HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Suter Signs with Minnesota (13 years, $98 mil)

Old
07-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

vCash: 500
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...f=twitter_feed

And now it's in SI for everyone to read for themselves...don't ever cry poor, Mr. Leipold. Someone will have this under your nose in about 3 seconds after you do.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
maplepred

I think it will be funny when we are in playoffs and Minnesota isn't lol. That's what im waiting on!

Wow! They have parise and suter! Who cares. Two guys can't win you a title.

And they have washed up heatley hahaha. $uter can watch us win a cup without him and his upcoming sub par season.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:19 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...f=twitter_feed

And now it's in SI for everyone to read for themselves...don't ever cry poor, Mr. Leipold. Someone will have this under your nose in about 3 seconds after you do.
The recent moves notwithstanding, gotta love how that "very smart hockey ops" thinking long-term has gotten the Wild since... well... never.

Reading that makes me wish nothing more than personal failure to Leipold. Sounds exactly like the same guy who ran this team into the ground. I feel bad for Wild fans if what I think is coming actually does. Not so much for Suter or Parise, but for the fans definitely. Leipold just doesn't know how to control himself. He rambles on about spending needing to be gotten under control, and then he goes out and spends a huge sum of money on two guys. He talks like a business man, and then acts like a child with a $5 burning a hole in his pocket.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:29 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
The recent moves notwithstanding, gotta love how that "very smart hockey ops" thinking long-term has gotten the Wild since... well... never.

Reading that makes me wish nothing more than personal failure to Leipold. Sounds exactly like the same guy who ran this team into the ground. I feel bad for Wild fans if what I think is coming actually does. Not so much for Suter or Parise, but for the fans definitely. Leipold just doesn't know how to control himself. He rambles on about spending needing to be gotten under control, and then he goes out and spends a huge sum of money on two guys. He talks like a business man, and then acts like a child with a $5 burning a hole in his pocket.
Say what you want about Leipold, but Chuck Fletcher has done a pretty good job building for the long term since he took over a few years back. Fletcher built the prospect pool up from one the worst in the NHL to one of the very best. He has shipped out the malcontents and brought in "character guys".

What killed the team last season was the lack of depth. Going into mid-December, the Wild were at the top of the Western Conference, but when the injuries hit their main players (Koivu, Setoguchi, Bouchard, Lattendresse, etc.), there was nobody in the system to fill that void other than career AHLers (Warren Peters, Nick Johnson, etc.)

This season most of our top prospects have turned Pro...and while Granlund may be the only rookie to make the roster, there are now players in the minors (Coyle, Zucker, Larsson, Bulmer) who we feel can contribute more than the fill-ins we've been seeing the past few seasons.

And with Parise and Suter added to the line-up, there is a "trickle down" effect on everyone else. Now players who are 3rd line players and can play on that 3rd line instead of having to play 1st and 2nd line duties.

You can be of the opinion that Leipold is a hypocrite and overpaid for Parise and Suter...but that is the nature of the beast when it comes to free agency. The Wild were not the only team willing to "overpay" for these two guys.

The Wild should make the playoffs this season. My guess is that they can and should grab a 6-8 seed. But the future definitely looks bright.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

You'll have to forgive us if we don't wish to see Suter ever succeed again. Or Leipold for that matter.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:34 PM
glenngineer

Can we close this thread? No point in rehashing all of this again and again and again and having people troll the thread.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:48 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
You'll have to forgive us if we don't wish to see Suter ever succeed again. Or Leipold for that matter.
I completely understand...and remember, we went through the same thing with Gaborik a few years ago.

I just wanted to respond to the post where Predators fans should "feel bad" for Minnesota fans.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Was Suter one of the character guys he brought in?

Suter's character is highly questionable at this point. One thing is for sure, he's not a man of his word.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:26 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Was Suter one of the character guys he brought in?

Suter's character is highly questionable at this point. One thing is for sure, he's not a man of his word.
No one really knows for sure what went on between Suter and is agent and David Poile. Suter and Neil Sheehy have their version and Poile has his own.....and the truth is generally somewhere in between. In addition to that, Suter's public comments definitely didn't make it sound like he was guaranteeing to re-up with the Predators.

But if Poile honestly believed that there wasn't a chance that Suter would sign elsewhere no matter what Suter and Sheehy may have told him before July 1st, then he is extremely naive.....Which I don't believe to be the case. Poile is a smart guy, but was upset because he lost a top free agent. I believe his initial response was purely emotional.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:32 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Poile has been in the business for a long time and I've don't remember him calling out a single free agent like he did Suter. I'm going to have to believe Poile on this one, not to mention, Suter had said all along, he wanted to see how committed the Predators were to winning so the Predators went all in this year, only to see him back out..

He's scum.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:48 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Poile has been in the business for a long time and I've don't remember him calling out a single free agent like he did Suter. I'm going to have to believe Poile on this one, not to mention, Suter had said all along, he wanted to see how committed the Predators were to winning so the Predators went all in this year, only to see him back out..

He's scum.
I can't believe Poile made all those moves just to satisfy a single player's demands.... He's too smart for that.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:50 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I can't believe Poile made all those moves just to satisfy a single player's demands.... He's too smart for that.
So then Suter lied all along because there was nothing Poile can do at that point. Waddell did the same for Kovy in Atlanta.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
So then Suter lied all along because there was nothing Poile can do at that point. Waddell did the same for Kovy in Atlanta.
I honestly believe Suter considered re-signing with Nashville all along and even after July 1st. I also don't believe, for a second, that he gave any indication that would 100% guarantee to re-sign with Nashville. If that was the case, why would he even wait to go to July 1st?

Old
07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
PredsFanFromla

it hurts to think that we will never see ryan suter and shea weber on ice together in a preds jersey again,thinking about ryan suter makes me cry more and more and i can't put the pain behind me

PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:11 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post
it hurts to think that we will never see ryan suter and shea weber on ice together in a preds jersey again,thinking about ryan suter makes me cry more and more and i can't put the pain behind me
It does suck but remember, it's about the Predator on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow but this is life as we know it now.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
More likely it was to make both happy, Weber and Suter.

Weber said he was shocked Suter didn't sign here, sounds like he believed Suter was staying too.

No matter how you slice it, Suter didn't handle it well.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:17 PM
skydog71

In hindsight, Poile should have just skipped the middleman (Suter) and negotiated directly with Suter's wife.

skydog71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Say what you want about Leipold, but Chuck Fletcher has done a pretty good job building for the long term since he took over a few years back. Fletcher built the prospect pool up from one the worst in the NHL to one of the very best. He has shipped out the malcontents and brought in "character guys".

What killed the team last season was the lack of depth. Going into mid-December, the Wild were at the top of the Western Conference, but when the injuries hit their main players (Koivu, Setoguchi, Bouchard, Lattendresse, etc.), there was nobody in the system to fill that void other than career AHLers (Warren Peters, Nick Johnson, etc.)

This season most of our top prospects have turned Pro...and while Granlund may be the only rookie to make the roster, there are now players in the minors (Coyle, Zucker, Larsson, Bulmer) who we feel can contribute more than the fill-ins we've been seeing the past few seasons.

And with Parise and Suter added to the line-up, there is a "trickle down" effect on everyone else. Now players who are 3rd line players and can play on that 3rd line instead of having to play 1st and 2nd line duties.

You can be of the opinion that Leipold is a hypocrite and overpaid for Parise and Suter...but that is the nature of the beast when it comes to free agency. The Wild were not the only team willing to "overpay" for these two guys.

The Wild should make the playoffs this season. My guess is that they can and should grab a 6-8 seed. But the future definitely looks bright.
Danny Heatly is a "Character Guy"???

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:51 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Danny Heatly is a "Character Guy"???
Ask any teammate he has ever played and they would say "Yes!".

Old
07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Ask any teammate he has ever played and they would say "Yes!".
his past history of trades and request says otherwise.

silly really, though. no way to know unless you are in the locker room.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:15 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I completely understand...and remember, we went through the same thing with Gaborik a few years ago.

I just wanted to respond to the post where Predators fans should "feel bad" for Minnesota fans.
I never said Preds fans should feel bad for Minnesota fans. I don't tell preds fans how to feel. I said that if what I think is happening actually does happen then I feel bad for Minnesota fans. Leipold started throwing money at problems in Nashville, and it screwed the team until some actual businessmen came in to fix it. I hope he doesn't do the same in Minnesota.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:48 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
his past history of trades and request says otherwise.

silly really, though. no way to know unless you are in the locker room.

I do believe his move from teh Sens was due to the coaching situation as I believe a couple other guys got moved or asked to be moved due to the coaching situation also.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:53 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

This whole thread is still very depressing.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:45 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
There's really no point in the non-predators fans (especially wild fans) coming here and trying to reason with us on this thread. We're still all pretty ticked about this debacle.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:06 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I do believe his move from teh Sens was due to the coaching situation as I believe a couple other guys got moved or asked to be moved due to the coaching situation also.
Four teams in 8 years with that talent is a major red flag.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote