HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 02:52 PM
esidebill

vCash: 500
I bought some 12Ks recently and they're a good upgrade over my Vapor X3.0s, but in the end nothing I've had seems to be deep enough in the right area. I have a rather large foot around the 4-7 eyelets and fail the pencil test on pretty much every skate. I've tried CCMs, Nexus, Reeboks. Maybe I'll just save up for a custom skate.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:52 PM
kevkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Have you tried on any of them?
As silly as this sounds, due to work commitments / my location I haven't had the chance yet. Obviously I am hoping to do this sometime soon when I can; but as stores offering these products are varied around the place I am trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for before going so that I can make a more informed decision when I do get the chance to go to a store soon.

Kev.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:09 PM
AIREAYE

Have you ever skated before? How tall/heavy are you? Are these for hockey or pleasure skating? How often per week do you want to skate?

Old
07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
kevkev

Quote:
Have you ever skated before? How tall/heavy are you? Are these for hockey or pleasure skating? How often per week do you want to skate?
I haven't skated for a while, so i would really have to class myself as a beginner again - however I do feel that putting an investment into some skates would therefore encourage me to get back into it and would really want to be skating twice a week at least, more if possible.
The idea is to get myself skating to an acceptable level where I could look at perusing hockey in the near term, so I would not regard these skates as being for pleasure skating.

As for height / weight I am not the worlds tallest or lightest male; I'm about 5ft8 and about 180lb (I think).

Thanks,

Kev.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:49 PM
AIREAYE

In that case I wouldn't look at getting skates that are at the bottom of their lines. The CCMs and Bauers you mentioned are such. Look at skates in the mid-end of the spectrum for a person of your build and your desire to play hockey eventually. Try on skates like the CCM U+06, Bauer Supreme One60/One.6, X3.0 or 4.0, Reebok 12K or old 6K, Easton EQ30 or S9 to start. Go with whichever fits you the best. Refer to the first page of this thread for fit tendencies.

Last edited by AIREAYE: 07-16-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old
07-16-2012, 03:56 PM
kevkev

I shall up my budget accordingly then, thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Kev.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:02 PM
AIREAYE

No problem, good luck! The reason why is that a very soft boot can be detrimental to your skating at that level and frequency. You'll very likely finding yourself wanting a new pair after a few months no matter the degree of fit. Why not simply invest in a good pair for hockey to start and spend the money on a better pair later down the road as you develop your technique and your own preferences.

I believe the guide should cover most aspects, but the key is that I cannot tell you how well a skate can fits, that's up to you to try on yourself. If you have anymore questions, please post them!

Old
07-16-2012, 04:58 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
I bought some 12Ks recently and they're a good upgrade over my Vapor X3.0s, but in the end nothing I've had seems to be deep enough in the right area. I have a rather large foot around the 4-7 eyelets and fail the pencil test on pretty much every skate. I've tried CCMs, Nexus, Reeboks. Maybe I'll just save up for a custom skate.
Maybe check out graf 709's. Among the deeper boots I've tried on...one100, ccm u+ cl, reebok 11k, flexlite 4.0 pro...the 709's seemed the deepest by a decent margin to me.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:01 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Maybe check out graf 709's. Among the deeper boots I've tried on...one100, ccm u+ cl, reebok 11k, flexlite 4.0 pro...the 709's seemed the deepest by a decent margin to me.
I haven't been able to find a pair of 709s available. Is it true they are designed for people with ankle injuries?

Old
07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
I haven't been able to find a pair of 709s available. Is it true they are designed for people with ankle injuries?
you're thinking of the 707's that were designed with extra space in the ankle area to accommodate for ankle braces.

you're on the island? if so, i think plaza sports in rocky point is a graf dealer...and there's also westside skate & stick who i know carries 709's.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I take size 10 player skates. Should I get the same size for goalie skates ?

Old
07-16-2012, 09:56 PM
AIREAYE

Should be the same size.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:23 PM
cherrypik

I need some advice. I'm down to the Bauer Nexus 600 and Bauer Supreme One80s. The Nexus 600 seems to fix a tad bit better but I think the One80s are a better skate(at least they seem stiffer). Can anyone provide pros/cons between the two skates?

Old
07-23-2012, 09:21 AM
CanFan05

In need of some much needed advice!

Hey guys,

I had a pair of Bauer X40's 8.0D and they were hurting on the side of my big toe and my feed would feel numb at the end of a game.

I've been skating for a year and a half (never skated before) and I didn't think it was worth it to shell out the big bucks on a top of the line pair of skates.

I recently went to LHS to try a new pair of skates (the sales poeple don't work for a comission over there) . The top of my foot is a bit high and the clerk measured my foot (8.0D).

I tried CCM 6.0 and Bauer Supreme 6 and One60 (the really good at the begining of this post was explaining that supreme has a wider forefoot). I only tried those two because the guy said that Reebok and Easton are not made for my foot (because the top of my feet is thick) and I could get lacebite.

CCM's weren't confortable so I skipped them early.

I loved the One60 but I tried the 8.5D and I had a full finger in the back of heel which is not good from what I understand. He then said I should try a 7.5 in the Supreme because I had a lot of space in the back of my heel.

The clerk was explaining that Supreme 6 and One60 is exactly the same fit. He didn't
have a One60 in size 7.5D but he made me try a Supreme 6 and they felt fine, except the fact that i felt the weight of my body on my ''inner big toe mound'' which is the bone underneath my big toe. The guy punched the skate out a bit and it felt a bit better. He told me that I could punch 'em out more if I buy them and that insoles (superfeet) would help a lot.

The side of my big toe didn't seem to hurt with the Supreme 6 and I walked a lot with them in the store. Only bothers me that I felt pressure on the bone underneath my big toe and I just don't want to end up with another problem.

I asked the guy if I could maybe bake them to brake them in more easily and he said that I shouldn't because they weren't made for baking.

Also, I was wondering if profiling the skate could give me more stability on the ice? The guy said that some profiles make the blade touch the ice a bit more and that could help me....

So can any of u give me some much needed advice?

Thanks a lot!

Old
07-24-2012, 02:01 PM
AIREAYE

What are you trying to ask?

-they can be baked, though it won't do too much
-don't need a profile to be stable

Old
07-26-2012, 11:01 AM
kevkev

Quote:
If you have anymore questions, please post them!
Finally managed to get to a skate shop today. They didn't have any CCM+06 's however they had some CCM U+08's that I tried and they fitted perfectly - also interestingly they were offering them for a lower price than the CCM U+06's.

Are the U+08s good skates / better than the U+06's?

Kev.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:37 PM
AIREAYE

Oh yes, if you like the fit then they are a good bet. Great for your level of play. At the U+08, you'll start to notice the benefits of a heat mould rather than in U+06s.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

Hello,

I've been skating for a while now with my son who is obsessed with hockey and I was looking for your opinion on new skates.

I do public sessions 2-3x a week with him, with the occasional stick and puck. I don't have any plans to play hockey but I do like to do stick and puck with him and I like to work on hockey stops, cross overs, etc. I never played hockey as a kid but roller bladed for many years so skating is very natural for me.

A friend recommended I get some Flexlite 4.0's since I can get a leftover pair in my size for a good deal, but I'm not sure if I should get a skate that is slightly more advanced. I have pretty wide feet.

What skate would you recommend for me with the things that I am doing? It might not even matter since they wont be for anything competitive but I am hoping I can learn some things and then help teach my son.

Thanks!

Old
07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
AIREAYE

First thing is always first, head on over to your local and get fitted. The fitter should help you pick out which skates in which particular level should work for you.

Those Flexlites are definitely high-end skates but provided they fit, it could be a good deal.

You live in NYC? There are a few good shops the Manhattan and the outer boroughs. Other than that, the bigger shops like HockeyMonkey or Pure Hockey in New Jersey would offer more selection and sales. I know PureHockey has their 20% off everything sale from Aug 3rd to Aug 11 or something. I'll be there as part of my NYC vacation in a few days!

Old
07-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

Ya the Flexlites fit well in the width dept but they might be a tiny bit big on me. Sitting down I can feel the tip of the boot but if I lock my heel in or stand up there is space. I'd say it would be a pinky thickness of room between my big toe and tip of boot. Is that ok? I'm not sure if you should always be able to graze the tip.

What are you planning on doing in NYC? Anything cool?

Old
07-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Went goalie skate shopping with my buddy at Sportschek. Their selection was obscenely limited.

Only two goalie skates were available: The One80 and the 7K.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:33 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Ya the Flexlites fit well in the width dept but they might be a tiny bit big on me. Sitting down I can feel the tip of the boot but if I lock my heel in or stand up there is space. I'd say it would be a pinky thickness of room between my big toe and tip of boot. Is that ok? I'm not sure if you should always be able to graze the tip.

What are you planning on doing in NYC? Anything cool?
Well the toe barely grazing is the definition of a perfect adult fit, but there will always be people who prefer a bit of extra room or a bit less room. As long as you get good heel lock, than that extra bit of room shouldn't be a huge issue as your foot is secure.

Just a general family vacation, but I want to focus on the food myself. A good way to feel the vibe of a city is through the food imo. Any recommendations? Thanks for asking.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Well the toe barely grazing is the definition of a perfect adult fit, but there will always be people who prefer a bit of extra room or a bit less room. As long as you get good heel lock, than that extra bit of room shouldn't be a huge issue as your foot is secure.

Just a general family vacation, but I want to focus on the food myself. A good way to feel the vibe of a city is through the food imo. Any recommendations? Thanks for asking.
at the risk of taking this too far off topic, i couldn't agree more.
as far as what to eat, it really depends on your taste. the most obvious choice would be to get some pizza. my favorite is brooklyn style, more specifically grimaldi's in brooklyn heights...chances are though, you're only gonna be in manhattan. if that's the case, then my favorites are lombardi's roughly in little italy, john's on 44th st. and angelo's on 55th st. near columbus circle.

any other suggestions, feel free to pm.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

Quote:

Hard to give you good examples of places to eat because there are so many good places, and in Manhattan you can find every single culture selling food, but since the previous poster mentioned pizza, I'd say skip the brick oven joints and go get a real old school slice. Ben's Pizza on Spring & Thompson has the best sicilian slice I ever had. Brick oven is good but I feel like I've had similar pizza elsewhere, but the sicilian at Ben's I've never had anything else like it.

As far as restaurants go, the wife and I recently went to David Burke Kitchen on Grand Between 6th & Thompson and we absolutely loved it. We're not foodies but we like to go out to a nice restaurant once every month or so and it's been a while since we liked a place that much. You'll need to make reservations for dinner depending on what day you want to go.

Old
08-04-2012, 03:41 PM
hockeydadpa
Rookie User

Kid with Flat Feet narrow heel...help!

Ten year-old wears CCM U+ 06s now, needs new skates. I will have him go back to those, but interested to know how Flexlite instep and width compare to U+s. Heard great things about Flexlites as a skate for younger players because of boot being not as stiff. Can't find a pair in local store to look at, but can find online, so wondering if u can help.

This thread is the best resource i have found so thanks!

Closed Thread