HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NBA Off-Season Thread: There's a new team in town

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Rangers4Life74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
No, I was talking about the system in which he's 156-243 without Steve Nash.

Nash was a two-time all star in Dallas. You know, the team he played for before he went to Phoenix.

Mike Woodson had the same pieces D'antoni had. I guess Dan Gadzuric was the key to the Knicks' success under Woodson.
Nash wasnt a 2 time MVP,you know,while with the Mavs.that didnt happen until Phoenix.

doesnt matter that Woodson had the same pieces D'Antoni had.The players quit on him,led by our superstar Anthony

look at the roster D'Antoni had here throughout his tenure...no wonder they didnt win.he still had to deal with so much of the crap leftover from the Thomas Disaster alone when he first got here.then they gut the team for mr selfish,Carmelo Anthony who pouted and admitted he didnt even try half the time.

but hey,things are looking up for this franchise.we continue to trade away draft picks for crap and sign over the hill aging players

ECF,HERE WE COME!!

Old
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I never said you shouldn't support him. But there's a difference between supporting and weaving between fact and logic to come up with convenient defenses for the plethora of occasions when Anthony does something that deserves to be criticized.

Fact -- He's 4th among active players in career PPG
Fact -- The Knicks have made the playoffs in back to back seasons because of Anthony's play in April.
Fact -- The Knicks are 13-5 in April since acquiring Anthony
Fact -- Anthony was voted the NBA player of the month in April 2012.

Sorry, but as a fan of a recently-pathetic franchise, I'll look past the defensive shortcomings and off-the-court sound bites as long as I see an improvement in the standings. Lead by Anthony, so far, so good.

And go back and read my posts from the day he was acquired. I never said he shouldn't be criticized. I for one have criticized him as well. Big picture-wise, he's given the fans something to look forward too. You can make fun of back-to-back 1st round blowouts, but Knicks fans shouldnt be greedy.

As for the Lin comment, he was right. I never said he was right saying it publicly. I just said he was right. Lin's contract is undeserving.

Quote:
And I don't feel that I abandoned anything. I think the Knicks abandoned two crucial draws for me as a sports fan, at least in my opinion: the drive to win, and the desire to win while exhibiting at least a modicum of class. When those two things were left at the side of the road, I decided to start rooting for a team that symbolized both qualities.
OK, so you're a frontrunner. It's one thing to be a frontrunner and be humble. It's another thing to be a frontrunner and consistently bash the team you gave up on.
Justify it any way you want, but there is nothing endearing to frontrunning, especially if you're trying to come across as a know-it-all.

And class is a stipulation? The Riley Knicks were class? They were classy if you consider class to be gooning it up, head butting, choke holding and clothes-lining people.

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't notice, but my activity was highly limited during that period of time on the entire board, not just this thread. Unfortunately, I had more pressing concerns in my life than posting here during that tine. But I did have enough time to watch sports, even if I didn't have the time to post about them here. At no point was Anthony the league's best player last season (talk about ridiculous), and I'm pretty sure that during the most critical portion of the season, the playoffs, he did just as he always has: lost immediately.
The league disagrees with you. Sorry. And I meant regular season. See above for his stats since joining the Knicks in the last month of the regular season.

And I think it was convinient for you that you couldn't post on here when Anthony was the toast of the town. We'll see what happens next year.

Quote:
How could that trade be a steal if the Nuggets were a better team and had a more successful season last year than the Knicks did? We'll see how much of a factor injuries are going forward, but I'd much rather have two quality starters who are effective at both ends of the floor and a solid backup center than one black hole who doesn't defend.
That has nothing to do with it. The Knicks acquired one of the best scorers in the league and it made them better in the standings. Felton and Chandler played a whopping 8 games last year for Denver (guess who played all 8?). It's funny how the guy you claimed to be "one of the best defensive coaches of all time" was 29th in the NBA in PPG without the very guy you said made his teams stink defensively.

Quote:
You already did: Carmelo Anthony.
For now, winning means above .500 and making the playoffs. The Knicks weren't doing that last season under Dantoni and his wonderful system.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:05 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
Nash wasnt a 2 time MVP,you know,while with the Mavs.that didnt happen until Phoenix.

doesnt matter that Woodson had the same pieces D'Antoni had.The players quit on him,led by our superstar Anthony

look at the roster D'Antoni had here throughout his tenure...no wonder they didnt win.he still had to deal with so much of the crap leftover from the Thomas Disaster alone when he first got here.then they gut the team for mr selfish,Carmelo Anthony who pouted and admitted he didnt even try half the time.

but hey,things are looking up for this franchise.we continue to trade away draft picks for crap and sign over the hill aging players

ECF,HERE WE COME!!

If any employee quits on his employer, then they can share the blame. There's no proof that the Knicks quit on Dantoni. There is proof that they were an instant success under Woodson.

Blame the roster all you want, but Woodson for now is the better coach for the franchise. I could care less about Dantoni. He sucked as a coach here and I'm glad he's gone.

If the team bothers you so much, follow Sting and stop rooting for them. They are stuck with two albatross contracts but at least they are somewhat entertaining. Moreson than the previous 10 years.

Knicks fans should be realists instead of idealists. Like Cubs fans.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:13 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
EVERYONE loves an underdog story. This isn't something that's singular because it's the Knicks. An underdog success story will get airtime no matter what team, sport he plays. See Prucha, Peter.
Prucha got nowhere near the level that Lin got. It was just a nice story for Ranger fans. The media hyped Lin to everyone and put him on the back page everytime he sneezed or took a dump.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Melo's "ridiculous" comments and J.R's comments suggest that they're jealous of Lin. imo.

Melo's seems like someone who wants the all the attention and the spot light always on him.
I like Melo and I'm saying this.

He reminds me of Arod a bit. With the constant insert foot in mouth comments.
Smith is just a tool. I hope he's not on the team next year. Do not like him one bit.

To be fair, Melo's quote was more about how it was ridiculous that the Rockets bumped up the money, not that the contract itself was nuts...even though he really shouldn't say anything about another players contract at all.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
I'm not sure if this has been posted here, but Jason Kidd got a DUI and crashed into a Cablevision pole and some homes were out of cable. The funny thing is, one of the homes which was affected by it was Dolan's.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
07-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
If any employee quits on his employer, then they can share the blame. There's no proof that the Knicks quit on Dantoni. There is proof that they were an instant success under Woodson.

Blame the roster all you want, but Woodson for now is the better coach for the franchise. I could care less about Dantoni. He sucked as a coach here and I'm glad he's gone.

If the team bothers you so much, follow Sting and stop rooting for them. They are stuck with two albatross contracts but at least they are somewhat entertaining. Moreson than the previous 10 years.

Knicks fans should be realists instead of idealists. Like Cubs fans.

so getting whipped in a 1st round series the past 2 years is entertaining to you?
i guess you're easy to entertain

sorry,i pay good money for these clowns to win more then 1 playoff game in 2 years.

i have every right to not like the direction the franchise is going in and you nor anyone else has the right to tell me otherwise.you can be content with them filling the roster with aging has-beens while dumping draft picks like crazy.meanwhile,while thats happeneing,ill watch pretty much every other team improve while the Knicks seem stuck in the mud battling for an 8 spot year after year with their "superstars"

and you tell me i should be real?you're the 1 who needs to open his eyes and be real

Old
07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I always wondered this...

Why the hell did the Knicks trade those first rounders for a rental Tracy McGrady when they had no shot at the playoffs?

Old
07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I'm not sure if this has been posted here, but Jason Kidd got a DUI and crashed into a Cablevision pole and some homes were out of cable. The funny thing is, one of the homes which was affected by it was Dolan's.

That just made my night. Thank you very much.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

Why the hell did the Knicks trade those first rounders for a rental Tracy McGrady when they had no shot at the playoffs?
It was to get rid of Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries contracts. Doing that enabled them to sign Lebr- oh wait

Old
07-16-2012, 07:22 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I wish this USA team was the Knicks.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I wish this USA team was the Knicks.
I wish Obama was coaching the Knicks.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

Why would they trade a non lottery protected first round pick for a guy with a heart defect? There's really no limit to the negligence this organization is guilty of.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Why would they trade a non lottery protected first round pick for a guy with a heart defect? There's really no limit to the negligence this organization is guilty of.
No, the other poster already stated it. It was to clear salary to enable the team to pick up max contracts... that were supposed to be used for LeBron. They instead got Melo and STAT, obviously.

Regardless of the loss of 1sts, it was something that pretty much needed to happen.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
so getting whipped in a 1st round series the past 2 years is entertaining to you?
i guess you're easy to entertain

sorry,i pay good money for these clowns to win more then 1 playoff game in 2 years.

i have every right to not like the direction the franchise is going in and you nor anyone else has the right to tell me otherwise.you can be content with them filling the roster with aging has-beens while dumping draft picks like crazy.meanwhile,while thats happeneing,ill watch pretty much every other team improve while the Knicks seem stuck in the mud battling for an 8 spot year after year with their "superstars"

and you tell me i should be real?you're the 1 who needs to open his eyes and be real
Better than being an annual doormat and not making the playoffs at all.

2002-2010

30-52
37-45
39-43
33-49
23-59
33-49
23-59
32-50
29-53

If the current Knicks are an embarrassment, then what were the Knicks in the Chaney/Brown/Dantoni years?

The Knicks were 18-6 under Woodson. The whole world noticed how different the Knicks played under him. Look at the wins they had last year. If the Knicks weren't blowing out teams, they were grinding out tough defensive battles against good team, even on the road.

They replaced:

Jefferies
Fields
Lin
Douglas
Bibby
Davis
Harrelson

with:

Camby
Kidd
Thomas
Felton
Prigioni
White

I mean, wake up. The Knicks with a full offseason, a full camp and the new roster will be competing for the division and the 3rd seed.

Camby is a former Defensive Player of the Year, was 17th in blocks last year (1.44) and 15th in rebounding (9.0) despite playing only 23 minutes per game.

Kidd is who is is -- a old but very smart point guard who doesnt turn the ball over

Old
07-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Better than being an annual doormat and not making the playoffs at all.

2002-2010

30-52
37-45
39-43
33-49
23-59
33-49
23-59
32-50
29-53

If the current Knicks are an embarrassment, then what were the Knicks in the Chaney/Brown/Dantoni years?
just as much of an embarrasment.making the playoffs the past 2 seasons doesnt equal success when you have to slide in at the end of the season with a supposedly super talented team.only to get bounced out without much of a fight
The Knicks were 18-6 under Woodson. The whole world noticed how different the Knicks played under him. Look at the wins they had last year. If the Knicks weren't blowing out teams, they were grinding out tough defensive battles against good team, even on the road.
its Mike Woodson.he had more talented teams with the Hawks and never got past the 1st round.this isnt Phil Jackson
They replaced:

Jefferies
Fields
Lin
Douglas
Bibby
Davis
Harrelson

with:

Camby
Kidd
Thomas
Felton
Prigioni
White

And you consider that a big enough improvement to have this team fighting for the division?you're off your rocker
Camby is 37 years old and the reason he only played 23 minutes a game is because hes so injury prone and fragile
Kidd:what is he,39 now?he was brought here for the main reason to mentor Lin.if hes not brought back,whats he going to mentor Felton on?How to say no to a twinkie?
Kurt Thomas:enough said
Ray Felton:does not work well in a halfcourt hand the ball to mr spotlight offense.hes shown that his whole career.
Prigioni:35 but compared to Kidd Camby and Thomas,hes a young 35.thats sad.
White:a guy whos bounced around from i cant recall how many different NBA teams along with overseas teams.

yeah,big improvement.i can easily see this team fighting for the division when Melo and STAT still havent shown they can work together.but i guess since we now got this awesome experienced bench,they will covr for the starters when they struggle.

I mean, wake up. The Knicks with a full offseason, a full camp and the new roster will be competing for the division and the 3rd seed.

We've been hearing the same thing for years now.with a full training camp...im tired of the wait until's.its once again a roster full of different spare parts led by 2 superstars who cannot play well together.
you need to wake up

Camby is a former Defensive Player of the Year, was 17th in blocks last year (1.44) and 15th in rebounding (9.0) despite playing only 23 minutes per game.

and hes also big time injury prone at this point of his career and hes not going to get many minute at all in place of Chandler and Stat.unless,of course,Stat decides to beat up another fire extinguisher.hard to block shots and rebound when you will be on the bench for 30 minutes a night

Kidd is who is is -- a old but very smart point guard who doesnt turn the ball over

Yipee,we get a shell of his former self declining fast former all star as our backup.i've got goosebumps

its shaping up to be 1 long year.

Last edited by Rangers4Life74: 07-17-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old
07-17-2012, 07:25 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
just as much of an embarrasment.making the playoffs the past 2 seasons doesnt equal success when you have to slide in at the end of the season with a supposedly super talented team.only to get bounced out without much of a fight
Who ever said the Knicks were "super talented" last year? They improved from 42-40 to 36-30. They improved from 28th in the NBA in defense to 11th in the NBA in defense.

Were you expecting a championship last season?

They were beset by injuries all season and still came to within three games of the 3rd seed. The previous season they were 14 games from the 3rd seed.

I don't know what to tell you except to temper your expectations. If you want to ignore the progress they made just for the sake of being angry and pissed off, then be my guest.

Quote:
its Mike Woodson.he had more talented teams with the Hawks and never got past the 1st round.this isnt Phil Jackson
Wrong. He did make it to the 2nd round twice in his last three years in Atlanta. And unlike Jackson, Woodson has proven he can take a losing team from the ground up and turn them in a 50-game winner. That would be a tremendous accomplishment for the franchise, who haven't won 50 games since 2000.

Quote:
And you consider that a big enough improvement to have this team fighting for the division?you're off your rocker
See above. They finished three games out last season despite significant injuries. The division is a toss up.

Quote:
Camby is 37 years old and the reason he only played 23 minutes a game is because hes so injury prone and fragile
Kidd:what is he,39 now?he was brought here for the main reason to mentor Lin.if hes not brought back,whats he going to mentor Felton on?How to say no to a twinkie?
Kurt Thomas:enough said
Ray Felton:does not work well in a halfcourt hand the ball to mr spotlight offense.hes shown that his whole career.
Prigioni:35 but compared to Kidd Camby and Thomas,hes a young 35.thats sad.
White:a guy whos bounced around from i cant recall how many different NBA teams along with overseas teams.
I never said "big improvement". But it is an improvement. Deny it all you want but the Knicks are a deeper team this year.

Quote:
yeah,big improvement.i can easily see this team fighting for the division when Melo and STAT still havent shown they can work together.but i guess since we now got this awesome experienced bench,they will covr for the starters when they struggle.
That's what a bench does. It worked well for the Knicks under Woodson.

Quote:
We've been hearing the same thing for years now.with a full training camp...im tired of the wait until's.its once again a roster full of different spare parts led by 2 superstars who cannot play well together.
you need to wake up
You've been hearing that for years? What years? I was referring to the short camp because of the strike. In what country do NBA teams consistently lack long training camps?

Like I said, I don't have high expectations, but my expectations after 2010 were slighter higher for 2011, and after 2012, my expectations are slightly higher for 2013.
I look at the Knicks as a work in progress. Unlike the previous 10 years, there has been progress.

Quote:
and hes also big time injury prone at this point of his career and hes not going to get many minute at all in place of Chandler and Stat.unless,of course,Stat decides to beat up another fire extinguisher.hard to block shots and rebound when you will be on the bench for 30 minutes a night
He's a backup, and a good one. Chandler was playing almost 40 mins a game late in the season. Even if he plays 15 mins a game, it keeps Chandler fresh and doesnt hurt you defensively.

Quote:
Yipee,we get a shell of his former self declining fast former all star as our backup.i've got goosebumps
He's a backup, and a very good one.

Felton/Kidd combined 2012 assists to turnovers 12.0 / 4.7

Lin / Davis combined 2012 assists to turnovers 10.9 / 6.2

That's an improvement.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post

This never would've happened if Dolan had upgraded to FiOS!

Old
07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Who ever said the Knicks were "super talented" last year? They improved from 42-40 to 36-30. They improved from 28th in the NBA in defense to 11th in the NBA in defense.

Were you expecting a championship last season?

They were beset by injuries all season and still came to within three games of the 3rd seed. The previous season they were 14 games from the 3rd seed.

I don't know what to tell you except to temper your expectations. If you want to ignore the progress they made just for the sake of being angry and pissed off, then be my guest.

Wrong. He did make it to the 2nd round twice in his last three years in Atlanta. And unlike Jackson, Woodson has proven he can take a losing team from the ground up and turn them in a 50-game winner. That would be a tremendous accomplishment for the franchise, who haven't won 50 games since 2000.

See above. They finished three games out last season despite significant injuries. The division is a toss up.

I never said "big improvement". But it is an improvement. Deny it all you want but the Knicks are a deeper team this year.

That's what a bench does. It worked well for the Knicks under Woodson.

You've been hearing that for years? What years? I was referring to the short camp because of the strike. In what country do NBA teams consistently lack long training camps?

Like I said, I don't have high expectations, but my expectations after 2010 were slighter higher for 2011, and after 2012, my expectations are slightly higher for 2013.
I look at the Knicks as a work in progress. Unlike the previous 10 years, there has been progress.

He's a backup, and a good one. Chandler was playing almost 40 mins a game late in the season. Even if he plays 15 mins a game, it keeps Chandler fresh and doesnt hurt you defensively.

He's a backup, and a very good one.

Felton/Kidd combined 2012 assists to turnovers 12.0 / 4.7

Lin / Davis combined 2012 assists to turnovers 10.9 / 6.2

That's an improvement.
ladies and gentleman,the true definition of a fan boy

probably a big Melo apologist too

if you choose to see everything through rose colored glasses,more power to you.
you keep living in fantasy land,ill live in the real world

Old
07-17-2012, 02:01 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
So if Lin plays up to his potential, he should more than make up for what it costs the Knicks to keep him. But what if Lin doesn't pan out? What if his 26-game sample proves to be an illusion, and he ends up as yet another flash in the pan? Will the Knicks be stuck with an enormous tax bill for an unproductive player?

If worse comes to worst, another new rule can help the team out. The "stretch provision" allows a team to waive a player and extend his salary payments over twice the number of remaining seasons, plus one. So if Lin is waived with one season remaining on his contract, he would be paid his salary over three years.

Here's the important part -- teams also may elect to stretch a waived player's salary-cap hit over the same number of years. So if Lin proves to be a disaster over the next two seasons, the Knicks can waive him, stretch the payment of his $14.8 million salary over three years, and reduce his salary-cap amount to about $4.9 million in each season. This would reduce the team's tax bill significantly. If the Knicks are right at the tax line, a $4.9 million salary would translate to a $7.35 million tax bill. This is much more palatable.

In sum, Lin will continue to be a financial bonanza if he keeps playing up to his potential. If he ends up being a bust, the Knicks have the means to mitigate the damage. The potential upside is well worth the risk.

So logic dictates that sometime before midnight Tuesday night, the Knicks will inform the league that they are matching the Rockets' offer, and Jeremy Lin will remain a member of the Knicks.

As much as keeping Lin will cost them, losing him will cost more.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...fer-jeremy-lin

Tell me again why there is ANY scenario under which it makes sense to let Lin go...?

Old
07-17-2012, 03:18 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
BREAKING - Report: Knicks done deliberating, WILL NOT match Houston's offer sheet for Jeremy Lin. @JLin7 will be a Rocket.

07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Fact -- He's 4th among active players in career PPG
Fact -- The Knicks have made the playoffs in back to back seasons because of Anthony's play in April.
Fact -- The Knicks are 13-5 in April since acquiring Anthony
Fact -- Anthony was voted the NBA player of the month in April 2012.
Why is it because of Anthony's play in April? Why would the Knicks have not made the playoffs in 2011 if the Anthony trade didn't happen?

I don't understand what being 4th among career PPG is supposed to mean? Why is that a good thing when it clearly doesn't equate to winning. He clearly doesn't equate to winning. He and his 4th career PPG equates to mediocrity, because aside from scoring, everything else about his game is mediocre, or simply non-existant.

Quote:
Sorry, but as a fan of a recently-pathetic franchise, I'll look past the defensive shortcomings and off-the-court sound bites as long as I see an improvement in the standings. Lead by Anthony, so far, so good.

And go back and read my posts from the day he was acquired. I never said he shouldn't be criticized. I for one have criticized him as well. Big picture-wise, he's given the fans something to look forward too. You can make fun of back-to-back 1st round blowouts, but Knicks fans shouldnt be greedy.
Who said anything about greed? The point is, where do you want this team to go? If your goal is to get bounced from the playoffs in the first round and sell a lot of jerseys, then awesome, you've accomplished that, Dolan. If you want to change the culture of the team and build a winner, then clearly this was the wrong way to go. Anthony is just the newest Marbury and Steve Francis.

Quote:
As for the Lin comment, he was right. I never said he was right saying it publicly. I just said he was right. Lin's contract is undeserving.
Any player could have said, "I think Carmelo Anthony is a huge piece of garbage for the way he treated his coaches, teammates, and the Nuggets as an organization," and been right about it. But I'm pretty sure no one did. No one is stupid enough to say something so unnecessary to the press. No one except Anthony.

Quote:
OK, so you're a frontrunner. It's one thing to be a frontrunner and be humble. It's another thing to be a frontrunner and consistently bash the team you gave up on.
Justify it any way you want, but there is nothing endearing to frontrunning, especially if you're trying to come across as a know-it-all.
How am I a front runner? The Spurs were my favorite Western Conference team my entire life, my 2nd favorite team after the Knicks. David Robinson was my favorite non-Knick player growing up. The Spurs went from being my 2nd favorite team to being my 1st favorite team.

You can keep calling it that, but I didn't give up on the Knicks. They gave up on me, and they gave up on you, too. It's not my fault you're a glutton for punishment. And I have no interest in bashing the Knicks. I want to be a Knicks fan. I want to like the Knicks, and I was starting to again. But then they threw all that progress out the window and showed their true colors. They're still about everything that turned me off to them in the first place. They don't care about building exciting, winning basketball teams.

Quote:
And class is a stipulation? The Riley Knicks were class? They were classy if you consider class to be gooning it up, head butting, choke holding and clothes-lining people.
Different time, different rules, different league. But the Knicks were a team that was greater than the sum of its parts. They stuck up for one another, they played as a team, they played hard every night, and they were always committed. No one on that team ever put themselves ahead of the team.

Quote:
The league disagrees with you. Sorry. And I meant regular season. See above for his stats since joining the Knicks in the last month of the regular season.
Awesome. Silly me, thinking that the season was 82 games plus playoffs, not the several weeks when some guys decide to give an actual effort.

Quote:
And I think it was convinient for you that you couldn't post on here when Anthony was the toast of the town. We'll see what happens next year.
Yes, it was very convenient for me that one of my closest relatives was slowly slipping away during a harrowing bout with cancer. So glad I could use that as an excuse to not post about the Knicks, who ended up doing worse than I predicted they would before the season began.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with it. The Knicks acquired one of the best scorers in the league and it made them better in the standings. Felton and Chandler played a whopping 8 games last year for Denver (guess who played all 8?). It's funny how the guy you claimed to be "one of the best defensive coaches of all time" was 29th in the NBA in PPG without the very guy you said made his teams stink defensively.
Actually, I didn't claim him to be one of the best defensive coaches of all-time. Three hall of fame NBA players made that claim on NBATV, and I was repeating that claim because I happen to agree with it, based on the defensive prowess of his Sonics teams. Regardless, the Nuggets and their horrible defense, not to mention league leading man games lost (EDIT: I remember hearing that on ESPN towards the end of the season but I can't find it online so disregard that for now although they certainly battled a lot of injuries this year, more than most teams), finished higher in a tougher Western Conference than the Knicks did in the East. The Nuggets also took a top 5 team in the league to 7 games.

I don't see how the injuries even mean that much, considering Anthony not only showed up looking like a fat load last season, but sabotaged his own team's chances at winning by playing like a schmuck until the moment D'Antoni quit. He showed up to play for several weeks. He might as well have been injured the whole time. It certainly didn't hurt the Knicks when he was out of the lineup. I'm pretty sure the Knicks woudln't have made the playoffs, wonderful Anthony April or not, if they didn't go on that nice streak when Anthony was out of the lineup.

Quote:
For now, winning means above .500 and making the playoffs. The Knicks weren't doing that last season under Dantoni and his wonderful system.
Wonderful system or not, pretty tough to do anything when the top guy on your team is playing to get the coach fired.

And I think any attempt to judge D'Antoni's Knick tenure is as silly an idea as one can come up with, whether you want to praise him or flay him. At no point in his time with the Knicks did D'Antoni ever have a real team to work with. At no point did he ever not have to contend with either tons of cap space lost due to Thomas remnants or the Anthony move which clearly made no sense with what D'Antoni was trying to do. How anyone can say that D'Antoni sucked as a coach here is beyond me. The entire time he was here, he either had horrible teams, cap space being wasted, or players who either didn't gel with his system or actively worked to get him fired.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 07-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old
07-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...fer-jeremy-lin

Tell me again why there is ANY scenario under which it makes sense to let Lin go...?
I can understand when some guy on HF doesn't know about a CBA provision like the "stretch provision" but all the supposed experts we're watching on espn, sny, etc...who are babbling on about a $30MM payment in year 3 should forfeit at least one paycheck for being clueless.

If the Knicks don't match, it's out of spite. Which is stupid.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:00 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

This franchise is pathetic.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I can understand when some guy on HF doesn't know about a CBA provision like the "stretch provision" but all the supposed experts we're watching on espn, sny, etc...who are babbling on about a $30MM payment in year 3 should forfeit at least one paycheck for being clueless.

If the Knicks don't match, it's out of spite. Which is stupid.
Yup. As I tweeted earlier, the ONLY reason for them to not match is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQrTGE4wwwA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
This franchise is pathetic.
Yup x2.

Closed Thread