HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Assuming same salary, same years, Doan or Semin?

View Poll Results: I would rather sign at four years for $6 million per year . . .
Doan 34 22.22%
Semin 96 62.75%
Neither, let's stand pat with what we have for now. 23 15.03%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
AgentM

vCash: 500
I cannot see Doan being worth $6m a year for two years, let alone four. If we did offer Doan a 4 year deal I'd really like to see the cap hit at about half of that number.

Of course Semin is a risk over 4 years but if he did fit in here we could have the most dangerous pair of lines in the league with pieces like Sid, Geno, Neal, and Semin.

I'd love to see Shero take a risk this summer and swing for the fences with Semin. But I wouldn't be unhappy if we added Doan either as long as it isn't for a big cap hit over 4 years. Maybe Ray surprises us all and after he lands his preferred target in Doan for 2 or 3 years he'll snag Semin on a one year 'prove it' deal

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:24 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

The Semin vs. Doan question is a great one.

However, this poll is very limiting, and unrealistic, because it is based upon the pre-condition of a 4 year term. There is no way Shero offers a 4 year term (especially at that kind of $) for a 35+ guy in Doan; and I don't see Shero extending a 4 year offer to Semin either.

So I think this poll should be re-done with multiple options of salary/term for these players. And you can also include the option of BOTH Doan and Semin, which we could achieve if Martin or Orpik were traded. You can say it's unrealstic that we would trade both, but it's not anymore unrealistic than suggesting we would offer 4-year terms to either of these players.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

However, this poll is very limiting, and unrealistic, because it is based upon the pre-condition of a 4 year term. There is no way Shero offers a 4 year term (especially at that kind of $) for a 35+ guy in Doan; and I don't see Shero extending a 4 year offer to Semin either.

So I think this poll should be re-done with multiple options of salary/term for these players. And you can also include the option of BOTH Doan and Semin, which we could achieve if Martin or Orpik were traded. You can say it's unrealstic that we would trade both, but it's not anymore unrealistic than suggesting we would offer 4-year terms to either of these players.
would be tough to justify moving either of them right now with our defense. We'd have to trust two rookies to play from the get go and trust that one of them or Niskanen can be in the top 4.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

Quote:
It was also reported that at least one Eastern Conference team made Doan a massive offer in free agency worth $30 million over four years.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...-to-shane-doan

Not really that unrealistic. Semin reportedly wants a long term deal as well.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:14 AM
bambamcam4ever

People may be worried about how Semin would perform in the playoffs but Doan only has 28 points in 55 career playoff games.

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
People may be worried about how Semin would perform in the playoffs but Doan only has 28 points in 55 career playoff games.
I don't think people are talking about points when comparing Semin/Doan in the playoffs. Doan is a warrior. That's why people think more highly of him in the playoffs. He gives you more battle/compete in one shift than Semin does in entire playoff series sometimes.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Semin. Every day.
I wouldn't mind paying Doan big money for one year, as we have the space and there are few alternatives out there now, but at his age the reported Carolina bid is just.... sick.

Either way... Semin is just better no matter the character pros and cons.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to get Doan.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Saku11

Semin

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:07 AM
GLM

No way on doan 4 yr. they don't need to be saddled with a 5-6 mill 40 yr old by the end of that deal.

7.5 hit the bricks imO

Semin in a two yr 14 mill would be the most I offer him

Rather have the skill in semin. I truly think the toxicity of the caps franchise got to him and he was the scapegoat

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:17 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't think people are talking about points when comparing Semin/Doan in the playoffs. Doan is a warrior. That's why people think more highly of him in the playoffs. He gives you more battle/compete in one shift than Semin does in entire playoff series sometimes.
And Doan is a safer investment. He doesn't have to score to help a hockey team. He also brings some of that feistiness that I think every team needs to win. He's a hard guy to play against because he will keep coming and keep coming, and making teams pay.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And Doan is a safer investment. He doesn't have to score to help a hockey team. He also brings some of that feistiness that I think every team needs to win. He's a hard guy to play against because he will keep coming and keep coming, and making teams pay.
I agree with your sentiment, but is he a safer bet for 6.0 for 4 years. No not really.

Bring the years down and I'd agree fully.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:42 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I agree with your sentiment, but is he a safer bet for 6.0 for 4 years. No not really.

Bring the years down and I'd agree fully.
Yeah, I don't like 4 years whatsoever. I'd definitely be willing to give him 3. If he gets 4, he's going to have to come down significantly on his cap hit.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:57 AM
jdc147
Black & Gold!

I'd say Semin, 2 years @ $5.5mil per year. I like Doan, however @ 35 years & looking for a 3-4 year deal =

jdc147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

Semin, and I'm sure it's already been mentioned why - both by other posters (I'm late to the party here) or on any post of mine in other threads.

Rocket of Russia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:20 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc147 View Post
I'd say Semin, 2 years @ $5.5mil per year. I like Doan, however @ 35 years & looking for a 3-4 year deal =
How about Semin for 1 or 2 years at $5.5m and Doan at 3 years for $4m per and then we trade TK for a draft pick

Old
07-17-2012, 08:27 AM
jdc147
Black & Gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
How about Semin for 1 or 2 years at $5.5m and Doan at 3 years for $4m per and then we trade TK for a draft pick
Why trade TK? ( i like TK, however, if there is a trade in the pipeworks, .......) The thread is either Semin or Doan. It would great to have both, however, must stick to the OP's question.

Last edited by jdc147: 07-17-2012 at 08:37 AM.
jdc147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Old
07-17-2012, 08:39 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc147 View Post
Why trade TK? ( i like TK, however, if there is a trade in the pipeworks, .......) The thread is either Semin or Doan. It would great to have both, however, must stick to the OP's question.
But I want to haz both!

Old
07-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
I'd give 3 years / $14.5M for Doan (5.75 - 5.75 - 3)

1 year @ $1 000 000 000 for Semin, don't really care. Or
4 years / $20-24M without NTC. (I'm pretty sure he could be traded)

I'm too tired to think like a GM.

Last edited by Muscles4Malkin: 07-17-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Muscles4Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:40 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Semin and Doan aren't worth getting rid of TK?

Old
07-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Semin and Doan aren't worth getting rid of TK?
that's a happy gif. They are giddy because we signed both. sorry for the confusion

I would drive TK to whatever team we trade him to if we make that work. I love TK, but if we can get Dupuis onto that third line he's in trouble.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:45 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
that's a happy gif. They are giddy because we signed both. sorry for the confusion

I would drive TK to whatever team we trade him to if we make that work.
Oh my bad

Agreed. As much as I'd miss the Mr. Kennedy promo every time Tyler scores a goal at Consol I'd happily move him for these kind of upgrades.

Semin - Crosby - Doan
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Tangradi

Looks like a pretty sexxxy set of forwards to me!

Old
07-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Oh my bad

Agreed. As much as I'd miss the Mr. Kennedy promo every time Tyler scores a goal at Consol I'd happily move him for these kind of upgrades.

Semin - Crosby - Doan
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Tangradi

this one has captions just to be safe

Old
07-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Shady Machine

This is a weird question because they aren't worth the same amount of money. Doan may be a better fit in terms of being physical, gritty, and a character guy but he's not worth 6 mil for 4 years. Hell, he's not worth 6 mil at all.

Semin is a much more skilled player and has a ridiculous shot. His offensive ability makes him worth 6 mil (although the perceived attitude and character issues may drive down the price).

So the question, as it stands, is a no brainer. I'd take Semin at 6 mil for 4 years over Doan for the same. If we changed this so what they were worth, however, I would argue that Doan is probably the better fit on this team.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:51 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Oh my bad

Semin - Crosby - Doan
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Tangradi

I'd have Adams riding the pine instead of Tangradi. Whether he is the solution to our top 6 problems or not, Tangradi needs to be on the ice at this point if he is going to be up with the big club or else we're just wasting what potential he has.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote