HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: This is the last one, Really!

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

vCash: 500
Yesterday it seems so many of you were upbeat the Coyotes having a new owner today and Doan will resign with us. Today? I walk into some negative and very depressing talk.

How depressing? If we did win the cup this past season, our feelings of joy would be crushed by this summers activitves.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpedo View Post
Isn't today the last day that they can file a lawsuit? I heard the CoG attorney say this on THE FAN. Can anyone confirm this?
They filed their suit Friday afternoon.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-new...ales-tax-hike/

Old
07-16-2012, 12:01 PM
korpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
They filed their suit Friday afternoon.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-new...ales-tax-hike/
I can't see how I missed that. Thanks for bringing me up to speed. I'm usually on top of all the news

Old
07-16-2012, 12:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Assuming it's too late to relocate the team, is there any good reason why JIG would benefit from closing prior to a new CBA? Is there any benefit to waiting for a new CBA?

Old
07-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Assuming it's too late to relocate the team, is there any good reason why JIG would benefit from closing prior to a new CBA? Is there any benefit to waiting for a new CBA?
It would not suprise me if the CBA is playing into this. Joyce Clark said that in her mind COG has done everything required and in her view the next step is up to Bettman and Jamison.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:10 PM
DesertDawg

If they throw that case out, then I can see C&J not doing anything! And don't the Ownership have to trade hands and the Arena deal to be accepted before GWI can file suit about the gift clause (which I don't see it having any real merit).

Old
07-16-2012, 12:11 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
I think there's a huge benefit in waiting for the new CBA if I'm in GJ's shoes. From what I've read, the owners want even more than last time. If they're able to get anywhere near what they're asking, that's more money in the owners' pockets. Why buy now when you can and see how much more money you might be getting in the future if you were to buy the team?

I have no doubt the money is there with Jamison's group. Zero doubt, actually. I honestly think the NHL and the group are just waiting for things to settle down. Then again, I could be wrong.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:14 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave21 View Post
I think there's a huge benefit in waiting for the new CBA if I'm in GJ's shoes. From what I've read, the owners want even more than last time. If they're able to get anywhere near what they're asking, that's more money in the owners' pockets. Why buy now when you can and see how much more money you might be getting in the future if you were to buy the team?

I have no doubt the money is there with Jamison's group. Zero doubt, actually. I honestly think the NHL and the group are just waiting for things to settle down. Then again, I could be wrong.
But wouldn't that money be there regardless of when he buys the team?

I don't think anything in the CBA negotiations will be so dramatic as to change Jamison's mind, and I can't think of any particular reason as to why it would be advantageous for him to wait around.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
The obvious is that he would be included in the CBA dealings, also with this fickle fan base, it would be prudent if he could put together a very competitive product on the ice (which starts with bringing back Doan) and start an (overwhelming) marketing campaign.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

Why buy now? Well, why not? What would JIG lose? Say a work stoppage cancels the entire NHL season, wouldn't JIG still get the COG AMF? Pretty hefty AMF for a group that won't even have to take the hit of losses in their first season of running an NHL team. Wouldn't being simple arena managers that are way, way, way overpaid for not actually bringing in an anchor tenant be a good thing for JIG?

Old
07-16-2012, 12:24 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I have no doubt the money is there with Jamison's group. Zero doubt, actually.
Could you expand on that one? Because THIS is my #1 concern. My ONLY concern actually. It's been the case with EVERY potential owner - all talk, with no money behind them. The asking price makes no sense for an investor, yet there's been no indication that it would change. What makes you think this is different?

I'm not being a dick, I'm honestly asking. I would love some reassurance on the matter. Right now the silence is deafening.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
But wouldn't that money be there regardless of when he buys the team?

I don't think anything in the CBA negotiations will be so dramatic as to change Jamison's mind, and I can't think of any particular reason as to why it would be advantageous for him to wait around.
Yeah, it seems to me that the only certainty about the new CBA is that the owners will get an even better deal and the players will get an even worse one.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:30 PM
DesertDawg

I seriously doubt that there would be a lock out. Both sides have already said that even if they haven't agreed to a new CBA, they would still start the season (which brings up a lot of questions like the salary cap). And with the talk about the KHL expanding, I don't think it would be beneficial to the NHL as a whole to have current players playing overseas! IMO, they'll get a (compromise) deal done before the season starts.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Could you expand on that one? Because THIS is my #1 concern. My ONLY concern actually. It's been the case with EVERY potential owner - all talk, with no money behind them. The asking price makes no sense for an investor, yet there's been no indication that it would change. What makes you think this is different?

I'm not being a dick, I'm honestly asking. I would love some reassurance on the matter. Right now the silence is deafening.
Trying to find the article right now, but it has floated around the boards for a about a week, an article exists with a direct quote from Daly that Jamison has the money. The tax initiative should have little impact on the deal as it does not affect the existing tax increase, only future ones. I think Jamison is waiting for the all of the legal challenges to be ended, so the deal can be closed cleanly. If I recall correctly there was a clause in the agreement that Jamison and COG would fight any gift clause case jointly should the need arise.

Doan and Jamison have spoken more than once during free agency period. I think we can take the fact that Doan is currently unsigned as a positive sign about the status of the deal. It sounds like half the league has offered him a contract, and his agent has stated they have no future deadlines.

I see the CBA as being a possible wrinkle in a purchase timeline as rt has been exploring. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of buying before the CBA is done, I don't know.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
Trying to find the article right now, but it has floated around the boards for a about a week, an article exists with a direct quote from Daly that Jamison has the money. The tax initiative should have little impact on the deal as it does not affect the existing tax increase, only future ones. I think Jamison is waiting for the all of the legal challenges to be ended, so the deal can be closed cleanly. If I recall correctly there was a clause in the agreement that Jamison and COG would fight any gift clause case jointly should the need arise.

Doan and Jamison have spoken more than once during free agency period. I think we can take the fact that Doan is currently unsigned as a positive sign about the status of the deal. It sounds like half the league has offered him a contract, and his agent has stated they have no future deadlines.

I see the CBA as being a possible wrinkle in a purchase timeline as rt has been exploring. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of buying before the CBA is done, I don't know.
Here is an article from PBJ stating that Jamison has the money.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...r-phoenix.html

Old
07-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Article in today's Glendale Star. Other than some idiot ramblings, there was an interesting quote from him:

Quote:
If the city rejects the petitions, Jones said he did not know where to go from there because he could not afford to hire legal counsel himself.
I doubt Cobb has the finances for a big legal fight either, so I wonder if they will be able to find a benefactor.

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/art...9bb2963f4.html

Old
07-16-2012, 01:34 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Here is an article from PBJ stating that Jamison has the money.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...r-phoenix.html
WOW that was fast, thanks quickdraw! That was one of the ones I was thinking about, I thought there was also one with Daly's quote, something along the lines of 'Jamison has the money or we wouldn't be here right now' something like that.

I also am looking for the one from San Jose about Doan and his agent. Will post once I find it.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:37 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Ken Jones' latest statement:

Quote:
“I am one of the two originators of the referendum. We still expect a public vote on Glendale’s expensive lease with Jamison, the potential owner of the Coyotes hockey team.
We are determined to force fans to pay for their hockey. If the public doesn’t get to vote on the Jamison lease, we have two backup plans.
First, if it becomes necessary, a ground roots effort will be made to add a $30.00 surcharge or special use tax to every future ticket sold for regular season and playoff games. If this does not work, we will go to a Plan B and then continue until hockey costs are removed from Glendale’s taxpayers.”
It's pretty clear to me that he has a very personal issue with hockey and the Coyotes and the Coyotes fans. He hasn't had any other issues with the city budget - and certainly does not feel that his overuse of city water supplies warrants him paying more than everyone else for that water.

Seeing as how he had so much difficulty gathering the 1862 signatures needed to get the arena lease on the ballot, I don't know how he's going to get enough signatures for a referendum to add a $30 surcharge to each ticket. While the arena management issue was tricky and involved lots of different numbers, the average person will understand quite easily "add $30 to every ticket sold? are you CRAZY?"

Oh, and he admits he's going this route b/c he doesn't have the money to fight the earlier petitions being rejected.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Article in today's Glendale Star. Other than some idiot ramblings, there was an interesting quote from him:

I doubt Cobb has the finances for a big legal fight either, so I wonder if they will be able to find a benefactor.

I guess that it's their way of saying that they realize that they screwed up and have no way of winning if they did take them to court. They can't afford to waste their income on a losing effort!

I guess that it means that their 15 minutes is over!

Old
07-16-2012, 01:42 PM
drgregg

Here is the article saying that Doan no longer has any deadlines in his contract talks.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...ays-his-agent/

Quote:
Earlier, some reports said that Monday the 16th was a potential deadline for Doan to decide if he believed the effort by former Shark CEO Greg Jamison to buy the team and keep it in suburban Glendale was likely to succeed. Not the case, said Bross, adding there is no deadline or time frame at this point.
Hey, I finally did a quote correctly!

Old
07-16-2012, 01:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Does Jones think that the City Council is just a bunch of Coyotes fans that want cheap hockey tickets? Haha. Has he given no consideration to the fact that Glendale might he slightly less ruined with an anchor tenant in that albatross of a city center than they would be with an empty arena and a bunch of boarded up shops? Westgate is failing right now and that's with an anchor tenant. I hope Jones is also willing to burn down the arena, the mall, and the entire surrounding area and take the fall for arson.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:47 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
That's my thinking, assuming he has the money, why buy the team not knowing if they will actually play this season?

Old
07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
I hope Jones is also willing to burn down the arena, the mall, and the entire surrounding area and take the fall for arson.
But just think of all the water that would be used in putting out that fire...the water bills would be horrendous!

Old
07-16-2012, 01:51 PM
drgregg

Quote:

You are killing it on the sourced content today, thanks! That article is hilarious. Others have mentioned it but the $30 surcharge, bwahahahahahahaha! How one earth? He mentioned there was a plan B, but ominously didn't not share what it was.
Finally, a 'ground roots effort'? As opposed to a grassroots one? (Insert joke about watering yards, and water bills here)

Old
07-16-2012, 01:52 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Does Jones think that the City Council is just a bunch of Coyotes fans that want cheap hockey tickets? Haha. Has he given no consideration to the fact that Glendale might he slightly less ruined with an anchor tenant in that albatross of a city center than they would be with an empty arena and a bunch of boarded up shops? Westgate is failing right now and that's with an anchor tenant. I hope Jones is also willing to burn down the arena, the mall, and the entire surrounding area and take the fall for arson.
Maybe that is the mystery plan B

Closed Thread