HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Since Trevor Timmins

Old
07-16-2012, 10:19 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
You really need to start talking to girls......
Hee hee, I have a wife bro, talking to her is tough enough.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:50 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Great post but I still think he could've make more effort to get Jagr
And lucky me, I'm still young and only began watching hockey 3 years ago
Welcome to the club. It's a ****ing great game. I was playing at 3 on frozen rinks a long long time ago, but you are just as welcome.

Lace on some skates though, you'll love it even more if you can just score one goal, or make one good pass, or a clean massive hit. Then it's in your blood!

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:12 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Ignoring their current nice crop of prospects, Smith+Nyquist who look to be on the verge of making a name for themselves, and their picks post-Z that are currently NHL regulars with over 200 games:

29. Niklas Kronwall - Top Pairing D / ~40pts
38. Tomas Kopecky - 3rd line W / 30-40pts
42. Justin Abdelkader - 3rd/4th line W
47. Shawn Matthias - 3rd/4th line C
58. Jiri Hudler - 2 line W / 50-60pts
63. Tomas Fleischmann - 2nd line W / 60+pts
64. Jim Howard - Starting G
95. Valtteri Filppula - 2nd line C / 60+pts
97. Johan Franzen -1st line W / ~30g, ~60pts
132. Darren Helm - 3rd line C / 30+pts
132. Kyle Quincey - top 4 D
291. Jonathan Ericsson - 5/6 D

Sure, no Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Lidstrom but let's not get carried away here.

EDIT:

Lineup with NHL regulars from last season Wings drafted after Zetterberg...

Johan Franzen - Valtteri Filppula - Tomas Fleischmann
Jiri Hudler - Darren Helm - Tomas Kopecky
Cory Emmerton - Shawn Matthias - Justin Abdelkader

Niklas Kronwall - Kyle Quincey
Jonathan Ericsson - Jakub Kindl

Jim Howard

I think this is where the phrase 'haters gonna hate' would fit.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...2-draft-review

Look at Rasmus Bodin in the 7th, 6'6 and skates well. Where did they hide this guy?

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:21 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Well it doesn't matter what anyone calls it. I hate the word tanking and would never support losing but the Habs are rebuilding as they don't have any choice. They stunk last year and are returning the same team minus the changes to the coaching staff/management and a improved 4th line to go with healthy bodies.

I don't think MB wants a top 5 pick but I also think that management has looked at the situation and come to the conclussion that this team has a number of holes that need to be addressed and a bulk of that will have to come from the draft as the UFA pool isn't really an option for us without major overpaying which is in part what got us in the hole we are in. So I got to think that the new management staff will not add additional overbloated lengthly contracts just to hope they can make it as a 8th seed. I'm sure they looked at this in the long term and saw that in 2 years we will drop several of our biggest contracts and by then he could have guys like Gally, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gallagher, Leblanc in the lineup.

Adding character guys like Prust while keeping Moen/White around plus if Armstrong rebounds, we could have a nice mix of youth, character, grit and skill to go with the likes of Pac, Pleks, Cole, Subban, Price etc.... hopefully puts us in place to be much more competitive while not being handicaped with overbloated contracts and hired guns that don't give consistent efforts.

As for the Habs being competitive, none of us have any choice in the matter, the Habs will be competitive when they are and nothing we say will change that. But to me if the Habs don't do a major overhaul on the defense, they won't be competitive. That said I'm sure at some point management will address the issues with the defense as we may already have much of the work done once a couple of our D prospects develop and adjust to pro hockey.

If I were MB, I would have taken the following notes,

The Habs defense was one of the softest in the league and is made up of too many of the same parts. It must be addressed in time, but the UFA pool is likely not the answer, which means trades or draft.

The Habs strength in their prospect pool is easily the defensemen.

The Habs have 4 top 60 picks in what could be an outstanding draft class

The Habs have to overpay to land any UFA, and how much of a bad spot signing a bunch of hired guns has put the team in.

The Habs in 2 years have 4 of their 7 biggest cap hits will be off the books (over 23M)

The Habs had a terrible 4th line last year, little grit and several players on the team just did not work hard consistently.

The Habs lack top end talent in their prospect pool going into this summers draft but adding a highly skilled player like Galchenyuk gives the Habs something they haven't had in forever since it was the first time since 1980 that they had a top 3 pick.

So with all of that, in order to improve this club we need to do the following,

- improve the coaching staff, the Randy's were not getting it done j

- improve the grit/character issues with players that are willing to pay the price and constitently bring it.

- over the next 2-3 years the club should be able to address it's issues with lack of high end talent in the prospect pool. Getting Gally is a great start and we stand the chance to land something very good next June as well.

- sit tight and don't take on unneccessary high dollar, long term contracts for hired guns. The team has lots of holes and can't be fixed overnight so don't make mistakes now with expensive bandaids.

- in 2 years the team could have a huge amount of cap space available and a possible influx of youth from the likes of Gally, Beaulieu, Tinordi, etc..
Nice post, I agree on pretty much all accounts and I approve of what Bergenvin is doing.

He realizes that some contracts have to come off the books and we should be building for long term success.

So what do teams do when they need help? They overpay for a bunch of UFAs, which is what Montreal did when they got Gomez, Cammy, Gionta, etc...and it didn't work. Also, the UFA crop this year was weak so even if he wanted to do it, he couldn't.

Next is trade for players, which he still might do. But trading in the NHL is very difficult.

The next thing to do, which is what Bergevin is doing, it stay the course but get tougher. Make sure that if you might not win as many games as you would like, at least you won't get beat up in the process. Bergevin has brought in grit and toughness and character guys that will help this team play as a team and stick up for each other. They will not be bullied and their skilled players will not get run at every game.

You overpay slightly for Prust who has fought more than anyone else in the league the past few years and will not back down from anybody. You bring in Armstrong who, if healthy, can score a few goals and lay out some big hits. You re-sign Moen who is in the same mold as Prust and you get Bouillon who despite being small can hold his own.

Having Moen and Prust takes some pressure off Plekanec's PK duties and should help keep him fresher throughout the year. You also have Ryan White who can stick up for team mates as we have seen in the past. These players also allow Leblanc, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi to spend a year in Hamilton and develop properly.

I fully expect that after Christmas, if we are out of the playoffs or on the bubble, Bergevin will look at dealing players like Kaberle, Bouillon, Markov, Weber, Diaz, Gionta, Nokelainen, Bourque, Armstong and try to get more picks over the next two years.

Bergevin has come from Chicago where even when they were winning a cup they usually had multiple picks in the first 4 rounds. He will follow the same model here.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
i think the opposite, I could see us having more picks. As long as we have 4 top 60 picks next June I'll be happy.
Will only believe it when I'll see it. Just don't believe this market will let Bergevin get away with another year like we had. And getting more picks still means sending guys away, which mean another bad year and be out of contention at trade deadline day which I just don't see happening.

I do hope though that we stay put as far as picks and getting more would be my dream. Just don't see it. But I'll guess we'll see.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:33 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Will only believe it when I'll see it. Just don't believe this market will let Bergevin get away with another year like we had. And getting more picks still means sending guys away, which mean another bad year and be out of contention at trade deadline day which I just don't see happening.

I do hope though that we stay put as far as picks and getting more would be my dream. Just don't see it. But I'll guess we'll see.
I don't think the habs improved on paper much.

Cammalleri>Bourque
Spacek<Kaberle
AK>Prust
Darche<=Armstrong
Gill>Boullion

Yes yes, full year of markov and all that but injuries happen. For all we know Price might get injured, or plekanec, dd, anyone. Just cuz it may not be markov doesn't mean it's impossible. Our younger players progress but our older players are falling further and further from their primes too.

A bad stretch and we could be looking at another top 10 pick. A good stretch and we could be 6th in east.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

What do you mean when you say this market will let Bergevin get away with another year like we had? Not sure what you mean by market?

I would assume we miss the playoffs and a couple bodies could be of interest at the trade deadline perhaps.

It's interesting to look at next summer, assuming Subban doesn't get a one year deal the Habs have very little in the way of UFA's/impact RFA's. Only 4 UFA's on the current roster (Armstrong, Cube, Budaj, Noke) and just Pac/DD as RFA's (not counting White/Weber since I doubt they would get much of a raise) Depending on how things go this season, management won't have much work to do internally next summer if things stay the same. Then the following year is when we could have the big UFA exodus (Gomez, Kabs, Markov, Gio) so it could get real interesting by then.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

Cammalleri>Bourque
Spacek<Kaberle
AK>Prust
Darche<=Armstrong
Gill>Boullion

Yes yes, full year of markov and all that but injuries happen. For all we know Price might get injured, or plekanec, dd, anyone. Just cuz it may not be markov doesn't mean it's impossible. Our younger players progress but our older players are falling further and further from their primes too.

A bad stretch and we could be looking at another top 10 pick. A good stretch and we could be 6th in east.
I'll take Prust over Kostitsyn every day of the week and so would 30 NHL GM's.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Those picks next year will be even sweeter if there's modifications to the CBA re: ELCs. Not that I'm rooting against the players, just seems like one of the planks of the proposal more likely to stick around. 4 year ELCs perhaps?

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:58 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I'll take Prust over Kostitsyn every day of the week and so would 30 NHL GM's.
The no1 job of forwards is to score and even a slumping Kostitsyn is a much better scorer than Prust. Prust has intangibles and players like him a very valuable to a team but Kostitsyn is the better. One is a 3rd or 4th liner while the other has been part of good 1st&2nd lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist

Cammalleri>Bourque
Spacek<Kaberle
AK>Prust
Darche<=Armstrong
Gill>Boullion

It is true that our team hasn't gotten much better but on paper last year's team was equal to the previous year's, even superior with the addition of Cole.

If we look at previous years lineups (that were all similar) it appears last season was an anomaly. We all know the reasons and these might not repeat themselves. Coaching should be better and injuries can't be worse.

With current parity its nigh impossible to predict were this team can finish. Bergevin would be foolish trading future assets for immediate success but it would be ill advised to trade current assets for futures right away as well. It seems he's staying put until we see what kind of team we actually have since as of now he's done no major moves. It could only be that he's not done yet of course..

The trade deadline is going to be Bergevin's most important time of the year : if the team is out of the playoffs he must gain additional futures and if things are looking good he must bring in some help at cheap cost to show faith in the team without sacrificing much.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
The no1 job of forwards is to score and even a slumping Kostitsyn is a much better scorer than Prust. Prust has intangibles and players like him a very valuable to a team but Kostitsyn is the better. One is a 3rd or 4th liner while the other has been part of good 1st&2nd lines.

It is true that our team hasn't gotten much better but on paper last year's team was equal to the previous year's, even superior with the addition of Cole.

If we look at previous years lineups (that were all similar) it appears last season was an anomaly. We all know the reasons and these might not repeat themselves. Coaching should be better and injuries can't be worse.

With current parity its nigh impossible to predict were this team can finish. Bergevin would be foolish trading future assets for immediate success but it would be ill advised to trade current assets for futures right away as well. It seems he's staying put until we see what kind of team we actually have since as of now he's done no major moves. It could only be that he's not done yet of course..

The trade deadline is going to be Bergevin's most important time of the year : if the team is out of the playoffs he must gain additional futures and if things are looking good he must bring in some help at cheap cost to show faith in the team without sacrificing much.
Funny how many people have such short memories and want to believe we're actually as bad as we finished last season. So much talk is centering around "transition year(s)" and "tanking" and "terrible top 6/defense" etc, etc, whereas we should be back to where we were the season before, barring the same kind of injury debacle. I firmly believe we'll at least make the playoffs, and I think there's a decent possibility we'll even make it past round 1, I doubt more than that though.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

Cammalleri>Bourque
Spacek<Kaberle
AK>Prust
Darche<=Armstrong
Gill>Boullion

Not yet on paper but the Habs also picked up a clutch of second rounders and drafted higher in each round thanks to Gauthier. Bergevin fortified the lower two lines and still has options for acquiring higher caliber players.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:20 PM
OneSharpMarble

Looks pretty average. What are people getting so worked up about?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:26 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Funny how many people have such short memories and want to believe we're actually as bad as we finished last season. So much talk is centering around "transition year(s)" and "tanking" and "terrible top 6/defense" etc, etc, whereas we should be back to where we were the season before, barring the same kind of injury debacle. I firmly believe we'll at least make the playoffs, and I think there's a decent possibility we'll even make it past round 1, I doubt more than that though.
Yup and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Not yet on paper but the Habs also picked up a clutch of second rounders and drafted higher in each round thanks to Gauthier. Bergevin fortified the lower two lines and still has options for acquiring higher caliber players.
I think the bolded is going to give a surprising boost to the team. No longer shall we have to endure borderline NHLers multiple filling spots on the 4th, 3rd AND 2nd line all at once. Lack of quality depth at all positions was perhaps the team's greatest weakness last season and this has been addressed trough Bergevin's acquisitions and the evolution of our prospect pool (Leblanc should get better and is a first year pro no longer. Emelin&Diaz are no longer rookies. Quality prospects like Gallagher, Beaulieu and Tinordi are now available for callup instead of scrubs...)

To get back at discussing Timmins : I certainly hope Bergevin intends on keeping his draft picks and acquiring more, even if the team becomes a serious contender years from now. Longevity of success depends on good drafting and a well managed prospect pool. The team needs to be patient and hold to its managing tenets, Gainey did well stockpiling prospects early on but he was far too eager in trading them and picks once the team became competitive. That first place finish ended up gutting our prospect pool with Gainey trading so many 2nd rounders and even a first rounder in the following years.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 07-16-2012 at 10:32 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:31 AM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Nice post, I agree on pretty much all accounts and I approve of what Bergenvin is doing.

He realizes that some contracts have to come off the books and we should be building for long term success.

So what do teams do when they need help? They overpay for a bunch of UFAs, which is what Montreal did when they got Gomez, Cammy, Gionta, etc...and it didn't work. Also, the UFA crop this year was weak so even if he wanted to do it, he couldn't.

Next is trade for players, which he still might do. But trading in the NHL is very difficult.

The next thing to do, which is what Bergevin is doing, it stay the course but get tougher. Make sure that if you might not win as many games as you would like, at least you won't get beat up in the process. Bergevin has brought in grit and toughness and character guys that will help this team play as a team and stick up for each other. They will not be bullied and their skilled players will not get run at every game.

You overpay slightly for Prust who has fought more than anyone else in the league the past few years and will not back down from anybody. You bring in Armstrong who, if healthy, can score a few goals and lay out some big hits. You re-sign Moen who is in the same mold as Prust and you get Bouillon who despite being small can hold his own.

Having Moen and Prust takes some pressure off Plekanec's PK duties and should help keep him fresher throughout the year. You also have Ryan White who can stick up for team mates as we have seen in the past. These players also allow Leblanc, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi to spend a year in Hamilton and develop properly.

I fully expect that after Christmas, if we are out of the playoffs or on the bubble, Bergevin will look at dealing players like Kaberle, Bouillon, Markov, Weber, Diaz, Gionta, Nokelainen, Bourque, Armstong and try to get more picks over the next two years.

Bergevin has come from Chicago where even when they were winning a cup they usually had multiple picks in the first 4 rounds. He will follow the same model here.
Nice summary. Agree too. And if somehow Bergevin is miraculously able to trade Gomez at the deadline, whatever the return, he will be the best GM ever.

Only thing about Gomez is that, even though everyone hates him (the player, not the human) he is the definition of a 'character' player. I know I know that sounds very weird, but think about it, if there is something left in Gomez, it's probably character. I mean the guy is in the worst situation ever in sports and he manages to smile, keep a winner (lol) attitude and give his all most of the time (even if he does the same play over and over again), no one can't deny he's trying. But yet again, at the end of the day he's making $7 millions to accomplish nothing on the ice and smiling in the locker room does not make his salary more acceptable.

Therefore he's useless. Lol, my post seemed like I was trying to like and forgive the guy, but ultimately logic got me back.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

This thread is about TIMMINS, not MB, get back on track people...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
That's very true. That's why they're so good at reclamation projects.

I agree that their drafting has been subpar over the last decade though.
It's like the Habs were in Pollock's days of drafting from 1969-77. They went for home runs and Pollock stockpiled 1st rounders plus they made wise later round picks. A lot of future NHL'ers were drafted by the Habs but didn't make it for space reasons in the end:

1977 Amateur
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
1977 Amateur 10 1 Mark Napier R Birmingham Bulls [WHA] 767 235 306 541 157
1977 Amateur 18 1 Norm Dupont L Montreal Juniors [QMJHL] 256 55 85 140 52
1977 Amateur 36 2 Rod Langway D U. of New Hampshire [ECAC] 994 51 278 329 849
1977 Amateur 43 3 Alain Cote L Chicoutimi Sagueneens [QMJHL] 696 103 190 293 383
1977 Amateur 46 3 Pierre Lagace C Quebec Remparts [QMJHL]
1977 Amateur 49 3 Moe Robinson D Kingston Canadians [OHA] 1 0 0 0 0
1977 Amateur 54 3 Gordie Roberts D New England Whalers [WHA] 1097 61 359 420 1582
1977 Amateur 64 4 Robert Holland G Montreal Juniors [QMJHL] 44 0 0 0 2
1977 Amateur 90 5 Gaetan Rochette Shawinigan Dynamos [QMJHL]
1977 Amateur 108 6 Bill Himmelright D U. of North Dakota [WCHA]
1977 Amateur 124 7 Richard Sevigny G Sherbrooke Castors [QMJHL] 176 0 1 1 94
1977 Amateur 137 8 Keith Hendrickson U. of Minnesota-Duluth [WCHA]
1977 Amateur 140 8 Mike Reilly Colorado College [WCHA]
1977 Amateur 152 9 Barry Borrett G Cornwall Royals [QMJHL]
1977 Amateur 154 9 Sid Tanchak Clarkson University [ECAC]
1977 Amateur 160 10 Mark Holden G Brown University [ECAC] 8 0 1 1 0
1977 Amateur 162 10 Craig Laughlin R Clarkson University [ECAC] 549 136 205 341 364
1977 Amateur 167 11 Dan Poulin D Chicoutimi Sagueneens [QMJHL] 3 1 1 2 2
1977 Amateur 169 11 Tom McDonell C Ottawa 67's [OHA]
1977 Amateur 173 12 Cary Farelli Toronto Marlboros [OHA]
1977 Amateur 174 12 Carey Walker G New Westminster Bruins [WCHL]
1977 Amateur 176 13 Mark Wells C Bowling Green State University [CCHA]
1977 Amateur 177 13 Stan Palmer U. of Minnesota-Duluth [WCHA]
1977 Amateur 179 14 Jean Belisle G Chicoutimi Sagueneens [QMJHL]
1977 Amateur 180 14 Bob Daly G Ottawa 67's [OHA]
1977 Amateur 182 15 Bob Boileau C Boston University [ECAC]
1977 Amateur 183 15 John Costello C U. of Lowell [ECAC-2]

1976 Amateur
1976 Amateur 12 1 Peter Lee L Ottawa 67's [OHA] 431 114 131 245 257
1976 Amateur 13 1 Rod Schutt L Sudbury Wolves [OHA] 286 77 92 169 177
1976 Amateur 18 1 Bruce Baker R Ottawa 67's [OHA]
1976 Amateur 36 2 Barry Melrose D Kamloops Chiefs [WCHL] 300 10 23 33 728
1976 Amateur 54 3 Bill Baker D U. of Minnesota [WCHA] 143 7 25 32 175
1976 Amateur 72 4 Ed Clarey Cornwall Royals [QMJHL]
1976 Amateur 90 5 Maurice Barrette G Quebec Remparts [QMJHL]
1976 Amateur 108 6 Pierre Brassard Cornwall Royals [QMJHL]
1976 Amateur 118 7 Rich Gosselin C Flin Flon Bombers [WCHL]
1976 Amateur 123 8 John Gregory D U. of Wisconsin [WCHA]
1976 Amateur 125 9 Bruce Horsch G Michigan Tech [WCHA]
1976 Amateur 127 10 John Tavella L Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHA]
1976 Amateur 129 11 Mark Davidson L Flin Flon Bombers [WCHL]
1976 Amateur 131 12 Bill Wells Cornwall Royals [QMJHL]
1976 Amateur 133 13 Ron Wilson C St. Catharines Black Hawks [OHA] 832 110 216 326 415

1975 Amateur
1975 Amateur 9 1 Robin Sadler D Edmonton Oil Kings [WCHL]
1975 Amateur 15 1 Pierre Mondou F Montreal Red White and Blue [QMJHL] 548 194 262 456 179
1975 Amateur 22 2 Brian Engblom D U. of Wisconsin [WCHA] 659 29 177 206 599
1975 Amateur 34 2 Kelly Greenbank R Winnipeg Clubs [WCHL]
1975 Amateur 51 3 Paul Woods F Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHA] 501 72 124 196 276
1975 Amateur 52 3 Pat Hughes F U. of Michigan [WCHA] 573 130 128 258 646
1975 Amateur 70 4 Dave Gorman R Phoenix Roadrunners [WHA] 3 0 0 0 0
1975 Amateur 88 5 Jim Turkiewicz D Toronto Toros [WHA]
1975 Amateur 106 6 Michel Lachance D Montreal Red White and Blue [QMJHL] 21 0 4 4 22
1975 Amateur 124 7 Tim Burke D U. of New Hampshire [ECAC]
1975 Amateur 142 8 Craig Norwich D U. of Wisconsin [WCHA] 104 17 58 75 60
1975 Amateur 158 9 Paul Clarke R Notre Dame [WCHA]
1975 Amateur 173 10 Bob Ferriter L Boston College [ECAC]
1975 Amateur 187 11 Dave Bell Harvard University [ECAC]
1975 Amateur 198 12 Carl Jackson G U. of Pennsylvania [ECAC]
1975 Amateur 204 13 Michel Brisebois C Sherbrooke Castors [QMJHL]
1975 Amateur 208 14 Roger Bourque D Notre Dame [WCHA]
1975 Amateur 211 15 Jim Lundquist Brown University [ECAC]
1975 Amateur 214 15 Don Madson C Fargo-Moorhead Sugar Kings [MidJHL]
1975 Amateur 215 16 Bob Bain U. of New Hampshire [ECAC]

1974 Amateur
1974 Amateur 5 1 Cam Connor R Flin Flon Bombers [WCHL] 89 9 22 31 256
1974 Amateur 7 1 Doug Risebrough F Kitchener Rangers [OHA] 740 185 286 471 1542
1974 Amateur 10 1 Rick Chartraw D Kitchener Rangers [OHA] 420 28 65 93 399
1974 Amateur 12 1 Mario Tremblay F Montreal Red White and Blue [QMJHL] 852 258 326 584 1043
1974 Amateur 15 1 Gord McTavish F Sudbury Wolves [OHA] 11 1 3 4 2
1974 Amateur 30 2 Gary MacGregor C Cornwall Royals [QMJHL]
1974 Amateur 33 2 Gilles Lupien D Montreal Red White and Blue [QMJHL] 226 5 25 30 416
1974 Amateur 51 3 Marty Howe D Houston Aeros [WHA] 197 2 29 31 99
1974 Amateur 61 4 Barry Legge D Winnipeg Clubs [WCHL] 107 1 11 12 144
1974 Amateur 69 4 Mike McKegney F Kitchener Rangers [OHA]
1974 Amateur 105 6 John Stewart C Bowling Green State University [CCHA] 2 0 0 0 0
1974 Amateur 123 7 Joe Micheletti D U. of Minnesota [WCHA] 158 11 60 71 114
1974 Amateur 140 8 Jamie Hislop F U. of New Hampshire [ECAC] 345 75 103 178 86
1974 Amateur 157 9 Gordon Stewart F Kamloops Chiefs [WCHL]
1974 Amateur 172 10 Chuck Luksa D Kitchener Rangers [OHA] 8 0 1 1 4
1974 Amateur 187 11 Cliff Cox F U. of New Hampshire [ECAC]
1974 Amateur 199 12 Dave Lumley F U. of New Hampshire [ECAC] 437 98 160 258 680
1974 Amateur 209 13 Mike Hobin F Hamilton Red Wings [OHA]

1973 Amateur
1973 Amateur 8 1 Bob Gainey F Peterborough Petes [OHA] 1160 239 263 502 585
1973 Amateur 17 2 Glenn Goldup F Toronto Marlboros [OHA] 291 52 67 119 303
1973 Amateur 22 2 Peter Marrin C Toronto Marlboros [OHA]
1973 Amateur 32 2 Ron Andruff C Flin Flon Bombers [WCHL] 153 19 36 55 54
1973 Amateur 37 3 Ed Humphreys G Saskatoon Blades [WCHL]
1973 Amateur 56 4 Alan Hangsleben D U. of North Dakota [WCHA] 185 21 48 69 396
1973 Amateur 64 4 Rich Latulippe F Quebec Remparts [QMJHL]
1973 Amateur 80 5 Gerrard Gibbons D St. Mary's University [CIAU]
1973 Amateur 96 6 Denis Patry F Drummondville Rangers [QMJHL]
1973 Amateur 112 7 Michel Belisle F Montreal Red White and Blue [QMJHL]
1973 Amateur 128 8 Mario Desjardins F Sherbrooke Castors [QMJHL]
1973 Amateur 143 9 Bob Wright F Pembroke Lumber Kings (CJAHL)
1973 Amateur 158 10 Al Labrecque L Trois Rivieres Ducs [QMJHL]
1973 Amateur 166 11 Gordon Halliday F U. of Pennsylvania [ECAC]
1973 Amateur 167 12 Robert "Cap" Raeder G U. of New Hampshire [ECAC]
1973 Amateur 168 12 Louis Chiasson F Trois Rivieres Ducs [QMJHL]

1972 Amateur
1972 Amateur 4 1 Steve Shutt F Toronto Marlboros [OHA] 930 424 393 817 410
1972 Amateur 6 1 Michel "Bunny" Larocque G Ottawa 67's [OHA] 307 0 18 18 18
1972 Amateur 8 1 Dave Gardner C Toronto Marlboros [OHA] 350 75 114 189 41
1972 Amateur 14 1 John Van Boxmeer D Guelph C.M.C.'s [SOJHL] 588 84 274 358 465
1972 Amateur 46 3 Ed Gilbert C Hamilton Red Wings [OHA] 166 21 31 52 22
1972 Amateur 62 4 Dave Elenbaas G Cornell University [ECAC]
1972 Amateur 66 5 Bill Nyrop D Notre Dame [WCHA] 207 12 51 63 101
1972 Amateur 94 6 D'Arcy Ryan F Yale University [ECAC]
1972 Amateur 110 7 Yves Archambault G Sorel Black Hawks [QMJHL]
1972 Amateur 126 8 Graham Parsons G Red Deer Rustlers [AJHL]
1972 Amateur 142 9 Eddie Bumbacco F Notre Dame [WCHA]
1972 Amateur 151 10 Fred Riggall Dartmouth College [ECAC]
1972 Amateur 152 11 Ron LeBlanc D U. of Moncton [CIAU]

1971 Amateur
1971 Amateur 1 1 Guy Lafleur R Quebec Remparts [QMJHL] 1127 560 793 1353 399
1971 Amateur 7 1 Chuck Arnason R Flin Flon Bombers [WCHL] 401 109 90 199 122
1971 Amateur 11 1 Murray Wilson F Ottawa 67's [OHA] 386 94 95 189 162
1971 Amateur 20 2 Larry Robinson D Kitchener Rangers [OHA] 1384 208 750 958 793
1971 Amateur 24 2 Michel DeGuise G Sorel Black Hawks [QMJHL]
1971 Amateur 25 2 Terry French Ottawa 67's [OHA]
1971 Amateur 31 3 Jim Cahoon C U. of North Dakota [WCHA]
1971 Amateur 45 4 Ed Sidebottom D Estevan Bruins [WCHL]
1971 Amateur 53 4 Greg Hubick D U. of Minnesota-Duluth [WCHA] 77 6 9 15 10
1971 Amateur 67 5 Mike Busniuk F U. of Denver [WCHA] 143 3 23 26 297
1971 Amateur 81 6 Ross Butler L Winnipeg Jets [WCHL]
1971 Amateur 95 7 Peter Sullivan F Oshawa Generals [OHA] 126 28 54 82 40

1970 Amateur
1970 Amateur 5 1 Ray Martyniuk G Flin Flon Bombers [WCHL]
1970 Amateur 6 1 Chuck Lefley C Canadian National Team [Intl] 407 128 164 292 137
1970 Amateur 31 3 Steve Carlyle D Red Deer Rustlers [AJHL]
1970 Amateur 45 4 Cal Hammond G Flin Flon Bombers [WCHL]
1970 Amateur 52 4 John French L Toronto Marlboros [OHA]
1970 Amateur 66 5 Rick Wilson D U. of North Dakota [WCHA] 239 6 26 32 165
1970 Amateur 80 6 Robert Brown D Boston University [ECAC]
1970 Amateur 93 7 Bob Fowler R Estevan Bruins [WCHL]
1970 Amateur 105 8 Ric Jordan D Boston University [ECAC]

1969 Amateur
1969 Amateur 1 1 Rejean Houle R Montreal Junior Canadiens [OHA] 635 161 247 408 395
1969 Amateur 2 1 Marc Tardif L Montreal Junior Canadiens [OHA] 517 194 207 401 443
1969 Amateur 32 3 Bobby Sheehan C St. Catharines Black Hawks [OHA] 310 48 63 111 50
1969 Amateur 44 4 Murray Anderson D Flin Flon Bombers [WCHL] 38 0 1 1 68
1969 Amateur 56 5 Gary Doyle G Ottawa 67's [OHA]
1969 Amateur 63 6 Guy Delparte D London Knights [OHA] 48 1 8 9 18
1969 Amateur 68 6 Lynn Powis C U. of Denver [WCHA] 130 19 33 52 25
1969 Amateur 74 7 Ian Wilkie G Edmonton Oil Kings [WCHL]
1969 Amateur 75 7 Dale Power C Peterborough Petes [OHA]
1969 Amateur 79 8 Frank Hamill F Toronto Marlboros [OHA]
1969 Amateur 83 9 Gilles Drolet D Quebec Jr. Aces [QJAHL]
1969 Amateur 84 10 Darrel Knibbs C Lethbridge Sugar Kings [AJHL]

Now, the Habs didn't draft superbly in the 80s but still did well enough to build pieces to a Cup team. By then you couldn't acquire as many 1st rounders as in Pollock's day.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post

No doubt AK as more skills, but not a better player. No heart.

There's a reson Prust signed on day 1 of free agency while many teams were chasing him and AK is still looking for a contract and probably starting to consider the KHL.

People on this board focus way too much on skills (ex: signing Semin ) and not the player's mind and determination and how he fits in the team.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote