HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Honest question: Do you guys miss Evgeni Nabokov?

Old
07-17-2012, 05:56 PM
NuxFan09

vCash: 500
Honest question: Do you guys miss Evgeni Nabokov?

I've been reading here and there comments about how the Sharks and Sharks fans aren't exactly content with Antti Niemi in goal right now. It got me thinking, do Sharks fans miss Nabokov at this point? He is without a doubt the best goaltender in Sharks history and I think the notion that he struggles in the playoffs is way overblown, although you guys, as Sharks fans, would know better than me, I guess. Overall, his career playoff GAA in the NHL is 2.29! His save % is .913 but it appears his save % was always low for your team because historically he just didn't face a ton of shots.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Just wanted to get your thoughts. He's one of my favourite goalies ever and personally, I'd love to see him back in teal.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
I've been reading here and there comments about how the Sharks and Sharks fans aren't exactly content with Antti Niemi in goal right now. It got me thinking, do Sharks fans miss Nabokov at this point? He is without a doubt the best goaltender in Sharks history and I think the notion that he struggles in the playoffs is way overblown, although you guys, as Sharks fans, would know better than me, I guess. Overall, his career playoff GAA in the NHL is 2.29! His save % is .913 but it appears his save % was always low for your team because historically he just didn't face a ton of shots.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Just wanted to get your thoughts. He's one of my favourite goalies ever and personally, I'd love to see him back in teal.
We all miss Nabby (for the most part).

But it was time to move on. I don't regret it.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Slipstar

No. He was mean to Demers.

Slipstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I miss him, of course. But I also think that it was the right decision to move on.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Like a baby misses its mother. Wahhh

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:15 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

For the most part we miss Nabber here as he won ROW and has a long and generally positive history with the team.

With that said, he was not able to get us a cup as a result of his playoff performance. I'll grant you it's a team sport and he really can't be blamed for playoff loses, it's just that he appeared to get out played by the other teams goalie in key games, etc. There was some question also about his being a better team player, i think DW may have even called him out at the end on this...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Yeah I miss him. Loads.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:21 PM
hockeyball

I think the main thing for me is I don't feel like Niemi 'fits in' for some reason. Nabby was a fan favorite, most beloved goalie in Sharks history (maybe debateable with Irbe) and was treated as such. We chanted his name almost every home game, we don't do that for Niemi.

Niemi is a decent goalie, and seems like a nice enough guy, but he's by no means ever going to be a fan favorite.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstar View Post
))))))))))

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Winky

I think having Nabby here at Niemi's cap would have been an upgrade these past 2 years.

I don't feel the problem with Nabby was ever his goaltending. It was the price of his goaltending. I think DW would have gladly offered him 0.5m or 1.5m or whatever he signed with Detroit for. But at the time, that wasn't what Nabby wanted.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
I think having Nabby here at Niemi's cap would have been an upgrade these past 2 years.

I don't feel the problem with Nabby was ever his goaltending. It was the price of his goaltending. I think DW would have gladly offered him 0.5m or 1.5m or whatever he signed with Detroit for. But at the time, that wasn't what Nabby wanted.
I wouldn't have minded re-signing Nabby for 4-4.5, but it sounded like DW closed that door without even negotiating.
On the other hand, it does seem like the players prefer Niemi a lot more. They constantly talk about how he's one of the hardest workers and how fun it is to play in front of him. They mentioned something along the lines of playing with a goaltender instead of playing in front of a goaltender. Nabby was always a bit of a loner (only hung out with Rick Bronwell), and the players never talked about him like they do about Niemi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstar View Post
And Vlasic.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:40 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Yup, I miss having a (relatively) consistent and dependable goalie between the pipes. With Niemi you never know if he's going to show up for that game or decide to take the night off. The uncertainty with him between the pipes really sucks as a fan.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:40 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

With Nabby our PK isnt 29th. Its probably late teens. His ability to stop the puck and hold on to it, is very important.

Long story short i miss himmmmmmmmmm (

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:44 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

I don't miss him at all. We had to move on. He certainly did well, but when those important playoff games were on the line, he let the worse and the most innocent pucks get by him. It also didn't help that he blamed his teammates for his faults (blaming Vlasic for not blocking that shot that went 5 hole with seconds left in the game). What good are you if you make the "big saves", when you can't make the pedestrian ones?

His time was done.

Nemo may not be a "fan favorite", but that doesn't matter.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:51 PM
NuxFan09

Assuming Niemi is not it, do the Sharks have a "goalie of the future" in the system? Greiss? Stalock? Sateri? Sexsmith? Do any of these guys have elite, franchise potential? Or, is Niemi in fact the guy between the pipes for the Sharks for the foreseeable future, even beyond his current contract term?

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

No not really.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
Greiss? Stalock? Sateri? Sexsmith? Do any of these guys have elite, franchise potential?
A bit early to tell if they have elite potential, but the general consensus is that the goalie of the future is one of Stalock or Sateri.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Matalvatz

To answer your question: YES, I miss Nabby a lot.

HOWEVER, I think if we had resigned him, he wouldn't have taken less than 4.5, and I feel that's REALLY stretching. Heck, he probably would have wanted 5, and that being considered I agree with not having resigned him. From what I've read on these boards, it sounded like DW never even opened up contract talks with him, so we'll never know.

The bottom line is, his cap hit on a new contract probably would have crippled this team going forward. However, I feel that with some of the acquisitions we've made these last couple of seasons on D, and a solid playoff powerplay (traditionally it's always tanked) Nabby would have gotten us there.

This is not taking away from Niemi. I think he's an excellent goaltender, except for his rebound control, and we just don't have the right personnel to play around that kind of netminder.

Matalvatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM

vCash: 50
YES - I miss Nabby and he is one of the favorite sharks of all time by fans. Nemo has been here 2 yrs now. I have not heard the Shark Tank chant his name yet. Nabby had his name chanted before EVERY game when his name was announced as the starter. And in the playoffs it was even louder and longer. Nemo doesnt fit but he is cheaper. The cards we have been dealt - I say trade Nemo and bring in one of the kids.

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Paperposts31

No, I dont really miss Nabby. He played pretty well his rookie year and seasons after that, but he proved to me he is not the goalie that can take us to the cup. And I hate how terrible he is down low. Always letting weak 5-hole shots in. Niemi can get us to the cup. He is a clutch goaltender making saves when we need them most. Nabby rarely did that. We need to improve our game in our own zone. Now that is terrible.

Paperposts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Yup, I miss having a (relatively) consistent and dependable goalie between the pipes. With Niemi you never know if he's going to show up for that game or decide to take the night off. The uncertainty with him between the pipes really sucks as a fan.

I felt the exact same way with Nabby in net, especially in the playoffs. His patented soft five-hole goal always seemed to be just one shot away.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:10 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

If we could have kept him for the money that he signed for with Detroit or for the contract he just got with the Islanders I would be very happy to still have him.

deekortiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:19 PM
krudmonk

We're in the same situation now with our current prettygoodbutnotgreat goalie. What's to miss?

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
We're in the same situation now with our current prettygoodbutnotgreat goalie. What's to miss?

Bingo.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Nemo = rebound king

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote