HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question About Prospect Development

Old
07-15-2012, 12:31 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
If you see nhl elite first line talent (or even SECOND line talent) on that marlies team... then I don't know what to say.
You seem to be upping the ante each time DO. We showed you yesterday that the Leafs have plenty of 1st and 2ndline talent with the big club and with the AHL team, and in the system.

you'vealready admitted we have strong defencive talent in our system. You've already admitted Kessel is as god as Nail, and that you think Lupul is good but has to prove he can stay healthy. You've even told us you think JVR could be really good. I seem to remember you liking Kadri too, but he does have something to prove. How about Grabs and Kulein and Frattin? Are they all 3rd line talent?

I understand you want a cut and dried 1st line center. But why tell us we have no 1st or 2nd line talent with these players around? All of them could be her 3-5 years or more.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:32 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Our prospect pool looks like it came from a semi competitive team that snuck in or out of the playoffs the past four seasons.
Not a team that has finished bottom 10 four years in a row (twice bottom 5).
To have mediocre prospects after finishing THAT badly in the standings is a disgrace.
What about the young players that aren't "Prospects" but are still pieces for years to come? JVR, Kadri, Kessel,Gardiner, Reimer, Scrivens, ETC?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:34 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
To have mediocre prospects after finishing THAT badly in the standings is a disgrace.
Your lack of knowledge about Leafs prospects is a disgrace.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
Your lack of knowledge about Leafs prospects is a disgrace.
The difference between you and me is that you DRAMATICALLY over-rate our prospects, and I dont.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

I'm getting tired of hearing how the Leafs have terrible prospects. It's just not true.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:39 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
The difference between you and me is that you DRAMATICALLY over-rate our prospects, and I dont.
You're dramatically underrating them.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:41 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I think you are confusing a few of those statements with someone else.
But I think our forward core going into the future looks entirely mediocre. That forward group is NOT future Stanley Cup winning team. Its a future lets hope we make the playoffs team.
And after four years of finishing bottom 10, ITS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!! Not NEARLY good enough.

And while I think our defense looks better than our forwards... they are still not anywhere near the vicinity of being elite
Are you changing the argument? You clearly said, over and over again, we don't have 1st or 2nd line talent in our system. That all our players/prospects are 3rd and 4th liners.

Old
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Burke would be fired due to the fact that his team finished bottom 10 all four years he was here, while barely improving our prospects.

If a new GM came in, he probably wouldn't undo the very very very few things that Burke did right. So the new GM wouldn't be starting 100% all over again. He would move on from here, and try to do better than finishing bottom 10 each and every year.
In your opinion, how would he go about accomplishing this "move on from here, and try to do better than finishing bottom 10 each and every year", given the supposed shambles BB has the current organization in?

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
RogerRoeper*

Why aren't the Islanders better with all these top picks? Is Garth Snow doing a great job by increasing the prospect pool?

Old
07-15-2012, 12:42 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Yet another highly inaccurate statement. Keep 'em coming you self proclaimed expert you.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
You're dramatically underrating them.
Apparently saying anything positive about the Leafs prospects automatically equates to overrating them.

Then again, this is Disgruntled Observer we're talking about. Can't expect anything but garbage from him.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:48 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Hey DO, as someone who keeps using hockey's future as one of the top rating scales and so called experts, how do you explain last years pre-season organizational rankings?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings/

Old
07-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
However, I`m confident Kadri can take that next step and anybody who calls him a bust at this point is being overly dramatic. However, if Kadri isn`t a fixture in the NHL by Christmas he should start being viewed as a potential bust.
so, anyone who calls him a bust now is being overly dramatic, but it will be fair to call him a bust in another 30 games or so, if he isn't a regular with the leafs by then?

sounds like that means the time is now for him to either play or be moved to another team.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Burke is rebuilding and we have some really nice prospects. Not sure what the problem is.
the issue is that our team doesn't win many games, and most other teams have a prospect pool as good or better.

Quote:
Rielly and Finn were tremendous picks in the draft.
how do you know?

Old
07-16-2012, 10:04 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
how do you know?
You seem to often make the point that questioning/evaluating prospect development, player performance, GM moves, etc. is what makes a message board like this relevant.

Perhaps you would like to express your opinion that those were average/bad picks rather than simply question why he has an opinion at all?

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Wendel17

Quote:
the issue is that our team doesn't win many games, and most other teams have a prospect pool as good or better.

how do you know?
The Marlies playoff run had to give you some hope for the future. True it has not yet translated at the NHL level, but an appearance in the AHL finals is a much better omen than a first round exit, don't you think?

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
You seem to often make the point that questioning/evaluating prospect development, player performance, GM moves, etc. is what makes a message board like this relevant.

Perhaps you would like to express your opinion that those were average/bad picks rather than simply question why he has an opinion at all?
nothing wrong with having an opinion on those picks. i asked how he knew. maybe he's seen them both play a lot, i don't know.

pretty sure no matter who the leafs had taken with that 5 overall pick, it'd be hailed as a fantastic choice these days.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendel17 View Post
The Marlies playoff run had to give you some hope for the future. True it has not yet translated at the NHL level, but an appearance in the AHL finals is a much better omen than a first round exit, don't you think?
some hope, sure. its better than a first round exit for sure.

does it mean the leafs have the second best prospect pool of the 30 teams? is this now how we judge prospect pools? the results of the ahl team?

Old
07-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Wendel17

Quote:
some hope, sure. its better than a first round exit for sure.

does it mean the leafs have the second best prospect pool of the 30 teams? is this now how we judge prospect pools? the results of the ahl team?
Agreed. It doesn't mean we have the second best prospect pool in the league. But we both agree it is better than a first round exit. Now it's time to see if some of these players can make the next step to becoming NHL'ers.

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote