HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings sign Damien Brunner (1 year for $925K)

Old
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Bench
urban sombrero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
, I'll eat like five hats if they actually send Brunner down immediately to start the season.
How many if Nash comes to Detroit? I don't want to eat a hat all alone.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
How many if Nash comes to Detroit? I don't want to eat a hat all alone.
Nash to Detroit? Hmm...

How about 10?

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:14 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I really hope Brunner can turn into a scoring winger for the Wings, but....

- the guy is tiny
- he's never played in NA, let alone pro hockey in NA
- the Wings have a glut of forwards atm

And so I think he's a bit of a longshot to be on the roster at the start of the season. Who knows, maybe he'll make an easy transition and blow everyone away in preseason, but I don't think that's terribly likely.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:31 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
I'm mostly optimistic about the Red Wings situation (especially compared to the nuts on these boards), but I don't think Brunner will pan out at all. Babcock had Leino on such a short leash in his first NHL season, it shocked me when I found out Babcock was basically the one scouting this guy and pumping his tires.

I watched every highlight video of the guy I can find and I just don't see his game transitioning to the NHL. He's exactly the type of player the Red Wings have a surplus of...smallish to average sized, skilled, European forwards.

Tatar, Nyquist, Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen. Now throw a 26 year-old Brunner in the mix who's never played on the smaller NA ice. I'm really not excited about him at all, but I hope he proves me wrong.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:06 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Let's not forget though that Brunner is more or less Babcock's signing, he went over to the WC (normally he wouldn't because the wings would still be playing) and saw him and instantly thought "that guy looks like a player, i want him"...

So i'm not sure he goes down so fast if he struggles, it's prestige in this because as information shows this signing was mostly on babcock

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:10 AM
tuuriman

I have a gut feeling that this Brunner-signing can turn out to be the best signing of this off-season for Wings.
He was really good in IIHF WC this year.

tuuriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:57 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post

- the guy is tiny

And so I think he's a bit of a longshot to be on the roster at the start of the season. Who knows, maybe he'll make an easy transition and blow everyone away in preseason, but I don't think that's terribly likely.
It helps a bit that he's coming from NLA and not the SEL imo, at least at his age. The Swiss league(even National team) plays with a lot of North American influences as there are many North American coaches there, including one on the team he came from. A third of the league's players are North Americans aswell.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing him in action.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
It helps a bit that he's coming from NLA and not the SEL imo, at least at his age. The Swiss league(even National team) plays with a lot of North American influences as there are many North American coaches there, including one on the team he came from. A third of the league's players are North Americans aswell.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing him in action.
Some, 1 ! That in my view shouldn't be in the team ;-)

About NLA their are as many NA players as Swedes or others.
On top of that we have the biggest hockey rink ! (Finns have sizes between NA and Europe, don't know about Sweden)

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:

- the guy is tiny

He's bigger than Hudler, he's faster than Hudler, he's more natural scorer than Hudler with better handness (for Wings need).

That combination, even without NHL experience, could be very effective at Wings roster. He will be our "Semin" if we don't sign that real Semin.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:55 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Let's not forget though that Brunner is more or less Babcock's signing, he went over to the WC (normally he wouldn't because the wings would still be playing) and saw him and instantly thought "that guy looks like a player, i want him"...

So i'm not sure he goes down so fast if he struggles, it's prestige in this because as information shows this signing was mostly on babcock
This is what I was thinking.
Babcock is more likely to givethis guy every chance to succeed.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:10 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
He's bigger than Hudler, he's faster than Hudler, he's more natural scorer than Hudler with better handness (for Wings need).

That combination, even without NHL experience, could be very effective at Wings roster. He will be our "Semin" if we don't sign that real Semin.
Also the Wings have proven they know how to bring players to NA and help them get accustomed to the game.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:

Could be. I agree. Just don't think it's likely, at least not right off the bat.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Could be. I agree. Just don't think it's likely, at least not right off the bat.
Agreed. He could also just as easily be the next Ville Leino. Unlike Semin, or Hudler for that matter, Brunner's ability to score in the NHL is unknown.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
Agreed. He could also just as easily be the next Ville Leino. Unlike Semin, or Hudler for that matter, Brunner's ability to score in the NHL is unknown.
Ville Leino was like Hudler, slow skater with a mind of playmaker. Brunner is fast skating sniper. Lots of better odds to fit in.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Ville Leino was like Hudler, slow skater with a mind of playmaker. Brunner is fast skating sniper. Lots of better odds to fit in.
Better odds if you discount the fact that Hudler and Leino have both played NA hockey and have, to varying degrees, succeeded at it. Brunner has not played NA, and therefor not succeeded. He's a question mark at this point. Going from the Swiss league to the NHL is a HUGE transition.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Frk It
#Snipequist

I have some hope for Brunner, but I realize that it may be a tough transition for him initially as well. Watching some limited clips of him, I like how he seems to like to shoot the puck, and he seems to have a very accurate shot. That is something I think the Wings could benefit from very much, and something that frustrates me as a fan of the Wings. I don't know how many times I watch wingers on this team have space in 2 on 1's, or open ice on power plays, and they simply can't place the puck on their shots, or are very hesitant to shoot. I don't know how many times guys get great scoring chances close to the net (cough Dan Cleary cough), and players can't elevate the puck high to the top half of the net to score. Brunner seems to be able to do these things well, which apart from the rest of his game, should hopefully transition in a good way to his play in North America. I understand I am working with a limited sample size, but I am trying to make the best observations I can. He is going to have to process the game much faster, and learn to make some adjustments, but I have some hope for him because of the tools he seems to have.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:53 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I hope he fits in and what he has accomplished to date in his league and internationally shouldn't be thrown out. With that said when I watch a lot of his highlights if he thinks that will fly with big physical NHL d-men patrolling the middle he is in for some adjustment period. His speed and shot are NHL caliber, it is how he reads the game that will be telling. He preys upon the time and space he is given, that will not be there to the same degree in the NHL.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:16 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I'm still convinced that transitioning to the NA game is going to be a challenge for Brunner, and he could fail, but I heard a tidbit from my contact at the Joe.... Basically, the Wings front office (in addition to Babcock, whom we already know about) has serious expectations for this guy. Bigger than they did with Leino or Brunnstrom. The way he said it, I'm not as convinced that Brunner will start the year in GR as I was. In which case we really would have 16 rostered forwards once Abdelkader signs (and assuming Homer retires). Something will have to give....

Old
07-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

I agree, weird though because Babs apparently covets big bodies and this guy is a pipsqueak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:58 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
I agree, weird though because Babs apparently covets big bodies and this guy is a pipsqueak.
I think Bab's philosophy is if you don't have size you have to have skill.

I haven't seen anything of Brunner except highlights but given his lack of size I hope that Babcock saw a ton of skill in him other than his speed.

FlashyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

What do you guys know or think about this guy defensively? I know he is pretty small. Is he capable of matching up against NHL sized guys who have the puck?

Old
07-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

That is the x factor that gives me a little hope for the guy. If Babs tossed size out the window he must see dazzle in the skill dept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
I think Bab's philosophy is if you don't have size you have to have skill.

I haven't seen anything of Brunner except highlights but given his lack of size I hope that Babcock saw a ton of skill in him other than his speed.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:05 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
That is the x factor that gives me a little hope for the guy. If Babs tossed size out the window he must see dazzle in the skill dept.
That would be a huge addition to the team if he does.

Even if his best asset is his speed we'd have an insanely fast line with Tootoo, him and Helm. Probably one of the fastest in the league.

FlashyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:06 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
What do you guys know or think about this guy defensively? I know he is pretty small. Is he capable of matching up against NHL sized guys who have the puck?
He fights well in the corner and battles above his weight, gains ground with good understanding from my limited viewings mostly at the World Championships.

The one thing I can say is he better be careful with some of the ways he attacks the net, guys will punish you for some of the stuff he pulls over in Europe in the NHL. Eventually I really believe one of these late bloomers from Europe is going to push through kind of like PA or Marty did from lower levels of hockey. He has NHL speed and hands, it is how he reads the game when it speeds up and if he puts himself in knockout spots that worries me.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:17 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
His defense needs work, but it's not because of his size. His size is good enough, and he reportedly has pretty good strength for his size too, so he's not weak.