HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Trade Weber?

Old
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Eklund just wrote that there might be a deadline for Weber this Thursday or Friday until they will start shopping him. I'm not so sure about this because they extended their qualifying offer till August 1st.

He also proposed the asking price would be 2 top 6 forwards, 1 top 4 defender, 2 top flight prospects and 2 1st rounders. I think that asking price is asinine! I could see 5 assets going back, but 7 really really depletes a teams overall depth at the NHL level and also in their prospect level.
If true, and this is Eklund we are talking about, yeah count me in on a 80% recall like that. Thought. I want a team's pair pairing and a forward.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Eklund just wrote that there might be a deadline for Weber this Thursday or Friday until they will start shopping him. I'm not so sure about this because they extended their qualifying offer till August 1st.

He also proposed the asking price would be 2 top 6 forwards, 1 top 4 defender, 2 top flight prospects and 2 1st rounders. I think that asking price is asinine! I could see 5 assets going back, but 7 really really depletes a teams overall depth at the NHL level and also in their prospect level.
Yeah, thats asinine speculation. Leave it to Eklund. I think, realistically, its 1 top defender/1 top forward/1 top prospect/1 top draft pick

or

2 top forwards/ 1 top prospect/ 1 top pick

or

1 Top defender/ two top prospects/ 1 top pick

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:42 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Hossa was a deadline deal and a pending UFA. He also was never considered arguably th best forward in the NHL. Not even close comparables.

I can't see any possible way if we have to trade Weber that we don't get a massive return back unless Weber demands to be traded to one specific team.
I agree the return will be massive - but will it pan out?

If we get a return similar to what Edmonton got for Pronger - would you be happy? Because those assets were very well regarded at the time of the trade, although they didn't all pan out.

Poile has to hit a homerun with what he gets back.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I agree the return will be massive - but will it pan out?

If we get a return similar to what Edmonton got for Pronger - would you be happy? Because those assets were very well regarded at the time of the trade, although they didn't all pan out.

Poile has to hit a homerun with what he gets back.
If we follow the framework Edmonton got for Pronger, the Flyers could offer something around this

Voracek+Coburn+1st(2013)+1st(2014)+2nd(conditional on reaching Cup). Maybe we would add Laughton? I think 6 pieces is pushing it though.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
If we follow the framework Edmonton got for Pronger, the Flyers could offer something around this

Voracek+Coburn+1st(2013)+1st(2014)+2nd(conditional on reaching Cup). Maybe we would add Laughton? I think 6 pieces is pushing it though.
I would say on the Flyers end they will probably need to give up at least one of Schenn/Couturier. I don't think Voracek is going to cover it. I think Nashville REALLY wants Couturier because he is a center.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I would say on the Flyers end they will probably need to give up at least one of Schenn/Couturier. I don't think Voracek is going to cover it. I think Nashville REALLY wants Couturier because he is a center.
I was just using the Pronger deal has a framework. Anaheim gave up a top line winger, and Voracek fits that mold. Coburn is better than Smid. We would give up more draft picks also. I know it doesn't seem like much, but the Flyers management has been adamant about trading either Schenn/Couts.

I also though the Preds were alright down the middle. Legwand, Fisher, and Guastad. They seem to lack top 6 wingers. Not saying that would be the best deal available or even made available by the Flyers, I just think Weber will get 5 solid pieces back, not franchise worthy though. Just like every other huge trade that has happened in the past.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Perro

I put forward Doughty for Weber a while ago and was basically told to F off. Has anyone reconsidered.
Wber is a better player but Doughty is locked up and should keep getting better.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I put forward Doughty for Weber a while ago and was basically told to F off. Has anyone reconsidered.
Wber is a better player but Doughty is locked up and should keep getting better.
The problem here is that I think Doughty could be very pissed about a trade and pull a Jeff Carter. I know I'd be mad if the SC champs traded me right after I was a huge part of their win and signed long-term.

Value wise, good. In reality......not sure.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
The problem here is that I think Doughty could be very pissed about a trade and pull a Jeff Carter. I know I'd be mad if the SC champs traded me right after I was a huge part of their win and signed long-term.

Value wise, good. In reality......not sure.
Definately unlikely, but I would like to see it. Would be a huge gamble by Lombardi. If Weber doesn're sign long term the trade is brutal. Even if he does Doughty has the ability to make it look bad.
Whatever happens I just hope Weber does not end up in Vancouver. I like cheering for him.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:35 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
no. if we are trading Weber, it cant be a 1 for one, its gotta be Weber for multiple good pieces.

the sticking point will be who is Weber willing to sign with long term.... because we only get the massive return if Weber is locked up for life...

its a huge game of chicken... Weber wants the lifetime deal so he must sign with somebody by Sept 15.... Poile wants max return so can threaten to just not sign Weber unless Weber allows him to get a good return, which might not be with the team Weber would prefer... if Weber holds out and he goes past Sept 15, he probably doesnt get the lifetime deal but poile doesnt get the assets he needs either...

hopefully, Weber either decides, "screw it, Nashville is MY team, and Im gonna get them to the top" and signs here for 14 years/112 million or else Weber gives poile at least 5 or 6 teams to negotiate a massive deal with....

the huge cluster is going to be if Weber only has one or two alternative destinations and plays hardball

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Yeah... no.

I don't even know where to start with that. Wilson has never gone above 40 points... gets benched in playoffs, not a great skater... hasn't become a 2nd line center like stepan has...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Did you really just say that?

Stepan had 51 points last year.
Wilson isn't a great skater? You should see Stepan "skate"

But no Wilson isn't there yet, the Rangers are just lucky that Stepan has developed very quickly. I still believe their ceilings are the same. I see both as 60 point players with spikes into 70.

Stepan is a more sound/intelligent player, but Wilson is easily more skilled, make no mistake. I think Wilson would have a great time centering Marian Gaborik. To be fair the Preds have never had a winger with quite his level of talent, not even Radulov.

I really like Stepan, but I really like Wilson too.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no. if we are trading Weber, it cant be a 1 for one, its gotta be Weber for multiple good pieces.

the sticking point will be who is Weber willing to sign with long term.... because we only get the massive return if Weber is locked up for life...

its a huge game of chicken... Weber wants the lifetime deal so he must sign with somebody by Sept 15.... Poile wants max return so can threaten to just not sign Weber unless Weber allows him to get a good return, which might not be with the team Weber would prefer... if Weber holds out and he goes past Sept 15, he probably doesnt get the lifetime deal but poile doesnt get the assets he needs either...

hopefully, Weber either decides, "screw it, Nashville is MY team, and Im gonna get them to the top" and signs here for 14 years/112 million or else Weber gives poile at least 5 or 6 teams to negotiate a massive deal with....

the huge cluster is going to be if Weber only has one or two alternative destinations and plays hardball
It's been a huge cluster for over a year, I don't imagine that Weber and his agent will do anything to make it easier. He's had every chance to sign here and has chosen not to----so frankly, I think he is in the "screw it, Nashville" frame of mind.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
It's been a huge cluster for over a year, I don't imagine that Weber and his agent will do anything to make it easier. He's had every chance to sign here and has chosen not to----so frankly, I think he is in the "screw it, Nashville" frame of mind.
I REALLY doubt that even if Weber doesn't sign with Nashville, he is going to try to screw over the franchise. He will work together with Polie to try to find a deal that works for everyone. I get no sense that there is contention between Weber or Polie.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:40 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
I REALLY doubt that even if Weber doesn't sign with Nashville, he is going to try to screw over the franchise. He will work together with Polie to try to find a deal that works for everyone. I get no sense that there is contention between Weber or Polie.
Methinks this as well.

If Weber does want to leave, for fiance/personal reasons or whatever, he seems to be the kind of guy who wouldn't want to completely screw over the Preds. IMO that could explain the lack of the dreaded one-year offer-sheet, Weber may want to go somewhere, and rather than agree to threaten to sign a one-year offersheet with that team to force a trade, he may be holding off to give Poile leverage to at least get a fair deal done.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Dustin16182

Obviously Detroit would have to overpay for Weber, and I know Poile will not trade to Detroit, but I think it'd be reasonable to offer Hank, Cleary/Bert/Abs, any defensive prospect that's not Smith, and Tatar. Then maybe overpay with some picks? I'm not going to act like I'm good at these trade value things, flame easy please.

Detroit would have to absolutely sign one if not two of Semin and Doan.

Nashville finally loses a great defenseman for something and not nothing.

Also, as much as I hate the wings playing against Nashville, I love watching Nashville play other teams. I know this makes me unlike most wings fans, but I still think the Preds have a great team, stoked to watch some of your guys games this year.

Dustin16182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:49 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin16182 View Post
Obviously Detroit would have to overpay for Weber, and I know Poile will not trade to Detroit, but I think it'd be reasonable to offer Hank, Cleary/Bert/Abs, any defensive prospect that's not Smith, and Tatar. Then maybe overpay with some picks? I'm not going to act like I'm good at these trade value things, flame easy please.

Detroit would have to absolutely sign one if not two of Semin and Doan.

Nashville finally loses a great defenseman for something and not nothing.

Also, as much as I hate the wings playing against Nashville, I love watching Nashville play other teams. I know this makes me unlike most wings fans, but I still think the Preds have a great team, stoked to watch some of your guys games this year.
If you want Weber on Detroit, prepare to pay, and pay big.

No way you get him without Smith in the deal somewhere.

Smith (could plug him in to the D, Weber replacement in a few years maybe)+Tatar+Abdelkader (roster forward). I still don't know if that does it.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Wilson isn't a great skater? You should see Stepan "skate"

But no Wilson isn't there yet, the Rangers are just lucky that Stepan has developed very quickly. I still believe their ceilings are the same. I see both as 60 point players with spikes into 70.

Stepan is a more sound/intelligent player, but Wilson is easily more skilled, make no mistake. I think Wilson would have a great time centering Marian Gaborik. To be fair the Preds have never had a winger with quite his level of talent, not even Radulov.

I really like Stepan, but I really like Wilson too.
Um no Wilson is not a great skater. Wilson isn't even playing center for the preds nor do I ever suspect he will. Wilson's vision isn't near Stepans and frankly Stepan is more complete player and I don't see that changing in their careers.

Anyways, back on topic. Rumor birds are chirping the decision to trade weber may come later this week. not sure I believe that but we shall see.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I was just using the Pronger deal has a framework. Anaheim gave up a top line winger, and Voracek fits that mold. Coburn is better than Smid. We would give up more draft picks also. I know it doesn't seem like much, but the Flyers management has been adamant about trading either Schenn/Couts.

I also though the Preds were alright down the middle. Legwand, Fisher, and Guastad. They seem to lack top 6 wingers. Not saying that would be the best deal available or even made available by the Flyers, I just think Weber will get 5 solid pieces back, not franchise worthy though. Just like every other huge trade that has happened in the past.
I think this is a pretty fair assessment. At this point, I think we're setting ourselves up for a lot of disappointment with some of the names and packages we think we're getting back (and freaking Eklund isn't helping by spouting that ridiculous crap). It wouldn't shock me to see a Schenn/Couts/'Big 4' caliber player coming back as part of the package, but I'm really not expecting it. It's natural to want a potential franchise player in return for dealing your established one, but it rarely seems to work that way.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:39 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Right, just like Suter made sure not to leave Nashville high and dry. If Weber wants out, his concern isn't the Preds. These guys say all the right things. Very few sacrifice for the team.

Going to be a while before I get over the Suter fiasco.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:21 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Right, just like Suter made sure not to leave Nashville high and dry. If Weber wants out, his concern isn't the Preds. These guys say all the right things. Very few sacrifice for the team.

Exactly! Just because we feel some loyalty to our players.......doesn't mean they feel anything....... They do say all the right things.....

Look at the penguins, canucks, etc.........they have top notch players that take a cut to play..... class,loyalty.... (just threw up in my mouth a little to say that about canucks, lol)

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:23 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Suter...Suter...that name doesn't ring a bell.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:04 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I bet it rings loud and clear to Poile.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I bet it rings loud and clear to Poile.

I love coming to this board first thing in the morning to start the day off with a laugh.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:49 AM
WartracePred

Unless I win the lottery, I won't continue to spend my limited resources on season tickets, make a 2 hour round trip, pay $6 for a $2 beer, etc... to help pay for a group of mercenaries that have zero loyalty.

If Weber doesn't sign quickly, trade him to the highest bidder in the worst locale. Give him the reward he deserves.

Now if he signs here, all ill will is forgotten.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:03 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Unless I win the lottery, I won't continue to spend my limited resources on season tickets, make a 2 hour round trip, pay $6 for a $2 beer, etc... to help pay for a group of mercenaries that have zero loyalty.
I don't remember any one saying that when Sullivan, Ward, etc. left. Weren't they mercenaries also? In fact they're all mercenaries but they're our mercenaries!!

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote