HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jakob Silfverberg 2011/2012 Season Video

Old
07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Highlight reel videos aren't ever made to show a players puck possession ability.

If you watched his games you saw puck possession qualities.
This guy knows.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:12 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

Meh. I recall a pretty nice highlight package for that swiss guy who had a pretty good shot a couple of years ago.

Sure he looks good but I'll contain my excitement until I see how he does in the show.

StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:01 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayThirstyMyFriend View Post
Meh. I recall a pretty nice highlight package for that swiss guy who had a pretty good shot a couple of years ago.

Sure he looks good but I'll contain my excitement until I see how he does in the show.
The Swiss league is not the SEL. The SEL is a man's league and probably the second toughest league outside of the NHL (KHL, then SEL, then either SML or AHL, with AHL tough to gauge because it's more of a true development league). He looks very good, and his season was remarkable - all the more so when you consider his age. Skills are not going to be the barrier to his success. If Silfverberg fails to be an impact player in the NHL, it will be because of issues external to the game - character, opportunity, inability to adapt to NA (the environment more than the hockey).

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:06 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 50
Those are Daniel Alfredsson type numbers in the SEL

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:08 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Too bad he's only played one mediocre NHL game so far.
2 actually, pay attention!

Old
07-17-2012, 10:09 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Win more Hart trophies than Forsberg, more Norris' than Lidstrom, more career points than Sundin, more Vezina's than Lundqvist...
more stanley cups than Sundin or Lundqvist as well.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:13 PM
jordan7hm

I'd be more concerned about him if Ottawa didn't have two Swedish anchors on the team. I think that's a huge factor in problems bringing in these foreign guys. It's HARD to acclimatize yourself to a new country, new style of play, and new language. It's even harder when there's nobody around to lean on for support. (Example would be a guy like Kaigorodov (or any number of other KHL bust prospects) having nobody to support him in Ottawa or Bingo. Counter example - obviously different skill levels and situations - would be Malkin talking about how great Gonchar was in helping him come over, or how Karlsson lived with Alfy.) In Alfredsson (hopefully) and Karlsson, Silfverberg has two guys who can help him work through the process of becoming an NHL regular while also dealing with the massive culture shift.

As a foreign guy coming over, you need a good situation, a lot of maturity, a boatload of confidence, or enough skill that it doesn't matter. Hopefully more than one of those four elements. Silfverberg has the skill and the situation, and judging by his captaincy of Brynas probably the maturity as well. And his decision to stay in Sweden last year despite being pressured to come over indicates he has the confidence as well.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:22 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

also has Lehner and I believe Regin can speak Swedish.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:36 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
also has Lehner and I believe Regin can speak Swedish.
Lehner isn't in Ottawa. Regin is in too similar a position as Silfverberg to be counted on as support.

I'd say that's actually a bit of a concern. I think we would do well to sign an older Swedish player to play in Bingo given how heavy the pipeline is with those guys. There aren't a lot of older Swedish guys who want to play AHL hockey though. Maybe somebody with a lot of experience in the SEL who wants to come back over to this side of the pond for one of those 200k+ contracts.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:13 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I don't think that there is a huge adjustment going from Sweden to Canada.

It's the same climate, they all speak English as well. I'm sure having some paysanos here will be nice for him though.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:13 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
The Swiss league is not the SEL. The SEL is a man's league and probably the second toughest league outside of the NHL (KHL, then SEL, then either SML or AHL, with AHL tough to gauge because it's more of a true development league). He looks very good, and his season was remarkable - all the more so when you consider his age. Skills are not going to be the barrier to his success. If Silfverberg fails to be an impact player in the NHL, it will be because of issues external to the game - character, opportunity, inability to adapt to NA (the environment more than the hockey).
You may be right about the skill, but I was referring to the video which shows shots and I was comparing that to the video from that swiss player who also had/has a really good shot. Maybe SEL goalies are better than in the swiss league, but I doubt its by much.

StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote