HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Whitney

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2012, 08:05 PM
  #1
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,395
vCash: 500
Ryan Whitney

Seems like the Oilers have a lot of defensemen in the mix this year and I'd assume developing young puck movers like Petry and Schultz would be the priority. Whitney's contract is also up at the end of the year...

Is he available?

What would he cost to acquire? What needs do the Oilers have?

In terms of value, would the cost for Whitney be comparable to the 2nd the Isles just gave up for Visnovsky? (I ask because Whitney and Visno were once traded for each other. Well, Whitney + a 6th).

__________________
PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:07 PM
  #2
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,296
vCash: 500
Honestly there's more value in for us to hope he regains his health and mobility than there is in a trade right now. When healthy he's our only legitimate top pairing D man.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:11 PM
  #3
488fitter
Registered User
 
488fitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Honestly there's more value in for us to hope he regains his health and mobility than there is in a trade right now. When healthy he's our only legitimate top pairing D man.
This.

488fitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:22 PM
  #4
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,499
vCash: 500
He won't be available at the start of the season, but maybe come trade deadline. If we have zero shot at the playoffs at that time, he's definitely on the table. If healthy and performing well, I'd have to think it starts with a 1st. Just look at what Kaberle fetched 2 years ago.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:22 PM
  #5
Homesick
Registered User
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 50
One is 28 and the other is 36. Visnovsky is rumoured to be retiring so Snang is trying to use his cap hit to get to the cap floor

The Oilers need some vets back there, so will probably hold onto him until at least the deadline

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:29 PM
  #6
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,263
vCash: 500
the price isn't high, but i'd want something useful coming back.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:33 PM
  #7
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
He won't be available at the start of the season, but maybe come trade deadline. If we have zero shot at the playoffs at that time, he's definitely on the table. If healthy and performing well, I'd have to think it starts with a 1st. Just look at what Kaberle fetched 2 years ago.
Yeah, waiting it out could certainly yield a higher return, if he stays healthy.

Kaberle fetched a lot, but he was also the 2nd most prolific defenseman in the NHL over the last decade or something like that. I believe he was also leading the league in PP points for defensemen at the time of the deal as well. James Wisniewski fetched a 2nd at that same deadline. It'll be interesting to see where Whitney falls on that spectrum of returns.

I think we could also see Visnovsky, Streit and Enstrom available at the deadline as well.

PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
  #8
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
One is 28 and the other is 36. Visnovsky is rumoured to be retiring so Snang is trying to use his cap hit to get to the cap floor

The Oilers need some vets back there, so will probably hold onto him until at least the deadline
But the 36 year old still has 45 more points than the 28 year old over the last two years. (They're 35 and 29 as of today, fwiw.)

PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:36 PM
  #9
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
the price isn't high, but i'd want something useful coming back.
What do the Oilers need?

PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:39 PM
  #10
Jet Oil
Registered User
 
Jet Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
What do the Oilers need?
A healthy Ryan Whitney.

Jet Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:43 PM
  #11
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
What do the Oilers need?
an upgrade on gimp whitney...

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:52 PM
  #12
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Oil View Post
A healthy Ryan Whitney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
an upgrade on gimp whitney...
Circular logic is circular.

PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:35 PM
  #13
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,726
vCash: 50
Basically he'd require the return you'd expect for a top pairing dman. We can't afford to trade him at his current value. I'd trade him for either a gritty 2nd line LW or another dman and a pick/prospect

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:44 PM
  #14
SephF
Visually Better
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Honestly there's more value in for us to hope he regains his health and mobility than there is in a trade right now. When healthy he's our only legitimate top pairing D man.
Pretty much, they wouldn't get much for him right now anyways. I'd rather hold onto him and hope his health turns around because when he was healthy he played some great hockey for the Oilers.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:14 PM
  #15
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
For Boston to get Whitney, they would have to shed almost 4M in cap space and the Oilers would pass on Thomas. Thomas will not come back to play for a non playoff team and Oilers would rather give Dubie his chance. If Whitney comes comes back to form, the price would be about the same the Leafs got for Tomas Kaberle.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:20 PM
  #16
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,606
vCash: 500
We might have a lot of dmen but we are still lacking top dmen. Whitney is working out hard this off season so if he comes back healthy I can see EDM making a run for the playoff. The reason why is with the addition of Yak, Schultz and a healthy Whitney it is like adding a top 6 fwd, a puck moving dman that will have growing issues but can offer a lot to the team and a legit top 2 dman.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:23 PM
  #17
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
We might have a lot of dmen but we are still lacking top dmen. Whitney is working out hard this off season so if he comes back healthy I can see EDM making a run for the playoff. The reason why is with the addition of Yak, Schultz and a healthy Whitney it is like adding a top 6 fwd, a puck moving dman that will have growing issues but can offer a lot to the team and a legit top 2 dman.
Dreaming to think that the Oilers will make the playoffs, still missing too many pieces.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:29 PM
  #18
Homesick
Registered User
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Basically he'd require the return you'd expect for a top pairing dman. We can't afford to trade him at his current value. I'd trade him for either a gritty 2nd line LW or another dman and a pick/prospect
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
For Boston to get Whitney, they would have to shed almost 4M in cap space and the Oilers would pass on Thomas. Thomas will not come back to play for a non playoff team and Oilers would rather give Dubie his chance. If Whitney comes comes back to form, the price would be about the same the Leafs got for Tomas Kaberle.
Nothing to see here. Everyone just move along.

Whitney has very little value because of his play, recent injury history, and current salary. The Oilers could trade him for a minimal return but they need at least one vet on each pairing IMO. Ideally, if he gets his game back the Oilers will be rolling with -
Whitney-Smid
N.Schultz-Petry
J.Schultz-Sutton

Maybe "ideally" isn't the best word to describe the Oilers D situation

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:43 PM
  #19
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Nothing to see here. Everyone just move along.

Whitney has very little value because of his play, recent injury history, and current salary. The Oilers could trade him for a minimal return but they need at least one vet on each pairing IMO. Ideally, if he gets his game back the Oilers will be rolling with -
Whitney-Smid
N.Schultz-Petry
J.Schultz-Sutton

Maybe "ideally" isn't the best word to describe the Oilers D situation
Whitney will most likely be traded at the TD, with Marincin and Klefbom knocking at the door it would be hard to keep him. If returns back to form, he'll want the long term contract, which the Oilers cannot afford to give, due to the prospects coming up.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:50 PM
  #20
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,726
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Nothing to see here. Everyone just move along.

Whitney has very little value because of his play, recent injury history, and current salary. The Oilers could trade him for a minimal return but they need at least one vet on each pairing IMO. Ideally, if he gets his game back the Oilers will be rolling with -
Whitney-Smid
N.Schultz-Petry
J.Schultz-Sutton

Maybe "ideally" isn't the best word to describe the Oilers D situation
You kinda missed the whole point of my post... It's that we have no need to trade him at his current value. If a team wanted him, they'd have to give us his value when he was healthy.

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:19 PM
  #21
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
I honestly think that Whitney would only be moved if the Oilers get an upgrade on defense in return.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:29 PM
  #22
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
What do the Oilers need?
A surgeon with a speciality in bionic feet and ankles.

Do bionics count against the cap?

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:48 PM
  #23
ZetterBurger
Registered User
 
ZetterBurger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Would take him on the Wings but if he's healthy he is an experienced veteran who has been there. Too valuable to the youth movement in Edmonton. He isn't going anywhere.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:13 AM
  #24
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Schultz does have potential to be top 4 next season. Many scouts said he would have gone top 5 easily in this years draft and he is drawing a lot of comparisons to players like Doughty and ahead of Gardiner according to their old coach who was a top 4 Dman last year as a rookie.
I have seen none of these top-5 draft and Doughty claims you are making. Links or it didn't happen.

Also, when people make draft claims like that, they are comparing a 22-year old to 17-18 year olds (most average prospects who haven't busted would have the same thing said about them), and when they make comparisons, it is in style, not potential. Big difference. Stralman was compared to Lidstrom by his old coach, and it was blown out of proportion in a similar way you are now.

The comparison of Schultz and Gardiner happened BEFORE Gardiner jumped ahead in development by leaps and bounds last year, a key point that people like you fail to mention.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:51 AM
  #25
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
I have seen none of these top-5 draft and Doughty claims you are making. Links or it didn't happen.

Also, when people make draft claims like that, they are comparing a 22-year old to 17-18 year olds (most average prospects who haven't busted would have the same thing said about them), and when they make comparisons, it is in style, not potential. Big difference. Stralman was compared to Lidstrom by his old coach, and it was blown out of proportion in a similar way you are now.

The comparison of Schultz and Gardiner happened BEFORE Gardiner jumped ahead in development by leaps and bounds last year, a key point that people like you fail to mention.
Article from end of June where Wisconsin coach says he is ahead of Gardiner and compares him to Suter
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...129/story.html

and

Hes as good as Gardiner is right now, said Prendergast. Hes well ahead of the learning curve for his age. Hes not just a puck-mover. Hes good defensively, too. When I would see him at Wisconsin, hed stand out. For sure, hed stand-out. The kids a player.

...Some scouts think hes similar to Drew Doughty.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...#ixzz20r4aJHiN


http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...man-weighs-in/
"The team that signs him could reasonably expect him to step onto their second pairing and be good on the power play from the get-go, which would be a great asset, with the ability to be even greater down the line."

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Never any guarantees with any player but you would be hard pressed to find an NHL scout who doesn't think Schultz has tremendous upside.


Im not going to waste any more time finding quotes and links for you as you obviously have decided that since he is now an Oiler that he wont play top 4 minutes in the NHL.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.