HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Will Jean Ratelle ever have his # retired by the Rangers?

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I agree completely, and I loved Graves when he was here.

But Graves being in the rafters is just another example of 1994 running amok with Garden management.
The horse of 94 has been beaten to death. God if the Rangers win the cup anytime soon, I am burning my 94 memorabilia.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I disagree. Adam Graves was the #1 Ranger in my life time off the ice with all he has done for the city of New York and for the residents. He wasn't a bad player either and without those 52 goals do you think the Rangers win the cup that year? I dunno, maybe, maybe not.

Graves # isn't hanging because of his on ice abilities and stats, it's hanging because he played a big part in 94' and because he was one of the most (if not most ever) loved Rangers of all time and for his off the ice charity work.

You could I suppose make a case for hanging his name up on the rafters and not the actual # but I believe they did the correct thing. Leetch, Richter, Graves & Messier all belong together hanging forever 1994.
That fact that you're using this to justify his number in the rafters speaks volumes of his talent. Sure he was a hard worker, but we should have high standards. Elite players only. Graves was never elite. We're the NY Rangers, an original 6 franchise not the Vancouver Canucks who put up Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden. The rafters are for elite hockey players only.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
That fact that you're using this to justify his number in the rafters speaks volumes of his talent. Sure he was a hard worker, but we should have high standards. Elite players only. Graves was never elite. We're the NY Rangers, an original 6 franchise not the Vancouver Canucks who put up Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden. The rafters are for elite hockey players only.
It's subjective.

I think the Hall of Fame is for the elite. I think jersey retirements are for those who make a lasting impact while wearing the uniform.

At least that's my take.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
So you wouldn't retire Callahan's number if he played his whole career here? Sorry, but in my opinion, that's ****ed up.

Him and Hank each have a reserved spot in the rafters.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
The horse of 94 has been beaten to death. God if the Rangers win the cup anytime soon, I am burning my 94 memorabilia.

That's insane.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Riverdale

The people who hate on '94 because of it being brought up a lot are just as bad as the ones who desperately hang onto it.

Its a part of Rangers history, it SHOULD be remembered.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
It's subjective.

I think the Hall of Fame is for the elite. I think jersey retirements are for those who make a lasting impact while wearing the uniform.

At least that's my take.
Graves wasn't a game breaking player. May as well put up Jagr's number too. With the low standards you've already set for the franchise.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
So you wouldn't retire Callahan's number if he played his whole career here? Sorry, but in my opinion, that's ****ed up.

Him and Hank each have a reserved spot in the rafters.
Henrik, no question. He has been an elite player ever since he's stepped in here.

Callahan? You've got to be kidding me.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Henrik, no question. He has been an elite player ever since he's stepped in here.

Callahan? You've got to be kidding me.
The standard has already been set with Graves. If Callahan is the Captain for the rest of his years here and wins a Cup, his name will be up there. He is the definition of being a Ranger. Not everything is about goals and assists.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
That's insane.
Perhaps a bit too harsh.

I'd put it up for a garage sale.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
The standard has already been set with Graves. If Callahan is the Captain for the rest of his years here and wins a Cup, his name will be up there. He is the definition of being a Ranger. Not everything is about goals and assists.
Which is quite unfortunate.

Callahan would have no business even dreaming about getting on the rafters in Boston or Edmonton or the Isles or the Leafs.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Which is quite unfortunate.

Callahan would have no business even dreaming about getting on the rafters in Boston or Edmonton or the Isles or the Leafs.
Well guess what. He's a Ranger. And I'd be pretty damn proud to have Callahan's name in the rafters at MSG. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way. You don't have to be Mike Bossy to get retired.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Well guess what. He's a Ranger. And I'd be pretty damn proud to have Callahan's name in the rafters at MSG. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way. You don't have to be Mike Bossy to get retired.
Congrats.

We'll have the three time winner of the Steve MacDonald Extra Effort Award up on the rafters. Oh joy!

Old
07-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Congrats.

We'll have the three time winner of the Steve MacDonald Extra Effort Award up on the rafters. Oh joy!
That's why he's being retired by the Rangers, not being elected to the Hall of Fame. Like I said, it's not all about points. Agree to disagree.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Kershaw

Callahan has been a grinder for the majority of his career. Unless he ups his production to an elite caliber player for the rest of his career, I'd be furious if his jersey numbers sniffs the rafters. It's a joke that Ratelle and Park don't have their numbers up, but we are seriously contemplating to put Callahan up there?

It's a sick joke.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Crease

Quote:
That's why he's being retired by the Rangers, not being elected to the Hall of Fame. Like I said, it's not all about points. Agree to disagree.
It should be harder to have your number retired than to make the HHOF, in my opinion.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
It should be harder to have your number retired than to make the HHOF, in my opinion.
What I meant was, Callahan doesn't need to be an elite player in this league to be retired by a single team. He just needs to be a career impact player, Captain, fan favorite, and display what it means to be a Ranger, all with the Rangers to be retired by this club. I don't see why he needs to be an elite player.

If he wins a Cup as Captain of this team, I don't see how anyone can argue against his number being raised.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
What I meant was, Callahan doesn't need to be an elite player in this league to be retired by a single team. He just needs to be a career impact player, Captain, fan favorite, and display what it means to be a Ranger, all with the Rangers to be retired by this club. I don't see why he needs to be an elite player.

If he wins a Cup as Captain of this team, I don't see how anyone can argue against his number being raised.
Again, standards are set very low if Callahan is up there. Only truly exceptional hockey players ie HHOF caliber should be up there. That's the etiquette and standards for most teams.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:43 AM
chosen

If Callahan belongs there, then so do about 50 other Rangers. Just because you like a player does not mean he deserves it.

Once Graves went up there it destroyed the notion that only special players should qualify.

People now confuse greatness with popularity. It cheapened the whole meaning of the point of putting a sweater in the rafters.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:57 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Again, standards are set very low if Callahan is up there. Only truly exceptional hockey players ie HHOF caliber should be up there. That's the etiquette and standards for most teams.
Where do you get that idea from? The idea that for a player's number to be retired, he would have to have been elite or HHOF caliber is only an opinion of some fans.

For example, here's just a few players who have had their jerseys numbers retired yet were not considered elite or HHOF caliber:

Barry Ashbee - Flyers
Rod Brind'Amour - Canes
Ken Daneyko - Devils
Clark Gillies - Isles
Bobby Nystrom - Isles
Dale Hunter - Caps
Keith Magnuson - Blackhawks
Teppo Numminen - Coyotes
Terry O'Reilly - Bruins

The idea that a player had to have reached a certain level to have his # retired is strictly SOME fans opinion only and there is not any standard to receive this honor as evidenced throughout the history of the league.

Old
07-17-2012, 06:34 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
The people who hate on '94 because of it being brought up a lot are just as bad as the ones who desperately hang onto it.

Its a part of Rangers history, it SHOULD be remembered.
I've noticed it around here the last few years, the "cool" thing to do is downplay messier and graves, then find older rangers to hold up as being as important to the franchise. It's like hipster fandom

Old
07-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Like has been said already HHOF is for the elite. Retired numbers are for people who may have been elite, or may have been very good but either way did a tremendous amount for the organization or community which is the case with Graves.

I think it's a shame Park is so underrated.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:45 AM
mrhockey193195

I always wished the Rangers had an "NYR HOF" on top of jersey retirements...so that jersey retirements could be left for the absolute greatest in team history (Leetch, Bathgate, Gilbert, etc.) and the Team HOF would be for others who left a considerable impact (Graves, Greschner, Hadfield, Jagr, etc.)

Old
07-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Crease

Brad Park was an excellent excellent hockey player for the Rangers. I just don't think he was around long enough (7 seasons) to justify having his number retired by the organization. A similar situation is the Dodgers with Mike Piazza.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Ratelleitlikeitis

Without a doubt the GAG line was the best line in Ranger history. All three should have had numbers retired together. That moment would have given me tingles.
And now for a story. I grew up in Windsor,Ontario and like most kids we had our neighborhood street hockey league and games. Had teams, kept track of stats, all organized by us as kids...good times. The parking lot across from my house was the "rink". We all wore our jerseys. Mine was a CCM or a Maska , Rangers blue. My buds were Leaf, Habs and Bruin fans. Funny how none of us were Wings fans with Detroit just across the river and all. My buddy,the Bruins fan, was hardcore. He had this small door in his bedroom that he insisted was a secret passageway to "the Baston Gawdens"!
Well the big trade went down and I was crushed. We traded gold for dust ,in my kids mind, not to mention my two favourite players going to the hated Bruins. I couldn't play road hockey for a week, I was so down.
So finally, it was time to get over it and pick up the stick. Melted my superblade to just the right curve over the stove and I was out the door. A couple of kids were at the lot. We exchanged greetings and then down the street I see this black and yellow silhouette approaching. The face had this big grin. "Oh great, let's get this over with", i thought. So my buddy arrives, and immediately spins around. There on the back of his Bruins jersey are the Crested letters "RatPark".
Well, I didn't drop the gloves,I mean he was my buddy...but I had no comeback. How could I put down my former favourites? Needless to say I didn't run out and get that crappy new Rangers jersey with the crest and blue extended arm lines,or put "Vadposito" on the back of mine.
Long story short...put them in the rafters.

Closed Thread