HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan Tested Free Agency, Got Back on His Horse and Stayed!

Old
07-16-2012, 04:16 PM
MP

vCash: 500
I might just stop following hockey if Doan leaves. Not out of anger--if he feels it's time to leave the freak show behind and win a championship, he's earned it in a way few other athletes ever have or will do. Right now though, I just cannot imagine going to the trouble of caring about this or any other team if that deal goes down.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If i had to guess with a gun to my head I'd say Doan signs elsewhere at least a full month before Jamison finalizes any purchase.
I'm the opposite and it's certainly not because I'm an optimistic type person. I just think ultimately when it comes down to it, DM will make Doan an attractive offer and Doan will follow his heart.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I'm the opposite and it's certainly not because I'm an optimistic type person. I just think ultimately when it comes down to it, DM will make Doan an attractive offer and Doan will follow his heart.
I guess my fear/concern/suspicion/expectation/belief is that we are a very, very long time away from the conclusion of a sale to Greg Jamison, if that sale ever comes.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
I might just stop following hockey if Doan leaves. Not out of anger--if he feels it's time to leave the freak show behind and win a championship, he's earned it in a way few other athletes ever have or will do. Right now though, I just cannot imagine going to the trouble of caring about this or any other team if that deal goes down.
OEL man. Such an entertaining player.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
I would find it harder to support a Doanless Coyotes team. It would be kind of surreal though. I started watching hockey in 2001 and have never known a Coyotes team without him.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
I would find it harder to support a Doanless Coyotes team. It would be kind of surreal though. I started watching hockey in 2001 and have never known a Coyotes team without him.
No one has. It would be the beginning of a new era for sure.

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
awfulwaffle

Doan or no Doan, I'm more worried about the team staying here in Arizona. I want an owner that will be solidified and keep the team here for an extended period of time. I'm used to seeing players go to another team. Doan is a rare commodity in the fact he has been with the same team since the draft, you don't see that, at all. It's a very rare thing, and I love it when players do that, but reality is they are businessmen as well as athletes, they want to go where the money is, and the best chance to win is. While we made it to the WCF this past year, I feel we overachieved for sure.

I wish Doan the best of luck, because with the full support of the local media, the Coyotes would have been just fine. It only took a great playoff run for the media to finally give a crap about the team.

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:26 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
Losing Doan would hurt because it can be avoided just by us having an owner and stability. It isn't that he's just fed up with a bunch of loser teammates who will never win. Having an owner 6 months ago would have meant Doan re-signing prior to the playoffs, avoiding the free agent temptations.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:45 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
Losing Doan would hurt because it can be avoided just by us having an owner and stability. It isn't that he's just fed up with a bunch of loser teammates who will never win. Having an owner 6 months ago would have meant Doan re-signing prior to the playoffs, avoiding the free agent temptations.
Exactly, it was never about the teammates, and never will be. He was happy here, and plenty of guys on this team are/were happy to be here.

As I said in the BOH board, I would like to see Doan sign here, and if the team moves and he doesn't want to go where they move to, demand a trade. And because of his dedication to this franchise, he deserves to be traded to where he would like to go, even if the Coyotes get not enough in return.

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:23 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
If i had to guess with a gun to my head I'd say Doan signs elsewhere at least a full month before Jamison finalizes any purchase.
GJ likely closes the deal by next Monday. Don't see Doan leaving before that and without giving Yotes every opportunity to match. Will they? Does he give a hometown discount? We'll see....

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Exactly, it was never about the teammates, and never will be. He was happy here, and plenty of guys on this team are/were happy to be here.

As I said in the BOH board, I would like to see Doan sign here, and if the team moves and he doesn't want to go where they move to, demand a trade. And because of his dedication to this franchise, he deserves to be traded to where he would like to go, even if the Coyotes get not enough in return.
I expect when he signs here there will be something like that in the contract and I don't see DM taking any issue with it.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post

Of course we want Doan to stay. But 4 years/$30M is too much for a 36 year old physical power forward. It may be blasphemes to say it, but at some point logic needs to prevail.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I guess my fear/concern/suspicion/expectation/belief is that we are a very, very long time away from the conclusion of a sale to Greg Jamison, if that sale ever comes.
I don't at all disagree with you there, I just think at the end of the day Doan will not leave this franchise when there is still hope it can be saved.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
GJ likely closes the deal by next Monday. Don't see Doan leaving before that and without giving Yotes every opportunity to match. Will they? Does he give a hometown discount? We'll see....
You believe we are six days away from close of sale? To local, long term ownership? I'm very jealous of you. Just out of curiousity, how long have you been following this mess? If it's been the whole way than kudos to you, and you are a better man than I am.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:23 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Of course we want Doan to stay. But 4 years/$30M is too much for a 36 year old physical power forward. It may be blasphemes to say it, but at some point logic needs to prevail.
Agree. Hopefully he signs a realistic deal here not what the dumbest GM will give him.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:26 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I'd love for it to be done today but next Monday sounds about right. I believe the lease had to be in place to get the financing done from everything I've read. After today, there should be no reason not to go ahead and put the signatures on it and move ahead with the financing and sale. That means there's not reason for Doan not to sign right now. The longer he goes unsigned, the more I think the sale is in jeopardy.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:26 PM
drgregg

I Still believe that the holdup is the lawsuit and potential lawsuit. The fact that Doan hasn't signed elsewhere by now should be an indication that all is well on Jamison's end. I am Doan's age, I have a wife and children to support; if the best Jamison had to offer me was that he is still working on the deal or any of the other nonsense comments that are usually tossed around I would have walked long ago. He has offers from many teams and could go wherever he wants, that fact that he is still here should speak volumes.

Luckily the initiative case will be heard soon, and the referendum case looks like a no-go. The deal will close soon, once these legal hurdles are clear, that's my take anyway.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
DesertDawg

IMO, the sales tax initiative will be thrown out, C&J won't bother with the referendum, and the gift clause can't be argued in court until after the new ownership becomes effective (and I don't think GWI will take it on anyways).

So did the Save Glendale group hired & paid $4/signature? No real incentive for the hiree to authenticate the validity of the Glendale residents signers or their documents. And that would be $16,000+ money being thrown away...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:28 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
You believe we are six days away from close of sale? To local, long term ownership? I'm very jealous of you. Just out of curiousity, how long have you been following this mess? If it's been the whole way than kudos to you, and you are a better man than I am.
Been here all the way through. I believe Monday is the day. We'll see.......

Old
07-17-2012, 09:56 AM
phamJET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKk2HXNPek4#at=32
Quote:
Been here all the way through. I believe Monday is the day. We'll see.......

phamJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:16 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamJET View Post
Sure hope Jamison didn't leave his wallet in El Segundo.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
One NHL GM tells ESPN’s Craig Custance that he’s “90 percent sure” Phoenix captain Shane Doan will remain with the Coyotes.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...h-the-coyotes/

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:55 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Good news.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

10% is still a lot, but I'm feeling better now.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
I hope the gm was Don Maloney.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote