HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ways to increase scoring in the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Tony_Gallagher

vCash:
Ways to increase scoring in the NHL

Results like tonight show how bad and dull this game really has become. I'm sure this topic has being done before but here's an idea I haven't heard. How about for every 25 goals a team scores they get an extra point in the standings? Think it would help open things up a little? If not, then make it two points in the standings or more until it does force teams to play a wide open offensive style.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Gallagher
Results like tonight show how bad and dull this game really has become. I'm sure this topic has being done before but here's an idea I haven't heard. How about for every 25 goals a team scores they get an extra point in the standings? Think it would help open things up a little? If not, then make it two points in the standings or more until it does force teams to play a wide open offensive style.
A sytem similar to that was brought up a couple days by a poster on these boards(can't remember who). IMO, that just makes the NHL's point system that much more of a joke...

Old
11-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Tony_Gallagher

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
A sytem similar to that was brought up a couple days by a poster on these boards(can't remember who). IMO, that just makes the NHL's point system that much more of a joke...
Understandable but what is more important. Having a point system that makes sense or teams going for it and playing a run and gun offense? I say screw the standings, anyway the game can be improved to bring more offense in should be the priority.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:42 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Understandable but what is more important. Having a point system that makes sense or teams going for it and playing a run and gun offense? I say screw the standings, anyway the game can be improved to bring more offense in should be the priority.
Running up scores should never be tolerated in professional sports, let alone rewarded.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Having a point system that makes sense. I'm a Canucks fan, one of the highest scoring teams, and I would hate it if this was implemented. If the league wants to increase goalscoring, make the goaltenders' equipment smaller. They basically only have to wave their hand in front of the puck and their overly large trapper will either catch it or steer it aside. Cut the goaltenders equipment back to what it was in the late '80's early '90's and I guarantee goal scoring will increase.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:12 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
If the NHL really wants to improve scoring, just call the damn obstruction penalties. It seems the only way to score in the NHL these days is by having big forwards park in front of the crease and have the puck deflect off their big frames and into the net; how exciting. Call the obstruction, and give small skating teams a chance.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The only way to get rid of all these defensive systems is to implement the 3 points for a win 1 point for a tie system, the way soccer does it, that may just open up the coaches and their defensive heads.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:24 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
The only way to get rid of all these defensive systems is to implement the 3 points for a win 1 point for a tie system, the way soccer does it, that may just open up the coaches and their defensive heads.
How does that help? Weaker teams will just put even more effort into trapping so that they get the 3pts

Old
11-30-2003, 08:24 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Not really. Then as soon as they get the lead they will trap anyways. Even more of a reason... preserve 3 points over 2.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:04 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Make it to where the team with the lowest number of goals wins.

Can you imagine your defense playing in front of the other teams net.

Dont change a thing. When the talent pool catches up with the expansion. The scoring will slowy rise as the average talent of the league goes up. Like gretzky said - the league goes through phases.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:13 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Yeah....and punish the superbly-coached defensive teams for winning games with their defensive systems? Maybe you ARE Tony Gallagher.

Where is the "rolleyes" smilie when you need it?

Old
11-30-2003, 10:14 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Yeah....and punish the superbly-coached defensive teams for winning games with their defensive systems?
While I don't like the idea of the system, I disagree with that kind of reaction. All systems are a product of the sporting environment. Everytime that environment changes, someone is always punished, so to speak.

When goalie equipment gets better, someone is punished, when there is more obstruction someone is punished, when there is LESS obstruction, someone is punished. When there are breakthroughs in nutrition, training methods, equipment, etc. someone is punished. When there are new systems being used someone is punished. Longer commercial breaks, hurried up faceoffs... someone is always punished. And I don't give a **** and neither should you, as long as it improves the game at large.

Nobody cares about the superbly-coached teams when we look at the bigger picture. What we want is the best hockey we can get. The great coaches will find ways to adjust, the one-trick ponies will die. That's the name of the game.

Personally, I like hockey just like it is, except the ridiculous goalie equipment, synergy sticks and crappy suspensions. The idea of four-on-four hockey for the entire game, dropping the red line... all those things make me want to throw up. I admire hockey for what it is and happen to like defensive hockey when intense.

But the pity card on the superbly-coached defensive teams? No thanks. Let's do what is best for the sport at large.

Old
11-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
But the pity card on the superbly-coached defensive teams?
No disagreement with that point. However, it is worth noting that more than a few fans of non-playoff/non-successful teams like to blur the lines between "dull" and "skilled". They propagandize that successful defensive style teams are somehow less talented, or undeserving of whatever accomplishment they may attain.

Bunk.

The team carrying around the Cup each June is the best team in the NHL, period. Regardless of the system they play.

Old
12-01-2003, 01:40 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Turn the nets around and play without goalies.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:44 AM
Steve L*

I agree, clamp down on goalie equipment, Giggys chest pad is just rediculous.

Goalie equipement has gone from protection to an aid to stop the puck. Reduce the pad size (with advances in technology they can surely make a smaller pad just as safe) and give out suspensions to anyone failing a random check, not just a minimal fine.

Then talented goalies will stop the puck, rather than the goalie with the biggest equipment.

A quick note is that Snows stats have gone from

2.31 GAA
.912 Sv%

to

3.45 GAA
.874 Sv%

Last edited by Steve L*: 12-01-2003 at 02:53 AM.
Old
12-01-2003, 04:04 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Forget that.
Have refs call obstruction and holding. Take out the instigator. Enforce stricter rules on goalie equipment (and sticks if they really think the padding can't protect them from today's faster shots).

I'd rather see goalies in smaller pads and slightly slower shots, then 100 MPH slappers that get absorbed into XXXXXL jerseys hiding 8 pillows.

Old
12-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Zhackpot

Enforce obstruction rules and hooking and holding and others as are already written.

Do not eliminate the red line or make the nets bigger or go to 4 on 4 hockey.

the only other thing that needs to be done besides calling the penalties as they occur is getting back to goalies wearing equipment for protection and not to aid in stopping the pucks.

Defencemen can't wear wide shin pads to help them block shots so why should goalies be any different?

Oh and make goalies live once they leave their crease. The tenders also tend to dish out hits these days and interfere with forwards with no recourse.

Old
12-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Personally, I think the game has become too micromanaged. Everything in the NHL these days is highly scrutinized from goaltending on out. Speaking of goaltending, I saw an interview with Andrew Raycroft, and he hit it on the head: goaltending today is VASTLY superior to goaltending from even 10 years ago. These guys are puck eating machines, and EVERY team has one. There are no slam dunks in the NHL anymore, especially when you consider the conservative styles so many teams play.

Old
12-01-2003, 11:33 AM
tmg

Quote:
Results like tonight show how bad and dull this game really has become.
Note that this was posted *one day after a 4-hat-trick night* (Orzagh, Morrison, Bondra, and Vrbata all netted three on Saturday). There were also no shutouts on either Saturday (10 games) or Sunday (6 games).

There's a time for complaining and a time to be content. And then there are people who still like to complain even when it is a time to be content.

Old
12-01-2003, 12:15 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
No disagreement with that point. However, it is worth noting that more than a few fans of non-playoff/non-successful teams like to blur the lines between "dull" and "skilled". They propagandize that successful defensive style teams are somehow less talented, or undeserving of whatever accomplishment they may attain.

Bunk.

The team carrying around the Cup each June is the best team in the NHL, period. Regardless of the system they play.
Definitly!

Old
12-01-2003, 04:09 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Increase scoring

Just some ideas

-Enforce penalties such as obstruction better
-Remove the goaltender immunity when they wander from the crease
-Since players are bigger than they used to be, make the dimesions of the rink slighty larger (proportionally, not euro wide)
-Make the nets larger, possibly proportional to the possible rink size increase suggested above.
-Here's a fun one, when a goaltender takes a penalty, make him serve it and make the penalized team play their back-up for 2 minutes (unless one is injuried previously)
-Restrictions on the upper body goaltender equipment as well (so Giguere doesnt look like the Stay Puff Marshmellow man and Snow like a cartoon robot)
-Remove instigator rule

IMO we really dont have to change anything, I love the game the way it is

Old
12-01-2003, 09:02 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP
-Remove the goaltender immunity when they wander from the crease
When somebody invents padding that will protect goaltenders from bodychecks, I might agree with this.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:11 PM
meehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
When somebody invents padding that will protect goaltenders from bodychecks, I might agree with this.
I'd rather goalies be "over-protected" then risk the stanley cup coming down to a matchup between Corey Schwab and Manny Legace(no disrespect to either goalie as they are both good backups).

Old
12-01-2003, 10:15 PM
OpinionatedMike

Y'know what......from sun up to sun down all that hockey fans seem to be interested in is changing the game, turning it around making it fun.

I'm so sick of this! Run and Gun systems were around and coaches thought hard about a system and made it work, are the coaches just all too damn stupid to come up with an interesting way to defeat the trap that we must do everything from, 4 minutes obstructions, no red line, no touch icing, 4-on-4, small goalie pads, ect.

Come on! Are people seriously that stupid, there are ways to break a system, that's what good coaches do they try and beat a system with a better system. Instead all we do is see media reporter, fan, and league offical sit around saying that the game is boring and we must change it.
Hate to break it to you, but players are coached better, they are in better shape, they are stronger, faster and have more skill, goalies are better, defence are better.....aren't the forwards? Maybe they've lost the ability to think on their skates.

It's amazing, if the media was to decide that a defence first system was a beautiful thing to watch, there are a large part of you that would sit and watch it and be amazed at how "chess-like" the game of hockey is and can be. What? You don't like chess? Prefer fast, hitting, rushing hockey.....why's that? Because you grew up watching the 80's? Well, it's not the 80's times change. Sit back and enjoy the beauty that is the trap, watch it, and learn in like no other, because if coaches did that instead of sitting on there ***** and complaining about it, and excepting it as "The ALMIGHTY", then I bet someone would of found a way to beat it.

There is nothing wrong with the game. Hockey is, in my opinion, the greatest sport around, nothing better, but if all your after is the speed, then I suggest downhill skiing, if all you want is hits, then rollarderby was a big hit. This is hockey, it may not be the 80's style, but it's still fun and enjoyable for those who can actully see the beauty in the trap.

Old
12-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Make the players serve the full 2 minutes for a penalty....even if the other team scores.

Closed Thread