HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part X) - "I'm Doan waiting around for Nash" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Sacrificing the long-term for the short-term may get you a shot at the Cup in one particular year, but what if you lose and prevent yourself from being competitive in subsequent years? The best way to do things is to put together a team that has a core group of strong, committed players. That way, any year you might see things come together in the right way and take a run. By doing things that way, you allow yourself more opportunities to win.
The uber-successful franchises always make moves to win now, but continue to keep an eye on the future. Thats where the Rangers of the mid-90's fell short.

I think this argument is morphing into a generic "keep young players, build chemistry, create longterm success, and that ='s multiple cups"

Maybe it does - or maybe you turn into the St. Louis Blues of the 80's and 90's.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/Buccigross/statu...24800883310593

The same guy who tweeted Schultz was going to make a decision and Rangers fans should stay tuned.
Im beginning to hate Buccigross.

07-17-2012, 09:13 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Im beginning to hate Buccigross.
His shtick of "I'm a better hockey fan than you because I have a Hakan Loob jersey, a back yard rink and love chicken parm" is really starting to get old.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
OverTheCap

I've been saying it for some time now... Buccigross repeatedly tries to mess with Rangers fans on Twitter. He's a troll, no different than some of the other rumor-mongering hacks, except he happens to work for ESPN which makes it worse. I hope Linda Cohn smacks him upside the head in the studio.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:20 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Dan Boyle for Gaborik? That is just stupid. Bucci needs to stick to his day job.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
i look at bucci's words..."almost happened"

as in this is not happening now...if gaborik is ever traded in the near future it would make no sense unless someone else is coming in...like nash or someone else that can pick up the scoring gaborik takes with him

Old
07-17-2012, 09:21 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The uber-successful franchises always make moves to win now, but continue to keep an eye on the future. Thats where the Rangers of the mid-90's fell short.

I think this argument is morphing into a generic "keep young players, build chemistry, create longterm success, and that ='s multiple cups"

Maybe it does - or maybe you turn into the St. Louis Blues of the 80's and 90's.
I'm not saying moves shouldn't be made to win now, I'm just saying that we shouldn't make moves that will handicap us going forward. The playoffs are too flukey, and as we've seen many times, the "best" team can get bounced in the first round if just one or two things go wrong. Always focusing on long-term competitiveness is how you hedge against the uncertainty of the playoffs by giving yourself a wider window than just one season.

RANGERS =
Old
07-17-2012, 09:24 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/Buccigross/statu...24800883310593

The same guy who tweeted Schultz was going to make a decision and Rangers fans should stay tuned.
Hes such a moron.

Boyle for Gabby doesnt even make the slightest bit of sense.

He loves to just troll ranger fans.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:47 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
well i we trade for kane, doesn't that fre up stephan for a nsh deal??
It could be Patrick Sharp.
That would certainly make Stepan available.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I'm not saying moves shouldn't be made to win now, I'm just saying that we shouldn't make moves that will handicap us going forward. The playoffs are too flukey, and as we've seen many times, the "best" team can get bounced in the first round if just one or two things go wrong. Always focusing on long-term competitiveness is how you hedge against the uncertainty of the playoffs by giving yourself a wider window than just one season.
We can continue to stockpile good, but not great, players that can contribute 50-60 points per season until they reach the ceiling of the Garden - but the bottom line is this team's window will last as long as Henrik Lundqvist is an elite NHL goaltender. Decisions need to take that heavily into account going forward.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
It could be Patrick Sharp.
That would certainly make Stepan available.
The whole reason the Hawks are in the market for a #2C is because Sharp is far better on the wing. He doesn't make Stepan available at all.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:58 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Am I the only one who never listens to Bucci?

Two years ago the guy wrote an article that the Rangers were lightyears behind the rest of the Atlantic division and NEEDED to start over and rebuild.

Just stick to SportCenter Buc.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Am I the only one who never listens to Bucci?

Two years ago the guy wrote an article that the Rangers were lightyears behind the rest of the Atlantic division and NEEDED to start over and rebuild.

Just stick to SportCenter Buc.
There aren't many people I take less seriously than Zipay, but Bucci happens to be one of them.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:06 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
I just hope the Rangers don't make the same mistakes they made in the early 90's, trading away pieces to get guys to put them over the top.

On paper, the Amonte/Noonan-Matteau trade was a joke, as was the Gartner/Anderson trade and the Weight/Tikkanen trade wasn't great either.

It's my belief that they could have won MULTIPLE cups with those guys there, if given the time and chance. Weight develops into the 2nd line center that eventually replaces Messier when he leaves. Amonte was already a 30-30/40-60/70 guy before he was traded. If it wasn't for Bure, he would have won the Calder. Gartner was a 40-40-80 guy here, still in the prime of his career, traded for a declining Glenn Anderson.

The Zubov-Nedved/Robitaille-Samuelsson trade was the knife in the heart. Then what I call the 96 Deadline Debacle just burned the house down. Kovalev had played his best hockey as a Ranger outside the 94 playoffs with Ferraro. Never understood that deal. Letting Verbeek go was nuts too.

I feel if they had kept those pieces, they would have won multiple cups. Pittsburgh got upset by the Isles in 93, Lemieux would miss a ton of time in 94 and 95. Philly would end up being too big and physical, but with the Rangers extra star power, could their defense really handle an onslaught the Rangers could have brought on a nightly basis? The Rangers went 6-0 against Jersey in the regular season in 94 before the Amonte and Gartner trades... they beat them in sudden death in the 7th and deciding game in the playoffs.

Sorry to go so far off track, but the point here is to let everyone see the comparisons between this team and the early 90's Rangers pre-cup and how much of a chance this team has to be a GREAT team for a long time. We need to be smart and stay the course. If they can get Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Miller and a 1st, then do it, but this team as presently constructed could be great for a long time at this progressive rate.
No apology needed. Tell it like it is, let your conscience be your guide.
I don't have a problem being active and making deals, AS LONG AS THEY ARE SMART DEALS, like the adjustments we've made for our bottom 12 so far (replacing Feds, etc., w/slightly better, cheaper versions).

We are all having a healthy debate about whether or not Nash is a good move, and if so at what price, etc., but those deals you have above were clearly mistakes. Let us hope we learn from history.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:15 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The whole reason the Hawks are in the market for a #2C is because Sharp is far better on the wing. He doesn't make Stepan available at all.
Okay, I appreciate the lesson, but he is an actual C, even if he's better at W, and could hold the fort until we get another C here before switching to W. He'd be terrific w/Kreider and Callahan.

And would cost a lot less than Kane. Not cheap. Just less. Agree?

Old
07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Okay, I appreciate the lesson, but he is an actual C, even if he's better at W, and could hold the fort until we get another C here before switching to W. He'd be terrific w/Kreider and Callahan.

Does it ever occur to you that you have to contort into pretzels to make pretty much any deal you suggest "work?" Shouldnt that tell you that it doesnt make sense in the first place?

"Hes better on the wing, but hes a center"....what???

Old
07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
There aren't many people I take less seriously than Zipay, but Bucci happens to be one of them.
Yeah, Zipay during the whole Nash thing, and trade deadline proved to be absolutely clueless. He got caught a few times making some really dumb tweets.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Yeah, Zipay during the whole Nash thing, and trade deadline proved to be absolutely clueless. He got caught a few times making some really dumb tweets.
Was Zipay the one that made the Brad Stuart to the Rangers tweet that had no basis in reality whatsoever?

Old
07-17-2012, 10:21 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post
This isnt the 70s, 80s, and 90s anymore. Teams are not winning multiple stanley cups. Even the powerhouse pens with all their tanking to get elite players have a hard time winning their 2nd cup in a decade.

You go out to win the Cup on a season by season mission. No GM is making trades to try to become the 80s oilers because frsnkly, its impossible. Teams are too even and you never know what can happen in the playoffs.

I cant even reply to the other post because it is so silly. A guy is upset with trades we made because he thinks we could have won multiple stanley cups instead of just one if we hadnt? I mean really now?
CM Lundqvist's post? I think the Rangers could have won the cup had they not made the trades regardless. In fact, I think the trades weakened the team. However, I likely wouldn't have cared that much around June 14, 11 PM ish....

However, we have the power of hindsight. Gartner was older but we did let go of some talent. He had a point about Weight but Tikkanen was still under 30 when we acquired him and played an important role. The Zubov trade and the 96 deadlines were bad trades and I do remember thinking so at the time. We had already won the cup. Ferraro was a good 2nd line center behind Messier. Losing Mattias Norstrom and Zubov in the summer before was a killer.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Chief

Quote:
Getting Nash isn't a "win now" move. He's only 28. It's a "win now" and "win for the next 5 years move". It's not like they're trading for a guy on his last legs.

And great organizations make trades as well. Detroit traded for the likes of Chelios, Shanny, Brad Stuart, Bertuzzi and others.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Mike Modano????

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...pid=nhl-rxl-fb

Old
07-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Chief

BTW- It's a pain to scroll back on my phone but did anybody mention Buccigross's tweet from about 9:45am today about Gabby almost being traded for Dan Boyle. I could only see it if the Rangers were going to pull the trigger on Nash. Not saying I'd do it. Just bringing it up.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

With Callahan, Kreider and Sharp on one line, you have three shoot-first players together. It makes no sense. There aren't exactly an abundance of centers available today, so holding the fort could be a heck of a long time.

Would he be cheaper than Kane? With all of the rumors about Kane being "available" and having off-ice issues, I'm not so sure he would be cheaper.

Do I like Sharp? Absolutely, but the only way he ends up in NY is if Chicago has some sort of love-affair with Dubinsky.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
BTW- It's a pain to scroll back on my phone but did anybody mention Buccigross's tweet from about 9:45am today about Gabby almost being traded for Dan Boyle. I could only see it if the Rangers were going to pull the trigger on Nash. Not saying I'd do it. Just bringing it up.
Yeah someone mentioned it. Hence why we were discussing how much of a schmuck he is.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Sign him up. Stephan is a choke show.

Closed Thread