HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo XXIII - Next Fall - Administrator Warning Post #548

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckHero View Post
I think it was 7's
7aughter.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
KPower

Lou finished 634th out of 6598 entrants and won $19,777.

He went allin with pocket 4's when he was low stacked and ran into pocket jacks.

His brother fabio finished 418th and won $28530.

Old
number72

Roloson was traded for Wishhart (first round prospect).
Halak (RFA) for two prospects (first/third rounder)
Varlymov for 1st and 2nd draft pick

Luongo could go for anything more than a first round/prospect or equivalent player to something more than a 1st/2nd. Though given Luongo contract length something around the value of a 1st round pick might be typical.

Old
kookboy

here is something that is rarely discussed regarding Luongo.

revenue generated by the organization/team for future playoff/games.

So many of you focus on his contract but don't take into consideration the massive revenue generating machine he can be just to put the team into the playoffs. That alone can surpass his entire contract. Then repeat for one/few seasons.

He may turn a team into a money making machine and a playoff contender.

That is worth a lot of coin.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
RespectYourEdlers

Harry Potter series next?

Old
07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Zippgunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookboy View Post

So many of you focus on his contract but don't take into consideration the massive revenue generating machine he can be just to put the team into the playoffs. That alone can surpass his entire contract. Then repeat for one/few seasons.

Sort of like the way he did when he was in his prime in Florida, right? Methinks you overrate Lou's star power.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:25 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippgunn View Post
Sort of like the way he did when he was in his prime in Florida, right? Methinks you overrate Lou's star power.
So you are saying shnieds is now past his prime? Lui was not in his prime with florida the first time. He was outstanding, but he is in the tail end of his prime right now, or the second half of it anyway. Prime is generally 28-35, and a little later older generally for goalies.

Methinks you like to underrate Lui.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Again, I don't think this adds to the discussion. It's from a radio interview that has been referenced several times in this thread.

Well seeing as how the "discussion" on this topic is really just spinning our tires on the same themes that were first brought up 28,000+ posts ago in "Dr. Luuuuu", I guess everything would fit your criteria for "not adding to the discussion". My point for asking is some posters use this "quote" - though it has never been quoted verbatim or even sourced in the last few dozen threads - as a shield to bully anyone who dares to question the risk of obtaining Luongo. Yet half the people who use it probably have never actually heard the interview or read a verbatim quote of what Luongo actually said. Since I doubt he actually said specifically when he will/won't retire, this leaves lots of room for people to read into it what they want and they regurgitate it here as "proof" of something. I could be wrong, but since I've never seen a link or verbatim quote it seems sketchy to me ...

Old
07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
The Selanne comparison (and I know, I know) is that he may play well into his forties.

But look at the numbers Selanne puts up. He could play, he could be great. He could play, and stink. He could stop playing after 6-7 years, but still be good. He could stink for all those 6-7 years. But Luongo is consistent year to year if nothing else. He won't simply drop off.

As for you element of risk, I agree. But I also feel futures are risky. I also consider players, like Versteeg for example, to be a risk because of his up and down preformances and playing for 4 teams in his young career. I'd say there is a better chance of Luongo playing hard enough to earn a Vezina, or even a cup, then there is of some of the prospects making an impact, at any point in their careers, in the way Luongo would to Toronto, or Chicago, or even in the upgrade from Theodore on Florida over the next 6-7 years, and even after. As you said, it's a question of risk, and the high returns would outweigh the risks to me. This is obviously where polite company will differ.

I have no problem making this about the risk elements inherent in both sides of the trade; that is what this forum should be all about imo. What I dislike is the faction of posters that toss out so-called "facts" (i.e. well it is a well-known fact that Luongo will retire in 2019) as a way to shut down discussion of these possible risks. I am a Canuck fan and I absolutely want the greatest return possible for Luongo, but I am also able to recognize that there absolutely are risks for any team that may seek to acquire him. His contract length is absolutely a risk. Is it an insurmountable risk? No. Is the exact magnitude of the risk known? No. But it is obtuse to pretend that there is absolutely no element of risk at all.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectYourEdlers View Post
Harry Potter series next?
Beatles Songs.

I made a huge list a few threads ago.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippgunn View Post
Salary cap

Old
07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
lush
@jasonlush

One of the reasons I think there is a slight disconnect between Vancouver fans talking about Luongo's contract and other fanbases talking about the contract is due to the fact Lu's contract was seen as such a big win in Vancouver. There were a lot of rumors leading up to the conclusion of his last contract that he wouldn't stay in Vancouver because the team wasn't competitive enough. When Gillis signed him for a lower cap hit then he had previously most people following the team reveled in the new numbers.

As a result I think it's natural that people in Vancouver couldn't be more unconcerned with the contract because we've seen Luongo and Gillis work things out be it the long term deal that paid Luongo but was also good for the team to giving him the captaincy and then taking it back when it made sense. I don't think you could find a single fan in Vancouver that actually thinks Luongo sticking around into the twilight years of his contract if he's not playing at an adequate level is actually a risk.

With that being said teams looking at his contract on paper outside of Vancouver see nothing but risk, and I understand that as well because you don't have to look very far to find examples of horrible long term contracts coming back to bite teams.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Hi guys...been at the cottage for a few days.....is Luongo a Leaf yet?

Old
07-16-2012, 09:47 PM
asdfman
Weeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
According to my sister's friend's cousin's aunt's brother's gardener, Luongo will be traded to Florida at some unknown point in time!
Remember, you heard it here first!

Last edited by asdfman: 07-16-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old
07-16-2012, 09:51 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Anybody have any guesses as to what Luongo thread we get to before he's traded?

I'll say XXXVIII.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Hackeybuff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookboy View Post

Hi.

This is what I believe.There is monetary issues at stake when it comes to the owners .

Owners are shelling out huge money and want that playoff revenue. the GMs feel enormous pressure to get that playoff revenue. There are only 16 spots and 30 teams trying to get it.

The players have dreamed about the cup since they were 5 years old so missing the playoffs year after year is devastating. The average NHL career is 6 years. You cant afford to miss even 2 years if you want a real shot at a cup.

If they feel they have no shot, they will want to move somewhere that they feel they do . I am surprised Lui hasn't been moved. I understand the rival GMs think they can squeeze Gillis.

But a team like Toronto its Russian Roulette. It doesnt make sense to me. Give up Ashton a first and salary dump is going to crush the leafs? They can stick Luongo on waivers at any time if they dont like his services.

I dunno. Thats my .02

Perhaps the reality is Luongo will not waive to go there. Toronto is the logical place from a hockey point of view.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:52 PM
EastCoastCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfman View Post
According to my sister's friend's cousin's aunt's brother's gardener, Luongo will be traded to Florida at some unknown point in time!
Remember, you heard it hear first!
WOW. your sister's friend's cousin's aunt's brother's gardener is SamJam?

Old
07-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Hackeybuff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
No. But who are the girls in your avatar. They are HOT.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
So you are saying shnieds is now past his prime? Lui was not in his prime with florida the first time. He was outstanding, but he is in the tail end of his prime right now, or the second half of it anyway. Prime is generally 28-35, and a little later older generally for goalies.

Methinks you like to underrate Lui.
Methinks you're worrying too much about what prime generally is and not enough about how Luongo's career has actually went. That Schneider remark made no sense whatsoever-- they're two different people!

Luongo's prime was late Florida, early Vancouver. He's certainly past it by now, even though he's still a great goalie.

I can't exactly see him dominating or carrying a team on his back and bringing them to the playoffs without a significantly strong team in front of him -- in fact, if I had to choose between the two extremes, I would lean closer to him starting to really trend downwards.

This idea that he's going to bring his star-power to another team as if it actually means something seems completely off to me.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Beatles Songs.

I made a huge list a few threads ago.
Can't wait.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:49 PM
HawksTillDeath

Toronto put it an offer for bernier

Man oh man....

That would reduce the luongo market even more...

And so to the Canucks dream offers

Old
07-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

supposed offer for bernier could just be a bargaining chip in regards to vancouver

Old
07-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
Toronto put it an offer for bernier

Man oh man....

That would reduce the luongo market even more...

And so to the Canucks dream offers
Apparently the reason for this is because Florida has upped their offer

Man oh man....glad I dont have Crawford as my #1 lmao

Old
07-16-2012, 11:05 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Apparently the reason for this is because Florida has upped their offer

Man oh man....glad I dont have Crawford as my #1 lmao
Where did you hear this?

Old
07-16-2012, 11:06 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by figz14 View Post
where did you hear this?
Hockey Insider....

How many times do the boards need to tell everyone, HI isn't real.

Closed Thread