HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

John Erskine

Old
07-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
According to NHL.com Ward saw a total of 153 minutes of ice time in the playoffs.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:14 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
According to me Erskine saw a total of 37 minutes of ice time in the playoffs.

It will be a mistake to move him for a lame duck draft pick. Internet conspiracy fabrication grade lingering shoulder notwithstanding. He is the only Dman in the organization that will consistently attempt to clear the crease. Like a man.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So 1 goal and 5 points in 14 playoff games after scoring 9 goals and putting up 17 points in his previous 18 playoffs games is 'living up to his history?'

I don't know if I would agree...
keep in mind that ward played 20:25 average toi for nashville in those playoffs. thats more than ovechkin and every other forward on the caps played other than backstrom.
ward played 10:56. almost half of his preds toi.

ward played 2:58 average pp/toi for the preds in the playoffs. only backstrom (3:02) and ovechkin (3:34) had more than that in these past playoffs for he caps. ward's playoff pp toi?? 0:04.

you just can't compare the two.

even with all that ward was tied for 5th on the caps in playoff scoring. FIFTH and he barely got to play. he had the same number of even strenth points as Ovechkin.

Last edited by txpd: 07-18-2012 at 08:32 AM.
txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:30 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
even with all that ward was tied for 5th on the caps in playoff scoring. FIFTH and he barely got to play. he had the same number of even strenth points as Ovechkin.
...and more points than the guy some can't seem to let go of.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:35 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
...and more points than the guy some can't seem to let go of.
yea, semin and everyone else. ward's points per minute of toi had to lead the team.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Maybe Ward would have gotten that TOI had he actually played harder during the regular season. I think Semin gave a better effort than he did.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:46 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Maybe Ward would have gotten that TOI had he actually played harder during the regular season. I think Semin gave a better effort than he did.
Ward's effort wasn't in question to me. I thought he played well most of the season, just wasn't getting points with all the random linemates and ice time. But whatever.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
According to NHL.com Ward saw a total of 153 minutes of ice time in the playoffs.
I said I didn't know why you framed it that way. It's like you thought that sounded like more time and therefore made you right. He played just over 10 per game. Very little ice time. I'll take the fact that you ignored the rest of my post as your acknowledgement that I'm right.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:55 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
According to me Erskine saw a total of 37 minutes of ice time in the playoffs.

It will be a mistake to move him for a lame duck draft pick. Internet conspiracy fabrication grade lingering shoulder notwithstanding. He is the only Dman in the organization that will consistently attempt to clear the crease. Like a man.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
keep in mind that ward played 20:25 average toi for nashville in those playoffs. thats more than ovechkin and every other forward on the caps played other than backstrom.
ward played 10:56. almost half of his preds toi.

ward played 2:58 average pp/toi for the preds in the playoffs. only backstrom (3:02) and ovechkin (3:34) had more than that in these past playoffs for he caps. ward's playoff pp toi?? 0:04.

you just can't compare the two.

Watch me.

Ward scored 5 ES goals in 185 ES minutes for the Preds in the '11 playoffs. He scored 1 ES goal in 152 ES minutes for the Caps this year.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
txpd

Quote:
Ward's effort wasn't in question to me. I thought he played well most of the season, just wasn't getting points with all the random linemates and ice time. But whatever.
if you look at ward's fina two seasons in nashville, his regular season numbers per minute played match up closely with his caps numbers. in 2010-11 ward played average toi of 17:05 and had 10 goals. for the caps he played 12:25 and scored 6.

its not about his effort. IMO the playoff game comes to his strenths OR his strenth and stamina degrades less from the start of the season to the playoffs than most players which gives him an advantage.

Old
07-18-2012, 09:00 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
I didn't know the player before he came here but I saw ~1.5M grade play. I suspected he had Fat Cat disease. Chimera had a hot hand but IMO not because of Ward.

It took about 3 months before I finally saw him attempt a respectable hit - I think it took a benching. Not positive but I thought he started to fall out of favor with Bruce and then Dale too.

I expect a certain game from my 3/4 RW position -specifically forecheck hit and be physical, take some of the pressure off of Ovi. Wear down Dmen by doing more than holding pucks in your skates on the boards.

Old
07-18-2012, 09:02 AM
txpd

Quote:
Watch me.

Ward scored 5 ES goals in 185 ES minutes for the Preds in the '11 playoffs. He scored 1 ES goal in 152 ES minutes for the Caps this year.
or....ward scored 8 es points in the playoffs and scored 5 with the caps. ward of course was playing on the 1st line with the preds and the 4th line with the caps. do you think that had any effect?

ward also lead the preds in playoff pp points.

its also worth noting that ward's 185 nashville minutes were in 12 games and his 152 caps minutes were in 14 games.

Last edited by txpd: 07-18-2012 at 09:08 AM.