HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: This is the last one, Really!

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 01:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
That's my thinking, assuming he has the money, why buy the team not knowing if they will actually play this season?
Why wouldn't he? Say the Coyotes lose 20mil a season. The AMF pays, what, 17mil? If he doesn't actually have to operate type Phoenix Coyotes, how much could Jamison possibly lose? Way less than 17mil. If he can actually book some non hockey events, he couod make a lot of money running the arena during a lock out with his fat management fee paid from Glendale.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Does Jones think that the City Council is just a bunch of Coyotes fans that want cheap hockey tickets? Haha. Has he given no consideration to the fact that Glendale might he slightly less ruined with an anchor tenant in that albatross of a city center than they would be with an empty arena and a bunch of boarded up shops? Westgate is failing right now and that's with an anchor tenant. I hope Jones is also willing to burn down the arena, the mall, and the entire surrounding area and take the fall for arson.
The dude is a bumbkin, a yokel, he doesn't care if Glendale thrives. Hell his dream is probably to replace Westgate with a giant trailer park.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:03 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

His quotes do make it very clear that he doesn't really want the public to vote on the arena - he wants the city to not pay a cent towards it. Because I'm pretty sure that if the public DID vote on it and they DID choose to pay the mgmt fee, Jones would then come up with a plan C, and a plan D until he gets is way. I vaguely remember someone associate with this whole thing saying exactly this.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The resemblance is staggering

Old
07-16-2012, 02:06 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
His quotes do make it very clear that he doesn't really want the public to vote on the arena - he wants the city to not pay a cent towards it. Because I'm pretty sure that if the public DID vote on it and they DID choose to pay the mgmt fee, Jones would then come up with a plan C, and a plan D until he gets is way. I vaguely remember someone associate with this whole thing saying exactly this.
That would have been his partner in crime Cobb, in his unfortunate interview with puck and gavel.

http://puckandgavel.blogspot.ca/2012...-joe-cobb.html

Last edited by drgregg: 07-16-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
That's my thinking, assuming he has the money, why buy the team not knowing if they will actually play this season?
I am quite surprised that folks are asking this question. Here are a few reasons why Jamison should purchase the team ASAP, assuming he plans to turn the Coyotes and Jobing.com arena businesses around:

1) Build the fan base - purchasing the team will remove uncertainty and allow Jamison a much better opportunity to start marketing the team to fans, consolidate current season ticket sales, and expand corporate support. Delays stabilizing the ownership situation can only continue to damage the team's market standing, as fans have been pointing out for years.

2) Stabilize the team - Failure to resolve the ownership situation could well result in the departure of Shane Doan, the team captain, and most popular and marketable player. There is virtually no scenario in which non signing Shane Doan would be a positive move for the Coyotes franchise. It seems quite unlikely that Shane Doan will wait until after the new CBA is negotiated to sign a new contract. He will need to get something settled long before then.

3) Build the Jobing.com business - The Jobing.com arena is floundering as a business, and desperately needs an arena manager that will pay attention and market it more aggressively. Currently, the Jobing.com has 6 non-NHL events scheduled in the next 11 months. If Jamison's group is truly interested in turning that business around, he needs to get started sooner rather than later.

I'd like to hear a few good reasons for Jamison to delay his purchase, particularly reasons that aren't simply in his own best interests. After all, the Coyotes and Glendale have had plenty of that sort of ownership already.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
drgregg

Given how much play it has gotten on twitter I am surprised that 'trickier than a tent full of clams' has not made its way here.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I am quite surprised that folks are asking this question. Here are a few reasons why Jamison should purchase the team ASAP, assuming he plans to turn the Coyotes and Jobing.com arena businesses around:

1) Build the fan base - purchasing the team will remove uncertainty and allow Jamison a much better opportunity to start marketing the team to fans, consolidate current season ticket sales, and expand corporate support. Delays stabilizing the ownership situation can only continue to damage the team's market standing, as fans have been pointing out for years.

2) Stabilize the team - Failure to resolve the ownership situation could well result in the departure of Shane Doan, the team captain, and most popular and marketable player. There is virtually no scenario in which non signing Shane Doan would be a positive move for the Coyotes franchise. It seems quite unlikely that Shane Doan will wait until after the new CBA is negotiated to sign a new contract. He will need to get something settled long before then.

3) Build the Jobing.com business - The Jobing.com arena is floundering as a business, and desperately needs an arena manager that will pay attention and market it more aggressively. Currently, the Jobing.com has 6 non-NHL events scheduled in the next 11 months. If Jamison's group is truly interested in turning that business around, he needs to get started sooner rather than later.

I'd like to hear a few good reasons for Jamison to delay his purchase, particularly reasons that aren't simply in his own best interests. After all, the Coyotes and Glendale have had plenty of that sort of ownership already.
As always, my view goes against the tide, chances are the asking price is the key to why the sell of the team isn't complete. If GJ right now is trying to get the asking reduced then this team is ****ed.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:22 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
Given how much play it has gotten on twitter I am surprised that 'trickier than a tent full of clams' has not made its way here.
That's because the clams are tricky enough to stay hidden on the HF boards! The tricky clams on twitter already know who they are, but there are plenty of the non-tricky clams here on HF.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
That's because the clams are tricky enough to stay hidden on the HF boards! The tricky clams on twitter already know who they are, but there are plenty of the non-tricky clams here on HF.
34 pages early but I vote for the next thread title to be Coyotes Ownership News: These Tricky Clams are Making Me Thirsty

Old
07-16-2012, 03:22 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

The CoG has now officially rejected the referendum petitions. It will be interesting to read the actual letter (I don't have a link yet).

Old
07-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
The CoG has now officially rejected the referendum petitions. It will be interesting to read the actual letter (I don't have a link yet).

I saw a draft. It just said "LOL"

Old
07-16-2012, 03:50 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Secret draft version of letter, leaked to reliable (but always anonymous) source:

Old
07-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
“I still retain optimism and I don’t think that’s foolish optimism,” Coyotes president Mike Nealy said Monday.

He said former San Jose Sharks chief Greg Jamison calls him regularly to ask for information as he works toward buying the team.

As of Monday, Nealy said season-ticket renewals and sales are at record highs for the franchise.
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blo...insider/166720

Old
07-17-2012, 01:12 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Good news all around! Looking forward to the initiative getting a court date and CoJones next deadline to expire.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
The dude is a bumbkin, a yokel, he doesn't care if Glendale thrives. Hell his dream is probably to replace Westgate with a giant trailer park.
Please don't take this the wrong way, as I normal agree and enjoy most of your posts: Perhaps your judgement has been clouded by having lived amongst what are sometimes dumb rednecks that seem to flourish in small towns like where you hail from in WY.?

Real country folks that work on the land that surrounds said small towns understand that even the dumbest of yokels often have a point. I don't know what happened that made you so bitter, but the ol' boy does have a point and only the future will determine if he's correct or not.

I personally don't agree with him or think it's time to "cut bait" either. I am of the opinion that he should have been the squeaky wheel prior to the arena being built, but that's not to say he doesn't have a point however, or that he should be belittled as a "bumbkin who wants a giant trailer park.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Exactly. Where was this resistance before the built the arena? That was the appropriate time to try and scuttle the while thing. My problem with these guys, and tea baggers in general is they always focus on how things should've been and are completely blind to how things actually are. The arena and city center are there. Arson is not an option. So what are you going to do? Well, for starters don't let your anchor tenant run off on you. We can go from there, but that's very obviously job number one if you are responsible for the well being of the city.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, as I normal agree and enjoy most of your posts: Perhaps your judgement has been clouded by having lived amongst what are sometimes dumb rednecks that seem to flourish in small towns like where you hail from in WY.?

Real country folks that work on the land that surrounds said small towns understand that even the dumbest of yokels often have a point. I don't know what happened that made you so bitter, but the ol' boy does have a point and only the future will determine if he's correct or not.

I personally don't agree with him or think it's time to "cut bait" either. I am of the opinion that he should have been the squeaky wheel prior to the arena being built, but that's not to say he doesn't have a point however, or that he should be belittled as a "bumbkin who wants a giant trailer park.
No I don't think the guy has a point, he had a point 10 years ago but now it's too late and all he can do is cause MORE damage yet he decides to suddenly make a stand anyway?! That tells me the guy doesn't care about the consequences of his actions, he doesn't care if Glendale thrives or not.

Quote:
Exactly. Where was this resistance before the built the arena? That was the appropriate time to try and scuttle the while thing. My problem with these guys, and tea baggers in general is they always focus on how things should've been and are completely blind to how things actually are. The arena and city center are there. Arson is not an option. So what are you going to do? Well, for starters don't let your anchor tenant run off on you. We can go from there, but that's very obviously job number one if you are responsible for the well being of the city.
Very well stated!

Old
07-17-2012, 07:14 PM
He Lied to Mario

Quote:
What a bunch of garbage with your tea party insult. Most tea partiers are concerned about how things are now. Like the deficit, etc.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Lied to Mario View Post
What a bunch of garbage with your tea party insult. Most tea partiers are concerned about how things are now. Like the deficit, etc.
I'm sure most have their hearts in the right place but their minds, well that's a different story. Anyway...this can't going anywhere, time to stop with the politics.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:47 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
time to stop with the politics.
This guy knows what I'm talking about.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:15 PM
kihekah19

[QUOTE=Sinurgy;52639765]No I don't think the guy has a point, he had a point 10 years ago but now it's too late and all he can do is cause MORE damage yet he decides to suddenly make a stand anyway?! That tells me the guy doesn't care about the consequences of his actions, he doesn't care if Glendale thrives or not.

The "more damage" part of your statement reflects OUR opinion, but it's based on things being able to improve out west and the subsequent uptick in dollars generated, not just by the Coyotes and their attendance, but in tax paying homes and businesses being built and prospering.

I believe most here (in an honest appraisal) are intelligent enough to see that if the above doesn't happen, this is not favorable to the COG. The deal however is necessary for the team and ownership group to even hope to be viable given the valley's pathetic fan base.

There is risk involved in all things and this is but a risk that happens to be the lessor of two evils.

We are optimists who believe there is no looking back and that things will improve. Those that don't believe are afraid and feel this deal is not worth the risk, it doesn't mean they don't care about the consequences of their actions. In fact they most likely say the same about us.

As I said earlier, only the future will determine... not necessarily who is right or wrong, but whether or not the "winner" in all this was right or not.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:34 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

From reading Jones' comments yesterday, it is quite clear that he does NOT want the hockey team in town. He doesn't care what it would do to Westgate or the Glendale economy as a whole - he just knows that he doesn't want HIS tax dollars to support the team.

I get it, really I do. But there are so many things that the government spends money on that I disagree with - do you see me taking them to court, tying their hands with delaying tactics? I think Sheriff Joe's Hawaiian Adventure was a big waste of funds. I'm not out there yapping my head off about it - instead, I can choose to show my displeasure by voting against him when he is up for re-election. And I think that some of the legislature's ideas are totally whackadoodle. Again, I can vote the more sane and rational candidate into office. That's how it's SUPPOSED to work - the general idea is 'don't vote the crazy people into office' and then if the ones you vote in do a poor job, vote them out!

Jones and Cobb wanted the public to have input. The public DID have input when they voted the council members into office. Then, when CoJones didn't like the way they voted, they chose to gather the signatures. So that was another time when the public DID have input - and they chose not to sign. The number of signatures they got makes it fairly clear that this is not an issue that the average taxpayer in Glendale is fretting about. So trying to continue to fight this would mean going over the heads of the citizens yet another time. We get that CoJones don't want tax dollars involved at all - but it looks like the public in general does not have that big of an issue with it. You can't say that you want the public to vote and then make sure to use the legal system to thwart their choice because you don't like it. Our constitution does allow for referendum and initiative, but you must follow the rules of law in order to use them. If you can't read the directions on this issue, why on earth would I ever trust that your ideas are better than the ones of the elected council members?

The good news is that ST are up 2000 from last year, and last year's STH have renewed at a record level. Word on the street is that there may be something announced by the end of the week - I've heard a couple of different days, but the overall feeling is 'soon.' For once, not a "couple of weeks."

Except, of course for the whole GWI and tax people - their case won't be heard until Aug. 14: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ge-aug-14.html

Old
07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
It's the constant delays and threats of litigation that are adding to what the Mayor once called the perfect storm that the city and team have weathered for some time now.

Keep "Ridn' the Storm Out" people!

Old
07-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

**** me.
Quote:
Judge won’t hear ‪#Glendale‬ sales-tax case until Aug. 14. ‪#Coyotes‬ http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ge-aug-14.html
https://twitter.com/LisaHalverstadt/...01617388806144

Last edited by Blubba Jenkins: 07-17-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Closed Thread