HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Bruins Prospect Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 01:55 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOHitter87 View Post
Knight already has better hands hes a pure shooter.
Than spooner? I'm a huge knight guy but he doesn't...his shot could scratch the itch on a fly's ass though (sorry, abdomen, I'm an entomologist )

Old
07-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Alan Ryan

NESN has a good article about new Bruins goalie Niklas Svedberg. The expectation is that he will compete for the #1 job in Providence.

Svedberg was signed to a two-year, two-way contract that will carry a $933,750 cap hit in the NHL and a $70,000 salary in the AHL. With Rask and Anton Khudobin set as the goalie tandem in Boston, Svedberg is expected to head to Providence this year.

He'll face competition for playing time there from Michael Hutchinson and Adam Morrison, but the Bruins have high expectations for the Swedish import. "Svedberg we expect would go down and challenge [for the starting role in Providence] based on the success he's had in Europe and being a little bit older," Bruins assistant general manager Don Sweeney said.

Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/2012/07/niklas-s...s-bruins-.html

Old
07-15-2012, 07:35 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
NESN has a good article about new Bruins goalie Niklas Svedberg. The expectation is that he will compete for the #1 job in Providence.

Svedberg was signed to a two-year, two-way contract that will carry a $933,750 cap hit in the NHL and a $70,000 salary in the AHL. With Rask and Anton Khudobin set as the goalie tandem in Boston, Svedberg is expected to head to Providence this year.

He'll face competition for playing time there from Michael Hutchinson and Adam Morrison, but the Bruins have high expectations for the Swedish import. "Svedberg we expect would go down and challenge [for the starting role in Providence] based on the success he's had in Europe and being a little bit older," Bruins assistant general manager Don Sweeney said.

Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/2012/07/niklas-s...s-bruins-.html

Good read, anyone have any ideas what his biggest adjustment will be in NA?? Understanding of course the rink size is a huge one, I`m guessing that due to the size of the rink, the speed of which the play comes at him will be a huge adjustment? And in Europe, is there more room behind the net? Do they have that ridiculous trapezoid over there too?

Old
07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
KOHitter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Than spooner? I'm a huge knight guy but he doesn't...his shot could scratch the itch on a fly's ass though (sorry, abdomen, I'm an entomologist )
I was really talking about all round the two shoots that he had in the cup were legit.I just havent soon enough of spooner to compare the two.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOHitter87 View Post
I was really talking about all round the two shoots that he had in the cup were legit.I just havent soon enough of spooner to compare the two.
Ya I got you, they both are good offensively. I think knight is a bit underrated when it comes to it though, when he plays in an offensive role he has the shot and sense to make things happen

He does have good hands too, he's gotten better at hiding his release, and that between the legs goal in his highlight video was a thing of beauty

Old
07-16-2012, 08:08 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Bad news if you are a Bruins fan. The Red Line review rates Montreal and Toronto has having the best draft yield, yup 1 and 2 overall out of 30- ouch; and to make matters worse team number 3 is Tampa which will likely be joining the Broons Division next year,

And to make matters worsah- Washington is 4.

And to make matters pinch your nose, hold your breathe and run out of the bathroom as fast as possible- 6 is Pittsburgh and 7 is Buffalo.

Wow, does that suck.

REDLINE goes on to list one of the top couple of steals was my man Matt Finn by the Leafs at 35. A legit top 20 pick. This wont bother me like the Parise pick but I bet Finn is a stud in Toronto and eventual assistant captain and all-star.

Boston likely would have been if not last here, bottom 5 IMO. Heck, if they dispise Subban as bad as they write and Boston had no second- ummm, it doesn't take rocketdan to figure out where Boston sits.

Well, we got a Cup right

Old
07-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Bad news if you are a Bruins fan. The Red Line review rates Montreal and Toronto has having the best draft yield, yup 1 and 2 overall out of 30- ouch; and to make matters worse team number 3 is Tampa which will likely be joining the Broons Division next year,

And to make matters worsah- Washington is 4.

And to make matters pinch your nose, hold your breathe and run out of the bathroom as fast as possible- 6 is Pittsburgh and 7 is Buffalo.

Wow, does that suck.

REDLINE goes on to list one of the top couple of steals was my man Matt Finn by the Leafs at 35. A legit top 20 pick. This wont bother me like the Parise pick but I bet Finn is a stud in Toronto and eventual assistant captain and all-star.

Boston likely would have been if not last here, bottom 5 IMO. Heck, if they dispise Subban as bad as they write and Boston had no second- ummm, it doesn't take rocketdan to figure out where Boston sits.

Well, we got a Cup right
The good news is- Red Line rated Boston as having one of the best drafts last year (2011). So there's that...

Can't win 'em all, but continue to be perplexed at what they did in Pittsburgh last month.

Can only hope that what they see in Subban is borne out...and that he doesn't go the way of Evgeni Ryabchikov, who interestingly enough was drafted in a summer when the NHL was facing a looming lockout.

Not comparing Subban to Ryabchikov-- before this forum's defenders of the faith jump all over me-- just joining most in hoping that the latest 1st-round goalie does not follow the same path as the team's 1994 pick. That was a draft that was pretty short on production for Boston, btw.

FWIW- I do know that the Bruins would have drafted Rask in the 1st round in '05 had Toronto not snaked him one pick before, so the bad string would have been broken with Tuukka Time. But still...B's have yet to see any real success with goalies in 1st round going back to 1969.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
The good news is- Red Line rated Boston as having one of the best drafts last year (2011). So there's that...

Can't win 'em all, but continue to be perplexed at what they did in Pittsburgh last month.

Can only hope that what they see in Subban is borne out...and that he doesn't go the way of Evgeni Ryabchikov, who interestingly enough was drafted in a summer when the NHL was facing a looming lockout.

Not comparing Subban to Ryabchikov-- before this forum's defenders of the faith jump all over me-- just joining most in hoping that the latest 1st-round goalie does not follow the same path as the team's 1994 pick. That was a draft that was pretty short on production for Boston, btw.

FWIW- I do know that the Bruins would have drafted Rask in the 1st round in '05 had Toronto not snaked him one pick before, so the bad string would have been broken with Tuukka Time. But still...B's have yet to see any real success with goalies in 1st round going back to 1969.
Was it you that mentioned that Brodeur met with the Bruins the night before his draft and told him they were going to draft him but Jersey ended up taking him before they could? I remember reading it but can't remember where I saw it.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Was it you that mentioned that Brodeur met with the Bruins the night before his draft and told him they were going to draft him but Jersey ended up taking him before they could? I remember reading it but can't remember where I saw it.
Not that level of detail, no. Had heard from several different people over the years that the Bruins wanted to take Brodeur 21st in 1990, but not as far as the team telling him they wanted to draft him or anything like that.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Brock

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...on-bruins.html

Reviewing the seasons of each NHL team's OHL prospects, as well as an outlook for next season.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:34 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...on-bruins.html

Reviewing the seasons of each NHL team's OHL prospects, as well as an outlook for next season.
Agreed on Dougie.

Not sure Camara is going to take that next step?

Think KoKo will develop just fine in KHL. He will be playing against bigger men, just like he will in the NHL. As far as his Dad being GM of the team, not sure if you ever played for your father, but typically they are harder on you, not easier.

Agree on Spooner's development this past year, but I think you have it backwards with the NHL time table for Knight and Spooner. You talk about how Knight didn't "take the next step" this past year as a power forward/goal scorer, but was he even given that opportunity? Seems to me like the Hunters had a different role in mind for Knight, and he did what the team wanted him to do, which was mentor/babysit younger players while sacrificing much of his PP time in the process.

When I watch Spooner, he screams Top 6 skill player. He is not going to be able to play that role in Boston for at least 1-2 years. Not to mention that I still don't think he is big/strong enough to play 80 games against NHL competition and size.

When I watch Knight, I see a guy with an NHL body that is versatile enough to play a crash style on the 3rd-4th line or make some plays when he has the opportunity. Because of that versatility I think he sees the NHL before Spooner and works his way into a Top 6 role eventually ala Marchand.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:36 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Agreed on Dougie.

Think KoKo will develop just fine in KHL. He will be playing against bigger men, just like he will in the NHL. As far as his Dad being GM of the team, not sure if you ever played for your father, but typically they are harder on you, not easier.

Agree on Spooner's development this past year, but I think you have it backwards with the NHL time table for Knight and Spooner. You talk about how Knight didn't "take the next step" this past year as a power forward/goal scorer, but was he even given that opportunity? Seems to me like the Hunters had a different role in mind for Knight, and he did what the team wanted him to do, which was mentor/babysit younger players while sacrificing much of his PP time in the process.

When I watch Spooner, he screams Top 6 skill player. He is not going to be able to play that role in Boston for at least 1-2 years. Not to mention that I still don't think he is big/strong enough to play 80 games against NHL competition and size.

When I watch Knight, I see a guy with an NHL body that is versatile enough to play a crash style on the 3rd-4th line or make some plays when he has the opportunity. Because of that versatility I think he sees the NHL before Spooner and works his way into a Top 6 role eventually ala Marchand.
I didn`t have the chance to watch him as much as you and others but come playoff time too, he had that high ankle injury too and from all I read and limited time I was able to watch him, this hindered his ability to do the things he does best no?

Old
07-17-2012, 08:51 AM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I didn`t have the chance to watch him as much as you and others but come playoff time too, he had that high ankle injury too and from all I read and limited time I was able to watch him, this hindered his ability to do the things he does best no?
I didn't see Knight nearly as much as others (esp Dom), and my opinion of him comes from only a little live play and is primarily based on what I hear about him from people who do watch the games live, combined with highlights and games on TV (never a great source) and what I have heard from multiple sources about his work ethic and drive. I did see him against AHL competition and he did not look at all out of place (neither did Spooner), and his style of play backed up what others had said. I believe his intangibles will be what puts him over the top.

Even though I would love to see Knight on the B's, selfishly it would be great if he was in PRO for a year. I will get to a lot more PRO games than BOS for sure, plus it's a little easier to isolate guys you are trying watch at the AHL level than the NHL. Think both Knight and Spooner are NHLers, so they should be great to keep an eye on (ala Sobotka and Marchand a few years ago).

Old
07-17-2012, 09:45 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post

I love that Red Line doesn't hee and haw but says BLUNT this is it. Refreshing. Matt Finn got two big thumbs up from someone who went up against him as a smart, really good player- really good. That sold me- that and jake77 who posts here who also sees him and knows his stuff

Old
07-17-2012, 09:49 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
let me put it this way about the ankle- I could be on one side of the street in the London neighborhood jake77 lives in (btw- what a great place) and JK could be standing across the street and you could see the swelling. Also, the Hunters had medical personnel go specifically to Shawingan for the Memorial Cup just to try and get that ankle better for that one game. So, there yah go

Old
07-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Fire Julien

Kirk has Hamilton and Sauve cracking the lineup

Kirk Luedeke @kluedeke29

Dougie Hamilton & Max Sauve (if he isn't hurt) RT @Latrappe72 Name two prospects who will crack Bruins's lineup this year.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post

Kirk Luedeke @kluedeke29

Dougie Hamilton & Max Sauve (if he isn't hurt) RT @Latrappe72 Name two prospects who will crack Bruins's lineup this year.
I saw that on Twitter.

I guess my question would be is Caron still considered a prospect? If Caron has found some consistency, I would say he has a much better chance of getting that third line position. Unless I am missing something, that is the only spot available?

I know the B's thought very highly of Sauve, and I have heard good things about him (skill-wise), but the kid can't seem to stay on the ice.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
I saw that on Twitter.

I guess my question would be is Caron still considered a prospect? If Caron has found some consistency, I would say he has a much better chance of getting that third line position. Unless I am missing something, that is the only spot available?

I know the B's thought very highly of Sauve, and I have heard good things about him (skill-wise), but the kid can't seem to stay on the ice.
If everyone is healthy to start the year the only spot I also see being opened is on the 3rd line with Kelly and Peverley. If they do chose not to keep Caron in the lineup I hope they at least send him to Providence and not keep him around as the 13th forward

Old
07-17-2012, 12:03 PM
DKH

I'll be shocked if Sauve even is healthy for the Opening game let alone in the lineup. Certainly has the skills and the position but he makes former Celtic Pervis 'out-of-service' Ellison look like Lou Gherig.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:11 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
If everyone is healthy to start the year the only spot I also see being opened is on the 3rd line with Kelly and Peverley. If they do chose not to keep Caron in the lineup I hope they at least send him to Providence and not keep him around as the 13th forward
Normally, I would tend to agree, but in Caron's case I'm not sure that the 13th forward spot would not be more beneficial than PRO??

As we have seen the last few years, the scratch guys, particularly the d-men like Boychuk and McQuaid have really used being the "extra guy" on the big club to their advantage, and have performed well when they got their chance.

For whatever reason, Caron has not responded well (at least initially) when he has been sent down. Could be just a mental thing (disappointment at not sticking), but regardless, I get the vibe that in his case, it might be better to keep him as the 13th guy, even if he gets beat out for the 3rd line position. Keeps him up with the big boys and hopefully in a positive frame of mind for when the injuries do come, and he gets his shot.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post

Kirk Luedeke @kluedeke29

I think management expects Caron to take the spot, but will give an equal look to Sauve. I'd like to Sauve, Bourque and Caron all get extended time with the Bruins this year. Competition a good thing.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Brock

Quote:

I did say that I expect Camara to enjoy a little mini break-out season. He started seeing powerplay time towards the end of the year in Barrie and I think he's fully capable of a 25 goal/50 point season this year. Especially since he could be on the first powerplay unit this year.

As for Knight, I don't buy the whole babysitting thing as an excuse for a lack of development in his goal scoring numbers over his OHL career. Sure he played some games with the Rupert twins, but he saw equal amounts of time with guys like Griffith, Namestnikov, and Max Domi. The powerplay argument is a throw away too. He still got lots of time with the man advantage on a secondary unit with the likes of Namestnikov, Domi, Austin Watson, among others. His production in the playoffs being down is obviously not a big deal because he was clearly very injured. The fact that he tried to play through it and was at least partially effective, is a testament to his character.

But I think something needs to be said about his goal scoring numbers being down this year. Many people (myself included) expected him to score 40 this year and be among the offensive leaders of this club. Instead it was a guy like Seth Griffith who climbed over him in the depth chart (and deservedly so). Is Griffith a better pro prospect than Knight. Heck no. But he was a better OHL player this year.

I love Knight as a player and as a person (I interviewed him in his draft year around the time he was battling his diabetes diagnosis). He's got a bright future. All I'm saying is that I'm not as convinced we're looking at top 6, 30 goal scoring winger anymore. Just not sure I see the instincts of a guy who can put up those types of numbers.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:26 PM
GloryDaze4877

You are welcome to your opinion, and you could be right, but I think Knight's lack of development as a goal scorer had almost everything to do with his role, and where he was asked to play. I find it very strange that a guy like Griffith would even be given the chance to supplant a guy that scored 30+ in his draft year even thought his diabetes went undiagnosed for the the first half of the season.

Knight played Top Gun with Kadri, then upped his point total the following year, only to be placed in what was primarily a checking role in his last OHL season. I know the Hunters value that aspect of the game, so it could be that, or it could be more about politics?

You obviously don't think Griffith is better than Knight, so why was he elevated above him in Jrs? As pros, I don't think it will even be close?

Old
07-17-2012, 02:59 PM
bruinsfan46

There are too many excuses made about Knight. He had a disappointing year, no way around it. He played on a stacked team and didn't score enough goals. For people asking why Griffith got more oppertunity it's because he scored 45 goals, he flourished all years long. Knight hasn't been that consistent of a goal scorer since he was 17. I still love Knight as a prospect, love his character and his skill set but I'm not absolutely sold on his offensive upside. His hands really aren't that top notch and his creativity isn't up to par of someone like Griffith. I agree with all that Brock said, interesting he isn't quite so down on Camara like a lot of you are.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:03 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
There are too many excuses made about Knight. He had a disappointing year, no way around it. He played on a stacked team and didn't score enough goals. For people asking why Griffith got more oppertunity it's because he scored 45 goals, he flourished all years long. Knight hasn't been that consistent of a goal scorer since he was 17. I still love Knight as a prospect, love his character and his skill set but I'm not absolutely sold on his offensive upside. His hands really aren't that top notch and his creativity isn't up to par of someone like Griffith. I agree with all that Brock said, interesting he isn't quite so down on Camara like a lot of you are.
I'm not down on Camara- go read my stuff from camp; I have bets on this kid; also, we will get to see what Knight has in 2 months. Put me down for success.

But I'm on the Camara train and once Knight gets settled in may turn my attention to Camara as the next one.

Closed Thread