HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Matt Shaw Appreciation Thread

Old
07-17-2012, 01:40 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensu View Post
just popping in to ask about Shaw, since I don't know one thing about him. How well was he liked and how well did he do in San Jose?

all I know is he's going to be running the PP and nothing else as of now that we know of.

thanks for answering in advance!
Er, we don't like Shaw at all. Maybe he'll work out better for you guys since he won't be running your defense, which he was awful at.

He ran a good PP here, but to be honest, it's kinda hard not to run a good PP when you have Dan Boyle manning the points.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:47 PM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Shaws responsibilities on New Jersey sounds like it is the PP. Shaw should do well in that role.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:53 PM
sharski

Quote:
just popping in to ask about Shaw, since I don't know one thing about him. How well was he liked and how well did he do in San Jose?

all I know is he's going to be running the PP and nothing else as of now that we know of.

if he is going to be running the PP and nothing else, I think he will be a great asset to New Jersey and it's a win-win... a PP-exclusive role puts both him and the team in the best position to succeed

Pros:
- can run a good PP... if the past season has taught the Sharks anything, it's that even talented special teams units can be very bad ones if they're not being coached right

Cons:
- too stubborn to realize his PK strategies don't work even when the disastrous results are blowing up in the team's face
- he seemed way in over his head when he had to take over for TMac as head coach for a bit... he seemed like he couldn't keep up with the pace of the game as the HC and overthought things (like the infamous timeout that was never called discussed earlier in this thread)

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
if he is going to be running the PP and nothing else, I think he will be a great asset to New Jersey and it's a win-win... a PP-exclusive role puts both him and the team in the best position to succeed

Pros:
- can run a good PP... if the past season has taught the Sharks anything, it's that even talented special teams units can be very bad ones if they're not being coached right

Cons:
- too stubborn to realize his PK strategies don't work even when the disastrous results are blowing up in the team's face
- he seemed way in over his head when he had to take over for TMac as head coach for a bit... he seemed like he couldn't keep up with the pace of the game as the HC and overthought things (like the infamous timeout that was never called discussed earlier in this thread)
High end PPs are more related to the personnel. The high end PPs need two elite playmakers. One forward and the PPQB. Coaching can help or hurt it, but it is a range of 3 to 4 percent up or down. You won't take a 15% PP to a 22% PP on coaching alone.

Unfortunately for the Devils, they aren't remotely close to having a high end PPQB. They need to find their next Neids or Rafalski and go from there.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:

All you need to know about him and being a assistant. Just read the thread, most coaches/players will get a few good luck in the future posts, shaw = zero of them.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiebrown View Post
Did you? Scott Stevens is now coaching our defense.
yes we fleeced yah. Since Stevens wasnt our property, we never lost him.

Shaw for Robinson was the deal.

Thats like trading us Koly for same handzus, but then signing Sutter with the capspace left by Kovy, and saying we didnt fleece you in the trade.

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote