HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Assuming same salary, same years, Doan or Semin?

View Poll Results: I would rather sign at four years for $6 million per year . . .
Doan 34 22.22%
Semin 96 62.75%
Neither, let's stand pat with what we have for now. 23 15.03%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
you seem very angry at people talking about doan coming here. why?
Reading my post I can't see where you see the anger. I did say "we" for starters.

Sorry if it came across to you that way, not my intention. Was just updating everyone before we get too caught up in it (because the 16th was to be the day we got a good sign or not potentially - turns out not). I had just read about it on TSN a few minutes ago. I would've been happy to have Doan here for a couple years on a reasonable contract.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Reading my post I can't see where you see the anger. I did say "we" for starters.

Sorry if it came across to you that way, not my intention. Was just updating everyone before we get too caught up in it (because the 16th was to be the day we got a good sign or not potentially - turns out not). I had just read about it on TSN a few minutes ago. I would've been happy to have Doan here for a couple years on a reasonable contract.
i was mostly joking about the anger thing. it just seems you keep shooting down any talk about doan. no worries you cheeky man.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:52 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I honestly do not think that Shero is interested in Semin at any price. I just get that impression. The likely scenerio now is we do nothing.

This is from July 10
Quote:
Pens Inside Scoop ‏@PensInsideScoop
‪#Pens‬ coach Bylsma says team is looking at Doan and Semin as possibilities for top 6. Added Tangradi, Bennett and Kennedy could fit -SK
I don't think Bylsma would say that if they hadn't at least been in contact with their agents. Now, granted, IIRC he was asked about them by a reporter directly, but if there was no interest from the team he would have said something else, right?

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i was mostly joking about the anger thing. it just seems you keep shooting down any talk about doan. no worries you cheeky man.
Well, if you consider that shooting it down, then I did do that in two different threads, but with the same, above-stated purpose.

I'm a bad, bad man. Maybe I'm hangry. It's almost dinner time.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
This is from July 10

I don't think Bylsma would say that if they hadn't at least been in contact with their agents. Now, granted, IIRC he was asked about them by a reporter directly, but if there was no interest from the team he would have said something else, right?
Oh, I noted that Bylsma quote before. Even with that i stand by the feeling that I have. Bylsma does not really care for pure skill guys, at all in my opinion. He needs guys to have a good deal of grit to their game or he has no interest. Yeah Bylsma mentioned the Pens kicking the tires on Semin and Doan, but in the end I would be shocked if Semin ended up here no matter the price.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:24 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Oh, I noted that Bylsma quote before. Even with that i stand by the feeling that I have. Bylsma does not really care for pure skill guys, at all in my opinion. He needs guys to have a good deal of grit to their game or he has no interest. Yeah Bylsma mentioned the Pens kicking the tires on Semin and Doan, but in the end I would be shocked if Semin ended up here no matter the price.
Oh, to be a fly on the wall in Shero's office ...

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Crozbar

At the outset of free agency, I didn't want to see Semin in a Pens uniform. But I've really talked my self into hoping he gets signed now.

I really feel like he could have a strong bounce back year with Crosby (or Malkin, if they give Crosby Neal). He's a skilled sniper and a RHS. Do want.

Sometimes Shero will bend on the "soft skilled guy" mold, see Sykora. Also I think going through seeing his stock drop and landing in former enemy waters without any friends could do wonders to turn his attitude around.

It's a worthwhile gamble.

6*4 ... okay. Even better if Shero can bring him in for less.

Worst comes to worst, he can always be traded. (Maybe.)

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Ominous Grey

For the price and term, I believe that either would be a very poor longterm move.

Pass.

(You want me to agree to Semin. Not gonna happen, you sneaky ********.)

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:33 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Read the question but didn't think and voted Doan. Would take Semin though.
Did same thing, voted Doan!! Did not read fully. Defnitely do not want Doan for 4 years and to be honest not AS either. But if had to chose it would be Semin in this scenario. I think results would be different if 2 year deal!!

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Did same thing, voted Doan!! Did not read fully. Defnitely do not want Doan for 4 years and to be honest not AS either. But if had to chose it would be Semin in this scenario. I think results would be different if 2 year deal!!
I think that's the point

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think that's the point
Yes, I get that now. I really missed the boat on this one!! I think I need a beer!!

Old
07-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Yes, I get that now. I really missed the boat on this one!! I think I need a beer!!
definitely. I think we all do.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I used four years because in that $30 million reported eastern team offer to Doan it was for four years. Semin has been reported to want a longer term deal as well. So used that term. You would have to make the dollars and term similar to make it an interesting poll. And has some basis in reality as those are the only reported numbers out there.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Tough call because I think playoffs Doan > Semin but regular season stats etc. I think it's Semin > Doan.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:42 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
I used four years because in that $30 million reported eastern team offer to Doan it was for four years. Semin has been reported to want a longer term deal as well. So used that term. You would have to make the dollars and term similar to make it an interesting poll.
Yes, totally makes sense!! I misread and misunderstood your intent even though very clear what your poll was about!! If pushed I would probably say Semin but would definitely consider staying the course.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
WVP

Can you use Doan in front of the net on the PP? Or is he "above" that?

Semin would be perfect if he wasn't Semin. Doan would be perfect if he wasn't old.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post

Semin would be perfect if he wasn't Semin. Doan would be perfect if he wasn't old.
Who is perfect? I did not even think that Parise was perfect seeing how he will be signed until he is 92 years old.

With UFA's to fill holes you almost always have to deal with some flaw, if only the cost and term.

For me Semin is the best among the flawed. All he needs to do is make it harder to focus on the Malkin line. Make your second line as dangerous. I would love if he was as gritty as Kevin Stevens in his prime to boot, but if he were the Caps would not be letting him go. For us he can fill a big role as long as your expectations are realistic.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post

Doan is not the type of player who is above anything IMHO!! Great team guy!! Two year deal maybe three I am all for!!

Old
07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Even if we could throw Doan in front of the net on the power play, Semin is a much better option if we're trying to upgrade the power play.

Nwpensfan is excited, apparently. Lol

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Even if we could throw Doan in front of the net on the power play, Semin is a much better option if we're trying to upgrade the power play.

these are very exciting times

and ya, Semin would definitely be the better option for the powerplay.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:57 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:

I agree with the PP point you make. I am excited about Doan only in that I was working in Phoenix for a year a couple years back and watched a lot of Coyote hockey. I saw the first game Sid played in Phoenix (2nd year I think because Geno played as well) when Sid scored while almost on his back!!

I am a big fan of Doan, no hiding it!!

Old
07-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I agree with the PP point you make. I am excited about Doan only in that I was working Phoenix for a year a couple years back and watched a lot of Coyote hockey. I saw the first game Sid played in Phoenix (2nd year I think because Geno played as well) when Sid scored while almost on his back!!

I am a big fan of Doan, no hiding it!!
I would love either. I would REALLY love both

Old
07-16-2012, 08:02 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I would love either. I would REALLY love both
Both on 2 year deals would be great!! We would have to get rid of contracts to fit under 50 would we not?? Not that this scenario is realistic!!

Old
07-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Both on 2 year deals would be great!! We would have to get rid of contracts to fit under 50 would we not?? Not that this scenario is realistic!!
there's no way we aren't at least getting rid of Lovejoy anyway. But ya, not exactly realistic unless they are pulling a Suter/Parise and something tells me they aren't on the phone chatting at night.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:00 PM
WVP

Quote:
Yeah, left circle is a bigger need for our PP since we tend to ignore that side of the ice, but dude in front of the net is also somewhat of a need unless we're just going to hand it to Kunitz. Staal's obviously not an option and I just can't picture Tangradi getting first PP minutes.

Just wondering if Doan has played that role in the past or not.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote