HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs back to CJAD

Old
07-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Garry Valk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I doubt out of market listeners mean too much. I listen to TSN 990 all the time and there's never, ever an ad that's relevant to anybody outside the greater Montreal area.

Joe Schmo's Cars on Decarie is about as meaningful an ad to me as one of Melnick's Dylan tunes. Actually less meaningful - I've bought a Dylan album before.
Hey, I live in Toronto, and Ive bought Tony's shoes many times.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:16 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
This statement might have been true several years ago, but with internet radio now days, the physical location of the fan base, the listenership, is what counts, as the talks are for Habs' fans all over the world.

Not taking any sides here, this speaks in favour of both the English and the French listenership. One thing is apparently known though, it's that TSN990 didn't draw the way they were expecting.
I agree! I listen to the Team 990 on my iPhone app all the time at my office. It's my daily Habs fix besides the Internet and I live and work in Connecticut!

I don't know why they didn't think of trying to find other ways to develop revenue such as a monthly user fee of something like $9.95/month to use the app.

There are millions of die hard fans like me and a market they could definately tap into.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:02 PM
feds91

Montreal has terrible radio stations. Vermont has better stations.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Left Montreal years ago but how many sports stations have there been Montreal in the past ~20 years? I recall there was the team 990 (which I assume is now TSN 990). What is there to talk about 24hrs/day in MTL outside the Habs? There's no baseball team anymore, no basketball team. Alouettes can take up a segment, so can UFC/fighting. Perhaps a soccer show once a week. I don't really think it's surprising for a sports station to die there.

In Toronto, the content outside of the Leafs is mostly Raptors and Blue Jays based.
Believe me there are ways to talk about hockey and the Habs 365 days a year. If you lived in Montreal then you should know how Montrealers and Quebecers are. It's all they live for. Hell a few years ago, Corus bought CKAC and transformed into it into the first Montreal/Quebec all-sport channel, it was new and incredible for most sports fans. You had big shows on all hours of the days, mostly talk shows. Not everyone was stellar but when you came from work, all you had to do was open your radio on CKAC and it talked about sports. But two years ago Corus sold CKAC to Cogeco and last year boom almost a radio coup d'état, Cogeco decides that the only and lucrative Sport radio channel in Quebec, CKAC Sports would become a traffic radio because the goverment was offering money to those who wanted to allow their station to become a traffic radio because of the problems in Montreal. Cogeco sold their soul because of the money. And suddenly no more french sport station. And now no more english sport station. The whole thing is a mess and in my opinion, it should not not be this way. It's just the unfortunate actions of a few stupid clowns in a corporation somewhere. It doesn't make sense that suddenly we have no place to listen to sports french or english considering all the guys that listen to it. They have not suddenly stopped having the passion to enjoy listening and talking about sports. I think there's a big demand that is not filled right now.

And again saying that Melnyk and so forth didn't have the ratings it's a strange way to approach this as english radio in Montreal is a unique market and it will never have the big ratings. But it should exist.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:56 AM
HabsByTheBay

There are definitely successful sports stations in the US that operate with less 'resources' in local teams than Montreal.

It's francophone radio that's really going to struggle there. No chance of getting some NFL/CFL names, former Expos/current Blue Jays people, or big sportswriters from south of the border because few/none of them speak French.

That's why I think the best station would be bilingual (FTR, I say this as an American anglophone who is still learning French). Callers and hosts can speak in either language, yet you can still have the top names in both languages calling in. How cool would it be to have Melnick followed by Amateurs des sports?

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:02 AM
MXD

Quote:

That's why I think the best station would be bilingual (FTR, I say this as an American anglophone who is still learning French). Callers and hosts can speak in either language, yet you can still have the top names in both languages calling in. How cool would it be to have Melnick followed by Amateurs des sports?
Completely agree, though i think it's somewhat impossible, due to the legal framework.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:31 AM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemobile View Post
Man I miss Dick Irvin and Steve Shutt doing games on CJAD.
Wow - someone else actually over the age of 30 here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I miss Rick Moffat doing games on CJAD
No, you really don't.

walsy37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Et le But

Quote:
There are definitely successful sports stations in the US that operate with less 'resources' in local teams than Montreal.

It's francophone radio that's really going to struggle there. No chance of getting some NFL/CFL names, former Expos/current Blue Jays people, or big sportswriters from south of the border because few/none of them speak French.

As an international fan with only basic French who would listen to TSN 990 on my phone while commuting, I would find a bilingual station very interesting. As a Habs fan I'm used to that situation.

But I can't see it marketable, unfortunately there's still a lot of stubborn people out there who want one or the other and will complain if they think one language is used more than the other.

Also I'm not sure how to get that to work legally.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:19 AM
HabsByTheBay

What is the legal problem? It would be the most hilarious circumstance if a country which preaches official bilingualism wouldn't be able to properly regulate a bilingual station.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
As an international fan with only basic French who would listen to TSN 990 on my phone while commuting, I would find a bilingual station very interesting. As a Habs fan I'm used to that situation.

But I can't see it marketable, unfortunately there's still a lot of stubborn people out there who want one or the other and will complain if they think one language is used more than the other.

Also I'm not sure how to get that to work legally.
I don't think the idea of a bilingual "talk-radio" station can stand up to any degree of scrutiny.

- In what language will the games be broadcast? Either way, you loose a part of your audience to another station.

- In what language will interviews be made? English translated to french afterward? Standard for francos but you get ticked-off anglos who switch to another channel. French translated to english? Anglos switch to another station, and probably francos if the translation doesn't work well. Bilinguals feel both are a waste of time.

- Will every subject need to be discussed twice for each audience? How about callers who ask the same questions. Not interesting, people will switch stations.

- How are they going to sell ads, knowing that in either language some ads will not be understood by many of the listeners. Again, people will just switch stations during the ads.

- Who will want to host the shows? Most of the franco personnalities are bilingual, but maybe not enough to go on the air in english, and non montreal natives will definitely not be fluent enough in french to hold a conversation.

In summary, you'll halve you potential audience in either languague, halve you content because everything will need to be repeated and re-disscussed, you can only broadcast the games in one language at a time, you severely restrict your choice of hosts and you limit the amount of advertisers you can have and how much you charge them. Loose, loose, loose, loose, loose.

To illustrate my point, CJAD gets a 0.0% market share among francophones, and 985FM gets a 1.1% share in english, versus their 24% shares in their target languages. It just doesn't work.

Quote:
What is the legal problem? It would be the most hilarious circumstance if a country which preaches official bilingualism wouldn't be able to properly regulate a bilingual station.
See my post above for the practical reasons. How many english-speaking americans watch latin language tv channels?

If HFBoards can't be half-assed to operate a bilingual message board, how is a commercial broadcast company supposed to do the same and make a profit.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:06 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
I don't think the idea of a bilingual "talk-radio" station can stand up to any degree of scrutiny.

- In what language will the games be broadcast? Either way, you loose a part of your audience to another station.

- In what language will interviews be made? English translated to french afterward? Standard for francos but you get ticked-off anglos who switch to another channel. French translated to english? Anglos switch to another station, and probably francos if the translation doesn't work well. Bilinguals feel both are a waste of time.

- Will every subject need to be discussed twice for each audience? How about callers who ask the same questions. Not interesting, people will switch stations.

- How are they going to sell ads, knowing that in either language some ads will not be understood by many of the listeners. Again, people will just switch stations during the ads.

- Who will want to host the shows? Most of the franco personnalities are bilingual, but maybe not enough to go on the air in english, and non montreal natives will definitely not be fluent enough in french to hold a conversation.

In summary, you'll halve you potential audience in either languague, halve you content because everything will need to be repeated and re-disscussed, you can only broadcast the games in one language at a time, you severely restrict your choice of hosts and you limit the amount of advertisers you can have and how much you charge them. Loose, loose, loose, loose, loose.

To illustrate my point, CJAD gets a 0.0% market share among francophones, and 985FM gets a 1.1% share in english, versus their 24% shares in their target languages. It just doesn't work.

See my post above for the practical reasons. How many english-speaking americans watch latin language tv channels?

If HFBoards can't be half-assed to operate a bilingual message board, how is a commercial broadcast company supposed to do the same and make a profit.
I think the guy wanted the radio to have some hours in english and some hours in french refering to his post saying : how cool would it be to have Melnick followed by les amateurs de sports. For the Habs broadcasting it would be in English at least for the first year/years because Cogeco owns the rights to Habs games in French. But even then, the after game shows are really where the people want to talk so this wouldn't work out since it would have to be done in both languages at the same time. Having a bilingual radio station in Montreal is impossible, but ads aren't impossible to broadcast since many radio stations like virgin 96 sometimes broadcast the same ads in both languages one after the other. for the Hosts, there are many bilingual people in Montreal that are bilingual and can carry a conversation both sides (ex. Jeremy Filosa), but like you said the problem would be one-side saying they talk to much on this language instead of the other.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:00 PM
HabsByTheBay

JM's pretty much got it right, you're overthinking it Not The One.

Bilingual radio in the space of a single show would be a disaster. It just wouldn't work. But there's no reason that English and French language radio shows can't share the same station. That would be true Montreal radio, and it would exploit all the talent available in both languages.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:10 PM
psychonaut

I think TV Ontario was bilingual when its 1st started.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

I really hope i don't have to hear "SHUTOUT BUSTER!" midway through the 1st period again. CJAD's broadcast were horrible.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:51 PM
deandebean

Some of you will go nuts, but JC Lajoie has just quit TVA Sports, ready to return to radio, on the next RDS Sports radio station, apparently. He just tweeted that he quit.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
Wow - someone else actually over the age of 30 here!
Well......I miss Gallivan and Irvin doing the radio broadcasts..even Irvin and Reusch.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:31 PM
JuJu Mobb

Pierre Trudel says that Le Hockey du Samedi Soir à Radio-Canada could make a comeback.

http://www.radioego.com/ego/listen/11610

JuJu Mobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Some of you will go nuts, but JC Lajoie has just quit TVA Sports, ready to return to radio, on the next RDS Sports radio station, apparently. He just tweeted that he quit.
What a moron. TVA gave him the moon and gave them the finger.

Old
08-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
Pierre Trudel says that Le Hockey du Samedi Soir à Radio-Canada could make a comeback.

http://www.radioego.com/ego/listen/11610
Great i missed the input of female hockey players.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What a moron. TVA gave him the moon and gave them the finger.
He's going to Radio X Montréal. Not rds radio.

91,9FM I beleive, the station will start sometime soon.

Gustave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
He's going to Radio X Montréal. Not rds radio.

91,9FM I beleive, the station will start sometime soon.
Neverthless the guy became an important figure at TVA Sports, they actually gave him a promotion last year. The futur is in television, not radio. He was actually doing things that mattered there. He spent the whole summer interviewing athletes.

Old
08-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Issacar

JC Lajoie is a Nordiques fan, if he quits TVA, it's because he knows the Nordiques ain't coming back?

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:06 PM
neil2005

TSN 690 survives http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2012/r121018.htm

neil2005 is offline   Reply With Quote