Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Ondrej Pavelec DUI

Old
07-16-2012, 05:25 PM
blues10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Kevin Cheveldayoff, General Manager of the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club, has issued the following statement on behalf of True North Sports & Entertainment:

“At this time True North Sports & Entertainment and the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club are aware of various, yet still inconsistent, internet reports pertaining to Ondrej Pavelec. We, as an organization, are attempting to gather more information and until such time as we are comfortable and have a full understanding of the situation, we will not be issuing any further comment.”
Perhaps, Pavs and his agent didn't disclose this incident to the Jets.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
No, I know you are a lawyer, and I thank you for explaining it to me. But people that I know aren't aware of the additional Federal laws that may accompany any sentances. They are only aware of Provincial laws. No one talks about the 0.08 Federal limit; only the 0.05 Provincial limit. In my world, anything over 0.05, be it Provincial or Federal, and you are screwed.
The difference is what is 'criminal' and what is a highway traffic offence. It's a crime to drive over .08 anywhere in Canada.

If there are provincial laws for .05, you could get a fine and/or temporary suspension but you aren't commiting a 'crime' and you won't have a criminal record.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:29 PM
blues10

As for the .20 - judge for yourself - the link is a pretty good website for info- He was very drunk in my opinion and the court has made its decision.

Quote:
0.20 BAC: Feeling dazed/confused or otherwise disoriented. May need help to stand/walk. If you injure yourself you may not feel the pain. Some people have nausea and vomiting at this level. The gag reflex is impaired and you can choke if you do vomit. Blackouts are likely at this level so you may not remember what has happened.
http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

Old
07-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Perhaps, Pavs and his agent didn't disclose this incident to the Jets.
Chances of that appear extremely high. They were blindsided by this. And, no doubt, are fuming mad.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:37 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Chances of that appear extremely high. They were blindsided by this. And, no doubt, are fuming mad.
I would be pretty sure that this should probably have been disclosed when he re-signed.

Perhaps those with knowledge of standard NHL player contracts would know.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

vCash: 50
Why oh why are people so bloody STUPID?

(guys who drink and drive, I mean)

Ugh. What a total Charlie Foxtrot.

Active Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:59 PM
fmax

was my favourite Jet

fmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I was listening to lawless on my way home.
He brought a good point.
It will be almost a given that the jets will have (or at least try to have),him stay in winnipeg for most of the summer now, too keep and eye on him and his training.

With his summer training already in question, this just shows he doesnt really give a ****.

Perfect excuse now to protect their investment

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I was listening to lawless on my way home.
He brought a good point.
It will be almost a given that the jets will have (or at least try to have),him stay in winnipeg for most of the summer now, too keep and eye on him and his training.

With his summer training already in question, this just shows he doesnt really give a ****.

how can they force him to say? unless its in his contract which i doubt he could just tell them to for fly a kite and ill see you in September !

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:24 PM
BrokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Let's hope it's not so bad that he has to Czech himself into rehab.

I'm done now.

Too bad Pavs didn't have his czechbook on him... this whole thing might have been a non issue

BrokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
how can they force him to say? unless its in his contract which i doubt he could just tell them to for fly a kite and ill see you in September !
Hence why i said try
Got to protect your investment sone how

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
07-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Huffer

I'm not going to comment on the nature of his offense.

Regarding the contract and the Jets knowledge, I can't image this being the right way for Pavelec to start his 1st contract with the Jets.

He kept this from TNSE, and then allowing them to find out after the fact is not going to make him very popular when he comes back into the office.

I also can't see how this day and age that TNSE didn't know about it. That seems strange as well.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:45 PM
blues10

If the Jets did not know about this it may be time for Pavs to part ways with Allan Walsh.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:55 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Ok, do we have a scale misundestanding?

I undestand 2.0 being very drunk, the Finnish limit is 0.5.

But if this was 0.2, then it's not being drunk, just having alcohol in the blood. Kind of just understandable mistake.
2.0 is not drunk it is dead. The lethal dose for most people is somewhere between .35 - .50 so .20 is in fact quite drunk. It would be somewhere around a dozen beer (not light) over approx 6 hours. Since this happened at 10 AM, my guess is Pavs had a whole **** load the night before.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Oh, Ondrej, that's so Khabibulin.

If he's just barely over in a country with a zero tolerance policy then that's not as though he was **** faced and drove his car. Due to press, TNSE and Pavs will go thru the motions for the percent out there who may care. Don't think it matters if they knew about it or not at contract negotiations. Not like they would have offered him less based on a DUI. Gave him 5 years so they obviously respect his character and I would think most on here still do as well.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
If the Jets did not know about this it may be time for Pavs to part ways with Allan Walsh.
Really? I would think if Pav's agent could somehow have kept this from the Jets for a whole month, and then get his client signed to a 4 year deal at great money, he should get a raise if anything.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
tntkid

This should work out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Buff should drive Pavs around.

Pavs should boat Buff around.

Problem solved

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
I would assume that, with a salary of 3+ million per year, come certain responsibilities, obeying the law being on of them.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Jetbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post

I have a lot of respect for your opinions in general, but this is the silliest thing I've read on these boards. He made a big mistake but that's a pretty huge leap in logic to say he doesn't give a **** about his training. Is he not allowed to get drunk for the term of the contract? He should be in a gym 24 hours a day? It's the middle of the summer and you have NO idea about ANY of the circumstances. For all we know he is over there training religiously and this is the first time he got drunk all summer. He made a mistake but saying he doesn't give a **** because of it is stupid.

Jetbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:33 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbruin View Post
I have a lot of respect for your opinions in general, but this is the silliest thing I've read on these boards. He made a big mistake but that's a pretty huge leap in logic to say he doesn't give a **** about his training. Is he not allowed to get drunk for the term of the contract? He should be in a gym 24 hours a day? It's the middle of the summer and you have NO idea about ANY of the circumstances. For all we know he is over there training religiously and this is the first time he got drunk all summer. He made a mistake but saying he doesn't give a **** because of it is stupid.
He can drink all he wants like you or I.
I am in no way shape or form the person to tell anyone else They cant drink

However, it has been well documented that Pav's has poor training during the summer, and comes into camp in less then stellar shape.

To me, that appears not to give a ****

Old
07-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
I would assume that, with a salary of 3+ million per year, come certain responsibilities, obeying the law being on of them.
I didn't know that the size of a salary indicated how seriously you need to obey the law.

I haven't driven impaired for a long long time but I always feel that rural people have different opinions of DUI than urban people, especially people that came of age in the 80's or earlier. It is hard to pass judgement on something that nearly everyone did a couple/three decades ago in rural Manitoba. I don't think I had a single friend in that era who hadn't driven at least once where they would blow 0.2 (that is way way to high to drive safely tbh).
I still believe that when I am eating a fast food meal while driving I am far more of a hazard to other people than if I was driving impaired. People still do that though, myself included. I guess that is why eating/drinking while driving has been banned in some countries for decades. Would people from those Countries have the same level of dislike of you driving down Portage with a Timmy's coffee in your hand? How dare you but others at risk.

That is why a lot of older people don't have the same distaste as younger people and these topics always end up messy. Not defending it, just explaining the difference of opinion and I think a lot of glasshouse stones are being thrown in this thread.

That said, he should have been smart enough to hire a taxi or have someone else drive him home. In this era you can't drive impaired.
I worked in a country without impaired driving laws for a lot of years. When we went out we hired taxis, not because the law made us but because we didn't want to be responsible for hurting anyone.
We weren't any safer though since the taxi drivers drank more heavily than us.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:42 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I guess he won't be doing any ads for Jimmy Gooocheeeyay Cahdeeelac Beueeek GMCeeee this season.
This reminds me of Nick Hill for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Free Press translated that to .20, or to put it into the langauge i the Criminal Code, 200 mg alcohol per 100 mL of blood.

200 is pretty damn high. As someone pointed out, its 2.5x the Canadian legal limit. I once had an opportunity to drink and use a breathalyzer. My highest reading was 167 - I then promptly went and passed out.

Since he has been convicted (unlike Buf, who is awaiting trial) I'm a little disappointed the Jets wouldn't comment on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
2.0 is not drunk it is dead. The lethal dose for most people is somewhere between .35 - .50 so .20 is in fact quite drunk. It would be somewhere around a dozen beer (not light) over approx 6 hours. Since this happened at 10 AM, my guess is Pavs had a whole **** load the night before.
0.20 at 10 AM? Whoa. Surprised all he did was rear end somebody. He easily could've wound up killing somebody or dead himself.

Is it possible it was only 0.02? Seems a bit more plausible.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post

0.20 at 10 AM? Whoa. Surprised all he did was rear end somebody. He easily could've wound up killing somebody or dead himself.

Is it possible it was only 0.02? Seems a bit more plausible.
I am also starting to wonder if it was a .02 and not a .20 Czechs routinely drink beer for breakfast.

Quote:
Of course too, Czech Republic has the highest beer consumption in the world. Czech beer is like water to many citizens - it's just a basic way of life.

And, Prague has hundreds of pubs and places to have a drink. From a beer in the morning to wine at dinner, Czechs like to drink.
Perhaps some locals can weigh in on this.

http://www.my-prague-sights.com/czec...c-culture.html

Old
07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
No one's been out drinking all night? He was probably pounding em down till the wee hours of the morn then had to get home somehow. At least that's how I assume it happened.

Either way, there's no justification for drinking and driving. I'm not very proud to say but I used to DD every now and then when I was younger and thinking back now it was probably one of the riskiest and most stupid things I've done in my life.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:24 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
I have to wonder if there was truly any "hiding" being done by Pavs and his agent. From May to now is a long time. If this did happen in May, why are we only finding out about it now? Pavs and his agent can't control the Czech media, and Pavs is a large enough celebrity there to warrant at least a decent news page article. We should have found out about this months ago, like we did when we heard about Buff's watership down episode.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote