HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Aliu vs Wotherspoon

View Poll Results: Who is the better prospect?
Akim Aliu 20 55.56%
Tyler Wotherspoon 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Aliu vs Wotherspoon

Another tie-breaker. Who's better?

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:56 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
The fact that this is the third time we've done this speaks volumes about how improved our pool is. Having said that, Wotherspoon.

Last edited by InfinityIggy: 07-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.
InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:16 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Aliu, Wottherspoon reminds me alot of Pardy I think Aliu being a physical 4th liner would be better plus he is closer.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:28 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Wotherspoon. Aliu is on his last chance to make the NHL and he's already caught up in a numbers game. A lot of one way contracts ahead of him and some better prospects looking to get promoted. He and Byron are caught between a rock and a hard place. I think both of them will not get more than a cup of coffee this season and will be cut loose come summer. Wotherspoon has the advantage of time and lack of defensive depth on his side.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Wotherspoon. Aliu is on his last chance to make the NHL and he's already caught up in a numbers game. A lot of one way contracts ahead of him and some better prospects looking to get promoted. He and Byron are caught between a rock and a hard place. I think both of them will not get more than a cup of coffee this season and will be cut loose come summer. Wotherspoon has the advantage of time and lack of defensive depth on his side.
How does having less competition make Wotherspoon any better of a player?

Old
07-13-2012, 09:55 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Wotherspoon. Alui was considered a bust and only 2 games of NHL experience should change that just yet

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:57 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Aliu might have played average in all those leagues before, but he played like a champ where it counted.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:03 PM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
Wotherspoon

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:19 PM
MarkGio

Aliu has five hundred and ninety thousand reasons to make the Flames team coming training camp. That might be chump change to a guy like Iginla, but that might be the last pay day Aliu ever sees like that. I'm betting he makes the team.

Old
07-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Flamefan1

Went with Aliu.

Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:04 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Went with Aliu.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:09 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
How does having less competition make Wotherspoon any better of a player?
It matters quite a bit. A guy that has talent but caught behind a glut of NHL talent may never get a chance to take the next logical step in his development progression. This can cause a player to stall out and he never attains the level expected. He essentially turns into a AHL player because that is the highest challenge he has been exposed to on a consistent basis.

With Aliu he is stuck behind a number of seasoned veterans on one way contracts. He is also stuck behind several players in the AHL the Flames feel can be NHL players. The depth chart comes into play and Aliu is well down that chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Aliu might have played average in all those leagues before, but he played like a champ where it counted.
When it counted? When was that exactly? Are you talking about the two games he played at the end of the season, when the Flames played nothing games because they were eliminated and the teams they were playing had nothing to play for? Those games counted for nothing, except for the fans who get enthralled with box scores.

There's the thing with Aliu. There are quite a few fans who looked at the box scores and saw he had three points in his two games, two of which were goals, and think this kid did something while he was up in the show. What the box score monkeys failed to recognize is Aliu's goals were both flukes. His first was an attempted pass that was behind his target but hit a defenseman's skate and just found the far corner of the net. His other goal he is stil unaware of. The puck hit him in the ass and went in the net. Neither were good goals or showed anything that indicated anything but having some good fortune go his way. Other than that he really did nothing that Tim Jackman or any minor leaguer with some size could provide.

I think people are forgetting that Aliu's call up was a reward from Ward for all the improvement Aliu had shown in Abbottsford. Aliu had become a better person and Ward rewarded him for that dedication by giving him a taste. These people also forget that Aliu was benched during the AHL playoffs and some of the new guys drew in.Those were games that mattered and Aliu was not in them. That should speak volumes on Aliu. There is more to observe that the scoresheets when watching prospects. Aliu is still on the very end of his rope and has to hold on for dear life if has any dreams of playing in the NHL. The deck is stacked against him.

Old
07-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Very, very close to call. But I'm gonna go with Wotherspoon. I think his potential ceiling as an NHL'er may be 'slightly' higher.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:51 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
It matters quite a bit. A guy that has talent but caught behind a glut of NHL talent may never get a chance to take the next logical step in his development progression. This can cause a player to stall out and he never attains the level expected. He essentially turns into a AHL player because that is the highest challenge he has been exposed to on a consistent basis.

With Aliu he is stuck behind a number of seasoned veterans on one way contracts. He is also stuck behind several players in the AHL the Flames feel can be NHL players. The depth chart comes into play and Aliu is well down that chart.
Not what I was saying. Right now Aliu is a better player and just because there is a lack of competition doesn't make Wotherspoon better right now. Wotherspoon is a bottom pairing guy and Aliu is a 4th/3rd (at best). I went with Aliu because he is much closer to making the nhl because value wise they are the same.

Old
07-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Bear61

Went with Aliu...

One thing he brings that the Flames need is grit...

I also believe he will show he has too much motivation to be denied a chance...

Don't forget, he took it upon himself to approach Feaster, and then Feaster made the trade for him...

Bear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

When it counted? When was that exactly? Are you talking about the two games he played at the end of the season, when the Flames played nothing games because they were eliminated and the teams they were playing had nothing to play for? Those games counted for nothing, except for the fans who get enthralled with box scores.

There's the thing with Aliu. There are quite a few fans who looked at the box scores and saw he had three points in his two games, two of which were goals, and think this kid did something while he was up in the show. What the box score monkeys failed to recognize is Aliu's goals were both flukes. His first was an attempted pass that was behind his target but hit a defenseman's skate and just found the far corner of the net. His other goal he is stil unaware of. The puck hit him in the ass and went in the net. Neither were good goals or showed anything that indicated anything but having some good fortune go his way. Other than that he really did nothing that Tim Jackman or any minor leaguer with some size could provide.

I think people are forgetting that Aliu's call up was a reward from Ward for all the improvement Aliu had shown in Abbottsford. Aliu had become a better person and Ward rewarded him for that dedication by giving him a taste. These people also forget that Aliu was benched during the AHL playoffs and some of the new guys drew in.Those were games that mattered and Aliu was not in them. That should speak volumes on Aliu. There is more to observe that the scoresheets when watching prospects. Aliu is still on the very end of his rope and has to hold on for dear life if has any dreams of playing in the NHL. The deck is stacked against him.
Quit your hating, you lose. 15 people thought he's a better prospect because they seen what I seen, and that's a good player. People haven't forgot ****, they just disagree with you. It happens so ****ing much I'm surprised you're still wasting your time.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:19 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Quit your hating, you lose. 15 people thought he's a better prospect because they seen what I seen, and that's a good player. People haven't forgot ****, they just disagree with you. It happens so ****ing much I'm surprised you're still wasting your time.
What's the over-under on the number of games he plays for the Flames this year?

Old
07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Bear61

Quote:
What's the over-under on the number of games he plays for the Flames this year?
He did just fine in the couple of games he played last season...

So hopefully he gets a shot and then rises to the occasion...

He has the heart , desire and grit the Flames could use on the team....

Aliu is at a point in his career, that he has to make it known he deserves a spot on the roster, and given a chance, I think he will do just that...

Bear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:48 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear61 View Post
He did just fine in the couple of games he played last season...

So hopefully he gets a shot and then rises to the occasion...

He has the heart , desire and grit the Flames could use on the team....

Aliu is at a point in his career, that he has to make it known he deserves a spot on the roster, and given a chance, I think he will do just that...
I really hope he makes this team as our go-to pest. We really need a guy like him in the bottom six.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I really hope he makes this team as our go-to pest. We really need a guy like him in the bottom six.
Agreed. Would like to see him some how "take over" Jackman's role in a year.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
aliu, he has nhl experience but if your talking about potential i say wotherspoon... i see him as a Martin clone before he was in Pittsburgh

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Agreed. Would like to see him some how "take over" Jackman's role in a year.
i have a feeling that feaster is WAYYY to high on jackman.. be awesome if he could produce like he did in his first season though

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote