Ondrej Pavelec DUI

Old
07-16-2012, 09:31 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
I didn't know that the size of a salary indicated how seriously you need to obey the law.

I haven't driven impaired for a long long time but I always feel that rural people have different opinions of DUI than urban people, especially people that came of age in the 80's or earlier. It is hard to pass judgement on something that nearly everyone did a couple/three decades ago in rural Manitoba. I don't think I had a single friend in that era who hadn't driven at least once where they would blow 0.2 (that is way way to high to drive safely tbh).
I still believe that when I am eating a fast food meal while driving I am far more of a hazard to other people than if I was driving impaired. People still do that though, myself included. I guess that is why eating/drinking while driving has been banned in some countries for decades. Would people from those Countries have the same level of dislike of you driving down Portage with a Timmy's coffee in your hand? How dare you but others at risk.

That is why a lot of older people don't have the same distaste as younger people and these topics always end up messy. Not defending it, just explaining the difference of opinion and I think a lot of glasshouse stones are being thrown in this thread.

That said, he should have been smart enough to hire a taxi or have someone else drive him home. In this era you can't drive impaired.
I worked in a country without impaired driving laws for a lot of years. When we went out we hired taxis, not because the law made us but because we didn't want to be responsible for hurting anyone.
We weren't any safer though since the taxi drivers drank more heavily than us.
I grew up in Saskatchewan in the 70s before the term designated driver was invented. I follow the law in this area "now" And have for a while. it is one of the many ways I am striving to improve my life by trying to do the right thing. That being said since i am still at best a work in progress for now I will follow a rule I try to live by although I fall short on far too often.

"let him who is without sin cast the first stone"

Last edited by ps241: 07-16-2012 at 09:36 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:40 PM
angrymnky

vCash: 500
Quote:
I haven't driven impaired for a long long time but I always feel that rural people have different opinions of DUI than urban people, especially people that came of age in the 80's or earlier.
Ahh nostalgia. It's much more fun to recall when you were the drunk one and for example not the freaked out little kid in the backseat of a car driven by a drunken fool whose wife is trying to reason with him to pull over.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I have to wonder if there was truly any "hiding" being done by Pavs and his agent. From May to now is a long time. If this did happen in May, why are we only finding out about it now? Pavs and his agent can't control the Czech media, and Pavs is a large enough celebrity there to warrant at least a decent news page article. We should have found out about this months ago, like we did when we heard about Buff's watership down episode.
It very well might not have hit the Czech media, for whatever reason. Maybe they disclose charges differently than it works here. The news station being linked today is reporting it as an "exclusive" which, if it really is, suggests it wasn't reported beforehand.

Either way, you don't leave it up to media reports to inform your employer about something like this. You darn well get on the phone the day it happens and say, "Look, I've gotten myself into trouble, here's what you have to know, here's when my court date is," etc. There's almost no doubt TNSE was blindsided by this, which means there's been almost two months of contact with Pavelec via his agent that this was never disclosed.

I don't know if Walsh knew or not. I guess it'll come out.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:55 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
It very well might not have hit the Czech media, for whatever reason. Maybe they disclose charges differently than it works here. The news station being linked today is reporting it as an "exclusive" which, if it really is, suggests it wasn't reported beforehand.

Either way, you don't leave it up to media reports to inform your employer about something like this. You darn well get on the phone the day it happens and say, "Look, I've gotten myself into trouble, here's what you have to know, here's when my court date is," etc. There's almost no doubt TNSE was blindsided by this, which means there's been almost two months of contact with Pavelec via his agent that this was never disclosed.

I don't know if Walsh knew or not. I guess it'll come out.
Yea this is my GUESS as well Aerial, TNSE would have gotten out in front of this had they known. There is away too much downside on covering up something that is bound to come out at some point.

The Walsh angle could be a story.

Last edited by ps241: 07-16-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old
07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I am also starting to wonder if it was a .02 and not a .20 Czechs routinely drink beer for breakfast.

Perhaps some locals can weigh in on this.

http://www.my-prague-sights.com/czec...c-culture.html
No, as I posted on the previous pages, it was indeed 2 permille (or 2.0 in Europe), that is 0.2 (i.e., 2.5 times the US limit) in the US/Canada.

That's why he got the suspended 6-month jail time. Everything above 0.1 is considered a crime (and leads to some jail time).

Had he blown 0.02, it would have been just a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine and 3 "penalty points" (when you reach 12 points, you lose your driver's license), if my memory serves right.

And, BTW, I have yet to meet a countryman/woman who would "routinely drink beer for breakfast."

Last edited by razorback: 07-16-2012 at 10:25 PM.
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea this is my GUESS as well Aerial, TNSE would have gotten out in front of this had they known. There is away too much downside on covering up something that is bound to come out at some point.

The Walsh angle could be a story.
This is going to be interesting to see develop. At this point, quite a lot of people deserve answers, starting with TNSE for sure but going on to us fans.

I won't immediately leap to assume he hid it. There's other options. It may have been a gross oversight not to tell TNSE but without an actual intent to cover it up. He may have asked a representative to do so on his behalf and they did not (perhaps caught up in contract discussions). He may have been getting terrible legal advice in Czech about the charges and believed that terrible legal advice. An attempt to hide it is one option.

Either way, it's really unfortunate and I know I'm really disappointed. But I'm not really down with the melodrama going on in some corners of Twitter right now either. Whatever happened, it is absolutely fixable with a willingness to take responsibility in public going forward.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
sully1410

What a ****ing moron. That's really all I have to say, but at the same time...everybody ****s up.

I'm sure there's more then a fair share of us that has driven at least a little intoxicated once or twice. Myself included.

I didn't get caught. Thank god no one got hurt. But there are still days that I wake up in the middle of the night full of regret and beating myself up for my mistake.

I don't even drink now. Havent touched a sip in three years. I only hope that Pavelec will learn from his mistakes and change his life around.

If he does it again, I vote that we lynch him and hang him from the T in the MTS centre.

To sum up, before I get burned at the stake for admitting that I have dui'd before. I was an idiot. I messed up. I'm human. I regret it. I changed. Just like I hope Pavs does.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:37 PM
surixon

Not saying they will or will not do this, but if Pavelec hid this from TNSE while in negotiations there could be grounds to terminate his contract. On the topic at hand, very disappointed in him there is no excuse he should be smarter than this.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
To sum up, before I get burned at the stake for admitting that I have dui'd before. I was an idiot. I messed up. I'm human. I regret it. I changed. Just like I hope Pavs does.
FWIW, I won't burn you at the stake. I religiously never drove if I'd had even one drink -- until the one time I did, when I'd had a few too many. It was a terrible decision, and as a result I now ensure I never bring my car with me if I'm planning on drinking at all.

So I don't think everyone who drives after drinking is a bad person. I think most of them aren't. Unfortunately a whole lot of harm in the world is done by good people who make bad decisions.

I don't think Pavs is a bad guy and this doesn't change my opinion of him overall. But I do hope and expect to see him take some kind of responsibility, not just because of his public position but also because that will speak loudest to his character.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:53 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
FWIW, I won't burn you at the stake. I religiously never drove if I'd had even one drink -- until the one time I did, when I'd had a few too many. It was a terrible decision, and as a result I now ensure I never bring my car with me if I'm planning on drinking at all.

So I don't think everyone who drives after drinking is a bad person. I think most of them aren't. Unfortunately a whole lot of harm in the world is done by good people who make bad decisions.

I don't think Pavs is a bad guy and this doesn't change my opinion of him overall. But I do hope and expect to see him take some kind of responsibility, not just because of his public position but also because that will speak loudest to his character.
Good post aerial

The thing about bad decisions is we all make them and we can't wind back the clock. So that leaves me one option that I do have control over and that is "what is my next decision"

Old
07-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Well, I've had two 'wake up calls' regarding drunk driving.

A longtime childhood friend of mine got hit with a DUI a few years ago. We were leaving the Pal and he decided to drive his Jeep home. He smashed it into a tree, totaled his Jeep and spent the night in jail. Jeep was on lease so he had to pay for it. Couldn't drive for a year. I drove him around when needed and he carpooled to work. After lawyer fees, the Jeep and all, he said it cost about $30k. But worse was the shame and embarrassment. As a single guy, hard to explain to women that you can't pick them up because you don't have a car and you have a DUI on you.

The second wake up call, another longtime friend decided to run from a check stop after coming home from a Christmas party. Well, he wrapped his Mustang around a tree. He didn't survive. Closed casket funeral. I was a blubbering mess.

Keep an extra $20 in your pocket, and take a cab home guys. Feel free to go crazy. That's what I do. It's cheap compared to the alternate scenarios.

But you know what, admittedly it took two of these and a lot of aging to be able to do that routinely and with conviction. If I was still in my 20's, young, brash, and rich, and no wake up calls? I can't say I'd be as confident...

Last edited by Turbofan: 07-17-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Crazed Fan

Road Pirate

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:11 AM
sully1410

Quote:

Well said, and the same thing happened to me on my 20th birthday. In fact I actually drove my buddy's girl home while I was at it. When he found out that I was gonzo when I did it...we didn't talk for a few weeks.

I seriously looked at my car parked outside(it was a house party btw) and I was like "yeah...I got this." only to start driving to be like this was a baaaaaaad idea. I got to where I was going(stonewall incidentally, so like 25-30min after I dropped her off). Terrible idea.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:32 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Can the league fine him? The Jets might have the theoretical right to void his contract. But if they do, Winnipeg is a lottery pick team. He kept us in games we had no business competing in. Not to mention that the cap floor becomes a bit harder to get to.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:32 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Well said, and the same thing happened to me on my 20th birthday. In fact I actually drove my buddy's girl home while I was at it. When he found out that I was gonzo when I did it...we didn't talk for a few weeks.

I seriously looked at my car parked outside(it was a house party btw) and I was like "yeah...I got this." only to start driving to be like this was a baaaaaaad idea. I got to where I was going(stonewall incidentally, so like 25-30min after I dropped her off). Terrible idea.
I, too, drove home after imbibing a couple. I went out to the sports bar after work with a few people and had 2 beer and a tequila shooter. I'm a fairly big guy (6'4", 270lbs at the time), but I was still worried. As such, I waited an hour at the bar and had a bite of something to eat, then drove home. Even then, I was nervous the entire time. Another time was when I went to a house party. I didn't take my car because I knew what state of mind I would likely be in by the time I was done. I don't even remember the cab ride home, which to me is pretty scary. Luckily, the only damage done that night was to my friend's screen door (I fell through it while trying to navigate over 20 ****ing pair of shoes that were strewn across the entrance way), a co-worker's coat that was draped on the couch (my hand reached out to balance myself and I knocked someone's drink off the bannister it was on), and I laid my laundry basket to waste when I tripped over it at home.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

I can see both sides of the story.

On one hand, I think drunk driving is an absolutely idiotic and unforgiveable act. In this day and age there is no claim of ignorance to hide behind. It is a ridiculously dangerous and stupid thing to do, and far too often innocent people pay for that stupidity.

On the other hand, road pirate is hilarious. If we spend our entire life obsessing over the negatives in life we would be miserable.

07-17-2012, 04:02 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I can see both sides of the story.

On one hand, I think drunk driving is an absolutely idiotic and unforgiveable act. In this day and age there is no claim of ignorance to hide behind. It is a ridiculously dangerous and stupid thing to do, and far too often innocent people pay for that stupidity.

On the other hand, road pirate is hilarious. If we spend our entire life obsessing over the negatives in life we would be miserable.
Unforgivable is a pretty strong word. The bible tells us that forgiveness is available to even the greatest of heathens.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:55 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Of course too, Czech Republic has the highest beer consumption in the world. Czech beer is like water to many citizens - it's just a basic way of life.

And, Prague has hundreds of pubs and places to have a drink. From a beer in the morning to wine at dinner, Czechs like to drink.
Yes, the Czechs like their beer, but you don't see people having a beer for breakfast, that's for sure. I mean they work just like we do. The only instance I've seen people have a beer in the morning was during holidays/on the weekends.

The short quote is very misleading IMO.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:11 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Can't turn back the clock and make this not happen. What will be telling is how Pavelec and TNSE respond to this regrettable incident. There are 3 options, IMHO:
  1. They attempt to sweep it under the carpet. Unlikely to happen.
  2. They do something positive together: have Pav make public amends through some form of community involvement against drunk driving.
  3. They terminate the relationship, if they truly didn't know that this incident was on the legal books during the contract negotiations.

I truly hope they choose #2. Thoughts? Am I missing #4, #5?

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:26 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

New name - Ondrej Pave-liqu-ored.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Can't turn back the clock and make this not happen. What will be telling is how Pavelec and TNSE respond to this regrettable incident. There are 3 options, IMHO:
  1. They attempt to sweep it under the carpet. Unlikely to happen.
  2. They do something positive together: have Pav make public amends through some form of community involvement against drunk driving.
  3. They terminate the relationship, if they truly didn't know that this incident was on the legal books during the contract negotiations.

I truly hope they choose #2. Thoughts? Am I missing #4, #5?
I'm thinking option # 1. They didn't really do/say anything when Buff was caught in his boating incident, at least nothing public. It will all probably be worked out internally and we will never hear about it again.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:30 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
I'm thinking option # 1. They didn't really do/say anything when Buff was caught in his boating incident, at least nothing public. It will all probably be worked out internally and we will never hear about it again.
Inflict I think the difference is Buff has not been found guilty yet so TNSE will need to wait to see if he wins his case. In the case of Pavs they will need to get the facts strait first but as far as we can tell so far he was found guilty by the court and has been sentinced. I am guessing TNSE will respond with # 2 at a minimum.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:33 AM
puck stoppa

Aside from the seriousness of DD, the other issue between Pavs and TNSE is whether he hid this info or not. Who cares if they knew this during negs, that's not the issue. The bigger issue is hiding something like this from your employer, period (great way to ruin relationship with them). I would like to think he didn't hide it, I mean tell TNSE your mistake, apologize and move on, but not telling them shows a flaw in character. It just sounds like Chevy didn't know about it until now but I hope Im wrong.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:35 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
I would assume that, with a salary of 3+ million per year, come certain responsibilities, obeying the law being on of them.
Quote:
I didn't know that the size of a salary indicated how seriously you need to obey the law.
I should clear up: that was sarcasm too. We all have an obligation ... was the point.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Repoman

Looking at it strictly from an employee / employer side of things, I had an employee that lost his license (multiple speeding tickets) and he hid it from me. When I found out out he had lost his license while doing quarterly checks I had no choice but to fire him.

On the other hand, had he come to me prior and told me there was a possibility of him losing his license for 6 months, I could have come up with a solution where he could have done a different job until he got his license back.

To me it sounds like TNSE had no clue. This puts Chevy in a serious bind. He has been preaching about quality and character and then he finds his franchise goaltender is hiding a possible jail term from you? If we hang onto this guy with just trying to sweep this under the rug, the whole culture of the team and all the talk about quality and character goes out the window.

If he stays, I want some serious community service done by Pavs (MADD etc.).

Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote