HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread III - Laughton all the way to the bank

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
No thanks to Mike Green.

You guys complained about Carle. LMAO. Green will take the cake.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Mike green actually has a shot.

I can fling peanuts off my penis harder than carle can shoot the puck

Old
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Yeah but Green is way softer than Carle and worse defensively. He may be an elite guy in terms of offense but come on. I see injury problems for him in the future if he doesn't fix his awareness on the ice. He puts himself in bad situations and he takes big hits because of it.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Prongo
Beer

Green just resigned for 3 years and 18.25 million

Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Mike green actually has a shot.

I can fling peanuts off my penis harder than carle can shoot the puck
Exactly..the peanuts part of course

Mike Green I think would be useful here no doubt ..just depends on the price. However, he would strike me as a Steve Duchesne type acquisition where he wouldn't have as much added value as we would hope for ultimately. Depends though...

Old
Krishna

vCash: 50
I can tell you haven't watched green recently..

He is on par with Carle defensively

Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Good.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:36 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Well that ends that speculation...

Old
07-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I can tell you haven't watched green recently..

He is on par with Carle defensively
Yeah the last two seasons where hes been injured half the season right? Green would get killed in the Atlantic division. Too soft and is a slouch defensively. No he's not on par with Carle. Not positionally. Not even close.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:54 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Can we offer sheet Weber with something that the preds might not match.?

Old
07-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Can we offer sheet Weber with something that the preds might not match.?
No, they will match any offer sheet. Poile has come out and said this.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
No, they will match any offer sheet. Poile has come out and said this.
Poile "misunderestimates" Homgren's "nukuler" option.....

Old
07-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Haute Couturier

I think Weber might just re-sign with Nashville. If he wants a contract that is going to carry him to the end of his career then he needs to sign sooner than later. The new CBA will likely put an end to these deals.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I think Weber might just re-sign with Nashville. If he wants a contract that is going to carry him to the end of his career then he needs to sign sooner than later. The new CBA will likely put an end to these deals.
Well both parties extended their times to accept the qualifying offer till August 1st. It seems like it might be a mutual feeling he wants to be there, but it should be noted he was offered a big contract when they offered Suter one. If he was really determined to stay there with out seeing his other options out there, I think they would have worked on that deal and got it done.

Also he can still sign that type of contract with another team if he is traded this summer unless they agree to a new CBA(unlikely this summer). Nashville is not the only team he will be able to sign long term with.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
If you have any idea what Holmgren will or will not do, you deserve a metal. I haven't a clue what the Flyers will do... I know they're generally impatient... love the splashy move... love guys like Weber.

I (as random Flyers/NHL) trade the Schenns every day of the week for a Weber. Do I think they could both be All Stars? Of course, but I also know that Norse Trophy caliber defensemen simply do not get traded in their prime and if they do, I bend over backwards to acquire them.

Since I prefer Couturier and know that it would be a bad PR move to put the Schenns together... then separate them before playing a game, it makes it even easier for me. There's simply no way that Nashville takes Voracek as a centerpiece. They'll get better packages than that.
That's one Scandi-naïve-ian post.

As much as I would love to have Weber become the new alpha male on this team's blue line, I'm pretty sure he'll reup with Nashville. Poile gave every appearance that he went hard after Suter, but never got the chance to counter Minnesota's offer, so he saves face on his promise to try to keep Nashville competitive.

Were I Paul Holmgren, I'd be ready to deal both Schenns, Laughton and a 1st as my sweetest offer.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=45626

Well some of the latest from Eklund on Weber..

Quote:
Of course there isn't an NHL team in existence who won't explore this, so you have to look more to the teams who have the funds to pay a D-man close to max money and who have the depth to give the Preds 2 top 6 forwards, 1 top 4 defender, 2 top flight prospects, and at least 2 first round draft picks... and in making the trade you have to be sure Weber will want to sign long-term with you...so basically: Who is nuts enough to do this?

From talking to people since the end of the season I know the Rangers, Sabres, Canadiens, Flyers, Bruins, Leafs, Wings, Hawks, Flames, Jets and Canucks are among the early candidates.
I really can NOT see a team trading 7 assets including three roster players, two top potential players and 2 first rounders for Weber. Like I said it would have to make sense for both teams to make a trade, this does not make sense for the team acquiring Weber. He would go to a team that is absolutely depleted in overall talent. I can't see all that going back.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=45626

Well some of the latest from Eklund on Weber..

I really can NOT see a team trading 7 assets including three roster players, two top potential players and 2 first rounders for Weber. Like I said it would have to make sense for both teams to make a trade, this does not make sense for the team acquiring Weber. He would go to a team that is absolutely depleted in overall talent. I can't see all that going back.
Yeah rationally speaking it's hard to see it costing so much but when you have so much demand for the guy then all reason goes out the window. Supply and demand my friend. The supply of Weber-like franchise D men is scarce and the demand is pretty considerable if that list of potential suitors who can attempt to afford him is accurate..

Old
07-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Eklund is a moron.

No one in the league is ever going to pay that price. That is essentially

Schenn + Voracek + Schenn + Laughton + Cousins + 2 firsts.

Lol, Give me a break eklund you idiot.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Yeah rationally speaking it's hard to see it costing so much but when you have so much demand for the guy then all reason goes out the window. Supply and demand my friend. The supply of Weber-like franchise D men is scarce and the demand is pretty considerable if that list of potential suitors who can attempt to afford him is accurate..
I could see it happening. I really don't know what the fall-out would be. Let's just play make believe for a second. Trade Voracek and Couturier (two top six forwards), Mez (top four defenseman), top flight prospects we don't really have but let's just go with Laughton and Cousins, and two firsts. That would leave the team looking like this:

Hartnell-Giroux-Read
XXX-Briere-Simmonds
Feds-Schenn-Wellwood
Rinaldo-Talbot-Sestito
Shelley

Coburn-Weber
Timonen-Schenn
Grossman-Gus/Gervais/Whomever

Sign someone still available to play second line, if you don't like Rinaldo and Sestito on the fourth line stick Harry Z in there. That team still makes the playoffs and has a lot to build on moving forward, despite the absence of the players lost. I really don't know if I'd make that trade because it is one hell of a shakeup, but it would be a good looking team if the deal went down like that. Also keep in mind teams rarely get their asking price, especially when the player may not re-sign with the team.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Yeah but Green is way softer than Carle and worse defensively. He may be an elite guy in terms of offense but come on. I see injury problems for him in the future if he doesn't fix his awareness on the ice. He puts himself in bad situations and he takes big hits because of it.
Green is better than Carle on both ends of the ice. He is not soft; he actually hits. Before he was injured he actually had a problem with being too aggressive going after some hits, taking himself out of plays and leaving his partner to deal with odd man rushes. Either because he spent a lot of time watching tape or because rust made him tentative, he seemed to have cut down on that since he returned and he was better off for it. Overall he looks like he has been steadily improving on defense, too; he was one of their best defenders for the Caps in the playoffs.

Yeah. Injuries are a huge issue with him though. And when he does have his brainfarts, they are just...wow.

07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I can very easily see us offering:

Voracek + Meszaros + Laughton/Cousins + 1st + 1st

While Nashville will want Couturier and/or Schenn(s), I don't know if Holmgren is ready/willing to push that far.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Prongo
Beer

Also seems like plenty of teams have offered Doan a contract, and not the Flyers. I don't know if they know he doesn't want to play here, or they just aren't interested in him? Just seems strange we wouldn't be in the mix for him.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I could see it happening. I really don't know what the fall-out would be. Let's just play make believe for a second. Trade Voracek and Couturier (two top six forwards), Mez (top four defenseman), top flight prospects we don't really have but let's just go with Laughton and Cousins, and two firsts. That would leave the team looking like this:

Hartnell-Giroux-Read
XXX-Briere-Simmonds
Feds-Schenn-Wellwood
Rinaldo-Talbot-Sestito
Shelley

Coburn-Weber
Timonen-Schenn
Grossman-Gus/Gervais/Whomever

Sign someone still available to play second line, if you don't like Rinaldo and Sestito on the fourth line stick Harry Z in there. That team still makes the playoffs and has a lot to build on moving forward, despite the absence of the players lost. I really don't know if I'd make that trade because it is one hell of a shakeup, but it would be a good looking team if the deal went down like that. Also keep in mind teams rarely get their asking price, especially when the player may not re-sign with the team.
That offense suddenly looks very pedestrian IMO.....moreover no to trading Couts!

Old
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I can very easily see us offering:

Voracek + Meszaros + Laughton/Cousins + 1st + 1st

While Nashville will want Couturier and/or Schenn(s), I don't know if Holmgren is ready/willing to push that far.
This is the exact type of deal I think we would offer. Maybe sub Meszaros with Coburn. It's going to be hard for a team to trade some of the extremely young and top potential talent for a player who will be a UFA after this year. Edmonton probably wouldn't want to move any of the big 4. The Canucks probably won't want to move Kesler and Edler in a deal for him. I have a feeling this will drag out all summer.

EDIT: Also that is about the return that Pronger got for Edmonton. He was 30-31 at the time but still the best in the game. Weber is younger, but I expect a package similar to that to get Weber for a team. Maybe add a conditional 2nd depending on if the team makes the Stanley cup Finals.

Voracek+Coburn+1st (2013)+1st (2014) + 2nd (conditional) (maybe add Cousins/Laughton)

Last edited by Prongo: 07-16-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old
07-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Well both parties extended their times to accept the qualifying offer till August 1st. It seems like it might be a mutual feeling he wants to be there, but it should be noted he was offered a big contract when they offered Suter one. If he was really determined to stay there with out seeing his other options out there, I think they would have worked on that deal and got it done.

Also he can still sign that type of contract with another team if he is traded this summer unless they agree to a new CBA(unlikely this summer). Nashville is not the only team he will be able to sign long term with.
Deals can take time so the fact that they haven't completed one yet doesn't mean they aren't trying to get it done. If he wants out it would benefit him to request a trade so that he can get a deal done with another team.

Closed Thread