HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers re-sign Peckham (1year/$1.075M)

Old
07-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Krut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Schultz
Petry
Whitney
Schultz
Smid
Sutton
Potter
Peckham

Really? 8 defensemen?

We got Schultz, Petry and Whitney. We don't need Potter on the PP anymore.
Peckham is slow and hasn't done anything in terms of development over the last year. I'd take Sutton over him.

I don't see why we've got 8 d-men... I kinda think there's a trade in the works... weird... really didn't think that we'd see Peckham get resigned. Makes no sense at all.
I'd rather have this than the alternative of having only 6 or 7 D that are reasonably NHL capable. Injuries are going to inevitably hit this team sooner or later, and if we have to risk losing a few guys over waivers in order to establish some real call up depth, then so be it. Do you want to see another Dean Arsene play a significant number of games with the big club again?

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

hahahaha Mean Dean Arsene

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Schultz
Petry
Whitney
Schultz
Smid
Sutton
Potter
Peckham

Really? 8 defensemen?

We got Schultz, Petry and Whitney. We don't need Potter on the PP anymore.
Peckham is slow and hasn't done anything in terms of development over the last year. I'd take Sutton over him.

I don't see why we've got 8 d-men... I kinda think there's a trade in the works... weird... really didn't think that we'd see Peckham get resigned. Makes no sense at all.
Potter is an easy waive IMO, perhaps a call-up for injuries. The Same can likely be said about Peckham, i'd like to keep him as an 8th but i doesn't look like the team will carry 8.

We need one more upgrade to push whitney to pair 3 (might be there already) and Sutton to slot 7.

Smid-Petry
NS-X/JS
Whitney-JS/X
Sutton

Waive/Re-call:

Peckham (Prefer to Keep him as #8)
Potter
Plante

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Potter is an easy waive IMO, perhaps a call-up for injuries. The Same can likely be said about Peckham, i'd like to keep him as an 8th but i doesn't look like the team will carry 8.

We need one more upgrade to push whitney to pair 3 (might be there already) and Sutton to slot 7.

Smid-Petry
NS-X/JS
Whitney-JS/X
Sutton

Waive/Re-call:

Peckham
Potter
Plante
This is what I'm hoping for. I really hope we find another legit NHLer on D.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardMonkey83 View Post
1.075M for head cheerleading job?!
This guy is a goof, nothing more than a chirpy weak team mascot
He will hinder our reputation more than enhance it

Bad, bad signing
That's really harsh. Teddy had one off season, cut him some slack.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:28 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I like Peckham, but we're getting a lot of bottom pairing guys.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
This is what I'm hoping for. I really hope we find another legit NHLer on D.
Unless a trade is in the works, I think what we see is what we're going to get as far as the Oilers defensive lineup goes.

Smid-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Whitney-Sutton
Peckham
Potter
Teubert

... And another year out of the playoffs.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tiger_80

Good. Best case scenario: Peckham has a rebound season and becomes a cheap tough as nails 6D.

Wost case scenario, he gets waived during the training camp. In that case he either gets picked up by another team or heads down to OKC to help shelter prospects.

Depth chart.

Locks in no particular order as far as projected minutes are concerned:
1.Whitney
2. Smid
3. Petry
4. N.Schulz
5. J. Schulz
---------

The following 6 guys will battle it out for the final 2 spots.
6. Sutton
7. Peckham
8. Potter
9. Plante
10. Teubert (2 way contract)
11. Fedun (2 way contract).

My guess is Fedun and Teubert head to the minors. J. Schulz makes Potter a bit redundant, while Plante may or may not be re-signed. I'd imagine Sutton and Peckham have the best chance to win those spots.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
I like Peckham, but we're getting a lot of bottom pairing guys.
Better than not having any. At some point either him or Potter will be on waivers and off to OKC or to whomever picks them up.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:36 AM
CupofOil

Hmmm, over a mil for a guy who will likely only be an injury fill in?
The team does need all the toughness that it can get but i don't see where Peckham fits into the every day lineup especially if Tambellini makes a trade for an upgrade but Peckham does provide a level of toughness and is solid on the PK at times so it's not a horrible signing. We could really use the Peckham of 2 seasons ago, lets hope that Kreuger gets the most out of him.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Hmmm, over a mil for a guy who will likely only be an injury fill in?
The team does need all the toughness that it can get but i don't see where Peckham fits into the every day lineup especially if Tambellini makes a trade for an upgrade but Peckham does provide a level of toughness and is solid on the PK at times so it's not a horrible signing. We could really use the Peckham of 2 seasons ago, lets hope that Kreuger gets the most out of him.
I think it comes down to we had to qualify him at that price or lose him for nothing. At the very least he gets another training camp to prove himself, if he isn't any good then off to OKC he goes.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I think it comes down to we had to qualify him at that price or lose him for nothing. At the very least he gets another training camp to prove himself, if he isn't any good then off to OKC he goes.
Fair enough. It can't hurt to create more competition as well as have more depth when injuries inevitably happen and if we can get the Wreck 'Em Peckham of 2 seasons ago, that will fill a need in the lineup.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:51 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
my fav peckham moment was when avery sucker punched smid and the melee happened, then as avery was leaving the ice he said something and peckham went flying through the gate at him. he's a solid team player and you know the boys love him cause he always has their backs. hope he can turn it around and have a strong developing season.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
my fav peckham moment was when avery sucker punched smid and the melee happened, then as avery was leaving the ice he said something and peckham went flying through the gate at him. he's a solid team player and you know the boys love him cause he always has their backs. hope he can turn it around and have a strong developing season.
Mine was when he had enough of Matt Cooke and took a 7 minute penalty, which I believe we killed off.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
How is this a bad signing? One year at next to nothing for a young defencemen who looked decent two seasons ago is not a bad move. He has a year to show if he belongs (maybe less than that if he's waived). Low risk, high reward. Worst case is he's gone in a year or less.

Too many people around here are more ticked that other D-men haven't been inked yet - and that's fine. But that doesn't mean this is a bad signing.
I hardly think of Peckham as high reward or a decent D option for a worthwhile NHL club. That he looked better than he is here is largely attributed to how bad this club, and its D core actually was. That provided its own illusion the year people think that they saw Peckham good.

This is what you get.

Kind of a waste of a space and a million bucks. I wouldn't have this guy as an 8 defencemen.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Oilers wanted to retain Peckham because the only guy with that tough skillset on defense is Sutton, and Teubert's not a lock to turn into a solid NHLer. If Sutton gets injured you've got a pretty soft defense corps, plus how many years does he even have left? You don't want to be desperate down the road and have to overpay for a tough #6 D. Thus the Oilers qualified Peckham, and it's only for one year so who cares.

Peckham didn't have a lot of options. Given his recent play and injuries he wasn't getting more term or dollars so he accepts his QO, which given his play last year is an overpayment. If he bounces back he can sign a better deal next year. That would be a win for everybody.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Oilers wanted to retain Peckham because the only guy with that tough skillset on defense is Sutton, and Teubert's not a lock to turn into a solid NHLer. If Sutton gets injured you've got a pretty soft defense corps, plus how many years does he even have left? You don't want to be desperate down the road and have to overpay for a tough #6 D. Thus the Oilers qualified Peckham, and it's only for one year so who cares.

Peckham didn't have a lot of options. Given his recent play and injuries he wasn't getting more term or dollars so he accepts his QO, which given his play last year is an overpayment. If he bounces back he can sign a better deal next year. That would be a win for everybody.
So we got Teubert for some unknown in trade for Penner who just won a Stanley Cup and instead of giving him the reigns we got Peckham suspecting that Teubert isn't half baked yet?

Man this has to inspire confidence in the org depth when we reload scrubs like Peckham who could audition as the leagues worst D last season.

ON CBC Peckmans toi would come with a slapstick laughtrack.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I hardly think of Peckham as high reward or a decent D option for a worthwhile NHL club. That he looked better than he is here is largely attributed to how bad this club, and its D core actually was. That provided its own illusion the year people think that they saw Peckham good.
This is what you get.

Kind of a waste of a space and a million bucks. I wouldn't have this guy as an 8 defencemen.
Don't try to trick me with your memory altering illusions Replacement. Your sorcery won't work on me.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Krut

Quote:
So we got Teubert for some unknown in trade for Penner who just won a Stanley Cup and instead of giving him the reigns we got Peckham suspecting that Teubert isn't half baked yet?

Man this has to inspire confidence in the org depth when we reload scrubs like Peckham who could audition as the leagues worst D last season.

Just because we acuire someone in a trade doesn't mean that we should automatically play him. As bad as Peckham was last year, he was still much better than Teubert who is younger and clearly needs more development time. The point is moot anyways, because there's a pretty good chance that both are going to end up starting the year in OKC fighting to be first call up.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:

Defense is a position that takes longer to master for most players. He's getting a chance based on past performance, not last year's play. Plus he's battled concussion issues which can take a lot of time. If Peckham comes to camp and sucks then he'll get waived but he's worth taking a chance on.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Hemsky4PM

Hall and Ebs enter their 3rd seasons. No sophomore slumps last year, I think we can expect 60-70 points and probably more in a full season from them both.

Hemsky had his worst year ever in terms of production.

Khabibulin was abysmal for his final 20 or so starts.

Yakupov comes in as a the no.1 overall pick. Past 5 no.1 picks have produced:
RNH- 18-34-52
Hall- 22-20-42
Tavares- 24-30-54
Stamkos - 23-23-46

Essentially, the Oilers should improve substantially if only through experience (RNH, Hall, Eberle, Dubnyk, Smid, Petry), talent increase (Schultz and Yakupov) and most importantly goaltending (Dubnyk).

If they can keep Khabibulin on the bench for 65 or more games, they will contend for a playoff spot. I still expect the Oilers to finish about 10-12th in the West, but only out of 8th by 6 or so points. I see Columbus and Anaheim being the most likely teams to sit at the bottom of the Western standings next season.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardMonkey83 View Post
Depth Player?
Really?
Yes. Really. He's not going to play in the top 4 and he's not going to see any regular time on the bottom pairing except as an injury/Sutton suspension fill-in. Ergo: depth player.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:49 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
Let's hope he can have a bounce back season. I really have no idea what to expect from him headed into things this year.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:54 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I actually like Peckham. Hope the injuries are behind him and he can add some needed toughness on the backend.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
So.. goodbye to Potter? Looks like Tambo will do nothing more to the defense. Dissapointing. He just doesn't get it.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote