HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 10:27 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
While I agree with the overall premise of your post, Lundqvist, Rinne, and Quick all have excellent defenses playing in front of them. If you stick any of those goalies in front of the team defense we played last year they don't put up nearly the numbers they did.

Don't forget the numbers Bryz put up in front of a great defense in Phoenix...
Yeah but those guys in the reg season and playoffs were single-handedly winning games or at least giving their teams a chance to win much more consistently than Bryz..that's my contention

Old
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
While I agree with the overall premise of your post, Lundqvist, Rinne, and Quick all have excellent defenses playing in front of them. If you stick any of those goalies in front of the team defense we played last year they don't put up nearly the numbers they did.

Don't forget the numbers Bryz put up in front of a great defense in Phoenix...
Bryzgalov put up similar numbers in the playoffs on those "defensive minded" Phoenix teams as he did here.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:55 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Yeah but those guys in the reg season and playoffs were single-handedly winning games or at least giving their teams a chance to win much more consistently than Bryz..that's my contention
I've never seen a goalie play 1 vs 5 and win.

It's a team sport, and must be played as a cohesive unit, something the Flyers didn't remotely do last season consistently.

I fully support Bill's article, he's 100% correct.

This is nothing new though, goalies ALWAYS get the flack.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I've never seen a goalie play 1 vs 5 and win.

It's a team sport, and must be played as a cohesive unit, something the Flyers didn't remotely do last season consistently.

I fully support Bill's article, he's 100% correct.

This is nothing new though, goalies ALWAYS get the flack.
Goalies on worse teams were putting up better numbers. It isn't the team's fault if the goalie can't stop routine shots. The defense wasn't great, but the goaltending performance was pretty abysmal for a long time.

06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Goalies on worse teams were putting up better numbers. It isn't the team's fault if the goalie can't stop routine shots. The defense wasn't great, but the goaltending performance was pretty abysmal for a long time.
yeah and some of the usual suspects want to blame the system. I think we all agree the Flyers hopefully will be better defensively next year but Bryzgalov allowed too many WTF goals this past season. Every bad goal it was something. The excuses became pretty laughable during the season.
I realize the goalie position is heavily scrutinized around here, I get it. But Bryzgalov needs to be better. I dont care what hes paid. It doesnt matter. see the puck. stop the puck. not asking for much.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
i find the whole bryz situation quite funny when it comes to his performance vs. the teams D.

somehow it is ok how he did given the astronomical salary he gets, yet Leighton recieved nothing in terms of similar support.

Bryz=not his fault..D`s problem
Leights=all his fault, team carried him...

never gets old the laff this situation we are in.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yeah and some of the usual suspects want to blame the system. I think we all agree the Flyers hopefully will be better defensively next year but Bryzgalov allowed too many WTF goals this past season. Every bad goal it was something. The excuses became pretty laughable during the season.
I realize the goalie position is heavily scrutinized around here, I get it. But Bryzgalov needs to be better. I dont care what hes paid. It doesnt matter. see the puck. stop the puck. not asking for much.
Yeah. It's not like he was getting lit up nonstop on horrendous breakdowns on every play resulting in odd man rushes and cross crease passes. A lot of the goals he let in were completely on him. The type of goals that wouldn't have been prevented if we had Weber, Pronger magically recovered, Timonen drank from the fountain of youth, and Couturier was on the ice...the kind of goals that went in because Bryz just flat out blew it. For a while the only reliable defense that could have totally bailed out Bryz would have been one that allowed 0 shots on net; that's not reasonable.

I'm willing to chalk it up to just one bad year, with a hilariously long adjustment period; I think most fans are. But if he plays in space cadet mode and costs the team games for any extended period next season the collective fan rage will wither him.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
i find the whole bryz situation quite funny when it comes to his performance vs. the teams D.

somehow it is ok how he did given the astronomical salary he gets, yet Leighton recieved nothing in terms of similar support.

Bryz=not his fault..D`s problem
Leights=all his fault, team carried him...

never gets old the laff this situation we are in.

I'm not excusing Bryz's play, but the 2 situations are not comparable. Leighton played in front of a defense that still had Chris Pronger playing 25+ minutes a night, and had Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Simon Gagne, and Darroll Powe, 4 extremely good defensively responsible forwards.

Bryz's play needs to get better, but the situations are not comparable.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Broad Street Elite

This conversation is both unique and stimulating. I wonder if we will all agree at the end of it.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This conversation is both unique and stimulating. I wonder if we will all agree at the end of it.
This is the one. I can feel it.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Yeah. It's not like he was getting lit up nonstop on horrendous breakdowns on every play resulting in odd man rushes and cross crease passes. A lot of the goals he let in were completely on him. The type of goals that wouldn't have been prevented if we had Weber, Pronger magically recovered, Timonen drank from the fountain of youth, and Couturier was on the ice...the kind of goals that went in because Bryz just flat out blew it. For a while the only reliable defense that could have totally bailed out Bryz would have been one that allowed 0 shots on net; that's not reasonable.

I'm willing to chalk it up to just one bad year, with a hilariously long adjustment period; I think most fans are. But if he plays in space cadet mode and costs the team games for any extended period next season the collective fan rage will wither him.
yeah and if you read in between the lines with Holmgren's after season comments I dont think Holmgren was impressed. he wasnt good at all last season outside of that stretch in March where he played out of his mind and against NJ in round 2.
I am not expecting him to put up .950 all year like he did in March. But if we go into another season where we need to score 4 goals to win every night then its going to be a long season.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:32 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Our front 5 didn't drag Bryz down the majority of the time.

It was quite the opposite.

Funny how he played March just fine with the exact same team in front of him.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:18 PM
CSKA1974

Bryz opened a goalie school in UFA (Russia)

I was surprized to not find Bryz thread on the first 4 pages of forum.

As reported by "Salavat Ulaev" web site (http://www.hcsalavat.ru/), Bryzgalov opened his annual goalie school for children.

Below is the excerpt from his press conference:

"Sport is the health of the nation. We must take care of echology and our children's future.

I am very happy that my friends supported my idea of this school for young keepers. I remember, that as a child, I dreamt of Patrick Roy advising me and coaching me.

Our objective to work on technique, discuss and disect different game situations. Will pay some attention to psychologic preparation. So, in nut shell, the camp will be very saturated."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18162-19.jpg‎ (347.9 KB, 6 views)

Old
07-17-2012, 12:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Does anybody know if Bryz is still overweight/fat/too muscular? That was the claim by one of the posters on here who said dumbass McCrossin told him to put on more mass which limited his lateral mobility etc. or so it is suspected.

If we go into lockout he may have more time to shed it like Luke Schenn supposedly needs to do or just get even fatter...

Old
07-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Our front 5 didn't drag Bryz down the majority of the time.

It was quite the opposite.

Funny how he played March just fine with the exact same team in front of him.
I will never say that Bryzgalov was not poor during the first half of the season. But I personally believe that he just gave up playing once the defense gave up on him. It was quite shocking just how bad we were. I would go back and point it out, but I can't be bothered.

I remember several instances of both defensemen sitting 10 out in front of the net, when the puck was in behind Bryz. I also remember Bryz fending off Stamkos behind the net, while trying to block a pass to st Louis in front all alone. That was the time when instead of blasting Bryz for giving up on the play, I actually sympathized with what he was putting up with.

Quote:
Does anybody know if Bryz is still overweight/fat/too muscular? That was the claim by one of the posters on here who said dumbass McCrossin told him to put on more mass which limited his lateral mobility etc. or so it is suspected.

If we go into lockout he may have more time to shed it like Luke Schenn supposedly needs to do or just get even fatter...
It was quoted by 3 reputable media outlets if I remember correctly. Bryz did come into camp significantly heavier than he had been in previous years too. He's always been a large goaltender, but not that big. I would guess that when he was benched around the outdoor game and all-star game, it gave him a little time to drop some weight.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

I haven't heard anything mentioned in the media. I would think if this was true there would have been a big deal over him coming into camp too large. I don't buy it.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Paging BC16 to the thread

Old
07-17-2012, 02:46 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Paging BC16 to the thread
A bit off topic, but it reminded me of this:

Old
07-17-2012, 02:48 PM
phillyfanatic

I still contend that Bryz first year could have been predicted. Look at the stats - completely understandable. He was horrible to start (new team, new system, pressure of the contract, media, etc.) He was horrible while HBO is following him around. He wins back the starting job, he goes on to win player of the month honours. I am not writing him off yet

October, 4-4-1, 3.16 .880 (New team, new system, etc)
November, 4-1-1 2.52 .918
December, 6-3-1, 3.20 .878 (HBO following him around, media and fans turn on him)
January, 4-2-2, 2.67, .912 (Wins job back)
February, 4-3-1, 2.28, .909
March, 10-2-1, 1.43, .947 (NHL Player of the month)

Post All Star: 15-6-3, 1.84. .929 with 5 shutouts

Old
07-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Does anybody know if Bryz is still overweight/fat/too muscular? That was the claim by one of the posters on here .....
was this ever proven to be true ? i believe it was just that: a claim.

he sure looked to be the correct weight/trim/nimble in March

Old
07-17-2012, 03:54 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Hopefully this guy bought himself a shrink over the postseason.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
was this ever proven to be true ? i believe it was just that: a claim.

he sure looked to be the correct weight/trim/nimble in March
Well BC16 will have to confirm...I do believe he was the poster that offered some credible insight as has been noted with the APB

Paging Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard ???

Old
07-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I still contend that Bryz first year could have been predicted. Look at the stats - completely understandable. He was horrible to start (new team, new system, pressure of the contract, media, etc.) He was horrible while HBO is following him around. He wins back the starting job, he goes on to win player of the month honours. I am not writing him off yet

October, 4-4-1, 3.16 .880 (New team, new system, etc)
November, 4-1-1 2.52 .918
December, 6-3-1, 3.20 .878 (HBO following him around, media and fans turn on him)
January, 4-2-2, 2.67, .912 (Wins job back)
February, 4-3-1, 2.28, .909
March, 10-2-1, 1.43, .947 (NHL Player of the month)

Post All Star: 15-6-3, 1.84. .929 with 5 shutouts
Thanks for the breakdown. Given the slagging he takes, it's interesting that even in his worst two months, he had a .500 record or better!

If we get the Nov-Jan-Feb-March version, we'll be just fine. Bryz really stood tall in the Devils' series, refusing to give up on a team that was falling apart physically before his eyes, and while playing hurt himself. He also bent, but did not break, vs. the mighty Pens. He should have earned a lot of props for that, but, hey, it is Philly....

Old
07-17-2012, 04:24 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

nothing will change this year. there are people that hate him and people that don't. the haters exaggerate how bad he was without acknowledging a goalies confidence with the team around him affects his play. it was all about that cap hit which isn't even that bad although it might be astronomical by the end of this summer but if thats the case just be glad were not minnesota. I think he recovered and played well on a team that was used to not playing much defense and just shoving pronger in there for 25 minutes a game to hide the mutations. we will now have to deal with being mutants cause pronger aint comin back. (although i pray every night) at least carla will look more natural when we play tampa and he turns the puck over 50 times a game. Byz'll be fine. he's one of the best goalies in the NHL. The flyers might not be though.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Nobody hates him. People just hate bad goaltending, which is something Bryz provided in abundance last year.

Closed Thread