HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Capitals Re-Sign Mike Green [3 Years/$18.25 million]

Old
07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
Hope he stays healthy.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:08 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

I'd be surprised if Semin wasn't offered a similar contract, this or $12.5 for 2 years. Contract seems maybe a tad high but the term is good for the Caps. Another 1 year deal is a no win for Washington.
I'm sure if he moved on he'd turn into Larry Murphy but Green drives me nuts in the playoffs. His game 7 versus Montreal stands with John Starks as the worst game 7s I've ever seen.

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 768
I'm glad it's not my team signing on the dotted line but what is Washington realistically to do? The guy is one year away from UFA. You either sign him for the one year, hoping he doesn't have too great of a year so that you can lock him up for longer, but then you still don't know what you're going to get.

If he does have a monster year after a full off-season of training, then he's going to be heading to UFA for a scary bidding war. I think Washington put themselves in the best situation honestly. It's "only" 3 years. You just gotta hope Mike Green becomes Mike Green again, and then you can work on a lifetime deal. I hope he puts up 50+ points next season.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Nick Rash

He'll pot 20 with Oates designing the PP and another Elite passer in Ribiero.

Nick Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:41 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Thank you! I was surprised by the reactions about how fair this contract was etc. in this thread.

The guy has only played 81 games over the last 2 seasons and during that time has only 11 goals & 20 assists - not exactly terrible numbers but a big drop off from his point per game seasons in 2008/2009 & 2009/2010. Plus a lot of time has passed from those amazing seasons, seems like Washington may have paid for past performance
You obviously didn't watch the Caps last year. Hunter benched Green last year for jumping into the play as the late man and scoring a goal. You know, maybe the fact that last year he wasn't allowed in the offensive zone had something to do with his lack of production? That will change this year under Oates.

And you probably shouldn't talk about things if you have no clue what you're talking about... The Caps played in what was easily the most offensive restricted coaching system last year, not only for Defensemen, but for forwards too. And it wasn't much better under Boudreau in 2011.

I'd be shocked if Green scored at a 40 goal pace again, but a 15-20g 45-60a season probably isn't too far fetched if he stays healthy.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Tont

vCash: 491
Considering how the last two seasons have gone for Green, I'm stunned Washington would commit that kind of money over three years for him. It could work out just fine, but I think this is pretty risky for the Caps.

Tont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:47 PM
TOML

My concern about this contract would be that upon signing his last contract, the injuries started piling up. His only injury-free season came just before his last contract signing.

During entry-level contract: 3 seasons. 1 game lost to injury. 174 games played. 58 games per season played, despite 2 stints in the AHL.

During last 4yr contract: 97 games lost to injury. 224 games played. 56 games per season played.

Injuries might or might not be a thing of the past for him, but at the moment he is a certified band-aid boy. And his performance when healthy is not worthy of $6mil plus regardless.

Here's hoping Oates positively affects his career. Otherwise this contract is a bust. Cheers.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:52 PM
changeiskonstant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
You obviously didn't watch the Caps last year. Hunter benched Green last year for jumping into the play as the late man and scoring a goal. You know, maybe the fact that last year he wasn't allowed in the offensive zone had something to do with his lack of production? That will change this year under Oates.

And you probably shouldn't talk about things if you have no clue what you're talking about... The Caps played in what was easily the most offensive restricted coaching system last year, not only for Defensemen, but for forwards too. And it wasn't much better under Boudreau in 2011.

I'd be shocked if Green scored at a 40 goal pace again, but a 15-20g 45-60a season probably isn't too far fetched if he stays healthy.

Don't bother. When he's putting up 30 goals, people here will cite his defensive miscues. When he's the best defensive defensman not named Alzner, he'll be compared to one breakout season by Karlsson. HF Logic.

Edit: And since he was injured, it's obviously comparable to Tom Poti. Fire McPhee, Tom Stark, etc, etc.

Last edited by changeiskonstant: 07-16-2012 at 02:57 PM.
changeiskonstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
What kind of coaching style will Oates employ?

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Sureves

Quote:

So what happened in 2011? Hunter wasn't there, so why was he on pace for 40 points?

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:54 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Doughtys contract looks like a dream more and more

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:54 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Actually, I think it will make Edler demand more than this and make it harder for the Canucks to re-sign him. Green was an RFA, Edler will be a UFA.
Oh crud I thought Green was a UFA, or a year away from UFA status.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:59 PM
changeiskonstant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
So what happened in 2011? Hunter wasn't there, so why was he on pace for 40 points?
lol. The one time HF doesn't dog-pile on the injury record. To criticize the point production..

Give him a full year on this contract, then by all means, bask in that sweet, sweet HF glory if your speculation holds true.

Last edited by changeiskonstant: 07-16-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old
07-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
You quoted the entire post and didn't read the part that answers the question before you asked it?

Anyway, I'm in the middle on liking this deal, but it's not much of a change in pay and there's more to gain in Green regaining his form than there is to lose in him not.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:04 PM
WNY to NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick rash View Post
he'll pot 20 with oates designing the pp and another elite passer in ribiero.
20 ppg?

i also enjoy everyone's HUNTER DID THIS FOR ONE REASON, OATES WILL CLEARLY DO THIS, b*ll***t

WNY to NoVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:10 PM
changeiskonstant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY to NoVA View Post
20 ppg?

i also enjoy everyone's HUNTER DID THIS FOR ONE REASON, OATES WILL CLEARLY DO THIS, b*ll***t
You ever think that maybe pro hockey players are a bit cautious/re-adjusting after returning from major surgery mid-season? Nevermind the new coach/new system aspect?

Old
07-16-2012, 03:12 PM
WNY to NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeiskonstant View Post
You ever think that maybe pro hockey players are a bit cautious/re-adjusting after returning from major surgery mid-season? Nevermind the new coach/new system aspect?
If i'm a GM, i sure wouldn't be giving a person as you describe (with a slew of injuries) $6M/year for 3 years.

WNY to NoVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
changeiskonstant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY to NoVA View Post
If i'm a GM, i sure wouldn't be giving a person as you describe (with a slew of injuries) $6M/year for 3 years.
A slew of injuries? Not counting a freak puck to the head blocking an Orpik slapshot, I'd call the groin injury the only major one. He/the caps rushed it, and he re-injured and opted for surgery to fix it. He stayed healthy and was by no means a liability down the stretch and into the playoffs. Sure it's a risk, but it's not the terrible signing that many here are painting it as.

My gripe is, he will always be painted as either a d liability when he's scoring, or a cap waste when he's playing positional d. The guy can't win

Last edited by changeiskonstant: 07-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old
07-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Robert Theodorson

I like how we're changing our identity by resigning a guy who doesn't give a single F when it comes to the postseason.

Amazing move by McPhee, I didn't expect anything less from the NHL's Lord of No Rings

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
bonzaibondra12

I love how people keep pointing out that he should have only got this contract with his old numbers.

If the guy was still at his old production numbers he would be looking at a 10 yr $70 million contract.

May be a little much, but it's short term. Nothing wrong with this deal.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

6m for 3, 5.5m for 5, 5m for 8, i like the 3 years. you pay for term. he'd have a 4m cap hit if he got one of those fraud 13 year type deals.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:50 PM
rye&ginger

Fair deal considering what other D men got pre UFA recently.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Elever
Hth

They really should have signed Carlson first if they knew that this is the type of contract that would be required to keep Green.

It's an overpayment no matter how you justify it whether UFA yrs or not but the mistake might be to give him this before signing Carlson.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Sure you can, a bad contract is a bad contract. I don't mind this signing, but the above statement is just wrong.
Well in that same vein, people can complain about anything, right or wrong. Opinions are just that.

Wideman got $5.25 mil per.

/THREAD

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
They really should have signed Carlson first if they knew that this is the type of contract that would be required to keep Green.

It's an overpayment no matter how you justify it whether UFA yrs or not but the mistake might be to give him this before signing Carlson.
Care to elaborate? Green's contract has no impact on the Carlson contract.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote