HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Country Life: Laurentians vs Eastern Townships

View Poll Results: Where would you rather have a 2nd home ?
Laurentians 11 47.83%
Eastern Townships 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-17-2012, 09:24 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
OT: Country Life: Laurentians vs Eastern Townships

Hey guys I'm looking for some input and advice from those of you who know the Laurentians or Eastern Townships very well. Whether you know it from travelling, or if you have (or had) a 2nd home, or if you live permanently... I'd appreciate your feedback and comparisons.

My brother and I have decided to go half half on a chalet/cottage purchase (likely after summer), but I'm having a bit of hard time in deciding whether the way to go is the Laurentians or Eastern townships. We obviously like lake side which is a bit more difficult of find in the eastern townships

Some pluses/minuses for both regions (IMO):

Black flies/mosquitos

One disadvantage I hear about the Laurentians are the black flies/mosquitos... If you live in the laurentians - how annoying are the bugs? Is this big enough of a deterrent to look in the eastern townships? Conversely, I was in the eastern townships last weekend and barely noticed any.

traffic

Also I know traffic back to montreal on sunday nights is deadly from up north but my return back home from the eastern townships this past sunday was pretty effortless.

Lakes

Clearly, the Laurentians has a ton of lakes and opportunities

Pine trees, mountains, views (country environment)

I think up north has an advantage as it's more green, lots of mountains, great views... Townships seems a bit more like ''old country'', farms, rolling hills

Agree or disagree with my assessment? More importantly, I'm interested in your thoughts!

PS: Mods - I'd be very grateful if you can keep this open for a bit for discussion seeing how it's a bit dead and smack in the middle of summer

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I'm more of an Eastern Townships guy myself. You are right about the "old country" feeling. I find the towns very pretty for the most part. Ive spent a big chunk of my youth in the Sutton-Dunham area so I have a nostalgia bias in this debate. My parents would rent a house that had its own artificial lake in the backyard so that was very, very nice and much more intimate.

It really depends on what you are looking for I guess. In the end, theyre both gorgeous areas that are worth looking into. Instead of focusing on the specific area, if I were you, id keep my options open and try to look at locations/houses. I mean... If you find the perfect place that fills all your criterias, it won't really matter if its East or North. You'll have a great time anyway.

As for the mosquito stuff, I wouldnt put too much weight into that. Its pretty much the same.

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:49 PM
psychonaut

I would say if you want to live in the country Eastern but for a cottage I would be more Laurentians. Ski in the winter and fishing walking ect summer time. Pretty perfect get away place. The biggest problem of the Eastern is the lakes get more polluted with all the farming around.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I'm from Morin Heights so i'm biased. It's beautiful up there, and the vistas can be gorgeous. It can get buggy for sure, but it's the price you pay for being in nature i guess. I don't much about the eastern townships, but i hear it's beautiful as well, i guess it really depends on what you want.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:58 PM
peate
Good grief!

My sister has a house near Morin Heights on Lake Grace and it's pretty nice, but crowded. The black flies and skeeters are really bad in the spring but gradually go away as summer progresses. Not too many lakes in the townships but expect to pay a lot more I would imagine. It's really a hard choice but I vote townships. Less people, less tourists but further before you get into the mountains.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:05 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

If u like traffic, black flies and lots of people, suburban architecture, the Laurentian r for u. Not familiar with price difference, but I can't imagine the Laurentians being much cheaper. Im more accustomed with st Denis de brompton, which should have all the nature qualities u r looking for.

Last edited by uiCk: 07-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.
uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:54 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Born in Cowansville, PQ - lived in Waterloo, PQ for my first 5 years - have asked family on your behalf who have more experience living there and they agree, Eastern Townships for the reasons you've mentioned (ease of travel - lack of congestion - beautiful small towns - lots of lakes - country feel! Cheaper Housing is the prime reason - a better investment IMHO)

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:34 PM
coolasprICE

Thanks for the feedback. This weekend the plan is to scout out both areas with my brother.

For reasons mentioned, we are leaning towards the eastern townships.

We need to figure out if having a lake side is a priority. I'd be happy with a lap pool on a big piece of land, however he wants the lake and boat deal.

Laurentians there is no shortage but in the eastern townships a lot less supply of lake side properties. Another advantage to the laurentians , the further north you go, the cheaper it becomes and more supply of lake side chalets.

A nice bonus with the eastern townships is that vermont is a short drive away which is my favourite us state.

I think it'll be eastern but it really boils down to whether we decide on lakeside and if we can find a place in our budget on the lake in the townships.

Last edited by coolasprICE: 07-19-2012 at 04:41 PM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:43 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
My sister has a house near Morin Heights on Lake Grace and it's pretty nice, but crowded. The black flies and skeeters are really bad in the spring but gradually go away as summer progresses. Not too many lakes in the townships but expect to pay a lot more I would imagine. It's really a hard choice but I vote townships. Less people, less tourists but further before you get into the mountains.
Hahaha what ? Please take a ride around here. There are plenty of tourists in the Townships. 2 different crowds between the 2 places.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I'm totally with you CoolasprICE regarding Vermont though. I used to spend a lot of time at lake Cami when I was a kid. My parents would drive us there and we'd spend the day by the beach. Then we'd roam around and explore the small, gorgeous and historical towns of the Green State. The townships is full of very beautiful towns as well, as I mentioned before. Plenty of amazing sceneries too.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
New Hampshire - Live Free or Die! My favourite place, Franconia Notch. There's a sports tackle shop in that area full of Bruins stuff with a massive Portrait of the Rocket behind the counter. Asked the owner what's the deal? He said the Rocket used to fish here & we respect him.

Between the Laurentides & Townships, both are great, nicer scenery North, great people South! Knowlton is a nice stop in the Townships, you'd swear your in Vermont there.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Habsfunk

My parents had a condo on Owl's Head growing up so I'm familiar with the Townships, at least to the west of Lake Memphramagog The pluses are:
1. More scenic countryside
2. Lots of quaint, little towns
3. Better skiing
4. Less crowded
5. Bigger lakes

The downside is there's fewer lakes and it's further away, though traffic probably negates that.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
After thinking about it a bit, voted Townships. I do prefer the Fishing & skiing up North, but the people south, when you talk to then well it's like you've known them for 100 years.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I'm totally with you CoolasprICE regarding Vermont though. I used to spend a lot of time at lake Cami when I was a kid. My parents would drive us there and we'd spend the day by the beach. Then we'd roam around and explore the small, gorgeous and historical towns of the Green State. The townships is full of very beautiful towns as well, as I mentioned before. Plenty of amazing sceneries too.
Lake Carmi, and Crystal lake in Barton are very nice places.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Bullsmith

Townships definitely have the mosquito/blackfly advantage, and if you're limiting the Laurentians to the Montreal-Tremblent corridor then it's not close. The 15 is a nightmare (not that the south shore bridges are always friendly). But my sense is there are a lot more hidden gems, quiet lakes and all-around bargains in the Laurentians (especially the foothills, I'm between Lachute and Morin Heights myself) so I voted for that region.

It's really about finding the right place, in the end. They're both spectacular places with a commute time that people in most big cities would kill to be able to have. I can get door to door from my place in Montreal to my cottage in 60 minutes on a good day (not at rush hour, obviously), 90 minutes on a bad one. In Toronto that won't even get you out of the suburbs.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Lake Carmi, and Crystal lake in Barton are very nice places.
Yes sorry, been a while

Old
07-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Townships definitely have the mosquito/blackfly advantage, and if you're limiting the Laurentians to the Montreal-Tremblent corridor then it's not close. The 15 is a nightmare (not that the south shore bridges are always friendly). But my sense is there are a lot more hidden gems, quiet lakes and all-around bargains in the Laurentians (especially the foothills, I'm between Lachute and Morin Heights myself) so I voted for that region.

It's really about finding the right place, in the end. They're both spectacular places with a commute time that people in most big cities would kill to be able to have. I can get door to door from my place in Montreal to my cottage in 60 minutes on a good day (not at rush hour, obviously), 90 minutes on a bad one. In Toronto that won't even get you out of the suburbs.
Most of my friends spend their summer in the Laurentians and constantly tell me that at least, up there, there aren't any "Mouche chevreuil"--no idea what's the "real name"--whenever we debate Townships VS Laurentians. Those are the worst because they hurt like a *****. I haven't spent enough time in the Laurentians to know whether that's true or not. But they're definitely all over the place in the Townships. At least they were a few years ago! Been a while since I've been there.

So there might be less mosquitos, but the big ones are worse.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Joe Cole

Travel time. That is the true decider. Depending on where you live, chose the closer of the two. The south shore bridges are hell on earth, and the drive through Montreal to get to those bridges is ugly too. The north shore is defiantly less of an eyesore but ou basically have one option,the 15. That can suck.

Either area will have great options for a chalet.

I grew up going to my uncles country house in the Magog area, and in the past 10 years spent a lot of time up north. Both are close to my heart

Decide the one that is easiest to get to.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Heimerdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I'm from Morin Heights so i'm biased. It's beautiful up there, and the vistas can be gorgeous. It can get buggy for sure, but it's the price you pay for being in nature i guess. I don't much about the eastern townships, but i hear it's beautiful as well, i guess it really depends on what you want.
I'm from Morin Heights too

Moved to Lorraine for 3 years, now I'm back in MH.

Heimerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
there aren't any "Mouche chevreuil"--no idea what's the "real name"
Horse-fly is the word you're looking for. Nasty little ********. Luckily I've never been bitten by one myself.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote