HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

If you're black (or any other visible minority for that matter) how has hockey.....

Old
07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

vCash: 500
I'm white, in my league this year we had two indian guys on our team, was never anything directed at them...there was one team in our league which I think was entirely sikh though, I heard a couple racist comments directed towards them from our team and others, nothing too severe though...

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:15 PM
SgtJoseph

I have found in my 54 years of life that Blacks for whatever reason are more negative and make snide remarks toward other blacks who play Hockey etc....We had a few outstanding black fighter pilots in our unit while i was stationed over in Korea, and some of the things other blacks would say about them was really quite insulting and stupid.....I have heard silly nonsense like....." they are given in to whitey" etc, etc....Personally i always admired folks who have climbed their way out of adversity etc....I am certain that some black kids that play Hockey, or other minorities hear the same type nonsense from others of their race.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
I've only played with females being in a small town. They get the usual "Hey girl, wanna come to our locker room after the game ?"

I've played against Indians and never heard anything towards them.

I did hear a white guy say to another white guy that he should stick to golf.... I don't even know what that means.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:55 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

I did hear a white guy say to another white guy that he should stick to golf.... I don't even know what that means.
???

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Frankie Spankie

I've only played with an Asian guy in one league where I only played a season and everybody seemed to get along with him. I have a feeling racism is only an issue when it comes to younger players though. I know a lot of younger hockey players are huge dicks, especially high school kids, and will say a lot of stupid ****.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:37 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I'm Indonesian-Chinese-Dutch, I've had my share of racist moments during my u16 years in Sweden, but nothing to severe.. we were just kids back then.

Ironically, I get the most severe racist moments in my own country, Indonesia. Even up until now, racism in my country is still pretty common.
Back in 2002 I was involved in a parking lot brawl with some spectators, and the funny part is they're not even hockey fans. They were just there to see what's going on (it was an outdoor inline tournament)

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Mossberg 50120

vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I know a lot of younger hockey players are huge dicks, especially high school kids, and will say a lot of stupid ****.
I don't think the phenomenon is exclusive to just hockey players when it comes to that age group.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Only thing I've heard was a sub on my team calling a guy on the other team a ********t (they were a gay and lesbian team). He was not invited back. We have gay women on our team and don't tolerate that crap. I'm white though so all I can say is what I've heard about, and that's pretty much nothing. We're adults though, I think high school kids would be 100 times worse.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Devil Dancer

It's funny how much the culture varies from team to team. One of my teams is pretty progressive, with players of various races and a couple of lesbian players. That team is, not surprisingly, pretty respectful of others and thankfully hasn't been subject to any crass comments that I'm aware of.

Another team I play on is all white males, and they can get dickish. Not with racist stuff, but they have definitely been known to call people **** (derogatory term for homosexual) and to proposition females on other teams.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

I'm Korean, and I've never had any comments thrown my way about being Asian. But I've had people give me crap about scoring goals against them or being a pesky forechecker I have been hit on occasion (twice were cheapshots) because I can be annoying as I play with a lot of speed and as I'm small, I'm an easy target for a cheapshot. But I always let my hockey do the talking, I don't chirp or cheapshot at all. I think a lot of guys are caught off guard by the fact that I'm actually pretty fast and skilled for our level and am always 1-2 in scoring on my team.

The league I play in seems to be pretty respectful overall, although you get the occasional hot head who is a total schmuck. But everyone I play with is a professional--no teenagers in my league from what I can tell.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:00 AM
CoopALoop

I'm white and play for 3 teams.

2 of those teams, I'm the only white guy and I'm the goalie.

The third team is mainly white with 2 indians, 1 asian and a black guy on it.

I've yet to hear anything racial, or hear about anyone on my team mention anything of the sort.

I think that type of stuff gets phased out as people get older. It seems like it's a young teenager sort of mentality. The older guys don't generally put up with that stuff.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
CrosKinnon

When I was playing AAA at a tournament in PEI we were killing the host team 6 or 7-0 late in the second period and a guy on their team called our only black player the n word and the goalie started making monkey noises at him. We had to grab him and hold him back from ripping the heads off the idiots. Next shift he caught buddy with his head down and knocked him out of the game with a huge hit. Someone else on the team ran the goalie the next period. Somehow none of the refs overheard the comment or noises. Our coaches were furious about it.

CrosKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:23 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosKinnon View Post
When I was playing AAA at a tournament in PEI we were killing the host team 6 or 7-0 late in the second period and a guy on their team called our only black player the n word and the goalie started making monkey noises at him. We had to grab him and hold him back from ripping the heads off the idiots. Next shift he caught buddy with his head down and knocked him out of the game with a huge hit. Someone else on the team ran the goalie the next period. Somehow none of the refs overheard the comment or noises. Our coaches were furious about it.
This is an example of why, even though I'm not totally sure, but wonder, often, if white basketball players (at least in North America) have an easier time than Black Hockey players.

Old
07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Danglous

Quote:
So racist!

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:48 PM
IComeInPeace

I'm Indian (parents are from India)...
I played hockey for most of my life from the age of about 4 up to 18 yrs of age (in Vancouver).
I only recall a couple instances where I heard racial slurs during a game.
2 games in 14 or 15 years isn't so bad. If it wasn't my race, they would have found something else to say that was meant to be equally offensive.

When I was 12 years old my father put me in a 2 week summer hockey school, where the kids were up to 2 or 3 years older than me. Usually they keep the ages closer together.
Anyways, in this case there were a couple of guys who kind of ran the dressing room, and made me the target of racist jokes for pretty much the entire 2 week period. I didn't tell anyone, but on one of the last days of the school my father went in the dressing room to grab an extra hockey stick I left behind, and the friggers had the nerve to make a racist remark to my father.

I was only 12 at the time, and the camp was essentially over, so I kind of let it go. Even at that time, if it had come down to a one on one fight, even 3 years younger than him, I would probably have given this older kid a good run for his money, but for whatever reason I didn't do anything.

That's really the only time in my life I've ever been exposed to overt racism. To this day, it still makes my blood boil. I went so far as to look up his name and where he lived, years later, to make him answer for his behavior. I didn't follow through with it, but I'm embarrassed to say, even now, at over 40 years of age, if I ever ran into him, I'd confront him about it.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be exposed to that crap all of the time.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Placebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I think I've been lucky, never had anything directed at me, not that I remember at least.

The Greater Toronto Area and places like Ottawa, Montreal or Vancouver are better for multicultural players I believe (haven't played in any of those places save for the GTA) but with more visible minorities in those places, people are obviously more tolerant.
this

Placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
Anyways, in this case there were a couple of guys who kind of ran the dressing room, and made me the target of racist jokes for pretty much the entire 2 week period. I didn't tell anyone, but on one of the last days of the school my father went in the dressing room to grab an extra hockey stick I left behind, and the friggers had the nerve to make a racist remark to my father.
I was only 12 at the time, and the camp was essentially over, so I kind of let it go. Even at that time, if it had come down to a one on one fight, even 3 years younger than him, I would probably have given this older kid a good run for his money, but for whatever reason I didn't do anything.
That's really the only time in my life I've ever been exposed to overt racism. To this day, it still makes my blood boil. I went so far as to look up his name and where he lived, years later, to make him answer for his behavior. I didn't follow through with it, but I'm embarrassed to say, even now, at over 40 years of age, if I ever ran into him, I'd confront him about it.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be exposed to that crap all of the time.
It takes a lot of courage for an older group of a-holes to single out one younger kid and verbally abuse him. . I'm pissed just from reading that. Too bad you're father didn't kick their ***** in.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:28 AM
mattihp

vCash: 256
Quote:
Happy Gilmour reference?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:42 PM
bigduga

Quote:
Probably that those two white dudes from a small town know each other and have golfed together...

...occam's razor and all that.

bigduga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
I don't think the phenomenon is exclusive to just hockey players when it comes to that age group.
True, but it does seem like the "hockey kids" are extremely ignorant and full of themselves, which often leads to them doing whatever negative thing they think is "cool" and will make their fellow hockey friends laugh. Actually, having said that, I guess that's true for all teenagers/young adults. It just seems like the "hockey kids" have their own tinge or style when it comes to the negativity.

Idk, having worked in a Pro-shop for 8 years might have just skewed my perception of them... you know, having to sharpen their skates at their every beck and call...

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Danglous

I hate hockey kids

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:47 AM
rh71

Chinese here and have been playing 15 years with only 1 incident where some really young kid in his early teens with a platinum chain around his neck called me something I can't even remember anymore. But this was after he took a penalty against me and I tapped him in the shin guards with the stick and said something sarcastic like "nice play" - nobody liked that and we got together. He said something while we were both in the box. And I'm NEVER in the box.

A few other times I'm surprised they don't say anything... I'd be sitting on their stick on purpose to delay them from getting back into the play... the guy even called me sir for some reason.

I guess being in NY helps with the mix of races everywhere you go so seeing a minority at the rink isn't entirely unexpected. I have only seen maybe 10 other asian hockey players though. Even fewer blacks or indians (yes I know they're technically asian).

Last edited by rh71: 07-23-2012 at 11:53 AM.
rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:10 PM
beenhereandthere

Interesting, but of all the places I've been/lived, in the US anyway, I've seen more black players in Seattle, than any place else, I've lived, that even includes Metro Detroit.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Rem
go flames go bolts

Im in San Jose, and the team I captain is about half non white (Asian/Filipino, Mexican). There's a lot of ish talking that goes on but its all in good fun. In fact, our locker room is full of racial humor. I know people may say thats insensitive, but we all get a good laugh out of it. I don't know if it has to do with my location, but a lot of people out here in California (More specifically in the metro areas) are so non-racist that its become comical more than anything. Sounds backwards to a lot of people, I know, but its the truth. I guess thats what happens when you grow up in a society thats as mixed as it is here.

Sidenote to the OP - lose the commas

Random fact - In San Jose area, Asian hockey players are probably the 2nd most popular "race".

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
As a Black Canadian I get the occasional "you should be playing basketball/football" comment but other than that there really is nothing.
Same here, I got alot of that when I played as a kid and some of my black friends would make fun of me and call me a "sellout playing a white man's game", ironically they all like hockey now. I got called the N word once by a parent, but I reported it to the ref and the parent was tossed out of the building. Overall my experiences with hockey were positive.

Claimed Off Waivers is online now   Reply With Quote