HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brashear

Old
04-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Stevens, especially when he was young, fought a LOT. The guy had 131 fights in his career. Part of his intimidation was that he would drop the gloves with you if he had to, and he wasn't a push over. You can't throw hits like him and not be able to back it up.
i understand that he would fight... but there's a difference between willing and looking for it... and that's it. Stevens voiced his presence with clean play... regularly. that is much more intimidating than a guy that just goes out and fights the other teams goon. what you need is the guy that is willing to run the other teams best player -- cleanly -- and then deal with whatever follows...

...and you have to do that consistently. Brashear doesn't make the other teams best players nervous -- partly because he should be out there across from them -- because he doesn't lay a lot of heavy checks. what you need is the guy that can play a solid game and is willing to take his runs at the opponents best players. that gets them back on their heels much more than a guy who's willing to go.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 11:54 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
i understand that he would fight... but there's a difference between willing and looking for it... and that's it. Stevens voiced his presence with clean play... regularly. that is much more intimidating than a guy that just goes out and fights the other teams goon. what you need is the guy that is willing to run the other teams best player -- cleanly -- and then deal with whatever follows...

...and you have to do that consistently. Brashear doesn't make the other teams best players nervous -- partly because he should be out there across from them -- because he doesn't lay a lot of heavy checks. what you need is the guy that can play a solid game and is willing to take his runs at the opponents best players. that gets them back on their heels much more than a guy who's willing to go.
But there aren't guys out there like Stevens anymore who can crush your best player and beat up, or at least hold his own, against their tough guys. Guys like Gauthier are going to get their ***** handed to them if we don't have people here to back them up. With guys like Eager and Downie joining the Flyers in a few years, we need a guy to settle the stuff they start. Not Brashear, but someone.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Ri hards

I wish we still had the Fridge...I mean he has quite possibly the best nickname ever!

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus_the_Pig_Fetus
I wish we still had the Fridge...I mean he has quite possibly the best nickname ever!
Not only that, he was the ideal guy to play the role we need moving ahead.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Not only that, he was the ideal guy to play the role we need moving ahead.
yeah, I know. Cheap, plays within his game, actually willing to drop the gloves. . .

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 07:59 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

We need someone with Gauthier's checking ability and Brashear's left. Who though?

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 10:10 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Go look through the Calgary GDT thread on the Anaheim board, you'll see how valuable an effective enforcer is and how when he's out liberties are taken against your team.
So, you are going to pick one game to base your opinion that there is a need in the new NHL for a player who's only reason for being on the roster is because he can fight? The majority of NHL teams no longer have these dinosaurs. Brashear is a waste of a roster spot and salary.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
So, you are going to pick one game to base your opinion that there is a need in the new NHL for a player who's only reason for being on the roster is because he can fight? The majority of NHL teams no longer have these dinosaurs. Brashear is a waste of a roster spot and salary.
It's only one example, you don't need to look far to find games that could have turned ugly had Brashear not stepped on the ice. The game against Minnesota where Boogaard was running our boys, the other night where he chased down the pansy who hit Rico, and those are just the ones off the top of my head.

As for him being panty waste: Brashear is an above average fourth line forward when compared with the rest of the league. You should be grateful that we don't have players like McGratton, Neil, or Roy on our roster. Those are perfect examples of "waste(s) of space." He can skate, he checks more often than not, he's shown more willingness to fight after getting into it with Esche, and has shown that he can occasionally stick handle as well. I don't know what more you could expect a 4th line player making 700K (estimated) to do.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 11:19 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
It's only one example, you don't need to look far to find games that could have turned ugly had Brashear not stepped on the ice. The game against Minnesota where Boogaard was running our boys, the other night where he chased down the pansy who hit Rico, and those are just the ones off the top of my head.

As for him being panty waste: Brashear is an above average fourth line forward when compared with the rest of the league. You should be grateful that we don't have players like McGratton, Neil, or Roy on our roster. Those are perfect examples of "waste(s) of space." He can skate, he checks more often than not, he's shown more willingness to fight after getting into it with Esche, and has shown that he can occasionally stick handle as well. I don't know what more you could expect a 4th line player making 700K (estimated) to do.
Chris Neil is a waste of space? I don't know about you, but I think I'd take his 16 goals and 17 assists over Brashear's 4 goals and 5 assists any day of the week. Since you brought up McGratton, he even has 2 goals and 3 assists in only 60 games averaging 4 minutes of ice time.

Look at the NHL stats for the season. The leading PIM guy is Sean Avery and he only has 257 PIMs. In fact, there are only 3 guys with more than 200 PIMs this season. Goons are a thing of the past and Brashear is a goon, plain and simple.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 03:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
brashear at 600k id take. like someone said that calgary game is a prime example of why you need someone who can fight but who plays a lesser role. while gauthier can fight D men are much more important than a 4th line forward. but brashear doesnt really have the skill to play, if we could get someone who could score like 10 goals or something it would be better. but ill take brashear at a 3rd of his salary from this year.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 03:23 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

There was an article on nhl.com where it mentioned that Brashear would be moving on. Aparently, Brashear has already been informed this would be his last season in Philadelphia. So, somebody is moving up. I guess they probably will go with Eager working Brashear's spot.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
There was an article on nhl.com where it mentioned that Brashear would be moving on. Aparently, Brashear has already been informed this would be his last season in Philadelphia. So, somebody is moving up. I guess they probably will go with Eager working Brashear's spot.
while this may be true, I have a hard tiem believing someone form management would tell him he won't be back. what would be his motivation for busting it for th eFleyrs. I now for a contract next year but that would be dumb to tell him he wont be back because anythign can happen.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote