HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stapleton signs in the KHL (HC Dinamo-Minsk)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
  #51
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,701
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Yay, you guys used my YT video of Stapler's goal.

Hope I can do something more with that channel next season. I don't have the best computer or best ways of getting the highlights but I try.

Gonna miss the little guy.

__________________
Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:09 PM
  #52
New Jets
Jets fan since '79
 
New Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The River City
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Yay, you guys used my YT video of Stapler's goal.

Hope I can do something more with that channel next season. I don't have the best computer or best ways of getting the highlights but I try.

Gonna miss the little guy.
Be reminded that he wasn't good enough to be picked up by another NHL team.

This is every indication that we will not only be bigger but better in 12-13.

New Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:16 PM
  #53
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
Be reminded that he wasn't good enough to be picked up by another NHL team.

This is every indication that we will not only be bigger but better in 12-13.
How do you know he wasn't good enough, as opposed to just being offered a better deal?

And, for the sake of discussion, just what is "good enough"? The ability to skate like the wind, turn on a dime, pick a pass, and shoot with accuracy ... or the ability to hit someone in the head and not be called for it?

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:25 PM
  #54
roccerfeller
jets bromantic
 
roccerfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 240
Awwwww man


I was hoping he'd be back


But I wish him the best. Hope he enjoys the KHL and it all works out for him there.

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:30 PM
  #55
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,356
vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
How do you know he wasn't good enough, as opposed to just being offered a better deal?

And, for the sake of discussion, just what is "good enough"? The ability to skate like the wind, turn on a dime, pick a pass, and shoot with accuracy ... or the ability to hit someone in the head and not be called for it?
I liked Timmy Stapes as much as the next guy, but to call a spade a spade, he's really a depth forward who lacks a defined NHL role. He carved out a decent niche on the Jets "4th line" (whatever you want to call the junk line that was getting less TOI than GST) and as a PP specialist, but that was really more a testament to the Jets lack of firepower than anything else. He's a classic tweener who lacks ideal size and grit for a checking role, and isn't skilled enough to be in a scoring role.

Not saying there wasn't anywhere in the league where his services may have been of some use for a veteran minimum salary. However, I think the fact that Stapleton is now an expendable piece for the Jets speaks well to their overall roster improvement.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:40 PM
  #56
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,518
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I liked Timmy Stapes as much as the next guy, but to call a spade a spade, he's really a depth forward who lacks a defined NHL role. He carved out a decent niche on the Jets "4th line" (whatever you want to call the junk line that was getting less TOI than GST) and as a PP specialist, but that was really more a testament to the Jets lack of firepower than anything else. He's a classic tweener who lacks ideal size and grit for a checking role, and isn't skilled enough to be in a scoring role.

Not saying there wasn't anywhere in the league where his services may have been of some use for a veteran minimum salary. However, I think the fact that Stapleton is now an expendable piece for the Jets speaks well to their overall roster improvement.
This^ +1

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:10 AM
  #57
Tdoe42
Registered User
 
Tdoe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
Timmy's interview this morning on 1290 was a heart breaker lol he doesnt wanna leave

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:39 AM
  #58
ps241
The Danish Dash!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,923
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
Timmy's interview this morning on 1290 was a heart breaker lol he doesnt wanna leave
Yea he will probably make double in the KHL but he wanted one more year in Winnipeg. Just shows sometimes it's not ALL about the money.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:18 AM
  #59
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea he will probably make double in the KHL but he wanted one more year in Winnipeg. Just shows sometimes it's not ALL about the money.
And his contribution to the team just shows it's not ALL about size.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:31 AM
  #60
dpenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
really to bad chevy couldnt find that 13th forward spot for the stapler, especially knowing how much he loved it here and embraced the organization and city. I know the team is getting better with new acquisitions but i would like to see him in that 13th spot again sometime. Good character guy and seems to be close with wheeler and bogo who are our two best (will be) players.

dpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:24 AM
  #61
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,701
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Mod Hat On
No Politics talk. Talk about the Politics of Belarus is off-topic here.
Just a reminder, guys. If you want to talk Politics, that's what the Politics board is there for. Thanks.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:24 AM
  #62
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 2209
I'm sad to see Stapleton go, but why not put the shoe on the other foot?

On the one hand, you have a large, metropolitan, and relatively safe city of 2 million that has a history going back 1000 years. Plus there's a hockey team that's been around for a decade and is willing to pay you over a million a year to play a key role with them.

On the other hand, you have a small, not very diverse, and at-times shady prairie town with a 1 year old hockey team not willing to show you any commitment ... even at the league's minimum.

I'm not looking for an opportunity to slam Winnipeg, and I know the NHL is the best league, but I would like to point out that this isn't always a major sacrifice for these players at times. There's the perception that it's all backwaters, but really, is Winnipeg really a shining beacon compared to cities in the KHL?


Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 07-12-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: qep
GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:26 AM
  #63
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,518
vCash: 50
I like Stapleton... good guy and decent PP specialist. His numbers this year would unlikely be the same this year with his high shooting% and probably diminished role (especially if Postma is in this year).
All the same I will miss the guy and hope he tears it up over there.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:43 AM
  #64
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,325
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
i heard from someone the KHL game him 3mill, wondering if anyone can confirm this

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:51 AM
  #65
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
I'm sad to see Stapleton go, but why not put the shoe on the other foot?

On the one hand, you have a large, metropolitan, and relatively safe city of 2 million that has a history going back 1000 years. Plus there's a hockey team that's been around for a decade and is willing to pay you over a million a year to play a key role with them.

On the other hand, you have a small, not very diverse, and at-times shady prairie town with a 1 year old hockey team not willing to show you any commitment ... even at the league's minimum.

I'm not looking for an opportunity to slam Winnipeg, and I know the NHL is the best league, but I would like to point out that this isn't always a major sacrifice for these players at times. There's the perception that it's all backwaters, but really, is Winnipeg really a shining beacon compared to cities in the KHL?
Though i'd disagree with the Not diverse and at-times shady statements(not saying it isn't at times shady, just not any shadier then anywhere else, really) the rest of your points are bang on.

I think the KHL gets an undeserved rep, and I'd agree that not only will he get more money, he'll play a bigger role, and it's not as if Minsk is a giant penal colony, it's a historic city over twice the size of Winnipeg with a history of hockey.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
  #66
Aerial
Registered User
 
Aerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
On the other hand, you have a small, not very diverse, and at-times shady prairie town with a 1 year old hockey team not willing to show you any commitment ... even at the league's minimum.

... really, is Winnipeg really a shining beacon compared to cities in the KHL?
This has nothing to do with the city, though. If you listened to Timmy's TSN 1290 interview this morning, there's absolutely zero doubt that Stapleton would vastly prefer being in this "at-times shady prairie town."

As far as KHL / NHL cities, it's not really about what's a "shining beacon" or not, there's lot of cultural stuff that is part of it. A lot of KHL cities are fascinating to an outsider, and some I'd personally love to live in for a bit, but Russia (and Belorussia) is a really different culture and sociopolitical climate, with its own set of issues, and from my personal experience it can be pretty jarring to a lot of North Americans -- not bad but it's a tough adjustment. (We hear the same thing in reverse from some Russian players who come here too, and struggle adjusting to NA.)

Some guys and their families thrive with the change of scenery, but you DO see some guys go over and then leave pretty quickly because they're miserable about those factors and others more relating to the organizations. Stapes said this morning kinda only half-jokingly that he may end up back in North America by December due to some of those concerns.

Basically, what is or isn't a "shining beacon" is pretty relative.

That said, I hope Stapes has a great season there, great guy who's worked so hard for everything he's got. Hope to see him back in the NHL someday.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:07 AM
  #67
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
This has nothing to do with the city, though. If you listened to Timmy's TSN 1290 interview this morning, there's absolutely zero doubt that Stapleton would vastly prefer being in this "at-times shady prairie town."

As far as KHL / NHL cities, it's not really about what's a "shining beacon" or not, there's lot of cultural stuff that is part of it. A lot of KHL cities are fascinating to an outsider, and some I'd personally love to live in for a bit, but Russia (and Belorussia) is a really different culture and sociopolitical climate, with its own set of issues, and from my personal experience it can be pretty jarring to a lot of North Americans -- not bad but it's a tough adjustment. (We hear the same thing in reverse from some Russian players who come here too, and struggle adjusting to NA.)

Some guys and their families thrive with the change of scenery, but you DO see some guys go over and then leave pretty quickly because they're miserable about those factors and others more relating to the organizations. Stapes said this morning kinda only half-jokingly that he may end up back in North America by December due to some of those concerns.

Basically, what is or isn't a "shining beacon" is pretty relative.

That said, I hope Stapes has a great season there, great guy who's worked so hard for everything he's got. Hope to see him back in the NHL someday.
That was my point - let's not make it about cities and let's not slam Minsk and the KHL (see original comment I was responding to). The comparison of Winnipeg to Minsk that I made was a a shoe-on-other-foot hypothetical argument that was not meant to be taken literally. One could easily be sitting half-way around the world and see this as a no-brainer move.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:35 AM
  #68
Aerial
Registered User
 
Aerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
That was my point - let's not make it about cities and let's not slam Minsk and the KHL (see original comment I was responding to). The comparison of Winnipeg to Minsk that I made was a a shoe-on-other-foot hypothetical argument that was not meant to be taken literally. One could easily be sitting half-way around the world and see this as a no-brainer move.
Gotcha, sorry, I totally missed the other comment and thought the comparison was just coming out of nowhere. My mistake.

Bottom line, hope he has a great time there -- fun to hear he'll be keeping up with the Jets as a fan. Also nice to hear how much he thinks Montoya will fit right in with our group.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:48 AM
  #69
hockeyarena
Registered User
 
hockeyarena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 1503
not really sad to see Stapes go because i think we've upgraded but just thought i'd post this from his twitter account. Total class act...

"@Bluce_Reee: It's a sad day but also exciting Going to miss the greatest fans in hockey. Wanted to be back? Thanks for everything winnipeg. #gojetsgo"

"@Bluce_Reee: Who knows maybe I will be back? For now I get to join the party and be a fan. So who's jersey should I buy? Perhaps @Bogogo_44 @BiggieFunke?"

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:26 PM
  #70
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Little Timmy grew on me as the season went along but the sad truth is that if little Timmy could play as one of your starting 12 forwards your team just wasn't very good.
Very true and if he cleared waivers twice last season and couldn 't get a single offer from any of the 30 teams in the NHL he is not an NHL calibre player.

He was a proud jet and did all that was asked of him.

I am surprised zinger didn't try to sign him to an ahl contract.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:36 PM
  #71
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,148
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Very true and if he cleared waivers twice last season and couldn 't get a single offer from any of the 30 teams in the NHL he is not an NHL calibre player.

He was a proud jet and did all that was asked of him.

I am surprised zinger didn't try to sign him to an ahl contract.
Maybe zinger did
Stapler will make way more money in the khl then he ever could in the ahl


Last edited by King Woodballs: 07-12-2012 at 02:50 PM.
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:41 PM
  #72
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Maybe zinger did
Stapler will make way more money in the khl then he ever could in the nhl
Yup, it was a good career move for him.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:28 AM
  #73
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,622
vCash: 500
I dont want to create new thread.. D Arturs Kulda signed with Sibir Novosibirsk of KHL.
http://www.hcsibir.ru/

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:06 AM
  #74
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,161
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I dont want to create new thread.. D Arturs Kulda signed with Sibir Novosibirsk of KHL.
http://www.hcsibir.ru/
Hm. We ended up qualifying him, did we not? Retain the rights to him, we do. Does his RFA status get eaten while he's in the KHL? Too bad to see him leave, but he wasn't likely going to push into the NHL this year.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:59 PM
  #75
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 204
Sad to see Stapes go, but he is still a very small player whose only role on the team seemed to be moral support and filler.

Unfortunately there just wasn't any room for him this year with our two big signings (Ponikarovski, and Jokinen). Hopefully he continues to be faithful to the Jets and decides to sign here when he's ready to come back.

I've heard horror stories about the KHL. Apparently some of the teams are run by mobsters.... guys you definitely don't want to piss off.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.