HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Is this our roster going into the season?

Old
07-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
I don't see the big deal with having Ennis and Hodgson as our #1/#2. No one line is going to carry the scoring, we'll have a traditional 3rd defensive line and a line to muck it up. My line up right now would be...

Vanek - Hodgson - Pommer
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Leino - Ott - Gerbe (I know Ott isn't a center, he can take the draws and Leino can circle back.)
Kaleta - McCormick/Ellis - Tropp

No need to rush Girgensons and Grigs into the NHL, let them develop, after which Ennis, Hodg, Foligno, Myers, and McNabb slowly take over the team. Then with the addition of Armia, Girgs and Grigs, we will have a strong and balanced team all over the line up.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I'm expecting at least one player currently on the roster to be not in the organization come camp and one more player who isn't here to be here.

07-16-2012, 08:47 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Id say looking at this roster and the minimal urgency the front office has shown that they believe the players that will carry this team are in development now (Armia, Grigs, Girgs, McNabb, Pysyk, Myers, Hodgson, Ennis). Any further moves will be done with their future in mind. Which is why, as much as I hate it, I think the third will have Ville Leino at center. I can't see Darcy spending assets on a third center that we probably won't need beyond next season. So to answer the OP I think the current roster is fairly close to what the opening night roster will look like.

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Stafford-Ennis-Foligno
Ott-Leino-Pomminville
Scott-McCormick-Kaleta

This also allows them to save a spot for Girgensons who I think is rapidly becoming a front office darling.

However the roster the last day of next season is what really interests me as that will determine what the end result of this core shift looks like. Going into this season as a "show me" season. Room needs to be opened for ZG, Grigs and Armia. Who ever the 2012-13 goats are will be gone.
I could. A one-for-one swap of Leopold for a 3C whose contract also expires in 1 or 2 years. Or a depth defenseman like Pardy for a lesser 3/4C. It would create some questions at D if we moved Leo right now (basically, one of Weber, McNabb, or Pardy would have to be in the top 6), but it's the kind of deal I could see happening.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:25 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I could. A one-for-one swap of Leopold for a 3C whose contract also expires in 1 or 2 years. Or a depth defenseman like Pardy for a lesser 3/4C. It would create some questions at D if we moved Leo right now (basically, one of Weber, McNabb, or Pardy would have to be in the top 6), but it's the kind of deal I could see happening.
Not sure about that one. A 3rd line center is generally not going to have the type of impact a dman like Leo can have. If injuries hit, Leo can play big minutes and hold the fort until the injured return. A 3rd line center isn't going to be able to fill in for our top 2 centers. Btw I refering to guys that are just 3rd line centers like Chris Kelly, Goose and the like.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Stafford-Ennis-Foligno
Ott-Leino-Pomminville
Scott-McCormick-Kaleta
I think this is fairly close. I think there'll be a training camp competition between Adam and Tropp for a spot on the Vanek/Hodgson line. If Adam wins, Vanek will move over to RW on that line. I think Ott will take the faceoffs on his line, and Leino will take the center's responsibilities to accentuate his puck possession ability. Also, your lineup doesn't account for Gerbe.

Stafford-Ennis-Foligno
Vanek/Adam-Hodgson-Tropp/Vanek
Ott-Leino-Pommer
Gerbe-Ellis/Cody-Kaleta
x Scott, Ellis/Cody

If Girgensons is ready for NHL action this year, they can demote one of Ellis/McCormick.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:03 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

As far as the kids go, we're going to learn a lot more from training camp than we did from prospect camp. It's one thing to stand out against kids, but it's another to do it against men. I wouldn't be surprised, for example, to see Girgensons' physical advantage neutralized and Grigorenko's skills stand out more.

That plus the potential for a lockout increases the chances that when the season does start, the kids might be ready.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think this is fairly close. I think there'll be a training camp competition between Adam and Tropp for a spot on the Vanek/Hodgson line. If Adam wins, Vanek will move over to RW on that line. I think Ott will take the faceoffs on his line, and Leino will take the center's responsibilities to accentuate his puck possession ability. Also, your lineup doesn't account for Gerbe.

Stafford-Ennis-Foligno
Vanek/Adam-Hodgson-Tropp/Vanek
Ott-Leino-Pommer
Gerbe-Ellis/Cody-Kaleta
x Scott, Ellis/Cody

If Girgensons is ready for NHL action this year, they can demote one of Ellis/McCormick.
McCormick would have to pass through waivers, no?

Old
07-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
McCormick would have to pass through waivers, no?
Yep, so would Ellis. No biggie.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:47 AM
michaelsaas

I would really like us to find a 4C other than McCormick.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Girgenburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
I would really like us to find a 4C other than McCormick.
Kevin Porter.

Girgenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:59 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
Kevin Porter.
Is he physical?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:34 PM
michaelsaas

I figured him as an AHL signing, I'd rather have McC than Porter.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:10 PM
dkollidas

I think there is a strong possibility the "vet 3rd line center" they bring in will be Hecht. Depends on if his health checks out, but concussions are so unpredictable it's a coin flip, look at Andy McDonald, Connolly, and others. It's just an unkown. I think they bring in Jochen, give Grigorenko a shot for his 9 games, and keep Adam and Girgensons, along with Sundher, in the AHL for depth. McCormick, Porter and Ellis will start the season in the AHL.
They said on WGR they made an offer to Doan, so if they get him, I could see Grigorenko on a line with him and Leino, but I have a feeling he stays in Phoenix or goes to a place like SJ or LA to stay close to home.

On defense, Leopold will pair with Myers again, Regehr will be with Sekera, and Ehrhoff will likely be paired with Sulzer, but I believe it will be an open competition between Sulzer, Pardy, Weber, and McNabb for that last spot.

Overall I don't think it's a bad squad at all. Getting a guy like Doan would really help to secure a very good group of veteran wingers (Vanek, Pominville, Doan, Stafford, Ott, Leino, Kaleta) around a very young group of centers.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:48 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Would people be fine with just signing Arnott for this year and next? I think if we gave him a 2 yr. contract that would give the Sabres the depth they need to make a run. Also i seen Toronto wanting Arnott, and an article stating they would be cup contenders if they signed Arnott.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:58 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
I figured him as an AHL signing, I'd rather have McC than Porter.
No you wouldn't Porter is better in every aspect of the game besides fighting

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Would people be fine with just signing Arnott for this year and next? I think if we gave him a 2 yr. contract that would give the Sabres the depth they need to make a run. Also i seen Toronto wanting Arnott, and an article stating they would be cup contenders if they signed Arnott.
Based on how he was used last year, Arnott didn't get much of the Blues d-zone starts and coverage. That's what Buffalo is looking for most right now, someone to handle tough checking assignments and effectively handle the defensive side of the ice. The way he's been used recently, Arnott hasn't been doing that.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
As we eagerly await the start of the 2012-13 NHL season, here are the top 10 players on American teams ready for a bust-out year:
Quote:
Marcus Foligno, Buffalo Sabres

Sometimes, rookies who come into the league and play a few games end up having success right away.

This was the case last season with Buffalo Sabres forward Marcus Foligno. Foligno, just 20 years of age and son to former NHLer Mike Foligno and brother to current NHLer Nick Foligno, played 14 games with the Sabres at the end of last season when the team was trying to find a way to get into the top eight in the tight and competitive Eastern Conference.

While the Sabres fell short of a playoff berth, Foligno did not disappoint. He ended up scoring six goals and assisted on seven others for 13 points.

With his speed and eye for the net, Foligno is due for a big season next year with the Sabres.
Quote:
Tyler Ennis, Buffalo Sabres

The Buffalo Sabres are lucky to have a solid group of young talent on their roster.

One such player is forward Tyler Ennis. Ennis was supposed to have his breakout season last year but unfortunately an ankle injury caused him to miss 34 games. In the 48 games he did play, Ennis tallied 15 goals and 19 assists for 34 points.

With Ennis finishing last season with 29 points in 30 games and now fully healthy, one should expect him to have his breakout season in 2012-13.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...k_out_in_2012/

Kind of surprised that the author dismissed Hodgson, given his offseason training regimen with Roberts that gets so much attention and that he's going to get top 6 minutes this season.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Kind of surprised that the author dismissed Hodgson, given his offseason training regimen with Roberts that gets so much attention and that he's going to get top 6 minutes this season.
He didn't dismiss him, just omitted him. He already had two Sabres on his list (more than any other team), so it's not as if he could list everyone. I wouldn't view it as a slight to Hodgson.

Rhett4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:51 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...k_out_in_2012/

I'm not surprised Hodgson was omitted. I expect Ennis to breakout more than him (a bit older, has been in the league a bit longer, and showed he was on the verge of it at the end of last season). If Vanek can put together a good season, I'm sure Hodgson will rack up assists, but Ennis showed flashes of the ability to be a dominant offensive force in a way Hosgson hasn't in the NHL.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

What do you guys think of Malhotra being our 3rd line centre next year? Vancouver will probably promote Schroeder from the AHL to play on the 3rd line, and Manny's a bit too pricey for the 4th line again.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
What do you guys think of Malhotra being our 3rd line centre next year? Vancouver will probably promote Schroeder from the AHL to play on the 3rd line, and Manny's a bit too pricey for the 4th line again.
Can Manny still play anywhere near the level he did before? I mean after that injury can he still play a 3rd line, shutdown/top defensive checking assignments type game?

Or is he just a fringe 4th liner these days?

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:24 PM
McTank

I think this will be the roster going into training camp, if the G-Men dissapoint they may look into aquiring a one year rental center

Old
07-28-2012, 01:39 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I think this will be the roster going into training camp, if the G-Men dissapoint they may look into aquiring a one year rental center
I'm seriously uncomfortable with the idea of having two 18 year olds on the team.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:49 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I'm seriously uncomfortable with the idea of having two 18 year olds on the team.
We only have a spot for one of them, if either performs at a high level they will be given a shot at the spot I think

Old
07-28-2012, 01:58 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
If either earns a spot in camp, then I have no qualms about it. Just as long as the G-men don't get rushed onto the roster because we have no one else to put there.