HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier has asked for a trade.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2012, 08:03 PM
  #251
ShattStar03
Registered User
 
ShattStar03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Claremont, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Kings have known about Bernier's situation for 3 years.

Lets not act like this came out of nowhere. It's been rumored he wanted out for awhile since it was clear he wasn't going to be getting a fair shot with the club.

It's not surprising, its not personal, its just business. It's time to move on...
When did I imply that all of this came out of no where? I was simply explaining a point.

Also, when did Bernier not get a fair shot with the club? We all knew his potential and what he brought to the table, the Kings just fell into a rare situation where they had 2 NHL-ready goaltenders. There is nothing "unfair" about the situation at all.

Even though, Bernier is entitled to demand a trade, I think he could've handled the situation differently. Especially, if we all knew that Quick was going to be the permanent #1 goaltender, Bernier knew he was going to be moved regardless, I just don't understand why it has to be shouted in the streets hurting his trade value.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:06 PM
  #252
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
And if Dean feels it's in the best interest of the franchise to NOT trade Bernier right now, Jonathan should understand it's just business.
There a couple of problems with that. By saying he wants out he's already started to check out. It's no different when you realize you want out of a job and start looking around, you check out.

The other problem is, he might become a problem in the room because he wants out. Hopefully Dean gets him out of the organization soon and has another backup coming back if nobody in the farm system is ready to step up.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:41 PM
  #253
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
There a couple of problems with that. By saying he wants out he's already started to check out. It's no different when you realize you want out of a job and start looking around, you check out.

The other problem is, he might become a problem in the room because he wants out. Hopefully Dean gets him out of the organization soon and has another backup coming back if nobody in the farm system is ready to step up.
It's an unfortunate situation, Bernier seems like a great guy who is always smiling.

I disagree that he will tune out. If anything, Bernier will be more focused when he is in. He knows playing better is in his best interest. Better play=more value=quicker trade.

The room is way too tight for Bernier to disrupt things, and I highly doubt he would do something like that. I think there is a great amount of camaraderie and respect in that room, and it's very unlikely any player on that team would cause problems. Strength of character is huge with DL's draft picks and with the players brought in.

For sure his teammates understand the situation he is in and are supportive.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
  #254
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
There a couple of problems with that. By saying he wants out he's already started to check out. It's no different when you realize you want out of a job and start looking around, you check out.

The other problem is, he might become a problem in the room because he wants out. Hopefully Dean gets him out of the organization soon and has another backup coming back if nobody in the farm system is ready to step up.
He has to know that if he "check outs" and stinks up the joint when given the chance to play, he won't get a real good shot to start elsewhere in the future.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:37 PM
  #255
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
There shouldn't be a single person here who is surprised OR offended by JB's asking for a deal/ He has roven that he is ready for his shot at being a number one in the NHL and is aware that he will never get one as a King.

Of course he is going to want to move along to a new team and that is a good characteristic for a young goalie who wants to become a starter in the NHL. After this season he becomes an RFA which while on the Kings only further lengthens his role as a back up or likely so.

DL will do the right thing and get the best deal for JB and I am one of many pundits that believe that he will go on to become a very very good player in the NHL for years to come.

No surprise here, the kid has seen the cup up close and believes that he is ready to lead his own team to getting one. Time will tell if he is right or not but it isn't a big deal.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:47 PM
  #256
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I think that's the point of the trade request. He's not getting another shot to "show his stuff" with the Kings.

Kings have had a few seasons of this situation, they had a bunch of offers and could have done it on their terms. Too much time has passed for JB and now he's weighing in on the situation publicly.
The Kings are still going to trade him on their terms. I suppose Bernier has two choices: 1) he can be upset about it or 2) play his role like a professional until such time as he is traded.

There is no need for him to weigh in publicly. Dean knows the score with Bernier and will deal him when the time is right for the LA Kings. It isn't like the kid is wasting away as Quick's backup. Plenty of teams still recognize his value and when one of them has a need, he will be moved.

He may get another chance to play some games for the Kings. You never know when an injury can happen. If the Kings don't have a capable backup on the roster keeping Bernier isn't a bad option at the start of the season.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:50 PM
  #257
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
And if Dean feels it's in the best interest of the franchise to NOT trade Bernier right now, Jonathan should understand it's just business.
That remains to be seen. Bernier only got what? Maybe a dozen starts last year? If management wants to continue the trend of starting Quick around 70 games, you can expect clubs to be a little weary of trading for potentially good, young goalie that rarely plays.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:58 PM
  #258
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,562
vCash: 500
If Bernier stays in LA, I fully expect him to get significantly more starts next season.

Sutter admitted himself that he should have started Bernier more.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:09 PM
  #259
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
If Bernier stays in LA, I fully expect him to get significantly more starts next season.

Sutter admitted himself that he should have started Bernier more.
You don't get it.

Few more games or not, JB wants to be a starter not a backup.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:09 PM
  #260
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
When did I imply that all of this came out of no where? I was simply explaining a point.
I didn't say you did. Like you, I was simply saying the Kings had to have known since this was a situation that was brewing for 3-4 years now.


Quote:
Also, when did Bernier not get a fair shot with the club? We all knew his potential and what he brought to the table, the Kings just fell into a rare situation where they had 2 NHL-ready goaltenders. There is nothing "unfair" about the situation at all.
This goes back to the first training camp that Bernier was in, he really impressed the heck out of everyone...which in turn earned him a spot on the team at the age of 18. He did well against the _ucks in his first ever NHL game. Of course, we didn't have a great defensive group that year and so Dean sent him back down. There were years where he played better than Quick in camp, but it didn't matter since management already named him the #1 guy. There wasn't a competition for the job under Murray/DL. When that happened, 3-4 years back, Bernie has since wanted to move on to where he's given a fair shot.

Quote:
Even though, Bernier is entitled to demand a trade, I think he could've handled the situation differently. Especially, if we all knew that Quick was going to be the permanent #1 goaltender, Bernier knew he was going to be moved regardless, I just don't understand why it has to be shouted in the streets hurting his trade value.
While I do agree with most of that. The reality is, Bernier's gripe is with playing time. I don't think he'd have a problem playing 30 something games on another team, since we all know its not going to be on this one.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:12 PM
  #261
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
You don't get it.

Few more games or not, JB wants to be a starter not a backup.
He just wants to play on a team that won't park him on the bench for 70 games.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:16 PM
  #262
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
He just wants to play on a team that won't park him on the bench for 70 games.
Do you really think that JB will be happy playing behind JQ for the next 10 years even if he was given more playing time?

The kid's good enough and deserves to be a starter for an nhl team. Just not for the kings unfortunately.

The way I see it, Bernier's situation is pretty much like Schenn's situation before he got traded.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
  #263
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The Kings are still going to trade him on their terms. I suppose Bernier has two choices: 1) he can be upset about it or 2) play his role like a professional until such time as he is traded.
Like anybody else that knows their potential is being wasted, they will be upset. I don't find it unprofessional to say you want out, in fact I would think his teammates would understand.

Quote:
There is no need for him to weigh in publicly. Dean knows the score with Bernier and will deal him when the time is right for the LA Kings. It isn't like the kid is wasting away as Quick's backup. Plenty of teams still recognize his value and when one of them has a need, he will be moved.
Going public with it, is not a big deal. Most of the NHL community already knows whats up. They've known about it for 3-4 years, teams have inquired about Bernier for 3-4 years. It's nothing new, the only thing new is that the player confirmed what everyone already knew.

Secondly, I would disagree with the bolded. Playing so little games, actually hurts his value and it is probably why teams aren't meeting Dean's price.

Quote:
He may get another chance to play some games for the Kings. You never know when an injury can happen. If the Kings don't have a capable backup on the roster keeping Bernier isn't a bad option at the start of the season.
Maybe, or maybe he will start less than a dozen games...further diminishing his value. Who knows, all that is known is that Bernier doesn't want to stick around to find out.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:30 PM
  #264
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,705
vCash: 500
We need to play JB more for the Kings' sake, not his...although we can tell him if he plays well it will increase the number of suitors and thus greatly increase his chance of getting traded. We want to play him just so we get enough for him in trade.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:31 PM
  #265
DryIslandBartender
KCCO
 
DryIslandBartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Do you really think that JB will be happy playing behind JQ for the next 10 years even if he was given more playing time?
No, and nor did I imply that he would be.

At this point, playing on a team that would give him 30 plus starts would be ideal for him...and maybe being the full time starter next year. That's an ideal situation for him right now, like the Devils or thereabouts.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:53 PM
  #266
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
You don't get it.

Few more games or not, JB wants to be a starter not a backup.
No, you don't get it.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:58 PM
  #267
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,388
vCash: 500
Kings are in a tough spot where they really can't get value for JB right now, and the other teams know it.

The way Quick plays, he is bound to get injured sooner or later. I expect a hamstring pull with that crab-like modified butterfly of his.

I say let's at least wait until the trade deadline when some bubble team may be really desperate for a promising goalie to get over the hump. Get more bang for the buck by waiting.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:14 AM
  #268
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Kings are in a tough spot where they really can't get value for JB right now, and the other teams know it.

The way Quick plays, he is bound to get injured sooner or later. I expect a hamstring pull with that crab-like modified butterfly of his.

I say let's at least wait until the trade deadline when some bubble team may be really desperate for a promising goalie to get over the hump. Get more bang for the buck by waiting.
I'm worried about that too but I don't want to talk about it. But I'm pro getting Steve Mason from Columbus. Behind our defense (defense corps and backchecking forwards) and with our goalie coach, Ranford along with no a total no pressure situation behind Quick, he may blossom.

The only problem is his fitting in his cap hit. And I consider him having negative value currently do in any deal where we swap him for Bernier, we'll need more for getting Mason back.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
  #269
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,882
vCash: 500
I just hope this doesn't play out like Bryz in Anaheim. They promised him that they would move him after declaring Hiller as their number one. They could not find any takers so put him on waivers where the yotes got him.
Also we were very close to getting Bryz. At the time we were last in the league however won the night he was put on waivers, putting LA above the Coyotes in the standings and giving them first dibs. I was pissed at the time, but not anymore.

I don't think Bernier is saying he deserves a starting job next season, I just think he wants to go somewhere where he has that chance in the next two or three years, not 10. I still would like him to go to New Jersey and mentor under Brodeur, but seeing as they re-signed Hedberg it is doubtful.

On a side note bleach reporter has a listing of the best players not playing in the NHL, and Ersberg is on hte list. Made me chuckle.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
  #270
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,325
vCash: 500
Johnny B will get traded,

I just hope Johnny B understands that, he has to earn the starting spot at his next job too.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:32 PM
  #271
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Johnny B will get traded,

I just hope Johnny B understands that, he has to earn the starting spot at his next job too.
I'm sure he does.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:43 PM
  #272
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Johnny B will get traded,

I just hope Johnny B understands that, he has to earn the starting spot at his next job too.
Of course he does!

I don't know why it's so hard for some of you guys to understand that JB just wants a chance to compete for a starting position. He isn't getting that opportunity here in LA.

It's just that simple!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:21 PM
  #273
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Andi Petrillo ‏@andipHNIC
Hearing the Leafs have put in an offer to G Jonathan Bernier.
She works as a reporter on HNIC, that gives her more credibility than most.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:39 PM
  #274
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
She works as a reporter on HNIC, that gives her more credibility than most.
I would say she is solid.

Leafs fan here, came to Kings board after hearing this as well. Some "unreliable" sources are saying a 2nd and a roster player, how would you guys feel about
that?

Given the goaltending situation on the leafs, I would give it a shot from their perspective.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
  #275
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France
 
savemefromtears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: City of Angels
Country: United States
Posts: 1,974
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Ron;52582379]I expect a hamstring pull with that crab-like modified butterfly of his./QUOTE]

Boy, does that sound dirty.


savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.