HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expectations

Old
07-17-2012, 04:17 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

vCash: 500
I will try to be optimistic....

Bryzgalov will step up and perform like a good goalie in this league. I expect him to play near 70 Games. Because the flyers saw, that he must play a lot to perform his best. And also Leights will be a real backup with just 10 Games.

Bryzgalov: 40-20-10 7 SO SV% 92.0 not elite but really good.

Grossman will take the next step and will be an elite stay at home defenseman in the league. 80G 2G 25A +15.
Schenn will fight back! 80G 8G 30A +5 65PIM. He will be a good 2nd pairing dman.
Mesz will return to form. 80G 10G 25A with more PP time. And a +15
Coburn will play a good as last season: 80g 5G 25A and +12
Gustafsson will be our surprise this season: 55G 3G 20A +20

With this goalie performance and the good top4 D we will play a very good season. although we will not play the best offensive game. Couturier will be a nominee for the best defensive forward in the league. Fedotenko will play a better role anyone expect from him, like Talbot last year.

I think we will be better than the pens, Rangers, NJ

NJ lost a lot of power without Parise and Kovalchuk isnīt a leader. Marty is only 1 year older ^^
Pens change Staal for Sutter. They lost a lot of leadership and defensive abilities up front. They are bad at the wings and the health of crosby i a bit questionmark!
Rangers are the same good team like last year. It will be very close with them. But i think we will win the division....

I donīt see a problem for the regular season, but in the playoffs we maybe lack a real NR1 defender and a real second star winger! I donīt know if Read, Voracek, Simmonds, Hartnell are enough for the playoffs. I really would like to sign Ryan.......

just my two cents

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:47 AM
djlethal08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post

Bryzgalov will step up and perform like a good goalie in this league. I expect him to play near 70 Games. Because the flyers saw, that he must play a lot to perform his best. And also Leights will be a real backup with just 10 Games.

Grossman will take the next step and will be an elite stay at home defenseman in the league. 80G 2G 25A +15.
Schenn will fight back! 80G 8G 30A +5 65PIM. He will be a good 2nd pairing dman.

With this goalie performance and the good top4 D we will play a very good season. although we will not play the best offensive game. Couturier will be a nominee for the best defensive forward in the league. Fedotenko will play a better role anyone expect from him, like Talbot last year.

NJ lost a lot of power without Parise and Kovalchuk isnīt a leader. Marty is only 1 year older ^^
Pens change Staal for Sutter. They lost a lot of leadership and defensive abilities up front. They are bad at the wings and the health of crosby i a bit questionmark!
Rangers are the same good team like last year. It will be very close with them. But i think we will win the division....

I donīt see a problem for the regular season, but in the playoffs we maybe lack a real NR1 defender and a real second star winger! I donīt know if Read, Voracek, Simmonds, Hartnell are enough for the playoffs. I really would like to sign Ryan.......

just my two cents
That would be amazing! Not just from a Flyers standpoint, but I'd love to see the reaction of all the Toronto fans that wanted to run Schenn out of town. Though truthfully asking for 8G and 38P is probably a bit much considering Schenn's career highs are 5G and 22P. But I've always said he's got an underrated offensive game so maybe he surprises.

djlethal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlethal08 View Post
That would be amazing! Not just from a Flyers standpoint, but I'd love to see the reaction of all the Toronto fans that wanted to run Schenn out of town. Though truthfully asking for 8G and 38P is probably a bit much considering Schenn's career highs are 5G and 22P. But I've always said he's got an underrated offensive game so maybe he surprises.
I know his career bests. But he played for a chronical bad team. Toronto donīt score a lot. Toronto isnīt as good as the flyers offensively... Every Player who joins the Flyers upped his Production, because with Lavy we are a offensive powerhouse in this league. So it would surprise me if Schenn donīt up his production. He will be solid or more than that! Book it!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:36 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I guess it's easier to just thrown crap at a wall and see what sticks.
Why not? It works for Holmgren.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Schenn10

I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that Jagr got a ton of ice time during the regular season last year and now someof the young guys will have the opportunity to get much more TOI. I see Voracek getting 60-70 points, and schenn and couturier having great years.

As some have said before our success this year ultimately depends on Bryz. I think we play much more defensively responsible this year and shore up our own end. Though lacking a #1 we have a very good D corps.

We are still one of the best teams in the East and are a Stanley Cup contender.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I know his career bests. But he played for a chronical bad team. Toronto donīt score a lot. Toronto isnīt as good as the flyers offensively... Every Player who joins the Flyers upped his Production, because with Lavy we are a offensive powerhouse in this league. So it would surprise me if Schenn donīt up his production. He will be solid or more than that! Book it!
Eh, I wouldn't be surprised to see Schenn's numbers go down slightly actually. He's definitely not going to see powerplay time and he's not a quarterback type player. His shot is mediocre at best.

I expect similar numbers to his career line principally due to the situations we'll use him in (Lots of PK, some ES, no PP).

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

just my two cents
Those numbers possibly could have earned him a Vezina nominee this season (top three in W, top ten in SV% (higher if you take out guys who played under 40 games), and 5th in SO). I don't think anyone would make one peep about Bryz (or any goalie) if he got those stats. Actually people probably still would complain.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:26 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

7 shutouts? I'm hopeful that Bryz plays to his capabilities, but that's pie in the sky numbers. The only goalies who had more this past year:

Quick
Elliott
Lundqvist
Smith

What do they all have in common? Strong defense, very good defensive forwards, and a total team committment to defense.

What do the Flyers lack? All of the above.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:30 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
7 shutouts? I'm hopeful that Bryz plays to his capabilities, but that's pie in the sky numbers. The only goalies who had more this past year:

Quick
Elliott
Lundqvist
Smith

What do they all have in common? Strong defense, very good defensive forwards, and a total team committment to defense.

Totally agree. But hopeful for improved strategies.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Those numbers possibly could have earned him a Vezina nominee this season (top three in W, top ten in SV% (higher if you take out guys who played under 40 games), and 5th in SO). I don't think anyone would make one peep about Bryz (or any goalie) if he got those stats. Actually people probably still would complain.
of course if Bryz struggles and continues to give up bad goals that costs the Flyers wins the same folks as usual will continue to blame everyone else

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-17-2012 at 12:49 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:47 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
of course if Bryz struggles and continues to give up bad goals that costs the Flyers wins the same folks will continue to blame everyone else
Oh right, every goal is 100% on Bryz and every save is 100% on the defense. Michael Leighton disease spreads so fast around here!

Old
07-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Quick
Elliott
Lundqvist
Smith

uhhh he had 6 this year playing horrifically for the first 40 games of the season......

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Oh right, every goal is 100% on Bryz and every save is 100% on the defense. Michael Leighton disease spreads so fast around here!
It's not so much to expect Bryz to make routine saves from October-February this year.

07-17-2012, 12:50 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
no zero percent is on the goaltending. how many folks were defending every bad goal allowed by Bryzgalov. i know its not all his fault. But he wasnt good enough overall last season.

Michael Leighton disease? what?

Old
07-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:

Ah, so there must be a virus that causes people to believe Leighton isn't a bad NHL goalie, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
no zero percent is on the goaltending. how many folks were defending every bad goal allowed by Bryzgalov. i know its not all his fault. But he wasnt good enough overall last season.
Couldn't agree with more with the last part. He wasn't good enough. But like all things around here, every goal is overreacted to. I don't know what it is like on other boards because I don't really read them, but here it seems that no goalie has ever let in a goal that was not his fault and those who suggest defense or screens or deflections or anything are simply drinking the kool-aid and have on the Homer blinders. He sucked last year, for the most part, but he was also very unlucky and the victim of very poor defense.

Quote:
Yeah, it's this disease that infects goalies where nothing they can do is adequate. Wins are products of defense. Losses are products of poor goalie play.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Couldn't agree with more with the last part. He wasn't good enough. But like all things around here, every goal is overreacted to. I don't know what it is like on other boards because I don't really read them, but here it seems that no goalie has ever let in a goal that was not his fault and those who suggest defense or screens or deflections or anything are simply drinking the kool-aid and have on the Homer blinders. He sucked last year, for the most part, but he was also very unlucky and the victim of very poor defense.
My position as well. Bryz was awful until January, then great bordering spectacular from January through the close of the regular season. Poor against Pittsburgh... about average or maybe slightly above average against New Jersey.

Bryz let in a high percentage of "bad goals" no doubt, but not ever goal allowed is a bad goal... in fact, the vast majority, are reasonable efforts on difficult plays. Some he could stop and didn't, others he did stop that were skill, luck or something else.

I Bryz plays the whole season like the second half, he sets records and walks away with the Vezina. If his first half is average and his second half wasn't quite as spectacular, he's still a top 7-12 goalie as mosh should have expected him to be.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

Yeah, it's this disease that infects goalies where nothing they can do is adequate. Wins are products of defense. Losses are products of poor goalie play.
there is overreaction on both ends of the spectrum no matter who is goal. It doesnt matter if its Boucher,Leighton,Bryzgalov or whoever. you have people who overreact to every goal allowed and you have the people who go out of their way to defend the goalie and say its not their fault even if a goal is allowed from center ice.
I dont blame people for reacting to the 2nd part. how many games did the Flyers lose last year when the team scored 4 goals. Probably fair to say it was as much or close to the rest of the league combined. or at least it seemed like it.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:49 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
there is overreaction on both ends of the spectrum no matter who is goal. It doesnt matter if its Boucher,Leighton,Bryzgalov or whoever. you have people who overreact to every goal allowed and you have the people who go out of their way to defend the goalie and say its not their fault even if a goal is allowed from center ice.
I dont blame people for reacting to the 2nd part. how many games did the Flyers lose last year when the team scored 4 goals. Probably fair to say it was as much or close to the rest of the league combined. or at least it seemed like it.
Six, two of which Bob was the goalie of record. I don't have time to look around and see the other teams, but that number doesn't seem too shocking to me (I think two were in shootouts and one was that ridiculous 9-8 game vs. WPG). It probably seemed like a lot more because of the overreactions around here. Haha.

Also I agree there are overreactions on both sides, but it certainly seems like there are lot more overreactions to goals that Patrick Roy wouldn't have had a chance on, than overreactive defenses to goals that were his fault.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Syracuse Bulldogs

I think that the Flyers will be on par or better than last year. For these reasons.

1. New year, healthy players and team cohesion.
Rookies will experience a fair amount of growth and Grossmann and Meszaros will be healthy.

2. Bryz can't be as bad as last year.
You can always say that the defense was bad as well but Bryz let in some (Robert Esche) weak goals.

3. Luke Schenn is a better defensive defencemen and that is what we really need. He is a game changing defenseman because of his hitting ability. He was top 5 the last few years in hits.

4. I'm a total "Philly fan" pessimist and even I think that they will surprise some people this year.

Syracuse Bulldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:56 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:

Leighton is still a terrible goalie

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Leighton is still a terrible goalie
That's fine. But if he records a shutout this year, I can guarantee you that 90% of the board will find some reason to act like he had nothing to do with it. Similarly, if the team loses, regardless of the score and the circumstances of the goal(s), Leighton will get killed for his play. This is the same board that blamed Bryz for 0-0 shootout loss and that Leighton's THREE shutouts in the ECF are no big deal!

Old
07-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Flyerfan808

Bryzgalov needs to be more consistent. He needs to remain focused and stay away from the media. He is absolutely CRUCIAL to the success of the team this season.

This is a pivotal year for Brayden Schenn. He will need carry over his playoff success. I want 75 games and 50+ points.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:15 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
That's fine. But if he records a shutout this year, I can guarantee you that 90% of the board will find some reason to act like he had nothing to do with it. Similarly, if the team loses, regardless of the score and the circumstances of the goal(s), Leighton will get killed for his play. This is the same board that blamed Bryz for 0-0 shootout loss and that Leighton's THREE shutouts in the ECF are no big deal!
getting a shutout doesnt change the fact that Leighton is still a terrible goalie

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
This is a bold statement, Dr. Freud.

He is SC (i know, as a bakup) and WC winner, who played at the highest levels of competitions.

But talking about attitude, should you, perhaps, be more positive before the season start; and, may be (just may be), let the guy who has a history of playng well prove himself before you label him as a total failure.
I have been very critical of him and will be if needs be, but for right now he is # 1 goalie on my favorite team. He deserves a clean slate to start the season. And, by the way, he was not the reason that NJ eliminated Flyers in 5 games- you should put this criticism where it belongs.
Cosigned, all of it.

Bryz kept the Flyers in games for a few periods they deserved to be out of in the NJ series. He is clearly an odd duck, but he also candidly mentions his obligation to perform up to the contract he asked for, and doesn't enjoy struggling. He struggled last year and it bothered him and he has no filter...he tells you what's on his mind. So what if his mind is a little different.

People talk about his lack of confidence or fragility. Every goalie, every one, has the same thoughts he vocalized last year. They're just smart enough to lie about it and put on a good front. Bryzgalov needs a better poker face, but I don't think his confidence is any more fragile than the next goalies, except for some of the super arrogant guys who's confidence is not derived from reality.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote