HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Elliott Career Progression

Old
07-17-2012, 03:08 PM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
Just found this thread online from a couple of years ago.

Still think Elliot is a crappy goalie? He had the best save % and gaa in the league by quite a margin this past year. However, he also only played half the games so the jury is still out as to whether or not he can play a full season as #1 and remain on top of his game....
Nobody said he is "crappy", he is just average.

Additionally, any goalie in the league would put up similar numbers (if not better) in St. Louis.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
PKC*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
They also no overrated goalies better than anyone. *cough Luongo cough*
It's funny how he's the second most overrated goalie on his own team...

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:33 PM
playasRus

Elliott is a good 1b goalie. Will never be a 1a goalie but if your 1a goalie gets an injury, Elliott still gives you a change at a salvagable season.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:36 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Elliott is a good 1b goalie. Will never be a 1a goalie but if your 1a goalie gets an injury, Elliott still gives you a change at a salvagable season.
Except if that injury happens in the playoffs.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Give him credit where it's due... He put up good numbers...

On arguably the most defensively sound team in the league..

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:28 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Give him credit where it's due... He put up good numbers...

On arguably the most defensively sound team in the league..
A defensively sound team that got picked apart by LA.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:42 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
If you read the thread, the majority pointed out that he plays better when he isn't carrying the load. He played 38 games this season.
I'd say this.

He's a good tandem goalie. Luckily, so is Halak.

And I'm sorry, but good defensive teams can help your save % to an extent (limited extent), but Elliott's season this year was far more than the team he played on. He was lights out. He might well regress next year, but don't take that away from him. There have been a lot of great defensive teams over the years. There haven't been a lot of performances like the one Elliott put on this past season. Not just his overall save %, but his quality start metrics were off the charts as well. He gave his team a chance to win almost every game.

His season in Ottawa with Clouston was a very good example of how not to manage young goalies. He got frazzled and couldn't recover.

Also, playoffs. ugh. He'll come around though. Seasons like the one he just had buy you some rope.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:49 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Anecdotal. Doesn't do anything to change his point - the Blues were at the bottom of the league for shots against per 60 and goals against per 60.

The Kings underacheived during the regular season and then everything clicked right around when Sutter was hired.

07-18-2012, 05:09 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

high glove side, that is all.

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:16 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Canucks fans are annoying
being from BC i agree

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
didn't he suck in the playoffs? Like you know, when it counts.
(i like elliott, but he's got a ways to go)
Basically once he was 'the guy' (ie Halak was hurt and he had to play every game in the playoffs after).
Which goes back to the original point.

He is a great 1B/2 option... But never a solitary #1.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I see a lot of "he sucks in the playoffs": let's be fair, he was solid if unspectacular against San Jose.
Yeah he let in a few a few softies against the Kings but it should be said that the Kings were simply killing the entire St Louis team, not just the goalie. Saying that Elliott sucked in the playoffs without mentionning that the entire Blues team was like a deer in the headlights in round 2 makes it sound like Elliott is the reason St Louis lost, and that's far from the truth. He could have been better, but I don't think Hasek in his prime could have saved them.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:52 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I see a lot of "he sucks in the playoffs": let's be fair, he was solid if unspectacular against San Jose.
Yeah he let in a few a few softies against the Kings but it should be said that the Kings were simply killing the entire St Louis team, not just the goalie. Saying that Elliott sucked in the playoffs without mentionning that the entire Blues team was like a deer in the headlights in round 2 makes it sound like Elliott is the reason St Louis lost, and that's far from the truth. He could have been better, but I don't think Hasek in his prime could have saved them.
Completely disagree. The reason St. Louis unraveled in the playoffs is solely because of the soft, deflating goals that Elliott began to give up. It was bad enough that on the other end of the ice was a goalie who couldn't be beat, but when simple wrist shots were beating Elliott, the Blues knew they were finished and their play reflected.

It was EXACTLY how Ottawa looked playing in front of him near the end of his time here. He is a solid back-up but he doesn't have the mental fortitude to be a #1 goalie. He's as flaky and inconsistent as they get when the pressure is on.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Cowen Time

Yup. Nice guy, wish him well, but he hasn't shown he can handle the outright #1 label. I really hope his progression gets his there but last year did not show it.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Ed Wood

Elliott posted the best numbers of any goalie in the post WW2 era. Good coach for sure and a good system but a helluva lot of goalies in the past 60 plus years on fine defensive teams have failed to post numbers comparable to Elliotts. I'm not sure why so many people find it necessary to beliitle his season but I find it incredibly petty.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Elliott posted the best numbers of any goalie in the post WW2 era. Good coach for sure and a good system but a helluva lot of goalies in the past 60 plus years on fine defensive teams have failed to post numbers comparable to Elliotts. I'm not sure why so many people find it necessary to beliitle his season but I find it incredibly petty.
we just don't think it's sustainable for him. good for him hope he does it again.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:21 PM
GSG1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
high glove side, that is all.
Pretty much this. And he cracks under pressure. I'm amazed how he can put together stretches of brilliant play, but once it starts to fall apart, it really falls apart for him.

Despite the numbers, anyone who watches the Sens as much as we do should know Anderson is miles ahead of Brian Elliot.

GSG1165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:52 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Anecdotal. Doesn't do anything to change his point - the Blues were at the bottom of the league for shots against per 60 and goals against per 60.

The Kings underacheived during the regular season and then everything clicked right around when Sutter was hired.
what I'm saying is, it wasn't just Elliott, LA made the entire St. Louis team look stupid.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
That's the team that went on to destroy everyone in the playoffs and then win the cup, right?

Oh yeah

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
he doesn't suck compared to you or to me, but compared to the other goaltenders in the playoffs, he sucks. (meaning he lets in a few softies)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:01 AM
tony d
The franchise

I like Elliott and am glad to see him doing so well, hope he keeps it up.

07-20-2012, 09:02 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I would find it a lot more impressive if the other goalie didn't put up near identical numbers. To me, that speaks to the system. Any starting goalie in the NHL (minus Mason) would put up the numbers those two did under Hitchcock.

Or are we forgetting how many mediocre goalies have had career years under him. For chrissakes, Leclaire got NINE shutouts in Hitch's system.

The reason we belittle his accomplishments is that many of us are tired of hearing how great Brian Elliott is (he isn't) and how it was a mistake to get rid of him (it wasn't, unless you don't like winning in the playoffs, then he's the man for you).

Old
07-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Cowen Time

I don't know of any Sens fans that has ill wishes for Elliott. The sentiment I see is that fans are happy he has had success with the Blues, but are not ready to buy into that he is a legit #1 goalie based on a 38 game season where he had shared responsibilities, and had problems when he had to be the #1 in the playoff.

The Kings won the cup in convincing fashion, and a lot of that had to do with superior goal-keeping, and that was very apparent in the Kings-Blues series.

In Ottawa we saw Elliott have lights out stretches with the Sens and then crumble under the pressure of being the outright #1. Power to him if the success from last year ends up being a step on the road to allowing him to grab the #1 mantle. I am rooting for him to do that, and when he does it will be the first to acknowledge that, but he isn't there yet.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:09 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I would find it a lot more impressive if the other goalie didn't put up near identical numbers. To me, that speaks to the system. Any starting goalie in the NHL (minus Mason) would put up the numbers those two did under Hitchcock.

Or are we forgetting how many mediocre goalies have had career years under him. For chrissakes, Leclaire got NINE shutouts in Hitch's system.

The reason we belittle his accomplishments is that many of us are tired of hearing how great Brian Elliott is (he isn't) and how it was a mistake to get rid of him (it wasn't, unless you don't like winning in the playoffs, then he's the man for you).
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/7/17/goal...-ken-hitchcock

Cool story bro. Hitch makes a minor difference. Elliott was having a lights out season before he got there.

I could be wrong, and I'd like to see some numbers on this, but I have a feeling Leclaire's crazy season had a lot more to do with the fact he was an unknown with a certain level of talent. I don't have data on this but I have the feeling that type of goalie has the potential for a lot of shutouts / tons of quality starts early on in their career before regressing a bit to the norm as shooters figure them out.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:02 AM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/7/17/goal...-ken-hitchcock

Cool story bro. Hitch makes a minor difference. Elliott was having a lights out season before he got there.
Hitch was hired on November 6th. Elliott had started 6 *** games to that point so I guess your definition of a "having a lights out season" differs from mine.

The point isn't that Elliott can't play well in spurts, that's not a secret. He did it here on multiple occasions. The point is that if he has to carry the load for an extended period, he breaks down or loses focus or whatever his problem is and craps out. That's why they sheltered the hell out of him in St Louis and had him play in less games than many backups. His numbers were great but so were Halak's. And when the playoffs started, despite his amazing stats, the team went with Halak (which appeared to be the right decision given how terrible he was when he was forced in because of Halak's injury).

His own team clearly didn't trust him to carry the load so why should anyone here think any differently?

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote