HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ottawa 2012 concerts/festivals

Old
07-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Upgrayedd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Ottawa definitely needs a medium-sized venue that can hold 1500 to 2500 people. Unfortunately, there just isn't any space in the downtown core to accommodate this. The CE Centre is all right, but as mentioned the location isn't ideal and it doesn't have that theatre feel.

As for Bluesfest, the final weekend was pretty good. Beirut did have a great set, and the crowd was relatively pretty good.

Metric closing Bluesfest was a good choice. The put on a very good show, but the crowd, other than for a few pockets, was really stale and not lively whatsoever. My wife and I were surrounded by zombies, and we were pretty close to the stage.
Have to respectfully disagree here, besides there performance which i did not find impressive at all especially the vocals, they have been at bluesfest everyear since 05 and are fairly local to the area, imo they should look at ending it on a Saturday night with a large act, personally id love to see the Foo Fighters or someone of that level next year!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Have to respectfully disagree here, besides there performance which i did not find impressive at all especially the vocals, they have been at bluesfest everyear since 05 and are fairly local to the area, imo they should look at ending it on a Saturday night with a large act, personally id love to see the Foo Fighters or someone of that level next year!
I thought Metric was fine. Their show this year was better than past shows, mostly because their latest album is different from their previous efforts. They're not The Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Weezer, but they gave a high-energy performance. However, the crowd was terrible.

It's virtually impossible for Bluesfest to bring in an act like Foo Fighters, who would cost close to a $1M. We met with Mark Monaghan last year, and he explained how a lot of bands want guaranteed, big money for performing at festivals since they don't get a percentage of the gate. So unless people want to spend even more, we won't be seeing the Foo Fighters, Coldplay, U2, etc.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Mister Wood

Quote:
I thought Metric was fine. Their show this year was better than past shows, mostly because their latest album is different from their previous efforts. They're not The Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Weezer, but they gave a high-energy performance. However, the crowd was terrible.

It's virtually impossible for Bluesfest to bring in an act like Foo Fighters, who would cost close to a $1M. We met with Mark Monaghan last year, and he explained how a lot of bands want guaranteed, big money for performing at festivals since they don't get a percentage of the gate. So unless people want to spend even more, we won't be seeing the Foo Fighters, Coldplay, U2, etc.
I must have been in a great part of the crowd for Metric, since everyone seemed really into it where I was. Tons of fun.

Plus those huge fees are why the Capital Hoedown ended up failing. Paying Swift all that money turned out to be a bad decision. So I agree, I think those bands won't be visiting Bluesfest unless we want a huge price increase.

Mister Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Wood View Post
I must have been in a great part of the crowd for Metric, since everyone seemed really into it where I was. Tons of fun.

Plus those huge fees are why the Capital Hoedown ended up failing. Paying Swift all that money turned out to be a bad decision. So I agree, I think those bands won't be visiting Bluesfest unless we want a huge price increase.
Were you on the right side of the stage, about 10 from it? If so, there was a good size pocket of people that were really into the show. We were on the right side, about 15-20 feet from the stage but right on the middle rail. Virtually everyone around us and those on the left side were mostly just staring. Some were bobbing their hands and singing, but they weren't exactly lively.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Were you on the right side of the stage, about 10 from it? If so, there was a good size pocket of people that were really into the show. We were on the right side, about 15-20 feet from the stage but right on the middle rail. Virtually everyone around us and those on the left side were mostly just staring. Some were bobbing their hands and singing, but they weren't exactly lively.
I was on the right side of the stage (when facing it) and everyone around us was certainly enjoying the show. Metric never disappoints and I thoroughly enjoyed them. They play Bluesfest every year because, as discussed in this thread, Ottawa doesnt have a well established, music first, 1500-3000 capacity venue for them to play. They're not even coming to town on their Fall Canadian tour. Bluesfest is pretty much the only time they can justify playing here. I just bought tickets to their Kingston show at the KRock centre in late November. Pretty lame that we dont have that medium sized venue....

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:42 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
This is a good summer for music. Although I am disapointed in this year's bluesfest (i.e. electronic music should not be there, but that's my opinion).

Blue Rodeo, The Dirty Heads and Hey Rosetta! were just pure awesome at Bluesfest.

Next up: Chad Vangallen, OTHERfolk festival in Owen Sound, Osheaga in Mtl, Ottawa Folk Fest and Beau's Oktoberfest.

Also Propagandhi is coming in September, Hot Water Music/Gaslight Anthem too.... and Dan Mangan/Rural Alberta Advantage in Kingston sometime in Oct..... Good year for music in the NCR!

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdom View Post
This is a good summer for music. Although I am disapointed in this year's bluesfest (i.e. electronic music should not be there, but that's my opinion).

Blue Rodeo, The Dirty Heads and Hey Rosetta! were just pure awesome at Bluesfest.

Next up: Chad Vangallen, OTHERfolk festival in Owen Sound, Osheaga in Mtl, Ottawa Folk Fest and Beau's Oktoberfest.

Also Propagandhi is coming in September, Hot Water Music/Gaslight Anthem too.... and Dan Mangan/Rural Alberta Advantage in Kingston sometime in Oct..... Good year for music in the NCR!

Great taste in music man! Comeback Kid is also doing the Prop show, and Strung Out is coming at the end of July.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Mister Wood

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, but I believe so. I was on the right side of the barricades down the middle, facing the stage (if that makes sense). Everyone seemed to be having a good time where I was. A good crowd help makes a good show great, and a great show unbelievable, which is why I probably enjoyed it so much. I get so bummed when I'm the only guy singing and dancing. The worst is when people have the option of sitting.

I'm a tad bummed they aren't coming to town in the fall, like other posters have said. I know the Civic Centre is not ideal, but it's probably the best that can be done. Bronson Centre is just too small, NAC would be too weird. I imagine anyone that can get a decent sized concert hall in Ottawa would make a killing.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:44 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
Great taste in music man! Comeback Kid is also doing the Prop show, and Strung Out is coming at the end of July.
I know, I'll try to get tickets to Propagandhi and Comeback Kid. I might skip on Strung Out, I saw them pretty often.

I forgot I also have tickets to Neil Young.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:40 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Over a month after 600k was robbed from Escapade Music Festival, DNA Presents announced their first show scheduled for Aug. 29th.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:46 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Hope the 600k was worth it to him.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Ot...845/story.html

08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
just saw that. What a dumb ass. Finally some closure for DNA Presents though which is great.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:31 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
The DNA Presents guys are getting into some country music.

Farm Aid Ottawa was announced today. September 16 at the baseball stadium. Paul Brandt, Emerson Drive and Jason Blaine. Tickets are $60 or $90, no details on the website how much goes to farmers.

It's no Willie Nelson or Dave Matthews, but it's something.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:28 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
The DNA Presents guys are getting into some country music.

Farm Aid Ottawa was announced today. September 16 at the baseball stadium. Paul Brandt, Emerson Drive and Jason Blaine. Tickets are $60 or $90, no details on the website how much goes to farmers.

It's no Willie Nelson or Dave Matthews, but it's something.
Wow that's great! I'm surprised they haven't announced it on their Facebook page.

Old
09-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Mister Wood

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...941/story.html

Just some schedule shufling. Hey Rosetta! will now play the slot before Bon Iver (on Sept 10th), which is a huge thrill for me since I was so bummed about missing most of their set at Bluesfest, which apparently was killer. The crowd booing the fact they had to cut their set shot, hah. Won't be making the same mistake twice. I Believe they're subbing for the Lumineers. Also Monte Montgomery dropped out, with a replacement TBA.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
littleD

Missed out on Folk Festival, but sounds like it went off pretty good this year.

Quote:
OTTAWA ó Ottawa Folk Festival organizers say 25,000 to 30,000 fans turned up for the five-day event to hear popular acts like Bon Iver, Great Big Sea and Ben Harper.

Thatís twice as many people as last year, when the struggling festival was moved to a new location at Hogís Back Park and taken over by the Bluesfest organization.

Attendance this year was close to hitting the festivalís target of 30,000 even though the weather Saturday was cold and wet, with bursts of driving rain.

In addition to paid attendance, organizers estimate that 4,000 to 5,000 people checked out the free events, including musical workshops and activities for kids.
Hope that just means it continues in coming years.

Summer is winding down, but they are a still a couple festivals going on. For fans of hip hop in Ottawa, this is your weekend...

http://houseofpaint.ca/index.php?page=about

House of Paint time! Saturday is the "Main Event" under the Dunbar Bridge with B-Boy battles, MCs, and lots of graffiti. Sunday is a concert with Shad and Maestro Fresh Wes on the bill with many others.

Also this weekend is the Arboretum Music Festival. Never heard of it until this morning, but looks kind of cool. Cadence Weapon one of the music performers.

http://arboretumfestival.com/

Old
09-20-2012, 09:18 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Quote:
Missed out on Folk Festival, but sounds like it went off pretty good this year.

Hope that just means it continues in coming years.

Summer is winding down, but they are a still a couple festivals going on. For fans of hip hop in Ottawa, this is your weekend...

http://houseofpaint.ca/index.php?page=about

House of Paint time! Saturday is the "Main Event" under the Dunbar Bridge with B-Boy battles, MCs, and lots of graffiti. Sunday is a concert with Shad and Maestro Fresh Wes on the bill with many others.

Also this weekend is the Arboretum Music Festival. Never heard of it until this morning, but looks kind of cool. Cadence Weapon one of the music performers.

http://arboretumfestival.com/
The Ottawa Folkfest was actually amazing! I went to every day. So many good shows. Hey Rosetta!, John K Samson, Corb Lund, Patrick Watson, Dan Mangan, etc. It was actually way better than Bluesfest.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:20 PM
SB164

Osheaga 2013

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Imagine Dragons
Mumford and Sons
Alt-J
Lumineers
Frightened Rabbit
Macklemore

I'm there 100%. I will work 70 hours a week to see those guys who aren't at Bluesfest.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

vCash: 4734
The Cure
Phoenix
New Order
Kendrick Lamar
Tegan and Sara
Ellie Goulding
Beach House
Two Door Cinema Club
Exposions in the Sky
Father John Misty
Frightened Rabbit
Death Grips
Grouplove
The Heavy
Holy Ghost!

Can't wait. Went last year and it was hot and rainy but still awesome.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:27 PM
H2O

What a sick lineup. In 100%

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Does anyone know if Bluesfest has any discount dates other than early bird ever?

Old
03-11-2013, 10:08 PM
littleD

Maybe close the 2012 thread? Not sure why it was bumped with 2013 thread on first page.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Maybe close the 2012 thread? Not sure why it was bumped with 2013 thread on first page.
Haha I was wondering why I had so few posts in this thread.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:31 PM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote