HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Spotting Fake Jerseys

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2012, 05:40 AM
  #26
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
Wow, I had no idea there were so many jersey snobs out there.

I'm really am a lifelong learner...
You can call me a "Jersey snob", I can call you an "active financial supporter of criminals".

It goes both ways, chum. How's it feel?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:14 AM
  #27
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,623
vCash: 500
Actually, you know what? I hate people who think a guy like me is a "jersey snob".

It's like, Ice-Tray. Are you a gamer? Because if you own an Xbox, then by your own argument you are a "gaming snob", because quite honestly, THIS CONSOLE is just as good, but way cheaper:


So yeah, everyone that owns an Xbox is a "gaming snob" now.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:24 AM
  #28
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,836
vCash: 50
I'm surprised there'd be so much effort to make fake Ottawa jerseys. You'd think our fanbase would be small potatoes profit-wise compared to hitting the Habs, Leafs, Rangers, etc.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:40 AM
  #29
great1
Registered User
 
great1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fergus, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Another way to tell if a jersey is fake is if the person tells you they have a friend or family member that works for Reebok, I don't know how many times I have heard that. Reebok employees don't get jerseys for $50.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:38 AM
  #30
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by great1 View Post
Another way to tell if a jersey is fake is if the person tells you they have a friend or family member that works for Reebok, I don't know how many times I have heard that. Reebok employees don't get jerseys for $50.
It's usually the same guy who used to sell speakers out of a van, claiming that they "fell off the back of a truck".

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:12 AM
  #31
Romans12_12
Registered User
 
Romans12_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hayden, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
There is no reason hockey jersey's should cost what they do - none whatsoever. It's unreasonable. If these people who make knock offs can sell them for $50 so can the NHL if they wanted to. I have no problem with people buying unofficial (I wouldn't call them fake, they are after all Senators jerseys) jerseys.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
  #32
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
There is no reason hockey jersey's should cost what they do - none whatsoever. It's unreasonable. If these people who make knock offs can sell them for $50 so can the NHL if they wanted to.
There's no reason most things should cost what they do. Why is a hockey jersey any different than an xbox? Why aren't you buying the console I showed in my previous post? It's 1/5th the price of a real xbox. No reason an Xbox should cost what it does - none whatsoever. It's unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
I have no problem with people buying unofficial (I wouldn't call them fake, they are after all Senators jerseys) jerseys.
I wouldn't call this McDonalds fake, right? It's just "unnoficial":



It is after all a McDonalds, right? I bet it's cheaper than McDonalds. McDonalds shouldn't be as expensive as it is, it's a multi billion-dollar global economic superpower in the food industry. Look at their profits. Some people are just McDonalds snobs. Jeez.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:49 AM
  #33
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,558
vCash: 10639
There is one site ( I won't name) that has fakes that are pretty much an exact replica of the real Reebok`s.

I bought a knockoff Eberle jersey from that site (never bought a fake Sens jersey) last year and my friend went and bought a Reebok Replica Eberle jersey. I paid 50$ and he paid 200$+.

They are pretty much identical and the fabric on mine is WAY better than his.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:51 AM
  #34
Romans12_12
Registered User
 
Romans12_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hayden, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
No, that doesnt even look like a McDonalds. It is clearly a a store playing off what makes McDonalds popular. It's like from the movie Coming to America. The guy owns NickDonalds - they have the golden arches, he has the golden arch. It's not a fake, but he is trying to be like them.

I would say a the jerseys are more like this



This is a mac store in El Salvador. It's not a REAL mac store and you can prolly find some subtle differences once your inside to figure this out. But more or less its an actual Mac store, just not an official one.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:57 AM
  #35
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
No, that doesnt even look like a McDonalds. It is clearly a a store playing off what makes McDonalds popular. It's like from the movie Coming to America. The guy owns NickDonalds - they have the golden arches, he has the golden arch. It's not a fake, but he is trying to be like them.

I would say a the jerseys are more like this



This is a mac store in El Salvador. It's not a REAL mac store and you can prolly find some subtle differences once your inside to figure this out. But more or less its an actual Mac store, just not an official one.


Are they selling REAL apple products? If so, Apple is actually getting their cut off their brand. Apple is getting paid.

As for fake jerseys, neither Reebok, nor the NHL, nor NHL teams get a penny for their licensing rights and brands.

I'd say my example is a FAR closer analogy to the fake jersey issue than yours is.



... and if the "Apple Store" you show AREN'T selling legit Apple products, chances are you're getting a POS that will break within months of you purchasing it. If they're not legit iPhones, you're probably buying this:


BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:10 AM
  #36
KA BLAMO
.....
 
KA BLAMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,060
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
No, that doesnt even look like a McDonalds. It is clearly a a store playing off what makes McDonalds popular.
You mean like what all those knock-off jerseys are attempting to do?

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:15 AM
  #37
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 15,021
vCash: 500
Fake jerseys look like crap, that's my problem with them, not so much the supporting criminals argument. If they looked just as good as official ones I'd buy em, but they don't even come close. I really have no sympathy for large mega corporations like RBK and Nike so I couldn't care less about lining their pockets, but their product is significantly better than the fakes out there.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:33 PM
  #38
Ice-Tray
Registered User
 
Ice-Tray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
It really isn't that hard to spot a fake. I'll call my buddies out on having fakes but beyond throwing a friendly chirp, I don't get confrontational about it. I prefer real ones myself because I know my money is going to support the team, and I know the quality will be a lot better. I can understand why people would go the fake route, though. From a pure aesthetic standpoint, some of the fakes are absolutely hideous.

For example, this jersey looks absolutely terrible:
Totally agree with you.

I just don't understand why it's important for some to deride the choices of others. Some get a sense of pride by wearing an authentic jersey, some don't care. Some have the cash to drop on a real jersey, some are happy to pay as little as possible to sport the teams colours, or don't have the luxury to do it even if they wanted to. Making fun of people in fake jerseys to me is just as classless as making fun of the kid who wore the cheap shoes from Giant Tiger. Separate the jersey from the person and it's all good, but once a person starts making assumptions about the person in the jersey they start sounding like a pretentious jerk...

(razing amongst friends is always fair game though...)

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
  #39
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!
 
Rocket Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Capital of Canada!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,049
vCash: 500
Another way to REALLY tell a fake is to look at the material of the numbers stitched on. You will see stitched lines going through it on the numbers whereas the real ones will not have lines going through the numbers.

Some knockoffs are really good, some are ok, but the SENS Heritage jerseys are just horrible! They really missed the mark on that one, especially the All-Star patch which is gold??? for some reason!

Funny thing about that Kings jersey above is the knockoffs usually don't sew on that crest on the bottom front of the jersey with the jersey size!!!!!!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:39 PM
  #40
Ice-Tray
Registered User
 
Ice-Tray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
You can call me a "Jersey snob", I can call you an "active financial supporter of criminals".

It goes both ways, chum. How's it feel?
You'll have to try a lot harder than that to elicit an emotion from me "chum"

No it doesn't actually go both ways here, see I've offered no support for anyone, I've simply pointed out that you come across like you think you're better than other people because you choose to shell out hundreds of dollars for sports jerseys. I choose to disagree with the sentiment, which has nothing to do with my own view on jerseys.

You come across like a jersey snob so I called you out on it, simple as that.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
  #41
Ice-Tray
Registered User
 
Ice-Tray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Actually, you know what? I hate people who think a guy like me is a "jersey snob".

It's like, Ice-Tray. Are you a gamer? Because if you own an Xbox, then by your own argument you are a "gaming snob", because quite honestly, THIS CONSOLE is just as good, but way cheaper:


So yeah, everyone that owns an Xbox is a "gaming snob" now.
So let me get this straight, you act like a snob, I call you out on it, and now you hate me? I suppose I understand, I wouldn't like people drawing attention to my character flaws either...

As for the XBox stuff, I don't have one, and the only game I run is on ladies . However, I couldn't care less what gaming system a person owns, if it works it works. See you can buy whatever you want, or prefer quality to knock off and not be a snob, you become a snob when you rant away about how much better your choices are than those of others and then continue to make assumption about others who make lesser decisions than you.

You seem like a smart enough person, the nice thing about being a snob is that it's a reversible condition...

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
  #42
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: uOttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,645
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
Another way to REALLY tell a fake is to look at the material of the numbers stitched on. You will see stitched lines going through it on the numbers whereas the real ones will not have lines going through the numbers.

Some knockoffs are really good, some are ok, but the SENS Heritage jerseys are just horrible! They really missed the mark on that one, especially the All-Star patch which is gold??? for some reason!

Funny thing about that Kings jersey above is the knockoffs usually don't sew on that crest on the bottom front of the jersey with the jersey size!!!!!!
Most of the knockoffs attempt to mimic the RBK EDGE Authentics, rather than the Replicas. Only the Replicas have the jersey tag (the grey patch with the jersey size), so that's why most fakes don't include the tag. Note that most fakes also include the fight strap, which is another feature reserved for the Authentics.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:23 PM
  #43
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
You'll have to try a lot harder than that to elicit an emotion from me "chum"

No it doesn't actually go both ways here, see I've offered no support for anyone, I've simply pointed out that you come across like you think you're better than other people because you choose to shell out hundreds of dollars for sports jerseys. I choose to disagree with the sentiment, which has nothing to do with my own view on jerseys.

You come across like a jersey snob so I called you out on it, simple as that.
My problem is why you would think that someone caring between licensed products and illegal knockoffs of that product is being a "snob".

I mean, if someone can't afford to spend hundreds on a jersey, get a player t-shirt for like $30. I totally understand people not having enough money, or just not wanting to spend hundreds on a jersey. I'm not being a snob here. If you don't want to, or can't spend hundreds on a jersey, just don't buy a jersey.

If you have $200 to spend on a guitar and can't afford a $1200 Fender Jaguar, don't buy a knockoff Fender Jaguar, just go buy an entry level $200 Peavey from the rack at your local guitar shop.

My problem here is your usage of "snob" is very much a slippery slope argument. Any time someone prefers legal products to illegal ones, they're "snobs"? Preeeeeeeeety loose definition, if you ask me. I guess I'm a "watch snob" too, since my precious $30 Timex is a legit Timex-brand watch, and not some cheap $5 knockoff. Oh, and I'm a "phone snob" too because my Samsung Propel cellphone (truly a piece of garbage) is authentic, and not a knockoff version (though why anyone would want to fake this absolute POS is beyond me).

I have a problem with the way you're throwing "snob" around when comparing legal products to illegal copies of them.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:27 PM
  #44
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
So let me get this straight, you act like a snob, I call you out on it, and now you hate me? I suppose I understand, I wouldn't like ...
Admittedly, that should have been "I hate it when", and not "I hate people who".

I'll give you that. My bad on the mental fart.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:10 PM
  #45
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.
 
Goat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,616
vCash: 500
Lol this thread reminds me so much of those discussions with people who defend illegal downloading. So much win.

Honestly, the way I see it is that knowingly buying fake jerseys is just selfish. Not cheap, not stupid. Merely self-centred. A product of our entitlement culture. Does it really matter that jerseys are ridiculously overpriced and that corporations like Reebok make hoards of money off something as stupid and useless as replica hockey jerseys? Since when is it up to the consumer to set the price on a product? The seller can set whatever price he so pleases. Supply and demand. If you can afford it you buy it; if you can't afford it, you suck it up.

In the end, though, it doesn't really make a difference to me. I simply have no stake in it. Reebok and the NHL can crash, the market can become swamped with fake knockoffs, the manufacturers of the fake paraphernalia can get rich, and you guys can argue about it the whole way. It's all fun and games to me. IMO, the people who buy fakes are just as silly (no, not dumb, just silly) as the people who throw away money on frivolous expenditures like authentic NHL jerseys. Not for me to judge.

And I probably just pissed everyone off. Yippee kay yay, boyos!

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
  #46
Clamshells
Registered User
 
Clamshells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
why care if people buy fake jerseys? if they want an ugly shirt that looks wrong, thats their business and not yours. its also their money and not yours.

sure it sucks they they're supporting these fake jersey manufacturers instead of the team, but again, its their money and their choice.

point and laugh all you want but dont judge them or get mad.


and just fyi i dont have any fake jerseys.

Clamshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
  #47
Ice-Tray
Registered User
 
Ice-Tray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
My problem is why you would think that someone caring between licensed products and illegal knockoffs of that product is being a "snob".

I mean, if someone can't afford to spend hundreds on a jersey, get a player t-shirt for like $30. I totally understand people not having enough money, or just not wanting to spend hundreds on a jersey. I'm not being a snob here. If you don't want to, or can't spend hundreds on a jersey, just don't buy a jersey.

If you have $200 to spend on a guitar and can't afford a $1200 Fender Jaguar, don't buy a knockoff Fender Jaguar, just go buy an entry level $200 Peavey from the rack at your local guitar shop.

My problem here is your usage of "snob" is very much a slippery slope argument. Any time someone prefers legal products to illegal ones, they're "snobs"? Preeeeeeeeety loose definition, if you ask me. I guess I'm a "watch snob" too, since my precious $30 Timex is a legit Timex-brand watch, and not some cheap $5 knockoff. Oh, and I'm a "phone snob" too because my Samsung Propel cellphone (truly a piece of garbage) is authentic, and not a knockoff version (though why anyone would want to fake this absolute POS is beyond me).

I have a problem with the way you're throwing "snob" around when comparing legal products to illegal copies of them.
Perhaps I'm not explaining it correctly.

I don't take exception to you preferring quality products, I do as well. All I'm saying is that if you try and knock other people down a few pegs because they can't afford, or choose not to buy products of the same quality that you enjoy, then yes it is snobby.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
  #48
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
Perhaps I'm not explaining it correctly.

I don't take exception to you preferring quality products, I do as well. All I'm saying is that if you try and knock other people down a few pegs because they can't afford, or choose not to buy products of the same quality that you enjoy, then yes it is snobby.
I don't think I've ever done that.

I'd say I have a problem with people buying illegal merchandise, regardless of it's quality.

I do enjoy trashing terribly constructed illegal, copyright infringing products, I guess... but I don't feel the least bit of remorse over doing so.
If anything, I think the parallel I try to draw is that the lack of any care put into most knockoff merchandise reflects the lack of any care given to copyright laws and theft in general, which is what it is: absolute theft of intellectual property rights.

That's about it, though... I'd say that's the limit of my own personal schadenfreude.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:15 PM
  #49
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls
 
Leave Spezza Alone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 6,294
vCash: 50
I work for the Sens and it makes me cringe when I see fakes. Obviously, I wont call someone out. I completely understand saving a few bucks. For example if a parent doesn't know anything about hockey, they wouldn't know the difference between fakes and NHL certified. This is where these knockoffs get their business. They'd Google the jersey, see $129.99 on NHL.com and $49.99 on a different website. A person would automatically lean towards the cheaper one, not knowing it's a fake.

Either way, you're still representing your team by wearing their colours.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:57 PM
  #50
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,481
vCash: 500
First of all, let me just say that I agree wholeheartedly with BonkTastic.

Second of all, whenever I don't have the gold to pay for a hockey jersey. I don't buy a knockoff, I buy the real thing and pay the iron price for it.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.