HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2012, 02:22 AM
michaelshu

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
broke the glass for the 2nd time with a slapper

Old
07-18-2012, 06:24 AM
29Potvins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Most of the guys who play in China/HK are expats or teachers. The level of play is a mix of advanced to elite level of play.

There's fewer intermediate and beginner players here, as this sport isn't prevalent, so the most of the guys who play started playing when they're young.
Cool! I've seen a couple of mall rinks when I went to HK a couple years ago, hopefully the sport grows there. Love to have a skate there even if I would suck haha

Old
07-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
Cool! I've seen a couple of mall rinks when I went to HK a couple years ago, hopefully the sport grows there. Love to have a skate there even if I would suck haha
Most of the games are played at Megabox I believe.

I've skated at Element and Festival Walk. The rink at the Festival Walk rink didn't allow hockey skates and I brought my own. I spazzed out at them for 5 minutes straight and at least they let me use the lockers for free. Neither of those rinks can support a proper hockey game. Never been to Megabox.

I've also seen a few inline rinks near Prince Edward station (I think it was around there). They sell some overpriced hockey gear there as well.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:58 AM
AIREAYE

Grabbed a Ryan Potulny pro-stock RS stick, a pair of X:60 gloves for the younger bro and, get this, a JR TPS XN10 shaft for the bro for $20. Ridiculous.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Looked at about half a dozen sticks. So up in the air...

- clearance X60?
- full priced APX?
- Nexus 600?
- Nexus 1000?
- wait for the new CCM?
- pick up a Base shaft to go with my new blade?
- pick up a Warrior shaft on sale?

Most likely will go with the Warrior shaft, then stare longingly at the $200 OPS as I don't have much money.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:28 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

- clearance X60?
- full priced APX?
- Nexus 600?
- Nexus 1000?
- wait for the new CCM?

Most likely will go with the Warrior shaft, then stare longingly at the $200 OPS as I don't have much money.
Just one more month!

Old
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It sounds pretty cool.

But then I think how much I liked my X60, and I think that expanded blade throat helped with accuracy. I've been missing a lot to the side with my whippy sticks...

Then I also think of the APX vs Nexus, and how I've always wanted to try a top hand kick, but maybe that would be counter-productive since it might lag the shot release, and I never got on with the One95...

Then I think of my wallet, and how getting a tapered shaft would be affordable and durable, and I could pair it with whatever blade...

Then I think why spend $90 on a shaft if I can spend a little more for a clearance X60, but then I could spend a little more on a new APX or Nexus...

It just never ends.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:48 PM
AIREAYE

I feel your pain dude...

Old
07-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Chopped the blade off my old TPS Response. I had been trying to chisel the blade out and decided to just cut higher. Worked perfect to take tapered blades now. Just a 3" plug on the other side. Now have a high end, light weight intermediate tapered shaft.

Now to scrape/sand off the white paint and re-do it so it doesn't look as ghetto...

Old
07-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Chadley
The Big Dirty

Quote:
It sounds pretty cool.

But then I think how much I liked my X60, and I think that expanded blade throat helped with accuracy. I've been missing a lot to the side with my whippy sticks...

Then I also think of the APX vs Nexus, and how I've always wanted to try a top hand kick, but maybe that would be counter-productive since it might lag the shot release, and I never got on with the One95...

Then I think of my wallet, and how getting a tapered shaft would be affordable and durable, and I could pair it with whatever blade...

Then I think why spend $90 on a shaft if I can spend a little more for a clearance X60, but then I could spend a little more on a new APX or Nexus...

It just never ends.
This was one of the reasons why I don't play in net anymore. Don't get me wrong I still go through alot of player equipment, but it doesn't cost near as much buying goal equipment.

Have you tried the Nexus 1000? I bought a 77 flex (cut it down, so about 87 flex) kane curve. It amazing how much little effort you need to release a hard snap shot. Compared to my X:60, it's night and day. I love this stick.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No I've looked at it and it looks awesome. I loved my X:60, even though it was a 75 flex intermediate and too stiff (probably). So the 67 flex Nexus would be whippy.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:33 AM
AIREAYE

That seems to be the consensus now: Nexus plays whippy.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:33 AM
esidebill

I'm going to sneak into the local pick up at my rink because they said it is "full". To heck with that! I want to play some damn hockey.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That seems to be the consensus now: Nexus plays whippy.
See when we first got the Nexus in I thought that it was sort of stiff, but that may be because we don't have my flex in stock (70 Flex). The 67 is perfect but obviously too short and would be WAY too whippy with that long of an extension on it, and the 77 after being cut down would be too stiff, probably.

Just sticking with my 70 Flex TPS R8 Lite for now. Love this thing.. perfect flex for me.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:39 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibster31 View Post
This was one of the reasons why I don't play in net anymore. Don't get me wrong I still go through alot of player equipment, but it doesn't cost near as much buying goal equipment.

Have you tried the Nexus 1000? I bought a 77 flex (cut it down, so about 87 flex) kane curve. It amazing how much little effort you need to release a hard snap shot. Compared to my X:60, it's night and day. I love this stick.
This is some great info and would probably exactly what I would do to the stick. Get a 77 Kane and cut it to about an 84. I've been using a TotalOne with the Richards Curve (P106), but I only got that curve b/c it was on sale in the LE form. Kane is my favorite curve and I want to go back to it.

When I bought the TO I was playing defense, but now I'm playing center again and I would love to get a stick with a quick release. Now I don't follow the Bauer guidlines (or peoples misconception of those guidelines) religiously i.e. that Supreme is for defense and Vapor is for offense, but since starting at center again I can tell the TO is not built for my style of play anymore. Don't get me wrong it is still great stick and plenty of NHL forwards use it, but in order for me to get the kind of power on my shots that I want I'm having to load it up and I feel sometimes that means telegraphing my shot to the goalie. It would also help if I stopped hitting him with the puck and picked my corners a little better. Ah well.

Man that $250 price tag is rough though. I thought maybe the RBZ would be a little cheaper but it looks like that is going to be $250 as well. At least I have a $50 gift card and I'll probably sell my Vapor X60 for around $50 to take the sting off a bit.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sometimes I wonder about the flex vs kickpoint, and how much stiffness I should have. I think if I feel the stick whipping, it might be too much.

My old X:60 I was probably the most accurate and I had the best scoring with, and that was a 75 flex intermediate that played stiffer than rated. I had a Base rep test the flex (granted it was cut down) but he was surprised, saying it felt like almost as stiff as his stick, which was 100 flex.

If I were to go Nexus, I might even bump up to the 77 flex, although I'd probably hack off the entire top whip portion and negate it since I'd have to cut maybe 8-10 inches? I also don't like the square/concave walls.

Right now, I kind of want to see how this Base blade works out. If I like the lower lie and open face, maybe I'll splurge on a new shaft to go with it. Otherwise I'll probably check out clearance X:60 and Widows and maybe the Sherwood N12.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:07 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
broke the glass for the 2nd time with a slapper
haha well done! I would be so proud of that!

today I...got my green biscuit out to try some stick handling first time since the broken wrist. Decided not to try again for another week.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:23 AM
robmneilson

Quote:

- clearance X60?
- full priced APX?
- Nexus 600?
- Nexus 1000?
- wait for the new CCM?

I LOVED both x:60's I had....I would maybe bite on one if the price is good. Great sticks, only problem with them is that my blade cracked in half on each. Still I was able to get nearly a year out of each.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:26 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder about the flex vs kickpoint, and how much stiffness I should have. I think if I feel the stick whipping, it might be too much.

If I were to go Nexus, I might even bump up to the 77 flex, although I'd probably hack off the entire top whip portion and negate it since I'd have to cut maybe 8-10 inches? I also don't like the square/concave walls.

Otherwise I'll probably check out clearance X:60 and Widows and maybe the Sherwood N12.
I know that I got a Winnwell Gx8 in the whip flex a while back and I could actually feel it flexing when I shot. To me that means it is too whippy.

I thought you said you were 5'8 or 5'9. If so you should only need to cut off to about 84 flex as that is what I cut off and I'm 5'9. Although you may like your stick a lot shorter.

I've only heard good things about the N12.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm 5'8 and use the sticks about an inch below the chin in skates (sometimes a bit longer or shorter). I think I cut 3-4" off most intermediates. Maybe 6-8" off senior sticks. Which would bring them from ~75 to ~105 flex.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm 5'8 and use the sticks about an inch below the chin in skates (sometimes a bit longer or shorter). I think I cut 3-4" off most intermediates. Maybe 6-8" off senior sticks. Which would bring them from ~75 to ~105 flex.
just to add to the confusion, there's also the miken z9 which is on closeout at a few places and has been getting some rave reviews. comes in a sr. 70 flex @ 60" and an int. 65 flex @ 58".

Old
07-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
just to add to the confusion, there's also the miken z9 which is on closeout at a few places and has been getting some rave reviews. comes in a sr. 70 flex @ 60" and an int. 65 flex @ 58".
I saw that, had great reviews over at Mod Squad.

I would like manufacturers to make 70 instead of 75 flex sticks. There's little difference between the 75 and 85 at retail, might as well make your whip flex truly whippy, like TPS used to.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:26 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
I saw that, had great reviews over at Mod Squad.

I would like manufacturers to make 70 instead of 75 flex sticks. There's little difference between the 75 and 85 at retail, might as well make your whip flex truly whippy, like TPS used to.
agreed, but I think players like us are in the minority.
my favorite stick so far was an int 75 flex totalone, but I snapped the thing in half in less than 2 mo. really surprised me since my x60 in the same configuration lasted over a year before it snapped. and although I'm on the heavy side, I don't have that heavy a shot.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:14 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Picked up a used TotalOne to see if it'll help me with one-timers.

Any of you guys who use int. sticks have this problem? Like your wristers & snappers are awesome but when it comes to one timers it's just too whippy.

My APX is 67 flex cut down to 75, really awesome for quick shots but I have to put my lower hand lower to be able to execute a less-whippy one timer. Should I just go for a higher flex?

Old
07-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
Picked up a used TotalOne to see if it'll help me with one-timers.

Any of you guys who use int. sticks have this problem? Like your wristers & snappers are awesome but when it comes to one timers it's just too whippy.

My APX is 67 flex cut down to 75, really awesome for quick shots but I have to put my lower hand lower to be able to execute a less-whippy one timer. Should I just go for a higher flex?
I have similar issues. I'm 5'10 175lb and I use a 75 flex barely cut down, so maybe 78 flex?

I never do one timer slap shots. I usually go for a one time snap shot. It's a lot easier to connect, much quicker and easier to aim. Also a lot harder for the goalie to anticipate because you don't have a massive wind up looking ready to go.

Closed Thread