HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "All Things NYC" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2705
In the chance there's ever a warrant for your arrest, just avoid coming to the States on a weekend since you won't get arraigned until Monday. I also doubt there will ever be one since I doub't they want to waste money tracking down a Canadian.

07-16-2012, 04:18 PM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Pretty sure there will be a warrant issued for your arrest. However, they are not going to contact Canadian authorities to turn you over. If you do return to the states, you might get stopped at customs, might not. However, if you do get through and then get in trouble here, say you get into a fight or something, then you could have a problem and may find yourself sitting in jail for a night or two.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
In the chance there's ever a warrant for your arrest, just avoid coming to the States on a weekend since you won't get arraigned until Monday. I also doubt there will ever be one since I doub't they want to waste money tracking down a Canadian.
That's what I thought, but you never know, and having a rap sheet in the States is something I'd rather avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Pretty sure there will be a warrant issued for your arrest. However, they are not going to contact Canadian authorities to turn you over. If you do return to the states, you might get stopped at customs, might not. However, if you do get through and then get in trouble here, say you get into a fight or something, then you could have a problem and may find yourself sitting in jail for a night or two.
Thanks for your answer. If I do get a warrant, next time I am coming to New York, first thing I am doing is definitely taking care of it. Hopefully they let me cross the border so I can take care of it...

Old
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The first thing I'd advise you to do is ask this question on a legal website and not a hockey website.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Hey guys, I need an important question answered and figured I could get some help here.

Back in May, I visited your lovely city for a week. My Canadian ways led me to drink a beer in public, and evidently, I got caught by NYPD and was issued an open container ticket. I know, not too smart.

Anyhow, I was told by the officers that all I had to do was mail a money order ($25) and I was good. I then enjoyed my stay in New York. Fast forward to now, and I remember about this. I completely forgot to pay the fine and I have a court appearance scheduled on July 25th. Evidently, I cannot make it there. I'd love to pay the fine, but apparently I only had 10 days after the incident to do that (plead guilty).

The thing is, I did not have any ID on me and the officer wrote the address of my youth hostel on the summons. The youth hostel does not have my real address as I am not the one who booked the hostel. They have my name and DOB, but that's all.

I'm just weighting my options right now. Do I still try to pay it via mail and hope that they accept the (extremely) late guilt plea/fine payment? Do I let it go, hoping they're gonna dismiss the case since they literally have no way to contact me/find me? Or is there something else I can do?

Thanks a lot to those who can help!
Why don't you call the City and ask? It's probably better to get this thing dealt with, rather than leave it (there are additional penalties added the longer it's outstanding). And with the data exchange that goes on between police agencies, you never know what is being told about you.

By the way, you were very lucky--until recently if you didn't have any identification on you there was a very good chance the police would take you down to central booking and put you through the system.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
The first thing I'd advise you to do is ask this question on a legal website and not a hockey website.
Because, obviously, me posting this here means I did not ask for advice on a legal website. I'm not an idiot, I know HF is not the best place to ask and I did ask on legal sites before, but I thought some fellow hockey fans might be able to help. Sorry for not giving you an extensive list of the places where I sought help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Why don't you call the City and ask? It's probably better to get this thing dealt with, rather than leave it (there are additional penalties added the longer it's outstanding). And with the data exchange that goes on between police agencies, you never know what is being told about you.

By the way, you were very lucky--until recently if you didn't have any identification on you there was a very good chance the police would take you down to central booking and put you through the system.
Thanks for answering. I definitely planned to call the clerk and try and figure this out, their hours don't make it easy for me to do so but I'll find a way, you're 100% right.

I know I got lucky, although to be honest, I dealt with the situation (as it happened) the best way possible. The officers were very friendly despite my offense and I was able to get on their good side quick enough. Definitely a lesson well learned though.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Thanks for answering. I definitely planned to call the clerk and try and figure this out, their hours don't make it easy for me to do so but I'll find a way, you're 100% right.

I know I got lucky, although to be honest, I dealt with the situation (as it happened) the best way possible. The officers were very friendly despite my offense and I was able to get on their good side quick enough. Definitely a lesson well learned though.
I'm sure you're a charming guy and it certainly helps to be nice to NYPD, but a big reason why they have become kinder and gentler is because the City has gotten sued recently by several tourists who didn't have such nice encounters with the system when they forgot their ID in their hotels. NYC wants/needs y'all to have a nice time and getting thrown in jail for such a minor offense doesn't add to the experience!

In any case, I'm sure there's a way to get the summons cleared without coming back. Good luck tracking it down!

Old
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Because, obviously, me posting this here means I did not ask for advice on a legal website. I'm not an idiot, I know HF is not the best place to ask and I did ask on legal sites before, but I thought some fellow hockey fans might be able to help. Sorry for not giving you an extensive list of the places where I sought help.

Silly me for pointing that out because you've obviously used stellar judgement so far.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
rambler725

Does anyone know if there is a physical madison square garden box office open during the summer months??

Old
07-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler725 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a physical madison square garden box office open during the summer months??
Nope. The whole arena, including the entrance is closed off

Old
07-19-2012, 07:51 PM
RayP

Any suggestions on where or how to find an apartment to rent for like a month? Not looking for anything fancy, and really don't need much other than a bed, private shower/bath, and internet connection in a safe area, near Manhattan. Any advice?

Old
07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Any suggestions on where or how to find an apartment to rent for like a month? Not looking for anything fancy, and really don't need much other than a bed, private shower/bath, and internet connection in a safe area, near Manhattan. Any advice?
Probably craigslist. They often have people looking to sublet. I know a girl who is spending July in Columbia and August in Hungary, she always sublets whenever she is out of town (or at least tries to). I can check with her to see if her place is available. When do you need it?

Old
07-19-2012, 08:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
what's your budget?

07-19-2012, 08:56 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler725 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Nope. The whole arena, including the entrance is closed off
The main box office in the lobby is closed off but they have a temporary box office set up just beyond the steps of the lobby set up until the arena reopens. I picked up the Cornell - Michigan tix there back in June.

07-20-2012, 01:31 PM
RayP

Quote:
Probably craigslist. They often have people looking to sublet. I know a girl who is spending July in Columbia and August in Hungary, she always sublets whenever she is out of town (or at least tries to). I can check with her to see if her place is available. When do you need it?
Only thing that worries me about that, is I had a buddy who did that and he got screwed over and rented an apartment that basically didn't exist. I want to say he uses VRBO, which would be far more reputable than Craigslist, as it is more policed. That us unless Craigslist is with rentals and stuff and I just don't know...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
what's your budget?
Not really sure. Maybe $2Kish if that could get us in a safe area? Could go beyond that if we had to, but would think something basic around that would be doable, if not even less.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:08 PM
patnyrnyg

Craigslist can be shady. I know my friend advertises her place on a site that I believe is exclusively for Sublets, think it is through one of the big real estate companies, but I am not sure. I will ask her.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:44 PM
RayP

Quote:
Craigslist can be shady. I know my friend advertises her place on a site that I believe is exclusively for Sublets, think it is through one of the big real estate companies, but I am not sure. I will ask her.
If you could pass that along, that'd be great.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
You can try:

Douglas Elliman www.elliman.com

Brown Harris Stevens www.brownharrisstevens.com

These are two of the largest and most reputable real estate brokers in NYC. I work with both of them but not in rentals so I can't give you any direct referrals.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:48 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
asked, she said she just advertises on craigslist and facebook, usually gets multiple responses and then picks one.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:18 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
You can try:

Douglas Elliman www.elliman.com

Brown Harris Stevens www.brownharrisstevens.com

These are two of the largest and most reputable real estate brokers in NYC. I work with both of them but not in rentals so I can't give you any direct referrals.
Will definitely look into, thanks.

Quote:
asked, she said she just advertises on craigslist and facebook, usually gets multiple responses and then picks one.
Craigslist scares me, with no guarantees and all... but thanks anyways.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
patnyrnyg

I don't blame you.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:03 AM
NYR Viper

Alright guys, I need help.

My girlfriend and I are meeting a friend in The City and I will be coming in from NJ as I live in PA. I am wondering a couple of things:

1) what should we do? Neither of us are from The City. I was thinking The Met as it may rain?

2) How do I get there?

Old
07-27-2012, 10:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Alright guys, I need help.

My girlfriend and I are meeting a friend in The City and I will be coming in from NJ as I live in PA. I am wondering a couple of things:

1) what should we do? Neither of us are from The City. I was thinking The Met as it may rain?

2) How do I get there?
The Met is fun.

The MoMA might be better (although it costs more)

To get to get to the Met (I assume you're coming into Penn Station or the Port Authority), you can take the B train from Times Square to 81 street and then either take the crosstown bus through the part and get off at 5th ave and walk three block north to the Met. Or walk through the park which is a great walk that goes by Belvedere Castle and by Cleopatra's Needle and the back of Met.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2705
MoMA is definitely better.

I'm not into art, but the MoMA is incredible.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The Met is fun.

The MoMA might be better (although it costs more)
I thought the MoMA was also a suggested donation?

Closed Thread