HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You better watch out ...

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 11:35 PM
OYLer

vCash: 500
You better watch out ...

You better watch out, you better not shout ... at the movies?

On the power play the other guys go 1 for 1 vs. our guys who go zero 3 times in a row. Tonight San Jose’s specialty teams boxed up the score and took home a pre-Christmas gift. The Oilers’ botched up their man advantages and settled for 3 more lumps of coal. Well I guess the low rent district in the Western Conference has to be occupied by some deserving team. At least dressing room heat won’t be a problem for the ‘Oil’ boys as they fit the bandwagon with skids—extra long for an early winter's slide down the Standings.

A hope and a prayer would seem to sum up Edmonton’s penalty play stratagem. The lack of power play conversions so far this hockey season totals tactical breakdown beyond underachievement. We are talking about finding new and creative ways of convoluting the straight forward. Five bodies skating fast and hard attack four bodies until the extra body (5 – 4 = 1) gets to shoot the puck and actually hit the net or at least force the goalie to make a save. Having players driving to the net and arriving there just as, or just after, or maybe just before the shots get there would be good. All three of those tactics seem to work for teams with good PPs. Maybe Craig Simpson could make up a diagramed sequence or three and practice it with the player for another whole hour? At least until their pathetic sticks stop drooping!

After all these elite player professionals are such quick studies, I mean, wasn’t Ryan Smyth just a perfect 0 for 7 at the face-off dot. The tactical advantage of not having the puck means Smytty gets to spend even more time perfecting how to play defense as a centermen, rather than say chipping-in offensively at left wing. A smart coaching staff wouldn’t continue to prolong an experiment that wasn’t working because of a stubborn need to be vindicated, would they? Maybe we should try Mike York in goal, as he seems to want to play that position anyway? This team is so poorly coached words cannot begin to describe the ineptitude of how they struggle to execute systems that just plain don’t work. They don’t skate as a squad they dash about individually for full periods of time leaving question marks strewn all over the ice.

How Lowe can they go on the power play before coaching changes are made. Accountability starts on the ice but migrates behind the bench before it creeps up to the GM’s box. Soon the box scores will seriously affect sales at the very top of the accountability chain–the box office. Ticket, merchandise, concession, and PPV sales and revenues will head in the same directions as the team is heading in the standings. But MacCuse will probably rationalize blame onto another group of his charges and say something like, "the new first Conga-line misstepped right into the minus."

Perhaps the new minus players will deserve some practice time off too; it’s not like high tempo passing and shooting drills 5 on 4 would do any good or anything? Players paid millions of U$ greenbacks to be less than mediocre boggles the mind. MNUC (Movie Night Until Christmas) is becoming more of an alternative way of $pending my hard earned shekels and enjoy this very wintry and merry season. It would seem that Xmas Cheer at Oilers' games missed making Santa's list, and losing all the time, just isn't any fun anymore.

Last edited by OYLer: 12-01-2003 at 12:00 AM.
Old
12-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Walsher

"Players paid millions of U$ greenbacks to be less than mediocre boggles the mind. MNUC (Movie Night Until Christmas) is becoming more of an alternative way of $pending my hard earned shekels and enjoy this very wintry and merry season. It would seem that Xmas Cheer at Oilers' games missed making Santa's list, and losing all the time, just isn't any fun anymore."

Choose one or the other to rag on. If the players are grossly underachieving, which it is obvious they are, how can you be so critical of the coaching staff? I believe the blame lies within the bodies of the players and their is clearly only so much coaching can do. You can't teach experience, you can't teach hands, you can't teach faceoff success, you can't force them to stop making ridiculous giveaways. The players have come up limp in the last 5 games laying eggs at every turn. No finish, no defensive responsibility, to desire, no desperation, no effort, and especially no accountability.

The same MacT had this team rolling not more than 2 weeks ago. They were on a 4 game winning streak and 5 of 6. Nothing they did went wrong. Even stinker games (Calgary 2-1 win) came out good. Since then the team has that ugly Heritage Hangover - some sort of let down based on the completion of the event, maybe that is what they looked forward to this year rather than actually competing. The players have been brutal. Flat vs Columbus, flat and lazy vs Detroit (bag skate or not), and the past 2 games just unable to finish. None of that is the coaches fault. The players need to locate their balls and start playing like men instead of scared little boys out there. Fire that puck around. Confident hard passes not these little flip passes that go back the other way. Move the puck with some conviction. When you get the offensive chances bare down like yo uwant to score. It is all the players..

Old
12-01-2003, 10:16 AM
oilflash

Good post Oyler. I have maintained since the beginning of the season, that unless this team could mount a decent and consistent Power Play, then there would be little hope of a post season. But I never thought the PK would tank this bad.

With respect to coaching, like the little guy in Carnivale says, "If you don't like what's goin' on, you gotta take it up with management." In this case, management begins behind the bench and moves up toward the press box.

My 2 cents.

Old
12-01-2003, 11:06 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
"Players paid millions of U$ greenbacks to be less than mediocre boggles the mind. MNUC (Movie Night Until Christmas) is becoming more of an alternative way of $pending my hard earned shekels and enjoy this very wintry and merry season. It would seem that Xmas Cheer at Oilers' games missed making Santa's list, and losing all the time, just isn't any fun anymore."

Choose one or the other to rag on. If the players are grossly underachieving, which it is obvious they are, how can you be so critical of the coaching staff? I believe the blame lies within the bodies of the players and their is clearly only so much coaching can do. You can't teach experience, you can't teach hands, you can't teach faceoff success, you can't force them to stop making ridiculous giveaways. The players have come up limp in the last 5 games laying eggs at every turn. No finish, no defensive responsibility, to desire, no desperation, no effort, and especially no accountability.

The same MacT had this team rolling not more than 2 weeks ago. They were on a 4 game winning streak and 5 of 6. Nothing they did went wrong. Even stinker games (Calgary 2-1 win) came out good. Since then the team has that ugly Heritage Hangover - some sort of let down based on the completion of the event, maybe that is what they looked forward to this year rather than actually competing. The players have been brutal. Flat vs Columbus, flat and lazy vs Detroit (bag skate or not), and the past 2 games just unable to finish. None of that is the coaches fault. The players need to locate their balls and start playing like men instead of scared little boys out there. Fire that puck around. Confident hard passes not these little flip passes that go back the other way. Move the puck with some conviction. When you get the offensive chances bare down like yo uwant to score. It is all the players..
I generally agree with you, Walsher, although you would hope your coaching staff would do their best to get the best out of each player. Motivation, even at this level with salaries mostly in the millions of U.S. $, still comes into play. Finding out what makes each guy tick is a huge part of it, and like it or not, the coaches do need to do what they can to get each guy going. It's the mental part of the game that is killing the Oilers for the most part, whether it's not being ready to hit the ice and work your hardest, or just to make the bad decisions while out on the ice. If the Oilers have already hired a sport psychologist, they need to hire a different one...! <sigh>

Bart

Old
12-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I generally agree with you, Walsher, although you would hope your coaching staff would do their best to get the best out of each player. Motivation, even at this level with salaries mostly in the millions of U.S. $, still comes into play. Finding out what makes each guy tick is a huge part of it, and like it or not, the coaches do need to do what they can to get each guy going. It's the mental part of the game that is killing the Oilers for the most part, whether it's not being ready to hit the ice and work your hardest, or just to make the bad decisions while out on the ice. If the Oilers have already hired a sport psychologist, they need to hire a different one...! <sigh>

Bart
Thats exactly right - but to me that is why MacT juggles his lines. He has found chemistry with Dvo-York-Torres, so they have been together. RPM was always together and now the Reasoner is out he has had to juggle again. To me there is a method to his madness as frustrating as it may be to see different lines on a constant basis. he is trying to motivate guys like Isbister, Chimera, Hemsky, Horcoff, etc. They have played in different situations looking for the right place for them to fit. Most of these guys don't have a defiend role because they haven't been around long enough to develop one. Experienced teams like Detroit can add a guy like Thomas, Hatcher, Schneider etc and they know what they are getting. With the Oilers, other than Oates, they need to try and find spots for the guys on an ongoing basis. To me the coaches haven't gotten nearly enough credit for the way they have managed the lineup through the injuries and rookies. This situation could be much worse - it is still early in the season and the guys are starting to get embarrassed themselves. I am not going to lose hope in the team or the coaches.

Old
12-01-2003, 01:05 PM
T-Rexall

No question that the Oilers obviously have very skilled and very talented players - what is needed is a very skilled and talented team. The constant juggling of the lines is frustrating - I truly hope that Walsher is right and there is a method to MacT's madness. I would hope that he can assemble consistent lines out of these very skilled and talented players that can actually work together as a team and score some goals. That is his job right?

Old
12-01-2003, 01:18 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Thank you for responding to my post. Those that read what I write carefully recognize that my focus usually centers on 3 points which support a central theme (classic essay format). Just in case you missed the thematic thrust: "This team is so poorly coached words cannot begin to describe the ineptitude of how they struggle to execute systems that just plain don’t work." I point to player mistakes because that is the only evidence I can validly use. I don't see lack of player effort as being the problem on 9 out of 10 nights.

Accused of being verbose 2 posts ago and then again appalled and shock by how so much player effort could be wasted with no results against the Avs, I resorted to compressed language and revealed my biggest fear. Lowe, MacT & Company must solve the specialty teams juggernaut. We lose winnable games because the Oilers's systems are not working. So this is a problem which must be addressed now or this team will miss the playoffs when they should finish no lower than 5th in the WC.
Quote:
The Oilers started to win because MacT was forced to make a goalie change and Conklin got hot and the team played hard in front of Ty! He should have started a game or two earlier but the Braintrust is slow to react to serious problems. Oates is helping but Money and the lowly small market mentality is preventing the Oilers realizing success this year.

It is time for the Oilers to step up the the plate and hit a trade homerun and get on with being successful. If it takes spending a few more Peso$ to acquire the last needed defensive desperado, so be it. So players: not so bad. Coaches: not so good need to work smarter. Management and Owners: still too Scroogey & Mr. Grinch-like for me.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:15 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexall
No question that the Oilers obviously have very skilled and very talented players - what is needed is a very skilled and talented team. The constant juggling of the lines is frustrating - I truly hope that Walsher is right and there is a method to MacT's madness. I would hope that he can assemble consistent lines out of these very skilled and talented players that can actually work together as a team and score some goals. That is his job right?
A newbie hits the wire and maintains a balancing act that offends no one ... alas a skill I am incapable of feting, feeting, feating ... well one of those acts where the rope tightens, the smile strains, from the weight of ones own being, there suspended, between nice and the straight line on which you have chosen to walk, and opinion is rendered into a flakey pie crust which contains little meat! A Shepard's Pie devoid of protein, as it were, yet still a little sheepish. The sacrifices we make to be polite.

Having given you a headache I suspect your next response might not be so clawless! Just the same, welcome to the boards, where a flesh wound can be mended 'with' and 'at' the drop of a few well considered keystrokes. Great handle by the way! I look forwards to seeing an avatar emerge from that combination of Jurassic Park meets Mydol down at the PillBox!

Old
12-01-2003, 09:09 PM
T-Rexall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
A newbie hits the wire and maintains a balancing act that offends no one ... alas a skill I am incapable of feting, feeting, feating ... well one of those acts where the rope tightens, the smile strains, from the weight of ones own being, there suspended, between nice and the straight line on which you have chosen to walk, and opinion is rendered into a flakey pie crust which contains little meat! A Shepard's Pie devoid of protein, as it were, yet still a little sheepish. The sacrifices we make to be polite.

Having given you a headache I suspect your next response might not be so clawless! Just the same, welcome to the boards, where a flesh wound can be mended 'with' and 'at' the drop of a few well considered keystrokes. Great handle by the way! I look forwards to seeing an avatar emerge from that combination of Jurassic Park meets Mydol down at the PillBox!
OYLer – thanks for the welcome!

LOL – I enjoyed the flaky Shepard’s pie metaphor, though I truly feel a simple “Where’s the beef?” could have sufficed. Maybe too cliché? – but definitely would have been more straight forward and to the point. Then again one person’s “substance” may be another person’s clarity.

It would be great to see the Oilers deliver both substance and clarity against the Wild on Wednesday!
- apologies for not responding in classic essay format.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:21 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexall
OYLer – thanks for the welcome!

LOL – I enjoyed the flaky Shepard’s pie metaphor, though I truly feel a simple “Where’s the beef?” could have sufficed. Maybe too cliché? – but definitely would have been more straight forward and to the point. Then again one person’s “substance” may be another person’s clarity.

It would be great to see the Oilers deliver both substance and clarity against the Wild on Wednesday!
- apologies for not responding in classic essay format.
What the hey T-Rexall, I let you have the last shot if not the last word here.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:33 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflash
Good post Oyler. I have maintained since the beginning of the season, that unless this team could mount a decent and consistent Power Play, then there would be little hope of a post season. But I never thought the PK would tank this bad.

With respect to coaching, like the little guy in Carnivale says, "If you don't like what's goin' on, you gotta take it up with management." In this case, management begins behind the bench and moves up toward the press box.

My 2 cents.
Hey oilflash, you really surprised with your Carnivale reference. The Wire and Carnivale are the best tube entertainment out there besides Hockey! Hopefully, you're not still annoyed with me? I appreciate your responses, I just don't always have enough time to get back to everyone.

Closed Thread