HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs back to CJAD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2012, 03:04 PM
  #326
Garry Valk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I doubt out of market listeners mean too much. I listen to TSN 990 all the time and there's never, ever an ad that's relevant to anybody outside the greater Montreal area.

Joe Schmo's Cars on Decarie is about as meaningful an ad to me as one of Melnick's Dylan tunes. Actually less meaningful - I've bought a Dylan album before.
Hey, I live in Toronto, and Ive bought Tony's shoes many times.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:16 PM
  #327
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
This statement might have been true several years ago, but with internet radio now days, the physical location of the fan base, the listenership, is what counts, as the talks are for Habs' fans all over the world.

Not taking any sides here, this speaks in favour of both the English and the French listenership. One thing is apparently known though, it's that TSN990 didn't draw the way they were expecting.
I agree! I listen to the Team 990 on my iPhone app all the time at my office. It's my daily Habs fix besides the Internet and I live and work in Connecticut!

I don't know why they didn't think of trying to find other ways to develop revenue such as a monthly user fee of something like $9.95/month to use the app.

There are millions of die hard fans like me and a market they could definately tap into.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:02 PM
  #328
feds91
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Montreal has terrible radio stations. Vermont has better stations.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
  #329
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Left Montreal years ago but how many sports stations have there been Montreal in the past ~20 years? I recall there was the team 990 (which I assume is now TSN 990). What is there to talk about 24hrs/day in MTL outside the Habs? There's no baseball team anymore, no basketball team. Alouettes can take up a segment, so can UFC/fighting. Perhaps a soccer show once a week. I don't really think it's surprising for a sports station to die there.

In Toronto, the content outside of the Leafs is mostly Raptors and Blue Jays based.
Believe me there are ways to talk about hockey and the Habs 365 days a year. If you lived in Montreal then you should know how Montrealers and Quebecers are. It's all they live for. Hell a few years ago, Corus bought CKAC and transformed into it into the first Montreal/Quebec all-sport channel, it was new and incredible for most sports fans. You had big shows on all hours of the days, mostly talk shows. Not everyone was stellar but when you came from work, all you had to do was open your radio on CKAC and it talked about sports. But two years ago Corus sold CKAC to Cogeco and last year boom almost a radio coup d'état, Cogeco decides that the only and lucrative Sport radio channel in Quebec, CKAC Sports would become a traffic radio because the goverment was offering money to those who wanted to allow their station to become a traffic radio because of the problems in Montreal. Cogeco sold their soul because of the money. And suddenly no more french sport station. And now no more english sport station. The whole thing is a mess and in my opinion, it should not not be this way. It's just the unfortunate actions of a few stupid clowns in a corporation somewhere. It doesn't make sense that suddenly we have no place to listen to sports french or english considering all the guys that listen to it. They have not suddenly stopped having the passion to enjoy listening and talking about sports. I think there's a big demand that is not filled right now.

And again saying that Melnyk and so forth didn't have the ratings it's a strange way to approach this as english radio in Montreal is a unique market and it will never have the big ratings. But it should exist.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:56 AM
  #330
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
There are definitely successful sports stations in the US that operate with less 'resources' in local teams than Montreal.

It's francophone radio that's really going to struggle there. No chance of getting some NFL/CFL names, former Expos/current Blue Jays people, or big sportswriters from south of the border because few/none of them speak French.

That's why I think the best station would be bilingual (FTR, I say this as an American anglophone who is still learning French). Callers and hosts can speak in either language, yet you can still have the top names in both languages calling in. How cool would it be to have Melnick followed by Amateurs des sports?

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:02 AM
  #331
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post

That's why I think the best station would be bilingual (FTR, I say this as an American anglophone who is still learning French). Callers and hosts can speak in either language, yet you can still have the top names in both languages calling in. How cool would it be to have Melnick followed by Amateurs des sports?
Completely agree, though i think it's somewhat impossible, due to the legal framework.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:31 AM
  #332
walsy37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acemobile View Post
Man I miss Dick Irvin and Steve Shutt doing games on CJAD.
Wow - someone else actually over the age of 30 here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I miss Rick Moffat doing games on CJAD
No, you really don't.

walsy37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
  #333
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
There are definitely successful sports stations in the US that operate with less 'resources' in local teams than Montreal.

It's francophone radio that's really going to struggle there. No chance of getting some NFL/CFL names, former Expos/current Blue Jays people, or big sportswriters from south of the border because few/none of them speak French.

That's why I think the best station would be bilingual (FTR, I say this as an American anglophone who is still learning French). Callers and hosts can speak in either language, yet you can still have the top names in both languages calling in. How cool would it be to have Melnick followed by Amateurs des sports?
As an international fan with only basic French who would listen to TSN 990 on my phone while commuting, I would find a bilingual station very interesting. As a Habs fan I'm used to that situation.

But I can't see it marketable, unfortunately there's still a lot of stubborn people out there who want one or the other and will complain if they think one language is used more than the other.

Also I'm not sure how to get that to work legally.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:19 AM
  #334
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
What is the legal problem? It would be the most hilarious circumstance if a country which preaches official bilingualism wouldn't be able to properly regulate a bilingual station.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:44 AM
  #335
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
As an international fan with only basic French who would listen to TSN 990 on my phone while commuting, I would find a bilingual station very interesting. As a Habs fan I'm used to that situation.

But I can't see it marketable, unfortunately there's still a lot of stubborn people out there who want one or the other and will complain if they think one language is used more than the other.

Also I'm not sure how to get that to work legally.
I don't think the idea of a bilingual "talk-radio" station can stand up to any degree of scrutiny.

- In what language will the games be broadcast? Either way, you loose a part of your audience to another station.

- In what language will interviews be made? English translated to french afterward? Standard for francos but you get ticked-off anglos who switch to another channel. French translated to english? Anglos switch to another station, and probably francos if the translation doesn't work well. Bilinguals feel both are a waste of time.

- Will every subject need to be discussed twice for each audience? How about callers who ask the same questions. Not interesting, people will switch stations.

- How are they going to sell ads, knowing that in either language some ads will not be understood by many of the listeners. Again, people will just switch stations during the ads.

- Who will want to host the shows? Most of the franco personnalities are bilingual, but maybe not enough to go on the air in english, and non montreal natives will definitely not be fluent enough in french to hold a conversation.

In summary, you'll halve you potential audience in either languague, halve you content because everything will need to be repeated and re-disscussed, you can only broadcast the games in one language at a time, you severely restrict your choice of hosts and you limit the amount of advertisers you can have and how much you charge them. Loose, loose, loose, loose, loose.

To illustrate my point, CJAD gets a 0.0% market share among francophones, and 985FM gets a 1.1% share in english, versus their 24% shares in their target languages. It just doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
What is the legal problem? It would be the most hilarious circumstance if a country which preaches official bilingualism wouldn't be able to properly regulate a bilingual station.
See my post above for the practical reasons. How many english-speaking americans watch latin language tv channels?

If HFBoards can't be half-assed to operate a bilingual message board, how is a commercial broadcast company supposed to do the same and make a profit.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:06 PM
  #336
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,472
vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
I don't think the idea of a bilingual "talk-radio" station can stand up to any degree of scrutiny.

- In what language will the games be broadcast? Either way, you loose a part of your audience to another station.

- In what language will interviews be made? English translated to french afterward? Standard for francos but you get ticked-off anglos who switch to another channel. French translated to english? Anglos switch to another station, and probably francos if the translation doesn't work well. Bilinguals feel both are a waste of time.

- Will every subject need to be discussed twice for each audience? How about callers who ask the same questions. Not interesting, people will switch stations.

- How are they going to sell ads, knowing that in either language some ads will not be understood by many of the listeners. Again, people will just switch stations during the ads.

- Who will want to host the shows? Most of the franco personnalities are bilingual, but maybe not enough to go on the air in english, and non montreal natives will definitely not be fluent enough in french to hold a conversation.

In summary, you'll halve you potential audience in either languague, halve you content because everything will need to be repeated and re-disscussed, you can only broadcast the games in one language at a time, you severely restrict your choice of hosts and you limit the amount of advertisers you can have and how much you charge them. Loose, loose, loose, loose, loose.

To illustrate my point, CJAD gets a 0.0% market share among francophones, and 985FM gets a 1.1% share in english, versus their 24% shares in their target languages. It just doesn't work.



See my post above for the practical reasons. How many english-speaking americans watch latin language tv channels?

If HFBoards can't be half-assed to operate a bilingual message board, how is a commercial broadcast company supposed to do the same and make a profit.
I think the guy wanted the radio to have some hours in english and some hours in french refering to his post saying : how cool would it be to have Melnick followed by les amateurs de sports. For the Habs broadcasting it would be in English at least for the first year/years because Cogeco owns the rights to Habs games in French. But even then, the after game shows are really where the people want to talk so this wouldn't work out since it would have to be done in both languages at the same time. Having a bilingual radio station in Montreal is impossible, but ads aren't impossible to broadcast since many radio stations like virgin 96 sometimes broadcast the same ads in both languages one after the other. for the Hosts, there are many bilingual people in Montreal that are bilingual and can carry a conversation both sides (ex. Jeremy Filosa), but like you said the problem would be one-side saying they talk to much on this language instead of the other.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:00 PM
  #337
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
JM's pretty much got it right, you're overthinking it Not The One.

Bilingual radio in the space of a single show would be a disaster. It just wouldn't work. But there's no reason that English and French language radio shows can't share the same station. That would be true Montreal radio, and it would exploit all the talent available in both languages.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:10 PM
  #338
psychonaut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
I think TV Ontario was bilingual when its 1st started.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:43 PM
  #339
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song
 
Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,295
vCash: 500
I really hope i don't have to hear "SHUTOUT BUSTER!" midway through the 1st period again. CJAD's broadcast were horrible.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:51 PM
  #340
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 500
Some of you will go nuts, but JC Lajoie has just quit TVA Sports, ready to return to radio, on the next RDS Sports radio station, apparently. He just tweeted that he quit.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:19 PM
  #341
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
Wow - someone else actually over the age of 30 here!
Well......I miss Gallivan and Irvin doing the radio broadcasts..even Irvin and Reusch.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:31 PM
  #342
JuJu Mobb
Registered User
 
JuJu Mobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Pierre Trudel says that Le Hockey du Samedi Soir à Radio-Canada could make a comeback.

http://www.radioego.com/ego/listen/11610

JuJu Mobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:24 PM
  #343
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Some of you will go nuts, but JC Lajoie has just quit TVA Sports, ready to return to radio, on the next RDS Sports radio station, apparently. He just tweeted that he quit.
What a moron. TVA gave him the moon and gave them the finger.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:21 PM
  #344
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 21,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
Pierre Trudel says that Le Hockey du Samedi Soir à Radio-Canada could make a comeback.

http://www.radioego.com/ego/listen/11610
Great i missed the input of female hockey players.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:56 PM
  #345
Gustave
Registered User
 
Gustave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Here
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What a moron. TVA gave him the moon and gave them the finger.
He's going to Radio X Montréal. Not rds radio.

91,9FM I beleive, the station will start sometime soon.

Gustave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:02 AM
  #346
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
He's going to Radio X Montréal. Not rds radio.

91,9FM I beleive, the station will start sometime soon.
Neverthless the guy became an important figure at TVA Sports, they actually gave him a promotion last year. The futur is in television, not radio. He was actually doing things that mattered there. He spent the whole summer interviewing athletes.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:43 PM
  #347
Issacar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
JC Lajoie is a Nordiques fan, if he quits TVA, it's because he knows the Nordiques ain't coming back?

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:06 PM
  #348
neil2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
TSN 690 survives http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2012/r121018.htm

neil2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.