Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devin Setoguchi

Old
07-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

vCash: 500
Power Forward what? Which Setoguchi did we get?

No but really, He didn't impress me too well, he wasn't really that pure goalscorer that I expected but I really do think he will click with granlund and pot in the easy goals next season from MiGs passes.

31 goals next year.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
nickschultzfan

I don't think Setoguchi has a high hockey IQ. I think he has been successful based on his speed and quality shot. But he doesn't seem to be the guy to read the play and create something out of nothing. He doesn't have a low hockey IQ, like, say, Pouliot, but it's probably average. It will be interesting to see how he works with Granlund.

Seto and Gaborik have a lot of the same skills (ok Gaborik was a little faster and had a little better shot), but I think the strength of Gaborik was his ability to see scoring chances.

That said, I'm giving him a bit of a pass last year. Weird accident. Injuries. And then being forced to play with guys he didn't really have chemistry with (Heatley and Koivu). Maybe if he's properly slotted on the 2nd line he'll be more effective.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gabby also had the ability to stickhandle at full speed as well as make plays with the puck (not just passing but the ability to evade or maneuver around defenders). When healthy, Gabby is a true all star players, a 40+ goal scorer. Setoguchi is a 25+ goal guy, a secondary scorer. Valuable at $3M but not so much if he were $5M+.

I know I got a lot of crap for writing it, but I do believe he will be fairly easily replaced by guys like Coyle and Zucker in a couple years.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I know I got a lot of crap for writing it, but I do believe he will be fairly easily replaced by guys like Coyle and Zucker in a couple years.
I see what you're saying - I could see Coyle playing the same type of game as Setoguchi.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I think Seto should break out this season. Like others have said I didn't know he was hurt last year, and this had a bad effect on his numbers. This season I would think somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 goals seems reasonable based on who his line mates will be.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
honestly this is one of the reasons why i am excited to watch Seto this year. Last year he was pretty much given a 1st line spot. Now he will be competing with cullen and our increased depth and prospects for a second line spot. If he doesn't produce he could easily find himself on the third line or on the trading block once again.

I just feel that a little pressure from behind will help push seto a little harder. At the same time, he wont have the pressure to be a first line player. When combined with stable, talented linemates he is set up for success.

If he has any interest in staying here (which he may not) he very well better produce this year.

Last edited by Casper: 07-17-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
honestly this is one of the reasons why i am excited to watch Seto this year. Last year he was pretty much given a 1st line spot. Now he will be competing with cullen and our increased depth and prospects for a second line spot. If he doesn't produce he could easily find himself on the third line or on the trading block once again.

I just feel that a little pressure from behind will help push seto a little harder. At the same time, he wont have the pressure to be a first line player. When combined with stable, talented linemates he is set up for success.

If he has any interest in staying here (which he may not) he very well better produce this year.
Considering how we're getting set to make Cup runs in a year or two, you would think that almost everyone would want to stay here for that. Surely Seto sees that.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I see what you're saying - I could see Coyle playing the same type of game as Setoguchi.

Also agree..see him used for the next two seasons until they(Coyle,Zucker and co) are ready and he is ready for his big UFA overpayment day..

As far as this season goes looking at his last 3 years:

San Jose-70GP 22G
San Jose-72GP 20G
Minnesota-69GP 19G

I think those numbers speak for themselves that 30 might be a reach..I don't think we are any deeper offensively than San Jose was in those seasons..

If he scores 25 I will be more than happy with his production and I hope he proves me wrong at pots 30

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Considering how we're getting set to make Cup runs in a year or two, you would think that almost everyone would want to stay here for that. Surely Seto sees that.
I asked him about how he liked Minnesota during the Final Five in the suite level and his response was "Well I'm here for a couple more years so we'll see"

He didn't seem overzealous about Minnesota at all. But that could also be cause he was dealing with a slightly intoxicated diehard Sioux/Wild fan

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
I asked him about how he liked Minnesota during the Final Five in the suite level and his response was "Well I'm here for a couple more years so we'll see"

He didn't seem overzealous about Minnesota at all. But that could also be cause he was dealing with a slightly intoxicated diehard Sioux/Wild fan
lot has changed since then. We'll see; if that's how he feels then so be it - the wild and him can go their separate ways with no hard feelings.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Seto will be just fine. He didn't have the best season last year, but the season as a whole was one big (shakes head) Anyways, he is healthy it seems now going into this year, and with the waterbugs on his line dishing things out, I think he is in for some serious fun whenever we can get this next season started.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post

Some of the comments that Seto has made on Twitter make it seem like he REALLY misses CA. I'm not trying to read into it too much, but I could definitely see him heading back out to the west coast if he gets the chance.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:51 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Some of the comments that Seto has made on Twitter make it seem like he REALLY misses CA. I'm not trying to read into it too much, but I could definitely see him heading back out to the west coast if he gets the chance.
If he even considers leaving as free agent we should trade him at hist last year..

If GM's hype him as much as HF'ers do we could get a good overpayment for him..

We could end up with a 1st and prospect for him..

Remember, its fletcher

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:24 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Personally, I don't give a rats behind if Setoguchi "enjoys" playing for Minnesota as long as he produces. And if he is going to sulk and carry that with him on the ice, he is only hurting himself by limiting his future value and earnings potential.

That being said, it must've been pretty tough for all the players last season. Winning cures all ills and hopefully we'll see more wins and more production out of Setoguchi as well.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:29 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i don't think it's unreasonable that a young guy really into club music and (from SJ fans input) the "nightlife" would prefer to spend his time on the West coast. doesn't mean he dislikes the team or has a bad attitude about playing here any more than Parise wasn't giving it his all in NJ. nothing to get worried about. As Muck said, winning cures all ills.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:48 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

And with his BFF Mitchell on board now, too...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Hay guise!

Setoguchi to Carolina/Pittsburgh/Detroit/Buffalo/Islanders/Winnipeg/Columbus/Edmonton/Calgary???

Plz!

---

Seriously, what's with the sudden interest in Seto on the Trade Board? I know he just got off a down year, but it's like he's Public Enemy #1 or something.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's not coming from our side. We know better than to sell low.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
In an ideal world, Gooch is just a placeholder for Coyle, Phillips, Zucker, etc.

If he has a great season, trading him before he hits UFA would probably be wise.

Keep feeding the system picks and prospects, developing them, and deal all but the very best when they get too expensive or to fill needs.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
In an ideal world, Gooch is just a placeholder for Coyle, Phillips, Zucker, etc.

If he has a great season, trading him before he hits UFA would probably be wise.

Keep feeding the system picks and prospects, developing them, and deal all but the very best when they get too expensive or to fill needs.
Either that, or keep him around and push him to an anchor on a 3rd line if we find we have the horses to run 3 offensive lines and a 4th checking line.

Honestly, I look at Seto as a guy who would rip it up (relative, anyway, 25/30) against lesser QoC. He doesn't have the head to keep up with his body at the pace the game is played on the top line, but he does have the body to push around lesser QoC.

Put him on an offensively geared 3rd line, give him some easier zone starts and matchups. Keep him on the 2nd PP unit... That's where I see Seto really shining. I just don't get a top-6 forward vibe from him.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

There has always been in interest in Seto on the trade board. Nearly every Wild proposal always involves one of Seto or Clutter.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Either that, or keep him around and push him to an anchor on a 3rd line if we find we have the horses to run 3 offensive lines and a 4th checking line.

Honestly, I look at Seto as a guy who would rip it up (relative, anyway, 25/30) against lesser QoC. He doesn't have the head to keep up with his body at the pace the game is played on the top line, but he does have the body to push around lesser QoC.

Put him on an offensively geared 3rd line, give him some easier zone starts and matchups. Keep him on the 2nd PP unit... That's where I see Seto really shining. I just don't get a top-6 forward vibe from him.
Uh oh you just didn't go there. Oh well

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
Well, lets think about this for a minute.

If Granlund can handle 2nd line C, Coyle, Larsson, Zucker, Bulmer AND Phillips all end up playing this year or next year and show they belong in the top-9...

That leaves us with Koivu, Granlund, Brodziak, Cullen (if he's still around), Konopka and maybe Phillips as C's. Heater, Seto, Bouchard, Parise, Coyle, Larsson, Zucker and Bulmer as wingers.

That's 4-6 C's, 3 of which should be top-6 if they hit their ceilings, and anywhere from 5-8 guys who belong in the top-9, most of which can be top-6.

Is this a realistic outcome? Absolutely not. Is it possible? For sure. That's going to leave us with at least one line that really shouldn't be playing the traditional checking role.

Edit: totally forgot about Clutterbuck, who I think we all agree belongs on the 3rd line, and could play wing opposite Seto on a 3rd line with a pass-first center...

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Cullen can play wing and both he and Butch are UFA's next summer.

I honestly think Cullen-Brodziak-Clutterbuck will be the third line.

Seto with Clutter and Cullen IMO looked pretty mediocre last year.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
The Wild certainly seem to be collecting a lot of guys that could be effective 3rd liners and still provide offense: Larsson for example. Who's to say he won't eventually put up 2nd line numbers playing on a 3rd line?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote