HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colorado signs D Greg Zanon (2 years, $4.5 million - $2.25m AAV)

Old
07-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Zanon reminds me of Brett Clark in so many ways
For all of Clarke's faults, he was better offensively and with the puck. The loose comparison I have in my head is a more physical Skrastins. Also a keep it simple, average sized, shot blocking defensive defenseman.

Hopefully he's more towards the Nashville-Colorado Skrastins, but I keep reading opinions from Minnesota and Boston that make him sound closer to the less effective Florida-Dallas Skrastins.

Guess we'll have to wait and see how he does in Colorado's system.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Zanon reminds me of Brett Clark in so many ways
It's not a bad comparison with the exception of the boneheaded turnovers and lugging the puck up the ice only to get to the blueline and making a stupid play while all your teammates are waiting for a pass or something to happen. You won't see any of that in Zanon's game which is a big plus. He plays the game within his means but can make a solid pass. I think Avs fans will be very happy with this addition as long as Sacco doesn't try to turn him into a top pairing guy somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Just re-reading this and wanted to add that we can't really compare defensive defenseman and give a lot of importance to puck moving. Even that said, only de Vries was a better puck mover on that list.

ROB isn't that great with the puck, but there's been worse on the Avalanche, and Miller, Klemm, Kaspar, Hannan, and Skrastins weren't really better than him in that regard. It wasn't a strong suit for any of them.
It wasn't a strong suit for any of them but they were all superior to O'Byrne in that regard, in my opinion.

Quote:
For all of Clarke's faults, he was better offensively and with the puck. The loose comparison I have in my head is a more physical Skrastins. Also a keep it simple, average sized, shot blocking defensive defenseman.

Hopefully he's more towards the Nashville-Colorado Skrastins, but I keep reading opinions from Minnesota and Boston that make him sound closer to the less effective Florida-Dallas Skrastins.

Guess we'll have to wait and see how he does in Colorado's system.
I think that's a fair comparison. I'm actually expecting the '1st year with the Avs' version of Skrastins and he was pretty awesome for us that year.

Personally, I think it's all about the right fit. In Nashville, with the wonder twins playing so many minutes, he was basically underappreciated on that team. On the Wild, it was the opposite since they've been pretty weak defensively the past 2-3 years and you can't ask a guy like that to 'save' the D. On the Avs, if he's used correctly, as a #4,5 or 6, he should do pretty well.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:27 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I think that's a fair comparison. I'm actually expecting the '1st year with the Avs' version of Skrastins and he was pretty awesome for us that year.

Personally, I think it's all about the right fit. In Nashville, with the wonder twins playing so many minutes, he was basically underappreciated on that team. On the Wild, it was the opposite since they've been pretty weak defensively the past 2-3 years and you can't ask a guy like that to 'save' the D. On the Avs, if he's used correctly, as a #4,5 or 6, he should do pretty well.
To be honest, I don't have any idea how he'll fit in. I don't think any of us do, not that we can't make educated guesses like you did.

Even though I think he is not the type of defenseman this team needs, if he can play solid D, it can only help the team. The same way Hejda became an effective defenseman for the team when he stopped trying to play a two way game, and simplified things, despite the team still needing more offense from the blueline.

This team still has issues with their defensive game. I think that has more to do with the Avs system, and young forwards being told to be aggressive on the forecheck by Sacco, but picking the wrong spots some times. Having a solid defensive defenseman can only help with that though, and is better than a two way guy that isn't all that good defensively.

Maybe the role did have an affect on Zanon's overall performance. That has a big impact on a defenseman being scapegoated. That said I have a nagging feeling that when the puck drops in October (hopefully) we'll see him on the top pairing next to EJ.

Even still, it might not be a bad pairing. It all depends on how well they mesh, and if he can keep things simple. Even more important than a role is to a defenseman, is who his partner is, and how well they play in their own end. When you have two guys that are good defensively, they make each other's jobs easier as they don't put each other in tough spots. That's why Hejda and OB make a good pairing.

EJ's no slouch defensively so maybe it'll work if they're paired together. Hannan formed a good pairing with Quincey, who even though he takes some flack for his play, I still think he was fairly good defensively. EJ's an upgrade on Quincey offensively and defensively, so if Zanon can play at a similar level as Hannan (just realized how close their names are) they could make a solid pairing as well.

They still need a more solid two way guy to help EJ carry the puck IMO, but if him and Zanon mesh, and Hejda-OB continue their play, they may be able to get by this season depending on if they can get a solid offensive contribution over the season from other guys like O'Brien, Wilson, Hunwick, and possibly Elliott, Barrie, and Gaunce if they can take some bigger steps in their development.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
To be honest, I don't have any idea how he'll fit in. I don't think any of us do, not that we can't make educated guesses like you did.

Even though I think he is not the type of defenseman this team needs, if he can play solid D, it can only help the team. The same way Hejda became an effective defenseman for the team when he stopped trying to play a two way game, and simplified things, despite the team still needing more offense from the blueline.

This team still has issues with their defensive game. I think that has more to do with the Avs system, and young forwards being told to be aggressive on the forecheck by Sacco, but picking the wrong spots some times. Having a solid defensive defenseman can only help with that though, and is better than a two way guy that isn't all that good defensively.

Maybe the role did have an affect on Zanon's overall performance. That has a big impact on a defenseman being scapegoated. That said I have a nagging feeling that when the puck drops in October (hopefully) we'll see him on the top pairing next to EJ.

Even still, it might not be a bad pairing. It all depends on how well they mesh, and if he can keep things simple. Even more important than a role is to a defenseman, is who his partner is, and how well they play in their own end. When you have two guys that are good defensively, they make each other's jobs easier as they don't put each other in tough spots. That's why Hejda and OB make a good pairing.

EJ's no slouch defensively so maybe it'll work if they're paired together. Hannan formed a good pairing with Quincey, who even though he takes some flack for his play, I still think he was fairly good defensively. EJ's an upgrade on Quincey offensively and defensively, so if Zanon can play at a similar level as Hannan (just realized how close their names are) they could make a solid pairing as well.

They still need a more solid two way guy to help EJ carry the puck IMO, but if him and Zanon mesh, and Hejda-OB continue their play, they may be able to get by this season depending on if they can get a solid offensive contribution over the season from other guys like O'Brien, Wilson, Hunwick, and possibly Elliott, Barrie, and Gaunce if they can take some bigger steps in their development.
If the roster stays the same as it is right now, I think you're probably right...which would be a pretty tough spot to put a guy like Zanon in, tbh. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise like you said.

However, what doesn't make any sense with that hypothesis, is that we initially targetted Matt Carkner before signing Zanon. There is no way they would have tried to sign Carkner for that role, since he's so limited and a right-handed shot () to boot.

So unless they plan on reuniting Hejda with EJ and sticking Zanon with O'Byrne, there is just something that doesn't add up here, for me anyways.

I still have the feeling that they are going to try to acquire a player through trade to play with EJ. A package with one of our current d-men, one of our young offensive d-men (Barrie/Elliott) and a 2nd or 3rd round pick is the kind of package that the Avs could afford to give up to acquire a key piece.

A lot of people have mentioned a guy like Enstrom. If the Jets can't get him locked up over the summer, they'd be pretty hard pressed to get that kind of package for essentially a RENTAL at the deadline. I still think something will happen.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Zanon was 6th on Boston in TOI (out of his fellow defenseman)

If he's on our first line we're in trouble.

Top 4 guy to top 2 guy? Yeah I could see that...but promoting a top 6 guy to top 2? Yikes.

I thought we were trying to develop Erik Johnson, not saddle him with considerably inferior d-men to try and cover for.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:35 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Zanon was 6th on Boston in TOI (out of his fellow defenseman)

If he's on our first line we're in trouble.

Top 4 guy to top 2 guy? Yeah I could see that...but promoting a top 6 guy to top 2? Yikes.

I thought we were trying to develop Erik Johnson, not saddle him with considerably inferior d-men to try and cover for.
You have to realize Zanon's quality of competition in Boston though. Guys like Boychuk, Chara, Ference and Seidenberg are better than what we can offer in regards to our depth.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
You have to realize Zanon's quality of competition in Boston though. Guys like Boychuk, Chara, Ference and Seidenberg are better than what we can offer in regards to our depth.
Chara, yes. Seidenberg yes, except EJ.

Boychuck and Ference are heavily debatable. I think they're pretty equal to our current depth.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
Chara, yes. Seidenberg yes, except EJ.

Boychuck and Ference are heavily debatable. I think they're pretty equal to our current depth.
Ference was horrible last year. He's overrated.

Boychuck had an awesome +/- (+27) considering his Corsi competition.

Zanon may have not gotten time because the defensemen were better in front of him, but then what kind of competition was he really stacked up against then?

To me he's unproven. And I'm not ready to stick him on the 1st pairing and throw him to the dogs. We need someone capable paired with EJ in the worst way. I'm kind of shocked that they're just going to let EJ learn the rigors of being a #1 d-man without bringing in a vet to bring some of the pressure off.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote