HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League 2011-2012 VII

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Nzap
BaltoBaltoBaltoBalto

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
The one thing Bettman has going for him is that the salary cap has already been instituted. Fehr is going to fight that to a bloody end.
You think the PA will go for and try to abolish the cap?

Old
07-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Mr Green

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
If they want a year off, maybe.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
MLB is the only sport that still doesn't have a salary cap, where Fehr came from.

I think it will be nearly impossible to go from a salary cap to no cap in negotiation, but I would not be surprised at all to see Fehr try. This guy is a shark.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
The PA has nothing against the cap. Maybe 5 years ago there was some dissatisfaction with it, but nowadays not only are the stars making bank, but, thanks to the cap floor, a lot of players are getting contracts they'd otherwise not get.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Elever
Hth

The PA saying no cap in their proposal would be just as reasonable (or I guess unreasonable) as the NHL wanting to reduce the stupid proposals the NHL made.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I highly doubt Forsberg sees any NHL time this season. Reports from development camp are that he looked very skilled but not ready - that's the way he feels as well. I'd guess he finishes out the last year of his Swedish contract, then comes over for some AHL time after their season ends. He'll probably get his first taste of NHL action in 2013-2014.

S E P H, regarding Nathan Walker, I wasn't able to see any of the live action, but did follow Caps development camp closely on Twitter through various amateur sources (bloggers). The impression I got was that he didn't stand out at all, either positively or negatively - he had a couple nice plays that were mentioned but not a real standout from my sifting.

If anyone is interested in seeing live footage of Walker, Forsberg, or other Caps development camp attendees, the final day's scrimmage was broadcasted live, called by Caps radio voice John Walton, and posted on the Caps website.
Imagine that, a team that cares about its fan base. Not only do they have an on-ice development camp, fans can watch some of it online.

We don't even get televised preseason games, even though Altitude has absolutely nothing to air from April through September.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
The PA saying no cap in their proposal would be just as reasonable (or I guess unreasonable) as the NHL wanting to reduce the stupid proposals the NHL made.
Exactly...that's why I wouldn't be shocked....The NHL began negotiations far from what they expect will be the resulting CBA....and the Union would be wise to do the same. That's why there's a good chance to see the Union wanting to get rid of the salary cap in their initial rebuttal proposal. If that happens HFBoards will explode (the sky is falling!) but it's just bargaining. You ask for the extreme in your first proposal to try and take a stance on where you're eventually going to get moved to in negotiation. If you start at an extreme of 10, you negotiate down to 8 or 9...If you start at 3 or 4, you end up with 0. Both the union and Bettman are going to swing for homeruns at first before they come back down to earth.

But Fehr coming from baseball where there is no salary cap, I wouldn't doubt that in his reign of the NHL union it will be his ultimate goal somewhere down the line to abolish the cap for a luxury tax.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I couldn't care less about MLB or baseball in general so could you enlighten me to what he did there?
sorry if i didnt reply to your comment earlyer , i didnt have the chance to log back in.
But i see that bonzai gave you a very accurate answer.

Donald Fehr, is a fearless negociator , very smart and stubborn. he's gonna put Bettman in his backpocket i'm almost certain . Ferh is working for the PA he doesnt care about the league and/or the fans , if it means that the NHL will lose a few teams in the process for him to win his point , he wont care .

He's gonna go on TV with all the players behind him on the screen , they will be united like you never see them b4. Ferh will send threats in the media to the NHL every time he will get a chance . To a point that you will have the illusion that it's a dictator who is talking.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
But Fehr coming from baseball where there is no salary cap, I wouldn't doubt that in his reign of the NHL union it will be his ultimate goal somewhere down the line to abolish the cap for a luxury tax.
Again - the cap floor benefits a lot more players than the few who would stand to gain from not having a cap. Regardless of what Fehr did in another sport with another union, he's working for the players. I doubt many of them outside of a few stars really want to abolish the rule that forces teams to spend money.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Thanks Chibi!

Old
07-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Again - the cap floor benefits a lot more players than the few who would stand to gain from not having a cap. Regardless of what Fehr did in another sport with another union, he's working for the players. I doubt many of them outside of a few stars really want to abolish the rule that forces teams to spend money.
Oh I agree with you on the floor. It's a better deal for the general population of all players. If he can keep a floor and get rid of the cap, that's utopia for the union. I just think he would go after the cap first because he gets the support of the highest paid and powerful players. The salary floor benefits only the small guys who tend not to have as big of a voice in these things.

Old
07-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

Not necessarily. The NHLPA Negotiating Committee is primarily composed of meat and potato guys, giving it a pretty good cross-section of the people they're representing.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Not necessarily. The NHLPA Negotiating Committee is primarily composed of meat and potato guys, giving it a pretty good cross-section of the people they're representing.
I hope you're right. I don't want the cap to go away. I want the floor to stay or else Colorado would be spending $15M if they could.

And.....how the hell is Winnick on that board?

Old
07-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Xgp

vCash: 220
Every time I read something regarding the CBA that damn advertisement for "Lockout" is always visible

Old
07-17-2012, 07:58 AM
jaems

Quote:
The PA has nothing against the cap. Maybe 5 years ago there was some dissatisfaction with it, but nowadays not only are the stars making bank, but, thanks to the cap floor, a lot of players are getting contracts they'd otherwise not get.
Eh I don't know about that. Stars could easily earn more without the salary cap. Even at his prime, I doubt a player like Sakic would earn close to $10 million in salary cap NHL like he did a few year prior to the lockout.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Qurpiz
The omniscient

PA trying to get rid of the cap now would just be a waste of everyones time and energy.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Cap will stay in place, because it actually makes teams spend money because of the cap floor.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:07 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

It seems like almost every fan on HFBoards considers us(and Edmonton) as shoe-ins for the fastest skating team in the league.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1231619

A lot of Eastern Conference fans there even saying "Colorado has to be in everybody's list", etc.

I consider us to be a fast team up front, but the D? Not really. EJ, Hunwick, and Wilson can skate well. Hejda and O'Byrne are like tractor trailers starting up, and O'Brien/Zanon are pretty average.

I guess it's mostly our speed up front, and even though the Landy/O'Reilly/Downie line isn't neccessarily "fast", it's the pace that they forecheck with and get on opponents that gives that perception. Staz dishing to Ginner and Jones, both very fast. Duchene, Hejduk, Kobasew, Olver - all very good skaters. Parenteau not so much.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

I don't think Avs are as fast as they used to be. Liles isn't on the team, nor is Cumiskey, Galiardi and Winnik. Elliott/Barrie might not make the team.

Downie, Parenteau and McGinn doesn't strike me as speed demons.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:45 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Downie, Parenteau and McGinn doesn't strike me as speed demons.
Ginner is very fast. Much quicker than Downie and Parenteau. Great skater.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 2000
I had a dream that we traded Duchene for Bobby Ryan

I was very pissed in the dream

EDIT: No wait, it was Duchene for Patrick Kane - which is weird. I still wasn't happy we got rid of him.

Also, have you guys been keeping up with the new CBA? I guess the owners submitted their first draft and its not looking good. I would be surprised if we don't have any stoppage or issues with starting the season on time.

Last edited by AMDZen: 07-17-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old
07-17-2012, 11:03 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
Also, have you guys been keeping up with the new CBA? I guess the owners submitted their first draft and its not looking good. I would be surprised if we don't have any stoppage or issues with starting the season on time.
Yeah, check the posts like 3-4 above yours.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Bonzai12

I hope that the NHL doesn't have a lockout, but Fehr is 63 years old. If he's going to make drastic changes now would be the time. In 5 years the dude might not even be alive. That gets me a little nervous about this.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
It seems like almost every fan on HFBoards considers us(and Edmonton) as shoe-ins for the fastest skating team in the league.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1231619

A lot of Eastern Conference fans there even saying "Colorado has to be in everybody's list", etc.

I consider us to be a fast team up front, but the D? Not really. EJ, Hunwick, and Wilson can skate well. Hejda and O'Byrne are like tractor trailers starting up, and O'Brien/Zanon are pretty average.

I guess it's mostly our speed up front, and even though the Landy/O'Reilly/Downie line isn't neccessarily "fast", it's the pace that they forecheck with and get on opponents that gives that perception. Staz dishing to Ginner and Jones, both very fast. Duchene, Hejduk, Kobasew, Olver - all very good skaters. Parenteau not so much.
That pretty much proves they're not watching much of our games.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:25 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I honestly believe that both agree to have the season play while they negotiate throughout the season.

Closed Thread