Notices

[#1] HFStars 2012 Top-20 Prospects - Discussion Only

Old
07-16-2012, 06:06 PM
catters078

vCash: 500
My top 5 would be Faksa, Chiasson, Campbell, Oleksiak, Dillon

(wow, thats a really exciting 5)

The next tier for me (not in order) would be nemeth, Rielly Smith, Glennie,Eakin, Fraser

Last edited by catters078: 07-16-2012 at 06:13 PM.
catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:58 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Oleksiak
Dillion
Campbell
Faksa
Chaisson
Nemeth
Eakin

Would be thrilled if Glennie did anything of note

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:00 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Might as well put it out there now that Chiasson is my #1. I'm impressed with him at every turn. I think he's going to blow the doors off the AHL and finish the season in the NHL and not look back. I see him as an eventual 1st line player paired with Benn making a dynamic, complimentary combo long into the future. He's got size, skill, smarts, character, leadership, and solid experience against good competition under his belt. I think we will look back as fondly on that 2nd round pick as we do Eriksson and Neal.
Chiasson is the prospect I've seen play the most, and he's consistently impressive. My only reservation about voting him #1 right now is he's a winger. If Campbell and Oleksiak reach their potential, and I don't think it'd be a major shocker for them to accomplish that, you've got long-term solutions at key positions.

That said, my hands down favorite prospect is Chiasson. He's exciting to watch, and you see how big of an impact he has on each game. I agree he could very well be a top line player in Dallas, and I think he'd be the perfect RW for Eriksson-Benn. That line could play tough minutes while still producing big offense.

I'm leaning towards Chiasson-Oleksiak-Campbell had my first three votes.

I don't consider Dillon as the same level of prospect, and NHL readiness isn't that big of an impact for me in this type of poll. If we were picking based on that you take Sceviour pretty high because he's safe option for NHL minutes right this moment, but a guy like Matej Stransky who is raw but talented would fall on that type of list.

Dillon is impressive on his own, and he really looked like he could fill a similar role as Trevor Daley with more size and physical play. There's really nothing about his game though that looks like top-flight potential, and Chiasson, Oleksiak, and Campbell bring that to the table, IMO.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:04 PM
BigG44

Maybe a better example than Sceviour/Stransky would be Jordie Benn and Troy Vance. Vance is a year and a half removed from some of the weakest junior competition in North America. The EJHL just isn't a big time league. He's just getting accustomed to high level hockey. Jordie Benn is probably as NHL ready as he'll ever be. He's a decent 6/7 option, and I'd much rather have him on NHL ice right now than Vance, but there's no way I'd have Benn on a list of Dallas' 20 best prospects.

My point is though that while I'm honestly extremely excited about Dillon, his NHL readiness IMO has little impact on a prospect poll. He's definitely in my next group of prospects though that are a notch below Chiasson, Oleksiak, and Campbell.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
If Trevor Daley had a better physical game, a better offensive game, and better defensive awareness, I am pretty sure that's a top pairing D-man, considering Trevor Daley is a solid 2nd pairing type.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Faksa's definitely our top forward prospect. I still don't really think Chiasson ever spends much time in Dallas. Campbell to be honest probably has the top potential among our players, I don't see us having any potential elite forwards, or elite defensemen. Very good ones yes, elite no. Campbell has elite goaltending potential.

I'd probably go for Radek Faksa as my first vote. He's a very safe bet to at least be a very good third liner. He's got a scoring touch, good vision, extremely strong defensive play and sometimes there's a spark of physical play. Maybe that will develop into a powerforward mold or maybe it won't. He's got the highest potential for a forward in our prospect group (Every forward we have is a future second line forward) definitely IMO.

If I didn't pick him I'd probably go for Campbell. Why? He's got elite potential. There's all there really is.

My top 5 would probably be Faksa, Campbell, Oleksiak, Chiasson, Nemeth.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:28 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
If Trevor Daley had a better physical game, a better offensive game, and better defensive awareness, I am pretty sure that's a top pairing D-man, considering Trevor Daley is a solid 2nd pairing type.
I don't think it's as simple as that. Trevor Daley is an effective 2nd pair D, but I think he's better suited for anchoring a 3rd pair on a good team. I don't buy that Daley is a couple inches away from a top pair shutdown D.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Oleksiak, Campbell, Dillon, Glennie, Faksa, Chaisson

Picked on Need, Potential, and NHL Readiness

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Maybe a better example than Sceviour/Stransky would be Jordie Benn and Troy Vance. Vance is a year and a half removed from some of the weakest junior competition in North America. The EJHL just isn't a big time league. He's just getting accustomed to high level hockey. Jordie Benn is probably as NHL ready as he'll ever be. He's a decent 6/7 option, and I'd much rather have him on NHL ice right now than Vance, but there's no way I'd have Benn on a list of Dallas' 20 best prospects.

My point is though that while I'm honestly extremely excited about Dillon, his NHL readiness IMO has little impact on a prospect poll. He's definitely in my next group of prospects though that are a notch below Chiasson, Oleksiak, and Campbell.
I understand your point, but I think NHL readiness has to have some impact. Sceviour didn't make the prospect list last year because anyone thought he would be a top six forward but because he almost certainly going to see time in the NHL. Stransky has more potential but he's still has so much development left that there is still a good chance that he never plays a game in the NHL. Obviously NHL readiness can't the only factor of even the main factor in choosing, but it should have an impact IMO.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
I don't think it's as simple as that. Trevor Daley is an effective 2nd pair D, but I think he's better suited for anchoring a 3rd pair on a good team. I don't buy that Daley is a couple inches away from a top pair shutdown D.
Even on a good team I'd still think he plays on the 2nd pair.

How about I equate NHL readiness to indications that a players' game will translate to the NHL?

It's just my opinion. We don't know if Oleksiak's offense will show, but we know Dillon's is there. Who cares if he's an overager. It's not like he's 24 or 25. He's 21.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:02 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
He probably needs half a year in Austin but I too expect him to make Dallas' decision to move Ryder at the deadline that much easier.
Hull Fan, you really haven't been paying attention, have you? When has Joe proven his willingness to trade a useful player in-season?

I predict Chiasson finishes the season in Dallas but Ryder stays on as well while the team competes for a playoff spot. If Chiasson performs up to expectations he will either make letting Ryder walk that much easier or give management plenty of bargaining power if they want to re-sign Ryder and keep the team's forward depth intact.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

This is the year we stumble out of the gates and Joe will move a guy if there's a replacement. I don't think Jagr, Ryder, and Roy will all move but I expect one of them to at least.

Also anyone picking Reilly Smith in their top five is begging to be disappointed. I just don't see it him him at this stage. He's got skills and I hope he grows into it but I get the feeling that Chaisson, Glennie, Fraser, Eakin and probably Sceviour + Austin Smith are in front of him as far as Dallas call ups go. Obviously Sceviour and A. Smith would be in different roles as would Eakin and maybe Glennie but just a who's ready basis as an NHL forward at this moment R. Smith is last in that list.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:10 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Oleksiak will be my choice. 6'7"+ 240lbs+ with room to add weight. He is very mobile for his size, his reach is ridiculous, and he has a booming slap shot to go along with solid hands. I think we are looking at a guy who can score 30ish points while playing elite shutdown defense.
I was with you on Oleksiak throughout most of the year. I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for him claiming the top spot though. It's pretty clear that he's still a ways away from the NHL, which isn't a cause for concern or anything but he's not the kind of imminent arrival that I usually look for at #1. His offense may or may not materialize, it's hard to tell. The more concerning thing to me were the reports that his physical game hasn't developed further. It's hard to change someone's nature and make them something they're not. If only we could graft Dillon or Nemeth's attitude onto Oleksiak's body...

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:19 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Oleksiak vs Chiasson

This is just food for thought as I don't have anything against either prospect, but what has Chiasson done to pass Oleksiak since the last poll? He's been progressing steadily since then, but Oleksiak exploded offensively following a serendipitous trade, played some fantastic hockey in the WJC for team Canada, and just happens to have a not so trivial edge in what may be Chiasson's best attribute, size. Back when he was still eligible, Chiasson didn't even get invited to team Canada's WJC camp, although I'm sure most of use would argue he deserved to be.

However, Chiasson may have more room for improvement, despite being older. His skating ability can definitely improve, and if it turns out he can think the game in a faster league as effectively as he did in college, he has the skill to become a pretty good playmaker and of course he's built like a power forward so he'll always score goals.

Oleksiak on the other hand is probably as good of a skater right now as his frame and physics (curse you, physics) will allow him to be. Offensively he has a lot to learn, but I would doubt he ever becomes as effective on the power play as Chara. And by doubt, I mean I would be willing to bet large sums of money against it ever happening. Regardless, there's a lot of room for improvement there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I was with you on Oleksiak throughout most of the year. I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for him claiming the top spot though. It's pretty clear that he's still a ways away from the NHL, which isn't a cause for concern or anything but he's not the kind of imminent arrival that I usually look for at #1. His offense may or may not materialize, it's hard to tell. The more concerning thing to me were the reports that his physical game hasn't developed further. It's hard to change someone's nature and make them something they're not. If only we could graft Dillon or Nemeth's attitude onto Oleksiak's body...
Benn was labeled "passive" when he played for Kelowna. It's a completely different environment in the NHL. I'm betting Oleksiak is willing to throw a hit if his professional career depended on it.

Last edited by hairylikebear: 07-17-2012 at 01:24 AM.
hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:24 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
It's Jack Campbell for me. He's had a tough go in the OHL but it's really not a make-or-break until we can see what he does at a higher level. This season will be a huge test and can give a little more insight into his track to the NHL. I'm a fan of both Chiasson and Oleksiak (whom I would rank #2) but Campbell still have the franchise changing potential at the goaltender position.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:51 AM
English stars fan

I think, annoyingly, it has to be Campbell for me too. He's the only guy with real franchise potential and even though he's a way off that's expected for a goalie. If a player with his potential was at another position I think they'd be an undisputed number 1.

There's definitely a top tier - Oleskiak, Chiasson and Campbell, but Campbell I think edges it on potential, followed by Chiasson then Olekisak. Dillon being NHL ready boosts him along way up the rankings but because his ceiling isn't as high I don't think he's top-tier. Leads the 'B' group though.

So I'd have

Campbell
Chiasson
Oleksiak
Dillon
Faksa
Nemeth
R Smith
Glennie
etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
This is just food for thought as I don't have anything against either prospect, but what has Chiasson done to pass Oleksiak since the last poll?
Good question, not shown in the numbers. Dominated at BU in his junior year on a team which lost arguably it's best player (Trevino) and had all sorts of off-ice scandal. Settled in and looked comfortable in his first AHL stint.

Last edited by English stars fan: 07-17-2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Double post prevention
English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Hull Fan, you really haven't been paying attention, have you? When has Joe proven his willingness to trade a useful player in-season?
Grossman?

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
Grossman?
No need for the "?" ... glovesave obviously hasn't been paying attention ... not Hull Fan.

Grossmann was a more established piece than Fistric with significantly more experience against top competition. Because of pathetic prospect depth in the past Dallas has never had an immediate replacement from within at the trade deadline. Larsen took on a Top 4 role and Fistric moved into a regular spot in the Top 6 with Grossmann gone. If they weren't available or ready for that responsibility the move doesn't happen.

This is definitely a year you could see Dallas move Morrow and possibly Ryder if Fraser, Chiasson, Glennie, etc, prove ready to immediately step in.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

vCash: 50
Quote:
No need for the "?" ... glovesave obviously hasn't been paying attention ... not Hull Fan.

Grossmann was a more established piece than Fistric with significantly more experience against top competition. Because of pathetic prospect depth in the past Dallas has never had an immediate replacement from within at the trade deadline. Larsen took on a Top 4 role and Fistric moved into a regular spot in the Top 6 with Grossmann gone. If they weren't available or ready for that responsibility the move doesn't happen.

This is definitely a year you could see Dallas move Morrow and possibly Ryder if Fraser, Chiasson, Glennie, etc, prove ready to immediately step in.
One example isn't enough to say he does or doesn't have a track record of doing something. Just like bringing in Dvorak and Langenbrunner isn't really indicitive of Joe being drawn to players he is familiar with. We don't really have a big enough sample size for either, and Joe has only be working without his hands tied for about 8 months now. Also, Grossmann was hardly useful here for the majority of last season.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Oleksiak will be my choice. 6'7"+ 240lbs+ with room to add weight. He is very mobile for his size, his reach is ridiculous, and he has a booming slap shot to go along with solid hands. I think we are looking at a guy who can score 30ish points while playing elite shutdown defense.
I'm going to agree with this, and he's closer to NHL-ready than many think.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:47 AM
BeaverSports

And people will laugh at me now, but in two years, I bet anyone willing to take my bet that Devin Shore will be up there with any of them.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:49 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
One example isn't enough to say he does or doesn't have a track record of doing something. Just like bringing in Dvorak and Langenbrunner isn't really indicitive of Joe being drawn to players he is familiar with. We don't really have a big enough sample size for either, and Joe has only be working without his hands tied for about 8 months now. Also, Grossmann was hardly useful here for the majority of last season.
One example is fine when the one time the situation has actually been in place he pulled the trigger. The fact that the trade occured after his hands were untied also indicates it's a direction he could go.

My issue was more with the snotty comment to HullFan though than to the likelihood of Ryder being traded. If you had been paying attention the situation she described could easily happen again.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:53 AM
BigG44

Furthermore ... it's not one example. Mike Ribeiro is a more useful piece than Cody Eakin right this moment. They went for the future assets instead. There's two back to back examples of replacing more useful pieces with younger guys ready to step up (which is what they claim Eakin is ready to do).

Since Gaglardi has been in the mix, they've continued to preach getting young and making opportunities for young players. With the exception of the Steve Ott trade, every single trade or free agent signing has been made with young players in mind.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
My issue was more with the snotty comment to HullFan though than to the likelihood of Ryder being traded. If you had been paying attention the situation she described could easily happen again.

Quote:
One example is fine when the one time the situation has actually been in place he pulled the trigger. The fact that the trade occured after his hands were untied also indicates it's a direction he could go.
Souray, Burish, Richards. Souray was of similar value to Grossmann, Burish could have gotten us a 4th-5th, and the Richards situation is pretty convoluted but GMJN potentially messed that up too. But there is also the Neal for Goligoski trade, but I'm not sure if that applies since it wasn't an upcoming UFA and we traded Neal for a roster piece and not futures.

Quote:
Furthermore ... it's not one example. Mike Ribeiro is a more useful piece than Cody Eakin right this moment. They went for the future assets instead. There's two back to back examples of replacing more useful pieces with younger guys ready to step up (which is what they claim Eakin is ready to do).
He said in-season. Ribeiro was not an in-season trade.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

I'm not saying you are wrong. Chiasson certainly could make Ryder or even potentially Jagr available, just most of the evidence you are using isn't the best way of proving that point or proving glovesave wrong.