HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

lockout question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2012, 06:36 PM
  #1
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,789
vCash: 500
lockout question

if there is a lockout this year, and a deal is not reached, what happens come the 2013 draft?

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
  #2
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,042
vCash: 500
We're not there yet obviously so nobody knows for sure. The last time there was a draft lottery based on previous years results.

That would advantage our Habs of course.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
  #3
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
We're not there yet obviously so nobody knows for sure. The last time there was a draft lottery based on previous years results.

That would advantage our Habs of course.
Not sure how it's advantageous to any team unless its a perennial contender to have a draft lottery.

We're not a perennial contender at this point.

The previous years rankings had nothing to do with the draft lottery results. They literally picked balls at random.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
  #4
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
if there is a lockout this year, and a deal is not reached, what happens come the 2013 draft?
The Pens get 1st overall.

SeriousHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:08 PM
  #5
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,024
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Not sure how it's advantageous to any team unless its a perennial contender to have a draft lottery.

We're not a perennial contender at this point.

The previous years rankings had nothing to do with the draft lottery results. They literally picked balls at random.
Sorry, what?

If memory serves me, the Pens had the most balls in the 2005 lottery because of their finish in the previous 3 years from that draft.

CrAzYNiNe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:18 PM
  #6
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Not sure how it's advantageous to any team unless its a perennial contender to have a draft lottery.

We're not a perennial contender at this point.

The previous years rankings had nothing to do with the draft lottery results. They literally picked balls at random.
Not entirely true.

Balls were assigned to teams based on the average standing of the past 2 years. Worst teams were given 3 balls, average teams 2 and the bests 1.

So while it's true contender teams had more chance to draft very high than usual, the worst teams are still advantaged.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
  #7
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Not entirely true.

Balls were assigned to teams based on the average standing of the past 2 years. Worst teams were given 3 balls, average teams 2 and the bests 1.

So while it's true contender teams had more chance to draft very high than usual, the worst teams are still advantaged.
It seems I stand corrected.

Thanks for the quality info. I'm a little less stupid now

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:49 PM
  #8
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey
 
Pierre Dagenais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Not entirely true.

Balls were assigned to teams based on the average standing of the past 2 years. Worst teams were given 3 balls, average teams 2 and the bests 1.

So while it's true contender teams had more chance to draft very high than usual, the worst teams are still advantaged.
Edmonton again?

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:51 PM
  #9
Deaner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Not entirely true.

Balls were assigned to teams based on the average standing of the past 2 years. Worst teams were given 3 balls, average teams 2 and the bests 1.

So while it's true contender teams had more chance to draft very high than usual, the worst teams are still advantaged.
Not entirely true either.
A) Every team got one ball.
B) Teams received one extra ball for each season they missed the playoffs in the previous two seasons.
C) Teams that had the first overall pick in one of the two previous drafts lost one ball.

Bettman added a ridiculous caveat to C) to help his struggling pet franchise in Pittsburgh. Even though the Pens had the first overall pick in '03, it was acquired via trade from Florida, so they got to keep their three balls.

In the event of another lost season, and if they use the same system, 3-ball teams would be Leafs, Isles, Jets, Flames, Stars, Avs, Wild, Blue Jackets, Canes - 9 teams.

Deaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:53 PM
  #10
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Edmonton again?
Lockout or not...

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:54 PM
  #11
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
Not entirely true either.
A) Every team got one ball.
B) Teams received one extra ball for each season they missed the playoffs in the previous two seasons.
C) Teams that had the first overall pick in one of the two previous drafts lost one ball.

Bettman added a ridiculous caveat to C) to help his struggling pet franchise in Pittsburgh. Even though the Pens had the first overall pick in '03, it was acquired via trade from Florida, so they got to keep their three balls.

In the event of another lost season, and if they use the same system, 3-ball teams would be Leafs, Isles, Jets, Flames, Stars, Avs, Wild, Blue Jackets, Canes - 9 teams.
You see people, there's always someone better than you out there.

(thanks for the quality info!)

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.