HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

~~ 2012 HFNHL Free Agency ~~

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2012, 03:24 PM
  #76
PasiK
Registered User
 
PasiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Paimio, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to PasiK
What is the case with FA STOA? .. RFA or UFA?

PasiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
  #77
SPG
Registered User
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utica, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
We're not talking about the NHL FA process, we're talking about he HFNHL FA process. They're vastly different.

Any time theres confusion in tr rules, we take a 'GM's should have done their own research better' approach. These RFA's were listed as such on the website in more than one place.

It seems to me that if they have received offers more than their NHL contracts and acceptable to sign, they should sign like any other FA would in round 1.
I see your point of view, but at the same time we've seen many RFAs wait until beyond the first round without signing because they didnt get an offer thrown their way worth putting their signature on. Seems like this would be the case here, wouldn't it? Unless they somehow re-sign with their current team in the meantime?

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:41 PM
  #78
Dempsey
Registered User
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
I see your point of view, but at the same time we've seen many RFAs wait until beyond the first round without signing because they didnt get an offer thrown their way worth putting their signature on.
Thank you. And that would be fair. But I personally put forward two very good offers on my two RFAs. If no other team put in an offer close to mine, I would hope they re-sign fairly like any RFA would at this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Unless they somehow re-sign with their current team in the meantime?
I guess we'll just wait and see...I just would like to see my RFA's dealt with on an even and fair playing field with the other RFA's.

I know for a fact that offers have been made on them that are easily good enough to have them sign for round 1, and so they should.

Historically, many RFA's wait until round 2 for a better offer, but that should not be the case here because very good offers have been made. If other teams didn't notice that these players were RFA's, that's unfortunate for them, but it is up to the GM to research the players they bid on. To have a bunch of teams jump on this "new batch" of RFA's with offers that would be much different than their original round 1 offers would have been, would not be fair.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:02 PM
  #79
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Thank you. And that would be fair. But I personally put forward two very good offers on my two RFAs. If no other team put in an offer close to mine, I would hope they re-sign fairly like any RFA would at this time of year.

I guess we'll just wait and see...I just would like to see my RFA's dealt with on an even and fair playing field with the other RFA's.

I know for a fact that offers have been made on them that are easily good enough to have them sign for round 1, and so they should.

Historically, many RFA's wait until round 2 for a better offer, but that should not be the case here because very good offers have been made. If other teams didn't notice that these players were RFA's, that's unfortunate for them, but it is up to the GM to research the players they bid on. To have a bunch of teams jump on this "new batch" of RFA's with offers that would be much different than their original round 1 offers would have been, would not be fair.
I'm not actually sure what transpired in tersm of the communications that went out, but the agents basically have to use their judgement sometimes in situations like this, to ensure the player gets the best offer possible. If for some reason, certain players weren't referenced in the same way as other RFA's, seems to make sense to keep it on an even keel and let all teams get a clear understanding of who is available. And if a better offer comes in round 2, we'll know they made the right choice, because there were teams out there willing to pay more. If there isn't a better offer, you're no worse off. In fact, if the player misses out on the first round offer because the initial offering team looked else where, you might be in a better situation.

But basically, when guys hit the RFA market, you have to know they are going to get a long look and you have to resign yourself to to be satisfied regardless of the outcome. You must have looked at the compensation chart and figured what threshold you'd match, and other wise, be happy to take the higher comp if a team went beyond that threshold, which just means you get better draft picks back.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:13 PM
  #80
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Thank you. And that would be fair. But I personally put forward two very good offers on my two RFAs. If no other team put in an offer close to mine, I would hope they re-sign fairly like any RFA would at this time of year.



I guess we'll just wait and see...I just would like to see my RFA's dealt with on an even and fair playing field with the other RFA's.

I know for a fact that offers have been made on them that are easily good enough to have them sign for round 1, and so they should.

Historically, many RFA's wait until round 2 for a better offer, but that should not be the case here because very good offers have been made. If other teams didn't notice that these players were RFA's, that's unfortunate for them, but it is up to the GM to research the players they bid on. To have a bunch of teams jump on this "new batch" of RFA's with offers that would be much different than their original round 1 offers would have been, would not be fair.
What research? The league put out an official list of available players. That was the most up to date information. How were we supposed to know that there were other players available? Were we supposed to ask the agents about every player?

You knew about them because they were your players. It wasn't research. I research players before I bid on them, I don't research every player in the league in case the agents forgot to add some. Don't make it out like you did something special and deserve credit or that somebody else failed to do the necessary work. You had information that nobody else did...you knew you didn't sign the players. We had no way of knowing that. For all we knew, the players were signed, hence the reason they were not on the official free agent list.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:13 PM
  #81
HFNHL PIT GM
The Darth of Tytan
 
HFNHL PIT GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
RFA offers suck and the GM's that make them are the suckiest suckers in suckitan.

HFNHL PIT GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:17 PM
  #82
RedWingsLegacy
Registered User
 
RedWingsLegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by They call me Tytan View Post
RFA offers suck and the GM's that make them are the suckiest suckers in suckitan.
Lol still bitter much :p

RedWingsLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:22 PM
  #83
Dempsey
Registered User
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I'm not actually sure what transpired in tersm of the communications that went out, but the agents basically have to use their judgement sometimes in situations like this, to ensure the player gets the best offer possible. If for some reason, certain players weren't referenced in the same way as other RFA's, seems to make sense to keep it on an even keel and let all teams get a clear understanding of who is available. And if a better offer comes in round 2, we'll know they made the right choice, because there were teams out there willing to pay more. If there isn't a better offer, you're no worse off. In fact, if the player misses out on the first round offer because the initial offering team looked else where, you might be in a better situation.

But basically, when guys hit the RFA market, you have to know they are going to get a long look and you have to resign yourself to to be satisfied regardless of the outcome. You must have looked at the compensation chart and figured what threshold you'd match, and other wise, be happy to take the higher comp if a team went beyond that threshold, which just means you get better draft picks back.
A reasonable enough argument. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but I have a point. Releasing a fresh new batch of RFA's to the league for round 2 is not what I would call "even keel" with the rest of the RFA's.

But, I'm not going to win, and the arguments made against my points have been respectful and well thought out up to this point, so I'll withdraw my argument and move on. Thanks.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:33 PM
  #84
Dempsey
Registered User
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
What research? The league put out an official list of available players. That was the most up to date information. How were we supposed to know that there were other players available? Were we supposed to ask the agents about every player?

You knew about them because they were your players. It wasn't research. I research players before I bid on them, I don't research every player in the league in case the agents forgot to add some. Don't make it out like you did something special and deserve credit or that somebody else failed to do the necessary work. You had information that nobody else did...you knew you didn't sign the players. We had no way of knowing that. For all we knew, the players were signed, hence the reason they were not on the official free agent list.
The moment my RFA's were left off the list, this was not going to be a fair situation, either for me or for the rest of you guys. I'm just stating my side. Yes, there are two sides and I had a right to be heard. It was discussed and I'm going to let it go.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:03 AM
  #85
PasiK
Registered User
 
PasiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Paimio, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to PasiK
No more FA rumors???

PasiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:07 AM
  #86
flyershfnhl
Registered User
 
flyershfnhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Spain
Posts: 1,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to flyershfnhl
Quote:
Originally Posted by They call me Tytan View Post
RFA offers suck and the GM's that make them are the suckiest suckers in suckitan.
indeed ...alot of people from Suckitan country...and from the capital city of Suckitan


Last edited by flyershfnhl: 07-17-2012 at 05:14 AM.
flyershfnhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:32 AM
  #87
Ohio Jones
Moderator
Jays Hipster/Elitist
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mission to civilize
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by They call me Tytan View Post
RFA offers suck and the GM's that make them are the suckiest suckers in suckitan.
I'm curious as to why...

You've got a threshold where you're comfortable signing the guy, ad beyond which you'd prefer the compensation. Pretty easy, really. If it feels too risky, sign the guy before July 1st.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:24 PM
  #88
HFNHL PIT GM
The Darth of Tytan
 
HFNHL PIT GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
I'm curious as to why...

You've got a threshold where you're comfortable signing the guy, ad beyond which you'd prefer the compensation. Pretty easy, really. If it feels too risky, sign the guy before July 1st.

because it is poaching and not only rarely works, it drives up player costs because GM's think they are being smart and working the system.


and just because i dont want to sign a guy at a particular rate, doesnt mean i prefer the compensation.


if you want someone else's player, make a trade offer. if the GM refuses to negotiate then I would agree with the RFA route as a leverage strategy to make a deal.


without a prior attempt at a trade offer, i find RFA offers to be hostile with no other motivation other than to aggravate because unless its an outrageous offer, it will be matched.

HFNHL PIT GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:47 PM
  #89
Dryden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dryden Send a message via Skype™ to Dryden
hardest thing I've said in about a decade. I pretty much agree with him. rarely happens in NHL now

Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:06 PM
  #90
MatthewFlames
Registered User
 
MatthewFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America
Posts: 3,047
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by They call me Tytan View Post
because it is poaching and not only rarely works, it drives up player costs because GM's think they are being smart and working the system.


and just because i dont want to sign a guy at a particular rate, doesnt mean i prefer the compensation.


if you want someone else's player, make a trade offer. if the GM refuses to negotiate then I would agree with the RFA route as a leverage strategy to make a deal.


without a prior attempt at a trade offer, i find RFA offers to be hostile with no other motivation other than to aggravate because unless its an outrageous offer, it will be matched.
Well, blame the CBA. Its da rules. If you don't sign a player I get a shot at him

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:01 PM
  #91
HFNHL PIT GM
The Darth of Tytan
 
HFNHL PIT GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFlames View Post
Well, blame the CBA. Its da rules. If you don't sign a player I get a shot at him

well since you are one of the founding fathers of Suckitan, i am not surprised!

HFNHL PIT GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
  #92
HFNHL Commish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Downingtown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
LOL...I can't ever turn my back on you children, can I?

HFNHL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:31 PM
  #93
MatthewFlames
Registered User
 
MatthewFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America
Posts: 3,047
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by They call me Tytan View Post
well since you are one of the founding fathers of Suckitan, i am not surprised!
Yes. This is true. Never be surprised by my loyalty to the 'company' unless this is a financial debate.

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:51 PM
  #94
HFNHL PIT GM
The Darth of Tytan
 
HFNHL PIT GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFlames View Post
Yes. This is true. Never be surprised by my loyalty to the 'company' unless this is a financial debate.

its ok brother, you are still on my christmas card list.

HFNHL PIT GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
  #95
MatthewFlames
Registered User
 
MatthewFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America
Posts: 3,047
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by They call me Tytan View Post
its ok brother, you are still on my christmas card list.

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
  #96
Ohio Jones
Moderator
Jays Hipster/Elitist
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mission to civilize
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,542
vCash: 500
Enough of this playful banter! I, who submitted zero bids likely to win, want to know the results! .

Kidding of course, guys - take all the time you need. It is summer, after all, and you are allowe to have lives.

But really, isn't it all about me?

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:17 AM
  #97
MatthewFlames
Registered User
 
MatthewFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America
Posts: 3,047
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Enough of this playful banter! I, who submitted zero bids likely to win, want to know the results! .

Kidding of course, guys - take all the time you need. It is summer, after all, and you are allowe to have lives.

But really, isn't it all about me?
Jon has, as usual, done his amazing job getting through the first round. I however said I would do the UDFA etc. and post and I apologize that I haven't got to it yet.

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:03 AM
  #98
Ohio Jones
Moderator
Jays Hipster/Elitist
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mission to civilize
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFlames View Post
Jon has, as usual, done his amazing job getting through the first round. I however said I would do the UDFA etc. and post and I apologize that I haven't got to it yet.
Tsk. Not even married yet and already getting all slack about priorities.

It's just sad, man.


Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:22 PM
  #99
MatthewFlames
Registered User
 
MatthewFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America
Posts: 3,047
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Tsk. Not even married yet and already getting all slack about priorities.

It's just sad, man.

pfffffft

To be honest I need to slow things down here or we'll start simming before December, especially with ratings almost done.

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
  #100
Canuck09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFlames View Post
pfffffft

To be honest I need to slow things down here or we'll start simming before December, especially with ratings almost done.
Sim God forbid!

Canuck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.