HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kane v. Tavares

Old
07-17-2012, 06:13 PM
JKP

vCash: 500
Kane v. Tavares

On TSN they're talking about the new deal that's being worked on for Evander Kane and they're comparing him to Tavares (and Kessel).

I don't think Kane is in the same league as JT at all, but maybe (probably) I'm biased.

Right now, I don't think there is any player I'd trade JT for in the NHL except Crosby or maybe Malkin (I'd have to think about Toews).

I really believe JT's talent, hand-eye coordination, discipline and compete level will make him one of the top 5 players in the NHL. I don't see Kane in that league.

So, is Kane comparable to JT? Is it apples to apples or a 1 to 1a or Kane a full tier below JT? I think it's the latter and thus was surprised to hear JT used as a comparable.

Thoughts?

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht

JT is better than both Kane's put together, Patrick and Evander.

I honestly wouldn't trade him for anyone.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Different styles of play and there's no question JT is the better player but Evander Kane is an awesome player that I'd love to have on this team. I don't think they were comparing them as similar players, they were using JT's contract as an example of something it'd take to get Kane signed long term. It's not going to be equal just somewhere in the ballpark.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
RWWallpaper

JT is well on his way to being a top 3 player in this league...for as much as I love Kane's game, he's not getting anywhere near that rarefied air...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:40 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Different styles of play and there's no question JT is the better player but Evander Kane is an awesome player that I'd love to have on this team. I don't think they were comparing them as similar players, they were using JT's contract as an example of something it'd take to get Kane signed long term. It's not going to be equal just somewhere in the ballpark.
Yeah, that's where it started, but then they started comparing points and how many points Kane had in his contract year vs. Tavares and then they started comparing leadership and off-ice responsibilities...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Original Rob

I agree that JT should become one of the top-5 players in the NHL. He is special.

Kane's a really solid player, the kind of PF the Isles wish they had in Nino. But JT is in another class.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Rob View Post
I agree that JT should become one of the top-5 players in the NHL. He is special.

Kane's a really solid player, the kind of PF the Isles wish they had in Nino. But JT is in another class.
Kanes been in the league for like 4 years now, lets give Nino a chance before you guys throw him under the bus! It took Bertuzzi, Penner, Kesler, Smyth,...etc, like five years before they became good powerforwards. Todays fans for immediate self satisfaction is simply embarrassing. I'm glad Garth doesn't think like a lot of these young fans if he did, he would be Milbury!!

AndThereGoesGrabner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Rob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThereGoesGrabner View Post
Kanes been in the league for like 4 years now, lets give Nino a chance before you guys throw him under the bus! It took Bertuzzi, Penner, Kesler, Smyth,...etc, like five years before they became good powerforwards. Todays fans for immediate self satisfaction is simply embarrassing. I'm glad Garth doesn't think like a lot of these young fans if he did, he would be Milbury!!
So the one takeaway you got from my comment was that Nino is a bust and I want to trade him for Trevor Linden?

Last edited by Kevin27nyi: 07-17-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:13 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThereGoesGrabner View Post
Since Kesler is one of my favorite players I have to say it. Kesler is NOT a power forward, he's a two-way forward. He also plays center.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
ScaredStreit

Kane's a good player, but he's not really on the same level as Tavares. I suspect they were just comparing contracts because Tavares's contract may be the new benchmark in locking up young players up until UFA (before they go on a monster year like Tavares just had). In that case-it makes sense. That's not knock on Kane, I'd take on the Isles in a second.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:11 AM
IslandersFan17

Kane doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Tavares.

HOWEVER, people understand JT signed a pretty friendly deal for a player of his stature and talent. JT's contract is not earth shattering and there will be players in this league, like Kane, who are the best player on so-so teams- and will expect to be paid like a top tier player to stick around.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote